What In The Hell I’m Up To: I’m Telling Myself to Fuck Off Regularly

If it’s Monday evening and Thursday was the last time I put up a post, I get emails. I’m OK. Barely, but OK. Thanks for the concern. I’m in the midst of one of these deals, somewhat of a revisit of about a six-month period in 2010:

Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS): Can Your Mind Really Heal Your Back, Neck, Shoulder, Butt, and Leg Pain?

That was a post about 2/3 through the ordeal of getting over a cervical disc herniation that left me wanting to cut off my right arm and/or eat lead for lunch. Thankfully, Dr. kurt harris and Dr. Doug McGuff saw instantly from earlier mentions in posts and turned me onto John Sarno: Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection. It’s a long story. In short, I wanted neither a shot in the neck, nor someone cutting around my spinal cord—especially where it’s quadriplegia territory.

Call me chicken if you like. But, kurt harris said he wouldn’t do it either. I sent him my MRI (he’s a radiologist) and he confirmed the diagnosis. But here’s what’s important. He said that a majority of MRI images he looks at from those over 50 have various cervical and lumbar herniations and in the vast majority of cases, patients don’t even know it. They have no symptoms. Their MRIs were for other things and Kurt was just taking note. At the same time, he told me he’s had people with very minor herniations pacing his office talking suicide.

Ah, the dots connected.

I started looking at myself in the mirror and telling myself (verbally, audibly) to just go fuck myself. Literally (for me, strong medicine is required). And you might be amazed how well it can work. But it takes weeks to overcome your mind like that if you’re not practiced in meditation—in the art of getting personal insights into how fucking stupid you and I are, generally. It gives you insight also into how much might be automatic “thinking” where you think it’s ideas you’ve evaluated and held.

Or, you can drug up and get surgery. I’m not without some drug therapy myself. Primarily, that would be alcohol and herb. That’s because sometimes, either can give you relief, or added and multiplied torture and you can’t predict which. And that in itself is part of the larger picture to get your own mind around.

I tell people: the pain is there for a reason; It’s a raw material for thinking. You don’t need to know why; i.e., the ultimate source. In Sarno’s world, it suffices to understand that your own mind is capable of making any little part of your body hurt like hell (it restricts oxygen supply to blood vessels—hint: localized heat application fucks with this). Understanding leads to an onion of enlightenment.

…Anyway, a few months ago this began as a lower back issue that went away after a week or so. I was surprised when it came back so soon. Then came the telltale signs I was dealing with a disc herniation. Phantom chronic, serious injury-like pains in places that had no perceptible injury. For instance, my left calf aches like it just got chewed up in a wood chipper; right now, as I write this. My left buttocks feels like I need a whipping to get my mind off the deeper pain. And if I stand up, someone’s going to jab a knife into my left hip and twist it. This is my existential reality.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy, eh?

…Yesterday, all of a sudden, I have massive, tightening left-chest pain where every breath hurt. I began my thought process wondering how many people would jump up, end up in hospital with a suspected heart attack. But, I noted: my mind is perfectly clear. I’m not short of breath—though it hurts to inhale and expand my chest cavity. This is totally skeletal-muscular. I’m clearly not being deprived of oxygen to the brain and I’m seeing nothing that’s leading to that.

But it was great it happened, because I’d been taking it real easy for more than a week. Ha, you fucker! You just played your hand, “Richard,” and now I know for sure you’re fucking with me! This happened about noon and throughout the day, the pain moved from my left pectoral to whatever it is under my left shoulder blade. No possible injury, yet if I move just wrong, sneeze, or cough, it lets me “know” that I have a very serious injury that must require immediate medical attention.

This has to be a genetic shortcoming. My dad and two of my younger brothers have had lumbar surgery. Similar symptoms. They are all super fine, now. So, ultimately, I know a similar surgery is an option and I’m confident it would come out OK; and if it doesn’t, it’s only paraplegic territory.

For now, I’m coming up on a week in mostly solitude, taking it easy, but also doing lots of stuff gently, just enough to touch the pain and get what I want doing, done.

I’ll be in touch.

1. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on October 27, 2014 at 21:08

Richard,

sorry, i have a thing for pain, so here it is

have you read Todd Hargrove’s blog:

he has an interesting series on pain.

i just go his book (kindle)

i have a friend who went thru it THRICE & is still in pain a lot. so i’m not sure surgery really is all that helpful.

