Don’t Tread On Me

Woke up to a funny comment this morning.

Your system of everybody being left alone is a utopia. It presupposes that all human beings are completely rational at all times and that no one ever imposes force on anyone else. Seeing that there are people that are irrational and would love to kill you and steal your stuff, there must exist an entity that would protect you from the threat of such people. Your stance is merely you blanking out to reality.

Well, there was just too much mishmash to deal with. For one, I presuppose that of all predators—certainly not the ones with guns, jails, execution chambers, badges, uniforms, robes, high benches in hardwood, marble columns, edifice of all sort…and elections from hundreds of millions of willing stooges who long for ‘please them, not me,’…along with monopoly adjudication over the use of preemptive force—the random ones can more often be dealt with by my .45, .38. .22, 380-tiny, a shotgun, and my Model 12 (that’s Winchester, lever action, 1912). I am more than happy to take my chances, rather than live under your voting (an euphemism for public masturbation) schemes of who’s the bigger mob.

The cannibal pot: who goes in, who gets to feast.

The point is, 99.999999% of AMERICANS are the most pathetically fearful people on the face of planet Earth.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. — H.L. Mencken

What’s most pathetic—and this goes to Europe as well—is that most people in the first world actually live in mortal fear that they will have to pay their own way in life if shit hits fan. It’s true. Watch the news. Virtually everything is about someone having the burden of  paying, when someone else could pay more easily. First worlders go to insane lengths to make sure someone will be there to change their diaper if they’ve run out of money.

Your could is a mortgage on your life. Do you understand? That you could is, at first, a suspicion. But if you can but won’t, it’s an indictment with faux-moral undertones. Jump in the cannibal pot. People are hungry. Lazy and feeling entitled, too, but hungry. And, you have to feed the masses. Otherwise, there will be unrest and unrest means lots of things. Shit, Kings’ heads can go up missing when there’s unrest.

So, here was my basic answer to my interlocutor.

I didn’t say that, Daniel, so you’ve torn down a nice strawman of your own making in your blanking out of my long held position.

Nowhere have I said “system,” nor “everybody.” That is not anarchism.

What I do say is leave me alone. And I am taking steps to leave to someplace where I can actually be very free by comparison. Previously this would have been impractical for a number of reasons but now, I can make the same money anywhere in the world with a laptop and WiFi.

I’m not trying to save the world, merely reach one mind at a time and all it requires is for any individual to simply not buy into one jot or tittle of the State fraud and scam. Ever.

Let the rest of the world go to hell and laf when it does. Like I always say, I hope to see Armani suits in soup lines in America in my lifetime. I’ll be on a quiet beach near the equator, with popcorn.

Life is not only about opportunities, but also limits; and I’ve found that while I loath all limits placed on me by any other entity—and would happily raise a black flag and slit throats—I’m rather fond of the ones I place on myself that emerge from 53 years of experience in living a human life for the very first, and the very last time.

1. Bret on August 4, 2014 at 00:28

An old leftist friend from college posted a similar strawman argument of capitalism to Facebook the other day, except longer, snootier, and more academic, as it was based off the work of some shitty early 20th century writer. I was so close to slinging some caustic invective his way, but then figured what’s the point? He’s just going to run back to his leftist heroes to reduce his dissonance, and keep posting the same crap again next week.

In my view, the hard-on for Diet Communism comes down to arrogance above all else. People can’t stomach the thought that we could get by just fine without centralized control (and lots of it, I might add) being imposed on our fellow citizens, who we are convinced are just so god damn stupid. It’s not like 99.9% of citizens would muster the brains to look out for their own interests (once their government mommy stopped wiping their anuses for them) by shopping the market, communicating with friends/acquaintances/social media on their experiences with businesses, going into business for themselves and inserting competition into a market where needed, and so on. Or protect themselves from violence with some of the very tools mentioned in the post. In fact, once the word got around that “OMG, people are armed!” then would-be thugs might just lose any incentive they had to harass people with violence.

Nope, people are too stupid for that. But not me and those limited few who think like me. We are smart. And we have the proper prescription for top-down enforceable policy. Never mind the paradox involving our assurances that the masses are stupid coupled simultaneously with our insistence that our ‘leaders’ be chosen by the votes of those very same masses we just called stupid. I’d rather neither ponder nor acknowledge the contradiction. Instead, I just tend to shriek in horror when a certain ‘party’ is in power, and dance spastically in the confetti of my own jism when the other is–constantly reassuring myself that there is any difference between them at all, let alone a large and significant one.

