I’ll Be Hosting the Famous Livin’ La Vida Low Carb Show

April 28, 2014.

Tim Steele and Dr. BG “Grace” are my unconfirmed but planned guests and they are going to get a grilling about this whole resistant starch deal.

My role, in respect of my benefactor, will be to play it military pro and straight, for his audience.

April 28.

Update: No, folks, it wasn’t and is not an April Fools. More accurately, given all the emails, tweets and FB comments by those who were sure it was, it’s an April Fools, April Fools joke. How clever is that? A serendipitous deal so outlandish and unexpected, that people aren’t going to be fooled. But they are after all.

So, I have now raised the bar and set the standard for all future best April Fools jokes: when people are convinced they’re not fooled; but that’s what makes them fooled, after all. It’s complicated.

1. Honora on April 2, 2014 at 04:18

Looking forward to it!

2. Annika on April 2, 2014 at 06:50

Yay! I’ve listened to all the RS podcasts I can find. Can’t wait to hear it! Think you’ll be able to keep a lid on the F-bombs? 😉

3. Lincoln on April 2, 2014 at 07:11

April fools?

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 08:42

Lincoln, gotta admit it would have made a great April Fools, and I have a few emails asking the same thing.

But nope, it’s legit.

4. Mark Krigbaum on April 2, 2014 at 07:28

Looking forward to the RS podcast. I’ve been doing fine on Paleo/LC with a few safe starches but I find myself looking for RS in all the previously forbidden carb foods so I can start eating them guilt free. For instance I love goetta – pork, beef steel cut oats, spices. Any idea how to find the RS content of steel cut oats? Can you just read the label and find the part on fiber? I’m really wishing there are some because I do eat goetta on the weekends with eggs and love it and so far no problems for me.

5. Jimmy Moore on April 2, 2014 at 08:51

Nope, not a joke. It’s real you guys. Since I’ve been away writing my next book, I haven’t had a chance to interview Richard about RS. So why not give him the microphone for an hour to give my listeners a primer on this important topic. THANKS for your work, Richard.

6. Chris on April 2, 2014 at 10:31

Looking forward to it but would love a debate between Jimmy and yourself after reading your post on how a ketogenic diet is probably harmful for most people. Quite ironic as Jimmy is currently writing Keto Clarity!

7. David on April 2, 2014 at 11:20

Wow. This sure goes a long way in explaining why Richard is so loathe to criticize a young Earth creationist acting as de facto kingmaker in the Paleo movement. And Chris: Jimmy will never debate Richard or anyone else over RS. He wants the discussion in a safe space for which he controls the parameters – certainly not a debate that could actually change his mind (which is as unchangeable as the books of the Bible).

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 11:49

David:

I shit on religion/creationism all the time, on this blog. Jimmy is very well aware of this. But he also knows how I insist on being a good guest in someone else’s house, because I think too much of myself to do otherwise.

I have lots of creationists in my life: family, friends, and colleagues. All are very well aware of not only my position, but my blog, and how vitriolic it is. I just don’t make it personal in the sense of calling out individuals.

Given that, 2 questions:

1. Since I never back down from saying I think it’s all a bunch of hokum and puffle (actually, I use far worse words) here and will never, remind me how it’s bad that someone who still believes, invites the vampire in the front door.

2. Is it conceivable that Jimmy is actually simply doing an open and honest thing? After all, he’s had on tons of people over the years he disagrees with (vegans to ZC, everything in-between), and he still takes endless shit. So now, he actually has a guest host of my awful caliber, so far different from Jimmy it’s hard to know where to begin, and it has to be spun as “wow, bad?”

Methinks you’re just fucked up in your head.

BTW, you’re not ELMM in drag, are you?

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 11:59

…And incidentally, David, would you have me pass up the opportunity to speak directly to his thousands of followers about the potential benefits of resistant starch that may improve their lives, simply because Jimmy holds views I personally find ridiculous and have never hidden the fact from him.

So let me get this straight. In honor of Shiite Fundamentalist Evolution, I excommunicate Jimmy and spit on every opportunity he graciously extends me to speak to his audience when I might be able to offer them some helpful tips that might make their LC regime better via resistant starch?

Or, is it that I need to be a Shiite Fundamentalist Resistant Starch person and only allow those into the Kingdom of Heaven, who have sworn of LCatan and embraced the Rtruth and the Slight?

Just how evil of mind, heart and conscience are you, David?

8. Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 12:05

From Jimmy’s email last night, in case anyone thinks I have a leash or anything:

“Okay, here’s the deal buddy: Since I’m still away writing my next book and I’m genuinely interested in my podcast listeners hearing more about resistant starch, I’d love to have you guest host my podcast for an hour with a basic primer, RS 101 show by you. Just outline what it is, why it’s important, the benefits it provides, any potential concerns, and more. It’s YOUR hour to do whatever you’d like and I’ll air it on Monday, April 28, 2014. All I need is the audio file, photos, URLs to link in the show notes, and a synopsis of what you talked about by Friday, April 25, 2014. Are you game? Lemme know.”

Yep, you heard it here first: the nefarious, scheming Jimmy. Man, do we ever have an evil plan.