• Richard Nikoley on October 27, 2014 at 21:15

DrCG

How to explain?

Let me put like this. Bea read the post, asked if I was reading Sarno again. I said no.

I read it five times when I finally got the point.

Your brain can cause you pain where there is no injury. It does this.

This is the only thing you need to understand.

• Michael Allen Smith on October 28, 2014 at 05:56

Absolutely correct Richard!

I think we figured out the root causes of back pain around the same time (~2009). Earlier this month, I put together a quick guide on the topic.

2. Dr.+Curmudgeon+Gee on October 27, 2014 at 21:54

correct. but understanding where pain comes from helps one to reduce it.
    (at least it did for me)
    cause sometimes the pain signal misfires when there is no threat. seems our mind is more on the conservative side.

regards,

• Richard Nikoley on October 27, 2014 at 21:57

I don’t think that at all. It’s a spoiled child.

This is another layer of the onion. Understanding it’s in no particular way rational in the way it causes pain.

It’s a temper tantrum.

• gabkad on October 30, 2014 at 17:55

Okay Richard, I’m on this journey with you.

Back in maybe 2006/7 I herniated T11 by getting up from the toilet and stretching out…. BAM…. it was like being shot in the back. I could not prevent it because I was in the active stretch movement when the disc herniated. I didn’t have a chance to move forward to prevent damage. It was instant. I knew what happened (not which disc of course). I had a history of herniated discs: C4 and C5 which shut the fuck up from the plow position in yoga and using a mediflow pillow. Until then it made my life a crushing misery of pain…..fair enough. Fucking neck is brilliant these days. Sleeping in the Mayan hammock is totally neck friendly with no pillow or anything except string marks on my left cheek if I don’t keep the duvet under my mug during the night. Aside from that the L2, L3 herniations are totally behaving although after the fender bender from March 2014 created some serious freaking soft tissue pain in the sacroiliac area. I more or less ignored that bastards and they shut the fuck up. L2, L3 herniated in 1996 and bitched about their existence. Until I decided they needed isolation and permission to grow back some serious connective tissue attachment to stabilize the vertebrae. They are fine. The sciatica that came from there was a misery but it’s totally gone.

But this T11 evil devil has beset me with agony for many years. It’s difficult to not aggravate it with twisting movement because this is the part of the back we use to twist. Son of a gun!

Many years of horribleness have ensued.

BUT, even though I have not read Sarno’s book I totally have mental intake on tension mysotis syndrome. It just make sense. This fucker has been giving me degradation of quality of life for a long time. When it happened I did what any logical rational person would do: I continued daily yoga and pilates classes. 7 days per week. Initially the pain wasn’t bad but after a couple of years it go so crappy I went to a physiatrist. Ha. He told me something that only clicked a few months ago. “you are very flexible”…. um maybe being very flexible is actually not such a good thing. My daughters probably have varying degrees of Ehlers Danlos syndrome……… bugger children won’t follow through on diagnosis even though one of them has to shove her shoulders back in place every morning and all sorts of other joints that hyper-extended…. whatever. They are adults. They don’t listen to their mother until someone else tells them the same damn thing and then its valid…… being a parent can suck big time. At least they cope with it and they aren’t having chronic pain

Anyway I was reading your John Sarno stuff (I understand………I have it, this tension myositis crap. Because even though I did what I know was the right thing at the time of the herniation: carry on like nothing happened,,,,,,, the fucker was getting more and more painful. I’m not reading the book but totally understand given what you write.

Yesterday I decided to move like nothing hurts. Today I have moved like nothing hurts. So far so fucking good…..I gotta use these god damn spasmed by fear muscles. I’m going to be the boss of my muscles. They will move like perfect muscles.

So I’m on the journey.

• Richard Nikoley on October 30, 2014 at 19:46

Stand by for another post in a couple of days. I’m onto something and just got off the phone with a chiropractor who’s been a reader here for six years and confirmed what I was onto.

Gonna set you back about $30 though. 🙂

In the meantime, keep lafing at your own pathetic ass.

3. Gordon on October 27, 2014 at 23:02

My father read Dr. Sarno and it helped him out. I haven’t read him, but it seems like he is definitely onto something real. Nevertheless there may other possibilities. One angle you might consider is Katy Bowman’s (www.katysays.com) musculo-skeletal alignment stuff. Although I am not a big fan of her style, the ideas she promulgates are as novel (to me) and exciting as paleo was back in the day.

