The Best General Explanation of Resistant Starch Yet; Eye-Popping 4-Minute Video

There’s nothing like someone making something as simple as possible, but not too simple. It’s perfect, and right after I post this, it will be added to the “Newbies’ Primer” on Resistant Starch.

The Hungry Microbiome: why resistant starch is good for you

Really, share this one around big time. It’s short & sweet, and carries a powerful message.

1. Mart on April 11, 2014 at 13:01

cold roast potatoes – 19% resistant starch? i.e. about half the daily dose recommended by tatertot? Wow!

2. Mart on April 11, 2014 at 13:02

I meant – 19g per approx 4oz. Not difficult to eat that!

3. Mart on April 11, 2014 at 13:29
    • Richard Nikoley on April 11, 2014 at 18:48

I’m sure plenty of women would want to be monkeys if they could look like her.

The thing about Freelee and Duianrider (are they still fucking?) is that they decided to do an Internet business around eating as much fruit as you can shove down your throat.

I could go into the insanity, but if they’re making money on fools, cool. Hope they make millions.

#newrichard

4. Joe Blowe on April 11, 2014 at 12:09

Will be showing this to the wife tonight — she doesn’t have the time to slog through articles and blog postings, but a 4 minute video is right up her alley!

5. Gemma on April 12, 2014 at 02:20

Ha! There is even more there – an interactive page with more infographics. Busy bees, the Australians 🙂

6. James N. on April 11, 2014 at 13:34

The resistant starch plus probiotics are a really big deal for my f’d up gut. I continue to see overall health improvements with the recommended probiotics and resistant starch in bananas, sprouted brown rice, potatoes, potato starch, Anasazi beans, and sprouted lentils. It looks like I will need to see if my gut will handle split peas and white navy beans. Maybe the extra fiber in the beans is helping to clean out my pipes.

7. snakes on a plane on April 11, 2014 at 13:42

I feel that your book release is imminent. Your subtle marketing strategy has been superb. I hope you sell millions of copies. I wish Art Devany used his blog the way you use yours to market publishing efforts.

8. dr j on April 11, 2014 at 14:20

Richard
    smiles for giving our (c)siro bods a plug.
    I sometimes wonder if language structure would help give a little freshness as the subject has been around for a long time, eg in French maison communale is town hall for English.

So if we said , instead of Resistant Starch, we said Starch Resistant, a line of reasoning is opened up in the mind, eg, resistant to what, how etc.
    john
    old ex siro bod

9. Sonia on April 11, 2014 at 19:31

This is awesome!!! So much easier than explaining it all to friends

10. Anne Hornung on April 11, 2014 at 23:17

Hi Richard,

Incredible work here on FTA. In a very short period of time resistant starch has changed my life for the better. Below is a copy of an email just sent to Dr. G, and I decided to post here because it briefly describes my successes supplementing with PS starch as well as eating foods high in RS. In fact, this past week I have been eatng cold French potato salad for breakfast each morning, and wow, body recomp is even more drastic. Anyways, I am very greatful for your hard work, not to mention Tim and Dr. G’s incredible contributions. The skin issues you are about to read about will hopefully be resolved soon.

Best, Anne (25)

—- Email to Dr. G —-

Hi Dr. G,

I have been following Richard’s series on resistant starch since last December, which is when I started supplementing with PS successfully (consistent bowel movements, body recomp, weight stabilization, vivid dreams, more energy, lean gains, etc). After his plug on SBO’s, I started taking Primal Defense and then Prescript Assist several weeks later. My diet since starting the SBO’s has been pretty clean; plenty of green bananas, commercial kombucha, homemade soups loaded with soaked lentils, quinoa, black beans and veggies, Uncle Ben’s parboiled rice, cold French potato salads, farm fresh eggs, and so on. And of course some dark chocolate. 🙂 The reason I am contacting you is because right around the time I started Prescript Assist (late March), I noticed my skin was starting to itch all over. It has slowly gotten worse to the point where it wakes me up each night and it’s insatiable. A little more background on myself. I was born with Urticaria Pigmentosa, though it has never been irritable or bothered me in terms of itching, welts, etc. Simply a condition I’ve lived with that had only been noticeable visually. Too much histamine is known to aggravate the condition. Do you think there’s any possibility my dosage of SBO’s has anything to do with the itching? A quick google search for SBO’s + histamine yielded a few articles that made me wonder if the two were connected, but unfortunately technical “sciencey” jargon isn’t my forte. I’ve never had any known food allergies or other skin issues such as eczema. Of course I realize it could be completely unrelated too. Having grown up overweight and eating a very unhealthy diet until just several years ago, I’m really hoping to continue with SBO’s! On the off-chance this rings any bells related to prebiotics/probiotics or you are able to identify any other connections, I wanted to reach out to you because I sincerely respect and admire the work you, Richard, and Tim have put into the resistant starch/gut bug revolution. Thank you in advance for your time and insights!