9. Kati on April 2, 2014 at 19:26

Richard, I knew I loved you and your personal integrity. I found Jimmy Moore first, via the Fathead channel, and then found you awhile later. My personal beliefs are in line with Jimmy’s as far as religion go, but I have deep respect for you and what you are doing here for the health of all. 🙂 I am a loyal reader ( for the past year or two) and have enjoyed your series and comments sections on all things potato, resistant starch and the inbetweens. Thanks to you, TT Tim, and Dr. BG, I’m getting healthier based on your findings.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 21:36

Thanks for putting up with me, Kati. Lots of people don’t get it, I do. Lots of people prefer direct to always simply being told what others think they want to hear.

10. MC on April 2, 2014 at 20:10

Clearly Jimmy Moore will edit the footage to make Richard admit to some sort of crime, then frame him. It would be rather funny, if an innocent man weren’t walking himself towards a prison cell.

• LeonRover on April 3, 2014 at 02:55

Clearly ?

Only to an “en minus one”.
      You clearly in a black hole.

A prediction that will bite the dust.

What is gigglingly funny is your use of innocent & prison.

Ah is laffin’ my Irish arse off.

• Janet on April 3, 2014 at 05:47

Get a life, man. Do you ever listen to Jimmy? Now, bye. I’m off to live my life. Cheers.

11. James on April 3, 2014 at 06:24

Hey, you both have to make money and allow the wheels to keep spinning, . I understand.
    Maybe some of his listeners who follow their “Healthy low carb lifestyle” will start to start questioning things.

• Richard Nikoley on April 3, 2014 at 07:40

James

I’m all for everyone questioning anything and I believe Jimmy is too, which is why his podcast over the years has had PLENTY of voices of disagreement, from vegans to zero carbers and everything in-between. Sure, his bias comes through but there’s no such thing as no bias. Better to just say yea, I’m biased, now STFU and listen.

Anyway, it’s not my intention or purpose to use his show as a platform to dis him or his ideas, but to help those of his listening audience so inclined, to use resistant starch to their benefit, even while remaining LC. At most, I might mention that the results seem most pronounced with those on more moderate carb diets but it’s undeniable that many strict VLC and LC folks, even diabetics have found benefit with RS, to that is the plan.

Now, if the experience later get them to question LC, that’s all fair game and Jimmy would be the first to agree.

Last night, Tom Naughton tweeted out to Jimmy and I that the RS is working great for him, that he just had a baked potato and BG peaked at 126 and that he’s drifting to a PHD style diet. Jimmy said ‘nice, whatever works for you, man.’

12. Kim C. on April 3, 2014 at 09:27

I believe I found the Free the Animal blog by listening to Richard as a guest on the LLVLC podcast years ago. I owe Jimmy lots of credit for getting me moving in the right direction to improve my health. I’ve moved on from LC and Jimmy’s podcasts (in general – I’ve listened to a few here or there recently), but I’ll be forever indebted to Jimmy for helping me get going and losing 6o pounds, going from near 200 to near 140.

Anyway, I think both Jimmy and Richard have good intentions and a lot of knowledge under their belts. I respect both of them for what they do in their respective circles. Looking forward to hearing this podcast episode!

• Richard Nikoley on April 3, 2014 at 09:43

“I believe I found the Free the Animal blog by listening to Richard as a guest on the LLVLC podcast years ago”

April, 2009, I believe.

It was a big deal for me. I already had a decent blog following and every road trip down to LA and back (7-8hr drive) it was one LLVLC show after another, fed from my iPhone into the Beemer system. I’d skip the odd ones but for sure, heard all the folks whose names we recognize.

It royally pisses me off that I never hear a word of at least: THANKS JIMMY FOR GIVING ME FREE SO MUCH VARIED INFO I GET TO USE TO SHIT ON YOU. I mean, his PERSONAL attackers are so very loathsome that they can’t even acknowledge that 90% of the shit they use, he and a guest that spent his/her time, handed them.

…Anyway, since Bea was hearing these at the same time, she once said, “so when are YOU going to be on?” Serendipitously, I soon got the nod from Jimmy. Moreover, it tickled Bea to death over time how my name would come up in shows here and there.

Thanks Kim. Yes, I’ve also moved on a bit (I still catch a show now & then), but just like moving away from home, it’s always good to come back for a visit, eh? So hosting Jimmy’s program is a very exciting, solemn honor for me, for exactly the same reasons.

But everyone should move on, really. Visits are then always heartfelt for all. I’ve said many times that my blog should be a revolving door. Drop a comment now & then, for sure, you should not NEED to read my blog to know how to be your own animal.

13. David6 on April 4, 2014 at 10:43

Hi, Richard. I’m considering adding potato starch into my diet through a shake. I am planning on combining 4 tbsp potato starch, 1 green banana, whey protein and some splenda. Do you think the whey or splenda will impact the RS?

Also, I use a nutribullet to make my smoothies. Do you think that will change the RS in a negative way? It is a pretty stong blender.

Thanks

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2014 at 07:26

David6

Nope, you’ll be good. Might be a bit high on the PS to start out with. You might want to go with 1 TBS at a time and keep upping if you tolerate.

14. LeonRover on April 6, 2014 at 06:55

It’s my fervent hope that Dr Grace can be an awesome “La DiVa” on Jimmy’s Lo Crab Show.