For example, she argues that muscle movement is a major factor in how the body pumps blood, and importantly also lymph. Obviously, general lack of movement leads to problems in part due to the lack of blood and lymph drainage. But the problems are not general problems, they vary muscle by muscle and part-of-muscle by part-of-muscle, depending on HOW you move. So the problem with being stiff in any given muscle or joint is that it limits your range-of-motion for that muscle, which means that part of that muscle never gets blood flow/lymph drainage, which leads to bad things, including increased susceptibility to actual, non-imaginary injury, but also perhaps pain signals from inflamed muscle/fascia/nervous tissue which have been deprived of blood, and therefore oxygen, and are bathing in cellular wastes that haven’t drained, and whatever else.

Not only that, your brain is deprived of the nervous system input it would get if you had a full range of motion of that joint. That can produce global effects when the joints/muscles involved feed into important systems. For example the neck muscles provide information critical to the vestibular system. If your neck is tight and lacking in range of motion it could result messed up or degraded inputs into vestibular processes therefore causing problems like vertigo, nausea, headaches (which is what I have going on right now and why I am commenting in the middle of the night, still not out of the woods yet).

Have spent a lot of time reading about paleo approaches to migraines, tried ketosis several times, avoiding nightshades, low fodmap diet, autoimmune diet,
    cold exposure, etc, and no effect. I think the fact is that if your neck and head musculature is all fucked up you’re not going to solve your migraines by optimizing your mitochondrial electron transport chain pathways or whatever. What is amazing is that your neck and head musculature can be so fucked up and you have no idea, and it’s not like people look at you and say “dude, your neck is all fucked up” because you look relatively normal, which is to say all fucked up musculoskeletally.

Of all the experiments I’ve done over the years, resistant starch and alignment have had the most noticeable positive effects, more so than paleo itself. At the moment I think the alignment stuff could be as or more important than diet. Ever wonder how Art Devany can maintain such robust health and energy on his goofy version of paleo (ignoring the mitochondrial supplements or whatever he thinks is the cause)? Maybe it’s because he has terrific alignment, he stands up straight, holds his head above his shoulders, and has been doing so since he was a competitive weightlifter in high school. And he varies his workouts, so he is always randomizing his movement patterns, probably maintaining the range of motion of all his joints.

Anyway, check it out. Her first book “Alignment Matters” is a collection of blog posts and contains a lot of information but is only loosely organized. I’m reading her new book “Move Your DNA” which is good, much more disciplined and methodical. Robb Wolf endorsed it, he had her on a podcast and you could hear the fascination in his voice. Mark Sisson is producing some kind of multimedia thing with her, so the big guns are already onto it.

• Wilbur on October 29, 2014 at 11:39

Richard –

I know your stance. It’s in your mind. But Gordon’s post is good. This RS stuff made me so strong and resilient that my poor weightlifting form caught up with me. My back, shoulder, and wrist hurt so bad I couldn’t walk my dogs. I had the pain for months.

I read about alignment issues Gordon talks about. I tried several methods, all worked to a degree. The magic bullet for me was Foundation Training. The writing is somewhat corny, but it worked immediately. It is so simple, takes a few minutes, and worked so well. I think a lot of these methods use the same principles, but go at it different ways.

An example: I drove my car on a 7 hour trip (one way). On the way there, my back was screaming at me. I had to stop. On the way back, I remembered what I had read and that often the muscles screaming are tired, sometimes from fighting their antagonistic partners. I discovered that I was using my abs to support myself. When I consciously relaxed my abs, I could feel my back muscles relax too, and the pain just disappeared. On the trip back, anytime I felt my back, I repeated this. I did not stop because of my back, and better, I felt as good on the last mile as the first. It really is amazing stuff.

• Richard Nikoley on October 29, 2014 at 17:19

Oh, I definitely know about the muscles fighting one another thing. Used to have stiff neck every now & then for years until I figured it out. It’s probably why NSAIDs work well for minor stuff.

• Wilbur on October 30, 2014 at 14:20

I did not pick the best example. I guess I’m still excited about being able to sit for 4+ hours without screaming.

In any case, what you are describing of yourself sounds similar to what I felt in my back, shoulder, and wrist. A chain of pain. (I just made that up!) If the body is out of alignment, one can have any number of compensations, a chain of them. Finally one muscle in the chain gets tired and gives up. To avoid the pain, one makes new compensations, and those muscles give up.