11. MRRM on April 12, 2014 at 08:34

I’m a sucker for a dude with an accent, so this video being narrated by an Aussie made it that much better for me. Thanks for sharing. This is great!

• Alie on April 12, 2014 at 16:08

MRRM, was totally going to say the same thing. All that and a sexy accent?? Sold!

Richard,
      Thanks for the link. I’m a visual person, and this definitely helps me explain the process in a more coherent manner.

12. Mike E on April 12, 2014 at 12:33

What is the source for the assertion that potato starch (e.g. Bob’s Red Mill) is 78% resistant starch? I came across this PubMed study which states that raw potato starch has 550g RS/kg, i.e. 55% resistant starch:

13. Tadas on April 13, 2014 at 01:14

Totally offtopic – but food for thought:

We all know that different bacteria prefer different environments (warm, cold, O2, Acid, base …)

So how does cold exposure (or a warm bath) will effect the composition of the microbiome?

• NotYetOK on April 18, 2014 at 07:13

Probably not too much given that we are mammals and maintain our core body temp.
      Possibly more of such influence would be due to the (non)functioning of the thyroid and other internal regulators of body temp rather than a cold or hot bath.
      But this is only my opinion not a fact…

14. michael goroncy on April 13, 2014 at 17:38

Anyone experiencing skin problems with Prescript Assist?
    Have never had skin issues in 65 yrs and 4 months ago took prescipt assist for 2 months (along with R/S). Blemishes and circular, rough spots started to appear around my ankles, palms of my hands and the soul of one foot.
    Saw my GP/PCP who diagnosed psoriasis (he also asked a collegue to have a look and give an opinion) also confirming psoriasis. I asked if they wouldn’d mind calling in someone from the street to give a 3rd opinion. Being a ex ND, I told them their diagnosis was unlikely, and insisted on a skin biopsy. The biopsy tested positive to Eczema….this was 3 weeks ago and the advised treatment was a bath in a half cup of bleach 3 times a week.
    Currently I have as many blotches as clear skin and the itching drives the ‘bejeezus’ out of me.
    It extends from the chest, down to the feet.

Anyone have any idea?…. The only link I have is a possible reaction to ‘Prescript assist’

• Cole Graham on April 16, 2014 at 09:34

I’ve just ordered some prescript assist, and this kind of worries me.

How are you doing now Michael, have you found any other information?

15. gracia on April 18, 2014 at 00:14

I’m also having problems with skin disorder such as eczema with Prescript Assist. But over time it was cured by a cream product from jarvis cosmetics.

By the way, the video seem very informative I prefer to hear Starch Resistant though.

16. michael goroncy on April 17, 2014 at 16:47

I say Yo! Cole
    I don’t think there is any need for concern in your case regarding ‘Prescript Assist’.
    The anecdotal reports from the vast majority of people taking P/A is a strong indication that it is generally non reactive negatively.

I think I am probably in the tiny group that has a reaction to soil based organisms.
    Keep in mind that it may not have been due to P/A, although I strongly suspect in my case that it was. I have an allergy to penicillin.

Eczema covers 80%-90% of my body from the shoulders to my feet…red raw, itchy and scaling.
    The bleach baths were unsuccessful and deterioration continued.
    Unfortunately I have had to resort to antibiotics due to infection and have been prescribed 20 tubes of a topical corticosteroid (1 tube lasts only a day)….both of these I would rather avoid, but I don’t have an option.

As mentioned, don’t get spooked taking P/A…it appears safe and effective for most.
    Would like to hear from anyone experiencing my symptoms.

• gabriella kadar on April 18, 2014 at 09:31

Over at Mr. Heisenbug, Lactobacillus plantarum is all the rage for curing eczema. Go have a read.

• Cole Graham on April 18, 2014 at 09:38

Damn Michael,

I really hope you start healing soon, I can’t imagine what that must be like.

Maybe you should load up on fermented vegetables, Prof. Art Ayers (coolinginflammation.blogspot.ca) says it’s the best way to add more healthy bacteria to your GI tract.

When I was younger I had horrible cystic acne so I know what it’s like to deal with skin problems. I ended up on Accutane and it got rid of 99% of my Acne, although who knows what other damage it’s done to me.

What’s funny is that I just started a paleo diet with potato starch supplementation a week ago and I can’t believe how clear my skin is! Accutane solved most of the problem years ago, but I still had a lot of white-heads, zits, and oily skin until I got on Paleo. I’m also sleeping like a baby.

It drives me mad that doctors always told me Acne had NOTHING to do with diet! I can’t believe it!

17. Lawrence Badman on May 17, 2019 at 10:43

Lawrence
    How do you get Lactobacillus plantarum into your system Not sure about Probiotics passing
    The stomach acid.