Learning More and More By Knowing Less and Less

Normally I might just share this on Facebook with a rude sentence or two, but I don’t, anymore.

Wolves can change riversI suppose, like butterflies can set off hurricanes? They—wolves—can change a lot of stuff once human fucktards begin to understand that they understand almost nothing, fundamentally. They are, however—humans—pretty expert at the “forensics”—imprecise and incomplete as it is. The two ought not be conflated and the ancient ought never dictate future policy or that which completely fucks up a: nature park.

Four minutes out of your precious life; roughly, what it takes to do two selfies and one checkin on some bullshit social site.

That’s not a dig on the attempt. And quite to the contrary. Knowing you’re fucking wrong—the only thing you can be truly certain about—is to me one of the greatest gifts. You are thus completely liberated to move on to the next wildass idea.

The moral of the story, though: ditch the hubris, and stop making public-fucking-policy over fucktarded ideas such that, decades later, you let nature run and marvel about it: in order to overshadow the fucktarded hubristic policy that fucked it up in the first place.

1. Angelo on September 27, 2014 at 18:27

Great video and insights — I featured it on the show and then later discovered it was a portion of a full TED Talk. Here’s a link to George Monbiot’s excellent talk for anyone whose interested.

For More Wonder, Rewild the World: http://www.ted.com/talks/george_monbiot_for_more_wonder_rewild_the_world

• Richard Nikoley on September 28, 2014 at 11:13

Great TED Angelo.

I’ve included it in a random link dump for today.

2. pzo on September 28, 2014 at 04:40

Richard, you probably know the name of the researcher(s), or the law that states it is the ignorant who are most sure of themselves and the most intelligent who doubt themselves.

I, indeed, learned of “trophic cascade” from George Monbiot’s columns. This is in exact parallel to Alan Savory’s de-desertification by rewilding cattle and their normal patterns of feeding and land use.

The biggest, bottom line problem is that there are too many of us. Sooner or later we will have to control our population and learn to live in a deflated and steady state economy.

There is an alternative, of course……….

3. Bret on September 28, 2014 at 07:51

This reminds me of a section of The Paleo Manifesto where the author wrote about exactly this kind of unintended consequence of efforts to ban hunting by feel-good animal activists like PETA. All they did was drastically increase the population of deer, which reduced the vegetation to deer ratio and resulted in widespread deer starving. More animal suffering resulted from an effort to effect the exact opposite.

Endless examples abound. We’ll never run out of hubris as a species. I suspect we will keep assuming we can outsmart mother nature all the way up to our own extinction.

4. Kathy on September 28, 2014 at 12:12

That video made my day! Thank you.

5. john on October 2, 2014 at 08:51

Richard, this is a fucking awesome video.
    Not to get your site blacklisted, but I’m wondering when you’re going do a post on the very real ebola threat that’s now in the US. The newest strains of ebola are airborne and have up to a 21 day incubation period.

Great video of doctor and microbiologist stating the current risk of it spreading in the US:

Finally, one of my all time favorite videos – an old University of Colorado math professor explaining the exponential function in relation to the population and energy. His thesis: “The greatest shortcoming of the human race is the inability to understand the exponential function”. Very entertaining as well as informative:

• Richard Nikoley on October 2, 2014 at 09:05

John:

I’m keeping somewhat of an eye on the Ebola deal. I want to be clear to everyone that I have zero hubris about this (that might be implicit in some of the stuff I write) and if the State nips it, I will acknowledge it.

Nigeria, by all accounts, has done a fucking fantastic, surprisingly effective job of control. Who would have guessed, from the Land of the Scammers and Thieves?

It’s very interesting on many levels but most of all, I hope for the best for everyone.