The muscles giving up might not have any relation to where the misalignment is happening, but many argue it starts in the hips. Look at how many people duck walk. Weak glutes, flat as a pancake. Often creates knee and foot pain.

I think a very valid purpose of the exercises is to force your brain to reconnect itself with muscles that have gone dormant. Awaken them, let them do their proper role so the other muscles can relax. The Foundation Training worked for me because it made it so I could feel my misalignment, and getting my hips square with my shoulders for even a few moments brought immediate relief. All three pains were connected somehow as they all disappeared together and came back together. I have been pain free now for several weeks.

Kelly Starrett is another good name in this area. I’ve learned lots about correct form from him, especially in working out. But he pushes proper alignment really hard too.

And if it is all in the mind, maybe this is just a placebo effect. But so what? It’s better than feeling like crap!

• Richard Nikoley on October 30, 2014 at 17:07

“If the body is out of alignment, one can have any number of compensations, a chain of them. Finally one muscle in the chain gets tired and gives up. To avoid the pain, one makes new compensations, and those muscles give up.”

Sorry, just don’t buy that, ultimately, every single nerve goes through a distribution center at the spine. So, if that center has shit oozing on it, there’s no telling what extremities you’ll experience pain in.

When I had a cervical herniation it was my right trap, with finger mumbness. Now, with the lumbar, it’s in my butt, hip joint and left side of my left calf.

Has nothing to do with “alignment.”

4. Pauline on October 28, 2014 at 01:46

I went through similar pain problems mid year, I have found a Bowen therapist who does magic with my body. Most of the therapy I think comes from the deep relaxation state her very light body treatments do in releasing tension around muscles and ligaments. I usually find after her treatment (I have seen her 3 times in the last 18 months), the pain tends to get slightly worse before it gets better. A lot of it starts when I am sitting at my computer for extended periods of times my neck shoulder back becomes stiff and I just forget to move about. After a Bowen session she encourages rest for that day. The following day I begin to move more despite the pain, actually moving more moves the mind too. My sympathies, pain like this impossible to communicate as you look ok on the outside. This often happens to me when I have experienced some kind of emotional setback in my life, the two seem to coincide with creating a physical block that travels down through body. But it can right itself with some alignment, moving and getting your mind in a better place.

5. Rudy on October 28, 2014 at 03:27

Dr Ron Seigel, psychologist, Harvard Medical School, has a book called ‘Back Sense’ which covers much of this same territory based on his personal experience. He is a well known meditation researcher and teacher with another book, ‘The Mindfulness Solution’. I attended a two day seminar of his last year and found his work very helpful. His website also offers free meditation downloads. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Hope you feel better soon.

6. Mike on October 28, 2014 at 05:59

I personally deal with pain by imaging it as a really big football, which then starts to deflate. Sound strange but it works for me as I never take pain killers.

7. rob on October 28, 2014 at 07:18

I friend of mine gave me a big stack of lidocaine patches when my back was hurting, those things kick ass.

8. Natasha on October 28, 2014 at 07:27

Dear Richard,

I was wondering what was wrong. Not the lack of posts, but the rather uselessness of them. No offense. Now, understand what was wrong.

My husband spent a full year down and waiting for surgery. “Minor” discectomy. Couldn’t do anything without being drugged senseless. And of course…..anytime he went to the doctor he wanted to go clean shaven, which meant I was shavin days of growth with him laying in bad. A whole year of our lives down the toilet.

Finally. Surgery day. Able to walk. No impediment. Minor? Laugh myself silly. Major. He walked out of the hospital. No more drugs.

Surgery is a good thing. Cavemen did it too.

• Richard Nikoley on October 28, 2014 at 10:13

Well, I have seen it work for my dad and 2 brothers, so it remains an option.

Feel really good today. Perhaps blogging about it was thereputic. I am simply viscously curious over how thoughts can diminish pain.

9. Karen on October 28, 2014 at 12:20

Right before Christmas, I had major saddle embolism and then surgery for a lung infection (8″ scar across my right back/side and 4 weeks in the hospital). I also had a clot filter inserted through a vein in the groin area. Moderate pain in my back as muscles reconnected but nothing too severe or unexpected. However, I started having major break-out-in-a-sweat and think-I’m-going-to-pass-out pain in my groin area. Docs found no obvious problem so went to a physical therapist who could feel the muscles spasming. One day while I was hobbling down the hall at work and moving aside so healthy, fit people could pass me, I got MAD. I mean really MAD. Told my body I was going to walk normal and I didn’t give a fuck how much it hurt. From that moment on, no more pain. Got the idea from your posts. It worked for me. Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on October 28, 2014 at 16:54

Crazy how that works, eh Karen?

