Ignoring the Haters is Leaving Half the Passion on the Table

Just a quickie, in advance of Part 2 of the post on how obligate carnivores like African cats, hyenas, wild pack-hunting dogs, and wolves get more carbs than the ketogenic, VLC, and even some of the LC crowd. BTW, you’ve all see bears chow down on wild blueberries, but have you see wolves eating berries?

Anyway, perhaps you recall that Dave “Bulletproof Executive” Asprey weighed in on resistant starch a while back. Not sure how it turned out for him though I heard he stopped it as reported in a podcast, but I didn’t really care, even slightly; he has my email. He’s an N=1 that lots of people take as an N=1 million. Lucky for him, I guess. I figure my own experience is worth the weight of only about N=10 or so. That comment thread has been dead for a while until an email this morning noticing a new comment from anonymous hater, Ritual.

See, I’m always compelled to nurture the haters because of their value to me. So read and learn.

your ego is big for sure and you seem to have no humility … People on your forum may say they like you but, believe it or not, a lot of people hate you for good reasons. […] And for the RS enema, are you serious ? If you’re serious, i need you should see a psychiatrist.

First reply:

Yawn.

First, my blog is more popular than ever. Did you see the comment Dr. William Davis posted last night? Let me answer that: no, you didn’t.

Moreover, you will not find a single mention of advocating an RS enema from me in post or comments. It was an MD who did it to himself as an experiment. But I’m sure you knew that. Which is why you failed to mention it, pinning it on me instead.

You know what they say about haters, right? I’m sure you do.

Have an ice day.

Then, I remembered how much I love the haters and am kind of missing them, lately.

…OK, Ritual, since I’m in a very good mood as is most days by far, now, let me give you a little lesson.

You seem to operate from a premise that I’m bothered by the obvious fact that a lot of people hate me. Open your mind a bit and consider possible motivations. What if, unlike most others, I don’t make much of a distinction between love and hate? What if I simply look at all of it as passion and don’t bother much with the two-sides-of-the-same-coin distinction? What if I think that seeking only love leaves half of the passionate people on the table?

I’m sure you thought that all out, didn’t you?

That said, I’m torn. I’ve gone to great lengths over the years, even to the level of trolling my own blog, Twitter and Facebook so that I always have a good supply of haters on board. You can count on them for energy where lovers sometimes just sit back and bask.

Since I see everything everywhere, either via Google alerts or people shooting me links, some of my cherished haters are finding themselves in corners where former haters have just had to come out and admit, and put it out publicly that I’m doing ground-breaking stuff on the blog in areas of the gut biome, resistant starch as food, and now even the pretty substantial level of carbohydrate obligate carnivores get via fresh kills through liver and tissue glycogen that degrades rapidly. Fresh kills eaten raw are not zero carb by any stretch.

I’m sure you read that post and know all about it, though (it’s the one Dr. Davis commented on).

Anyway, there you go. See, I nourish and pet my haters all the time. Don’t know what I’d do without them.

Have a nice day.

Alright, let me get to work on publishing Part 2 of Duckie’s Revelations.

Update: I’m reminded of the aftermath of AHS11 at UCLA. Bea and I drove back after it ended, stopped at a place for dinner and continued on down to Vista to her parents’ place, who’d been doggie sitting. We got there, ’round 11, just after they had returned from a night out with Bea’s bro who’s my same age, and his very beautiful wife. They’re not big drinkers. Not this night, though. I was sober amongst drunks.

The sister-in-law proceeded to open up to me, across the table, telling my in spitting words how much she used to hate me. “I HAAAAATED YOU!” I lafed. She doesn’t, anymore. Indifference is far harder to overcome—never worth even trying. Hate turns to love pretty easily.

1. Kate Berger on March 7, 2014 at 11:44

Ricardo…you are kinda like Rush Limbaugh. Yeah, I said it. I can’t stand him…but I listen, for awhile, then he bores me so I go away. Then I come back and listen again. But you are much better looking.

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2014 at 21:04

Kate, I was in the States in ’89 immersion French so I could be a competent navigator of a French Navy ship.

I absolutely get what you see in Rush, because that’s when I first heard him and he was rather raw.

I almost never listen now…I’ll go years without hearing him…I still do enjoy parts of what he does. I can’t understand though, why he just doesn’t go all in.

2. John on March 7, 2014 at 11:56

Some of my closest friends are people I openly despised initially. That was a frequent part of childhood. Mutual hatred turned to “why do we hate each other” turned to “wow we’re like best friends.”

That was one of my favorite feelings growing up – hatred turning to friendship. Its probably part why the movie Willow was a favorite as a child.

3. Marc on March 7, 2014 at 12:08

WILLOW!!!

Shared that movie with my kids just a few weeks ago. Gd that was great. Had forgotten all about it.

• John on March 7, 2014 at 13:06

Haha, rewatching as an adult is even better imo. There’s a couple of movies like that (The Princess Bride was one of my favorites then and now, for entirely different reasons).

4. Thomas on March 7, 2014 at 13:23

“Indifference is what kills, not passion. Some love me because of who else hates me and some hate me because of who else loves me but to me, it’s all just a soup of passion. ”

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2014 at 13:43

Hey Thomas.

Mind worm this. So you gave me the opportunity to read my own words in a quote not out of, but removed from context. It was interesting because I had an honest, visceral reaction to it. David Friedman, son of Milton taught me one really great thing: think of the best argument against you.

“Yea, tell that to the terrorists.” Or, take your pick.

So, yea, what I wrote does depend on the context of dealing with relatively normal people.

That said, everybody ought to be totally indifferent to terrorists.

Get it?

5. bornagain on March 7, 2014 at 13:38

Indifference means you’re not challenging yourself or your ideas. Now let’s turn that hate for Jesus into some good loving for Jesus!

6. bornagain on March 7, 2014 at 13:52

Speaking of RS enemas, has anyone tried a protein enema? An RS enema may be redundant as the RS will make it to the lower intestine undigested in any case. However, a protein enema would not be redundant. I wonder how the gut biomass reacts to undigested protein?

• Radford McAwesome on March 7, 2014 at 14:31

Butt chug 60 g of whey isolate and report back.

• bornagain on March 7, 2014 at 14:55

“Butt chug”. Laf!

7. LeonRover on March 7, 2014 at 13:59

. . . . & vice verca.

Sláinte

8. GTR on March 8, 2014 at 05:13

“Anyway, perhaps you recall that Dave “Bulletproof Executive” Asprey weighed in on resistant starch a while back. Not sure how it turned out for him though I heard he stopped it as reported in a podcast, but I didn’t really care, even slightly;”

Apparently he had been trying and failing few times with RS.

This may be an example of classically being stuck in a “local optimum”. He is stuck in a quite good state, unable to move towards the best possible one, because of some temporary difficulties on the road there.

9. EatLessMoveMoore on March 9, 2014 at 21:46

As Jimbo once said, “Haters make me famous.” Oh yeah, Amy Dungan said it, too. Too bad she’s not famous.