Maya Angelou: Commie in Service of the Nomenclatura. Who Gives a Fuck She’s at Room Tempurature?

Thought some of my readers might get belly lafs.

Screen Shot 2014 05 28 at 4 12 32 PM

Screen Shot 2014 05 28 at 4 12 57 PM

Screen Shot 2014 05 28 at 4 19 32 PM

I was prompted to post three Facebook updates:

There is one single narrative throughout history more powerful than religion: war. I say do an n=1 experiment dumping both.

And…

The religion narrative is designed to separate you into flocks of those going to heaven vs those going to hell. The war narrative is designed to separate you by arbitrary borders. In both cases, there will be authorities present more than willing to instruct you on the proper way to think for them, and not for yourself.

And…

The commie narrative seeks to pit every individual against every other individual, not just groups in some fashion of solidarity as in religion and war narratives. As such, it’s the most destructive narrative of all. But it goes so far, so against selfish nature, it doesn’t work. We are social animals. Ironically, that’s why commieism never works.

People still make millions spouting it, though.

Feel free to take me on, commies. I’ll bury you as surely as Angelou soon will be. You are the dinosaurs, and like them, never saw the end coming.

Good riddance.

1. Beans Mcgrady on May 28, 2014 at 21:49
  2. rob on May 29, 2014 at 05:33

When I was majoring in English in college she was not yet required reading so I never did read any of her work, I always figured it would be the equivalent of watching an Oprah Winfrey movie.

Back then college courses weren’t yet required to factor diversity into reading lists.

3. rob on May 29, 2014 at 06:23

Jo is pretty impressed with herself because she teaches at a junior college, does she even have a doctorate?

• Dan on May 29, 2014 at 14:16

Aren’t you glad you don’t have the “appropriate credentials”….

• Richard Nikoley on May 29, 2014 at 14:55

• Bret on June 1, 2014 at 23:58

Jo’s comment is by far my favorite. I’d bet $100,000 she’s a college professor or a government bureaucrat (redundant). “My credentials prove I am right, so I never have to prove it with trivial nuisances like logic, wit, or debate. You don’t have my credentials, which means you’re inferior to me. So shut the fuck up.”

And, commie apologists make millions? I’ll have to get in on some of this sweet action!

• Travis McGee on June 7, 2014 at 11:11

Jo is a Professor of English at Davis Community College. A real powerhouse school. Also, she looks like a bloated, sexless liberal idiot. I always think of people like her as liberal fascists.

4. Jeff on May 30, 2014 at 12:20

I thought poetry was a type of art. Art is subjective. WTF credentials would one need to decide if they like something or not? Is having a pulse credentials enough? Goddammit .

• Richard Nikoley on May 30, 2014 at 13:01

Jeff:

The only credentials required in this game are that you submit to external authority. In this case, anointed by the left.

5. pzo on May 30, 2014 at 20:49

Every creative has better and worse items in their body of work. And, all qualitative decisions are subjective in the end.

Today I was sent “Phenomenal Woman.” I read it as a very self-confident, not physically media approved woman, explains her impact on others, men in particular. She is comfortable with who she is, and “gets” her true femininity.

“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
    I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size/
    …”

“I walk into a room
    Just as cool as you please,
    And to a man,
    The fellows stand or
    Fall down on their knees.
    Then they swarm around me,
    A hive of honey bees.”

Bragging? Not at all. Fact. The same way my (wonderful, not media perfect, definitely not PC feminist) gf is. Comfortable in her body, comfortable in her confidence. Loves the fact she’s a woman. Men are drawn to her without obvious explanation. When I read this poem, I knew it described Celeste.

So, perhaps Maya’s literary body may not meet with your approval, for what that’s worth, but don’t deny her great pieces.

• pzo on May 30, 2014 at 20:56

Addendum: Agreed that “credentials” are BS in the world of the arts. Go to any local poetry reading and you will hear both shit and salvation. No credentials required.

6. Elizabeth on April 12, 2015 at 21:29

“The stars, McGee, look down on a world where thousands of 4-H kids are raising prize cattle and sheep. The Green Bay packers, of their own volition, join in the Lord’s Prayer before a game. Many good and gentle people have fallen in love this night. At this moment, thousands of women are in labor from the fruit of good marriage.

7. Elizabeth on April 18, 2015 at 23:02

As we might expect, the Travis McGee novels indulge in a fair amount of superhero, bubblegum, cartoon or comic strip stuff, and that’s fine. Certainly one of their primary purposes is to entertain. But Macdonald also has other aspirations that go far beyond divertissement. McGee is a kind of philosopher of his time – that is, he makes philosophical statements about the society he finds himself in and, periodically, about the cosmos in general.