Love Making Right Out In the Open: Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris and Rickie Lee Jones

My wife unit arrived with the Nuke (dog) unit this afternoon, bringing April snow with them here in Arnold. CA, at 4K elev. They’re soundly crashed after the 8-hr drive. After three days of solitude up here I’m happy to have them, and I’ve been lost in music. You all know I’m a classic and prog rock guy, but tonight I wanted to hear love making.

The final selection is Rickie Lee Jones, Flying Cowboys, title track. Unfortunately, the wonderful YT I put up in a post years ago is gone. Owing, probably, to some micro-dick with “rights,” plus afraid.

Anyway, still viewable at the top of the right sidebar at Rickie’s own website. I love the track, and I’ve had it around since it came out.

But I titled this post about making love. Watch that one. Rickie is making love to herself, and I dare you not to watch and like it.

1. snakes on a plane on April 26, 2014 at 05:46

What a coincidence. I’m about to make love to myself right now. Should take three to four minutes and I’ll be done.

• LeonRover on April 26, 2014 at 07:09

Snake on Plane – eatin’ yr own tail?

You may also find one with a Twist – then it’s on HyperPlane –

This form of Cyclicality is much preferable over the simplicticism of mere Hegelian Antithetic Variables.

The worm Ouroboros – is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. It represents the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished, and symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist’s opus.

Carl Jung interpreted the Ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche of it as a representation of the pre-ego “dawn state”, depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.

I guess, snake you is in a pre-ego “dawn state” – or perhaps you had a Rosy Fingering Moment ? Mmmmm.

Sláinte

2. Bay Area Sparky on April 26, 2014 at 11:21

If I was as attractive as Rickie Lee I’d spend a lot of time admiring myself too.

3. Carl on April 26, 2014 at 16:03

“some micro-dick with ‘rights’ ”

You mean, like a songwriter?

4. snakes on a plane on April 26, 2014 at 16:11

Rich, when you’re finished doing the nasty, how about an update on the book’s progress?

5. Baby Girl on April 26, 2014 at 16:23

How ’bout some heartache on a plate? Throw in “Boulder to Birmingham” and it’s a date.

6. Todd on April 26, 2014 at 18:59

Emmylou Harris looks better now with her silver hair than she did in her 20s with cold black hair.

7. Gina on April 27, 2014 at 02:21

Lucinda Williams should be in the mix:

Thank doG for this kind of music. There’s no name for women like me: overtly sexual man-lovers who view the opposite sex as equal, but inherently (wonderfully, excitingly) different.

Forgive me, I’m very, very drunk.

8. Richard Nikoley on April 27, 2014 at 09:41

Gina

Yep, and I’ve included her a couple of times in the past. I have “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road” in my collection.

Perhaps you should have linked up “Drunken Angel.” 🙂

• Q on April 28, 2014 at 01:25

Richard, love songs cannot be spoken of without Swell Season’s cover of Tim Buckley’s “Buzzin’ Fly” –a love song sung by two people actually in love .. oh so good.

• Q on April 28, 2014 at 01:31

Fuck, wrong link, that link was after their relationship busted up. And you can totally tell. This is the link when they were still in love. Fascinating difference…

• Q on April 28, 2014 at 01:41

Ooop, sorry, same link, this is the intense LOVE version of the song….

• Richard Nikoley on April 29, 2014 at 08:28

Huh, yea, didn’t care for the 1st version and clicked out of it. The other one way better.

9. Marty on April 27, 2014 at 13:16

I’ve recently been on a Rickie Lee Jones kick. I saw her last week here in the Phoenix area and thoroughly enjoyed her quirky and amazing talent. The usher (who’s seen her about a half dozen times) said that she was in particularly rare form when I saw her. Anyway, she is a national treasure and brings a new meaning to expressive music. She’s an original – just like you, Richard.

10. KAWAM on April 27, 2014 at 17:30

Wrecking Ball got me through a very bad time. And in the years since, some very good ones. Thanks for the reminder, and for increasing the audience. Emmylou — you do me in.

11. Wilbur on April 27, 2014 at 18:48

I can’t say I follow this music too much, but listening to it I am reminded a bit of a Grace Potter, who IMHO does not get enough attention. This video with Joe Satriani is one of my favorites, although there are many close seconds.

• Richard Nikoley on April 29, 2014 at 08:20

Wilbur.

Seriously, man, that gets my vote as one of the top 10 music selections I’ve ever received from commenters in 10 years of blogging.

Looks like a threesome right up on stage.