10. John on October 28, 2014 at 13:07

Dr. John Sarno! I remember reading his book a long time ago. Howard Stern raved about him, about how he cured his back pain, and his OCD, if I remember correctly.

There is only one time in my life where I suffered from chronic back pain- my senior year of college, when I was also working as a teller in a bank. It was bad for a few weeks, I just remember laying in bed when I wasn’t working or in class. I brought some sort of foot insoles and thought to myself “These will work or I will quit.” The pain lifted magically within a few days, and never returned. I give a lot more credit to the thought than the insoles.

I’ve acutally been thinking about Sarno’s work a bit with another issue I’ve been dealing with. Back when I was 8, I had some ankle implants put in for some reason. I can’t remember why, since I could walk fine before, my mom couldn’t remember either, and the doctors I consulted told me they should probably never have been put in (a conclusion I came to myself before I had even sought a doctor’s opinion). Anyway, I decided to have the implants taken out this year, cause who knows how negatively those two peices of plastic have been affecting me, right? Well, I’m done with both surgeries (still got swelling from the most recent), but the interesting thing is, I noticed more pain and foot issues from the time I decided to have the things removed up until the surgeries than any of the 29 or so years before. I’m sure the implants weren’t good, but I wonder how much is the mind body connection?

11. Pauline on October 28, 2014 at 14:11

I got into a bad spiral with the pain. Not wanting to move, wanting to keep my body still. I forced myself to see the Bowen therapist, something twigged after that. I realised I had been inwardly cramping against life. The pain was just an expression of an inward condition. From then on I have made some big inward changes. Mostly from seeing how my mind, attitude was affecting my body. I decided I wasn’t having any more of it and started do whatever I could to improve my mind, in order to improve my body. And it worked. I used meditation as a way to find moments of peace and from there I found the inspiration to move more and feel more like I was moving in life too.

12. sdiguana on October 28, 2014 at 15:21

To throw my hat in the ring…

From reading a book called ‘monsters and magical sticks’ years ago, the thing that has always stuck with me was the story of Milton Erickson (the ‘father’ of hypnosis) who was diagnosed with polio, and nearly died of it. He in essence focused on experiencing the pain until it disappeared, survived, and could sort of walk when no one thought he ever would stand on his own feet again.

Similarly, when I was interested in reading peoples experiences on the 10 days vipassana meditation retreats, they often commented on focusing their attention on an itch, ache or pain, fully allowing the experience to come into them, and as they consciously acknowledged and accepted that pain; the body replies “Ok Great! Now I don’t have to keep telling you.”

I have done this personally with pain, its mentally difficult to focus on the pain, at times focusing on it makes it worse. But over time, sometimes even just 5 minutes (10-30 min is probably more average, performed more often this speeds up), it degrades into a dull din in the background, or even fades entirely.

Similar methods are successfully used in lieu of morphine by hypnotists for people with severe, often terminal illness and pain. I wish I could remember the name of the group who teaches it, but it escapes me.

• Dr.+Curmudgeon+Gee on October 28, 2014 at 22:02

i also find “talking” to an achy sore foot (or whatever parts that is in pain) helps.

13. Joe on October 28, 2014 at 18:10

I want to add my voice to those suggesting that there are mental ways to address things like pain and suffering.

The most profound and useful understanding I’ve gained in the last seven years of on-and-off misery that I’ve experienced is something I learned from Rupert Spira: suffering is resistance. All kinds of suffering. When you resist a thing, you strengthen it. When you stop resisting it, and just observe it, it weakens. All kinds of suffering – pain, fear, anger – they are all, at root, a resistance to some perception/stimulus/emotion/thought in your present situation. When the resistance ends, the suffering ends. The problem was never really the particular perception or emotion or thought; it was your reaction to it.

When you say “I don’t give a fuck anymore” to a kind of suffering, that is a way of ceasing to resist it. When you stop fearing or being angry at it, and get curious about it instead, and sit and quietly watch it, it eventually mysteriously vanishes. When you no longer care one way or another if it is there, it leaves. As long as you care if it is there, it remains. If you work yourself up into more and more intense caring about whether it is there – getting more and more resentful, or fearful – you magnify it somehow with your emotionally intense attention, and it becomes stronger.