And on that note, people are so god damn stupid.

2. Dan on August 4, 2014 at 01:06

Im having discussions with a former lefty now lefty/centrist friend (who btw had a success story with RS, he has been incorporating it to his diet. His entire team came down with food poisoning at a work function, he was the only guy who was fine) who is asking for AnCap solutions to statist problems.

“What about a safety net for workers on minimum wage who cant afford health care?”

The guy is super smart and I hope to convince him in the problems with framing questions like that.

Anarchy doesnt solve statist problems.

Workers on minimum wage who cant afford health care is such a state caused problem.

Guys like the commentor that spawned this post need to get that first.

• Bret on August 4, 2014 at 01:54

I’m not sure how many of them we can convince. Lots of extremely smart people spend their entire lives embroiled in this bullshit statist mentality, notwithstanding their otherwise enviable intelligence.

I suppose the daunting nature of the problem is no reason not to try. But I am so cynical toward all these intellectual commie fucktards (wow, that really is fun to say) for their ironic stupidity that I often feel unmotivated to go to work on them. In my experience, most of them go down for the count, recharge with more statist propaganda, and come back with the same material soon after.

I guess one potential benefit of constantly engaging such people in dialogue, despite the unlikely prospect of convincing them, is that we positively influence sideline viewers/readers, some of whom are certainly intelligent enough to appreciate cogent and logical argumentation but are also politically curious/undecided.

• Dan on August 4, 2014 at 18:47

>>is that we positively influence sideline viewers/readers

This.

This blog is a good example, I think Richard does it just like that, treat the statists as sport exposing those watching to how ridiculous they/their positions are.

• Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2014 at 14:22

That’s a pretty good call, Dan.

I no longer have interest in changing the world idealistic like.

Rather, I have interest in lifeboats and I like cool company.

3. Heidi on August 4, 2014 at 03:25

no idea about any of this. some kind of revolution type of thing ?

interesting but i rely on that system to look after me and my poor rambling brain. not really sure what the other options are.

4. Logical on August 4, 2014 at 03:29

Richard, I can confirm that you’ve affected at least one mind: mine. I feel this is a good thing but I just can’t say for sure how.

5. EF on August 4, 2014 at 08:06

“I need someone to protect me from all the measures they take in order to protect me. ”
    ― Banksy

6. Martin on August 4, 2014 at 08:19

…where I can actually be very free by comparison….That’s a good one. I’ve been living on your tropical beach at 8N 98E for seven years and I have two masters (you never fully escape Uncle Sam no matter where you go) now. Just as you will if you move out. The first and enduring thing your new master will impose upon you is visa rules. They don’t just hand them out. First, you’ll have to jump through hoops at your destination country’s embassy in the US. Finances, health status, criminal background check from the US Feds. If you qualify they’ll give you a one year at their discretion. They don’t need a reason to turn you down either, and there is no ‘freedom’ to appeal. Then every year you’ll have to renew it. That means more financial disclosure, and generally, a trip to the in-country US embassy. Also, you’ll have to check in every ninety days in person at an immigration office to verify your address. Your landlord will also have to provide a copy of your passport and visa every year. There’s no blowing any of this stuff off either. If you do you’re looking at deportation. And that’s right away. It’s into detention and out to wherever without being able to tie up loose ends. I wouldn’t define any of it as freedom. On top of that employment is prohibited, and your beloved guns are strictly verboten and will get you time in the hole (and I do mean hole) and deportation. The locals around me are all armed with at minimum a shiv, but for a foreigner to own any weapon is a really bad idea. In any confrontation with a local (I’ve been threatened with death twice. Each time I forgot the number one rule when at the zoo…Don’t tease the animals) you’ll immediately be outnumbered say 10 to 1 anyway. You also cannot own property other than a condo. People try to stretch that through wives and other shenanigans, but all have high risks. In any non-first world country we’re less than second class citizens. In any beef, or, heaven forbid, a fatal accident on the road it’s the white guy’s fault. Even if his vehicle is stationary at the time. Speaking of which, the roads in this and most, uh, less developed countries are far more dangerous than the ones in the US. As in you’re three times more likely to die. No one is too clear behind the wheel or handlebars ’round here. And if you’re on the road after 23:00 you can figure at least half of the drivers around you are impaired somehow. Tourist or local. You will be free to drive drunk, but I doubt that’s the freedom you’re talking about. The US police might be a militarized joke to you, but police forces in the tropics are pretty much worthless in the opposite direction. They are highly unmotivated except when it comes to collecting cash, so again you’ll be on your own, but at a big disadvantage. Several times in the last ten years mobs have taken over key areas of the capital and even the international airport for weeks at a time, and the weak, unprofessional cops haven’t been able to budge them. They wouldn’t even try. Freedom? You make a big deal about the US prison population, but the only reason the US has that number is because of resources. In countries like this every prison is bursting at the seams (I’ve seen two of them up close) and if they could afford to build twenty or thirty more those would immediately be cheek to jowl, also. The court system? Ha ha. Everyone brought in is guilty except the members of the highest elite class who skate on everything. Plus, as a foreigner you will lose in civil court every single time if it’s you against a local. It’s not PC to say it, but in countries like this if you knock ten points off the IQ of most of the citizenry they’re a geranium, and they are very unclear on the concept. Any concept. Like freedom or democracy or any other abstraction. And believe me, they are all looking for a hand out just like too many in the States. I could go on and on, but I believe you get my point. If you do move to the tropics you will actually be less free and unarmed to boot. Not that a gun could ever be an advantage to you in a place like this. If the bandini ever hit the fan for real us farangs (basically the n-word) would assuredly be the first to go down. And your Armani suits in soup lines would be the harbinger of that bandini-in-the-fan scenario. I will say I love living here for a multitude of reasons and would never go back, but I certainly don’t feel more free. I’m keenly aware of where I rank on the totem pole and keep as low a profile as possible and follow the rules exactly. You might, but I have no problem with doing the ‘yes massa’ thing when necessary and it is definitely a more frequent necessity here than in the US. I don’t know for sure, but I would say that any country that you would consider livable (halfway usable internet connections [critical for me also], decent food and water with a good chance of continuous delivery, somewhat stable banks, no penchant by the locals for kidnap for ransom, etc.) in the tropics would have most of the characteristics I described.

• Heidi on August 4, 2014 at 08:30

wow. great post.

all the theories about this subject go right over my head but i was wondering about the practical applications.

im in the uk and its not like i could just tell my doctor to fuck off and go and live in the woods. for a start its someone else’s land.

• Richard Nikoley on August 4, 2014 at 11:47

Martin:

First, paragraphs. Look into it.

Thanks for the long message of gloom and doom, but I’ve already lived abroad for a total of 8 years in two countries and have traveled as a tourist in 30 others, including probably a total of 5-6 months in your Land of Smiles, there, primarily in Pattaya and ~8n, 98e (Phuket) over 6-8 trips there.

You’re not really grasping what I’m getting at. The whole point is to go someplace where there are NOT these arduous requirements and where they exist, remain in tourist status only. I’ve never had a problem getting a tourist visa for Thailand via the embassies in LA, Tokyo, or Singapore. And many places don’t have visa requirements for stays under a certain duration.

Perpetual tourist. That’s what I’m generally aiming for. Plus, I want to live in a variety of places.

• Martin on August 5, 2014 at 19:02

All the zoos are run on the same model. From your first paragraph… “certainly not the ones with guns, jails, execution chambers, badges, uniforms, robes, high benches in hardwood, marble columns, edifice of all sort…and elections from hundreds of millions of willing stooges who long for ‘please them, not me,’…along with monopoly adjudication over the use of preemptive force—Wherever you go those exact institutions and mindsets will exist. All the governments of the world imitate each other. And anywhere you go will have your reviled elections and it would be extremely naive of you to believe that the politicians anywhere win those elections in a way that’s different from how the American pols do it. They pander to whom they think they need to pander to, and take from the productive to give to the mewling, also. Mencken’s words cannot be limited to Americans and Euros. Any bastions of a Don’t Tread On Me populace who don’t cry out to be taken care of and protected are in your imagination.
      My point with the visas is that you needed permission to go live in or visit all the places you have been. That’s two permissions actually. One from your US master in the form of a passport and the other from your foreign zookeeper. You are not free to come and go as you please. I know people who have traveled as far as South America and Australia with valid passports who were refused an on demand visa, and had to turn around and go home because the passport control officer didn’t like how they looked or that they’d been to Israel. As a 53 year-old white American you are not likely to be turned down, for reasons which must be all too obvious, but things are still on someone else’s terms. They tell you how long you can stay and which activities you can take part in. Ah, limits. Any sense of freedom you get from a vagabond lifestyle will be an internal one and won’t reflect the external reality.
      I’m very curious about the gun issue. I would say that the only thing that many Americans would actually fight to the death over is the right to gun ownership. You included? For many it is the embodiment of freedom, and they would not give up their guns for even a single day. Yet, you said that there is a place where you will be freer, but in whatever locale that might be, you will be unarmed unless you are willing to take an extreme risk. There is not a single place that you can go that will say, “Sure, pack the Model 12 and any ammo you think you might need and come on.” And, any tropical destination will most likely have a higher homicide rate and higher crime rate overall than the States. Meaning you are more likely to have to ‘take your chances’ there than at home. Travelling necessarily means waiving your 2nd Amendment rights. It seems odd to me that you’re willing to do that and then think that you will be more free.

• Richard Nikoley on August 9, 2014 at 11:27

Martin:

I don’t know what to tell you, man. I know what I’m doing.

And no, I would not fight for guns. I avoid armed conflict.

• Martin on August 9, 2014 at 18:31

No doubt. Have fun.

7. Beans Mcgrady on August 4, 2014 at 09:02

I live in Mexico. While it is true that one has to deal with paperwork, it is no where near as onerous or constant as what is described above.
    I do not have to renew my visa for two more years. Showed financials once, will not have to do it again.
    When my current visa expires I am automatically eligible for permanent residence, which need never be renewed.
    I have a work permit.(40 yrs old, so retirement is out of the question) But I do have to let the government know where I live, and where I am working.
    Also, people don’t generally hate me for being a gringo. (I speak the language, which is a huge plus when living abroad.)
    That said, much of Mexico is a police state, just kind of an ineffective one. I do feel more free here, at least for the time being. (a huge part of that is cultural rather than institutional)
    I do agree that there is no real escape from tyranny, short of some seriously drastic changes, but the trade-offs could be worth it.
    Certainly has been for me.

8. Heidi on August 4, 2014 at 09:34

russell brand talks about revolution alot these days. he’s quite popular in the uk.

to be honest ive no idea how he proposes that we begin with this, so i put my email in the big spammy box that popped up on his website. unfortunately nothing happened after that and i never got the emails with instructions to buy a revolution t-shirt.

so i dont know really. if thats the only option avaliable to cretins like me i think we’re pretty much screwed.

• Contemplationist on August 5, 2014 at 19:08

Russell Brand’s ‘brand’ of revolution is the tired old one of Lenin, Mao and Pol Pot. He should be strung up on a lamppost if he ever actually got to trying it, which he obviously won’t as a capital-enjoying Western spoiled brat of a celebrity.
      He’s just cashing in on the aging Baby Boomer nostalgia for their good old Weathermen and Maoist days of 60s and 70s.

• Heidi on August 6, 2014 at 00:04

ah, right.

well, thats no bloody good then.

he’s been talking about revolution as part of his comedy act for years. i always thought it was because he’s such a rebel. after all there is that story in his book about stamping on some flowers as a kid, when he was clearly told not to stamp on them.

9. CharlesQ on August 5, 2014 at 15:58

Free Market: Nobody gets special treatment
    Capitalism: Cooperation among strangers

Everyone who blames capitalism is violating one of these definitions. Example: Crony Capitalism violate definition number one.

• Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2014 at 16:35

Charles:

Now integrate that what most of what people take for capitalism (merely ownership of productive means) is in fact, corporatism.

Business structures that shield upper management, officers, board members and stockholders from any liability over the doings of the entity.

Chew on that, and consider the “unintended consequences” that might rain down. ….A few might be convenient for existing power structures whereby, if you grok that, than you’ve come full circle.

• Jesrad on August 10, 2014 at 00:23

There’s the Administration Board, the Health and Safety Board, the Accountancy Board, the Executive Board, the Union Board, the Director Board…

Board’om settling in yet ? This orgy of Boards makes for a nice coffin for property rights. Fascism too was fond of Boards, it added Boards of its own at the heart of corporations to take control of them. Don’t change what keeps working everytime, I guess.

In french it’s even funnier, because they’re called Conseils… d’administration, de direction, de surveillance, des employés, syndical, d’hygiène et de sécurité… ‘Conseil’ translates directly to ‘soviet’ in russian, and it is no coincidence.