One of the great analogies I read is that the mind is like an excitable monkey. When a monkey gets hyper and worked up, you don’t calm it by fighting with it, getting angry at it, or running in fear from it. But if you sit quietly and watch it with detachment, its energy runs down and it becomes calm.

Rupert Spira and Eckhart Tolle (‘The Power of Now’) have written books on these subjects that I’ve found very useful.

14. Mart on October 29, 2014 at 09:12

does Sarno’s technique work for carpal tunnel syndrome? I have that chronically, and nothing works to relieve it except not working on the computer. But my livelihood depends on working on the computer….

• Lucy on October 31, 2014 at 05:15

Yes, Mart. Read Sarno’s books.

15. tw on October 28, 2014 at 19:21

Richard,

I have had back issues my whole life so I can sort of relate. Only once have I had the kind of pain you mention, but I always have some numbness on my left shin that can become painful and move up and down the leg. This usually happens when the muscles tighten and torque the pelvis…..

The only thing that has worked effectively is active release therapy. I ski, mountain bike and train as a result of the freedom the treatment offers. I took a number of treatments at the beginning about 8-9 years ago and show up 2-3 times a year for maintenance.

This might be worth your time depending on the actual diagnosis.

As for surgery, a surgeon told me: keep going. The longer you stay of the table the better. You never know what that outcome may be. If you get a “cutter” he might say otherwise.

Whatever you choose, I wish you relief.

• Richard Nikoley on October 28, 2014 at 19:35

TW

I did ART back when I had the cervical herniation, when I thought it was a shoulder issue.

The only thing it did for me was help in diagnosis. One of the ART technicians applied pressure to my neck in just the right way and I literally jumped off the table, the pain was so intense.

That’s the point where manipulating the effect ceased. I can use a heating pad or ice for that.

16. Jim on October 29, 2014 at 00:30

Richard:

I had a slight herniation of a lumbar disk after some poorly done back squats.

A chiropractor who is trained in DNS (dynamic neuromuscular stabilization) got me back to better than new – retrained my movements, eliminated the pain, and I’m squatting and dead lifting heavier than ever.

If you’ve got anybody practicing DNS nearby check it out. No drugs. No surgery. Just relearning how to move.

Worth a try.

Take care. jim

17. Marc on October 29, 2014 at 09:10

Richard my heart goes out to you!

two things… fwiw.

1. As an herb lover for most of my life…I have finally reached maturity with it lol. It’s only medicine now when needed (naussea, digestive fix) or an every now and then thing for pleasure.
    Having spent much time exploring my inner mind and asking questions… I’m now convinced that herb puts you in a type of metaphysical “holding pattern” if you will. It helps, it gives insight, it relieves etc etc… but if you have to/want to BUST trough a “level”… it aint gonna work. I will send you email with some more thoughts.

2. Just listened to a personal interview done by Tim Ferris with Tony Robbins. In it he describes that one of his biggest frustrations in life was that he couldnt help his wife who suffers from extreme motion sickness. Vestibular capacity is fucked… somehow. With his coin he sought out the worlds experts around the globe… even went to NASA for help. NOTHING worked….
    It was finally some type of mediation that made life bare-able. Found this interesting.

Sending email now.
    Stay strong…. and soft

Marc

18. SusieCruising on October 29, 2014 at 17:15
  19. Pauline on November 1, 2014 at 12:03

I want to mention that what I did discover after this mid year pain cycle was that I needed more magnesium than I thought I did. I now use magnesium oil spray on my skin up to 12 sprays a day (every second day on average) sometimes more sometimes less. This knotting of muscles, tendons etc is definitely linked to lack of magnesium and thereby lack of oxygen. I also take oral magnesium citrate but regularly forget to take but the skin magnesium oil seems to be more potent and necessary than oral supplementing. The magnesium oil spray has changed things for my partner too, it is one of those rare discoveries that he says has changed his mental outlook and gives him more energy. Taking magnesium oil spray is for me like going to the ocean for a daily dip in the sea.

• Marc on November 1, 2014 at 20:12

My wifey and I swear by salt baths Pauline.

Ive read some studies how our water simply doesnt supply magnesium the way fresh water springs do. (Have to look through my files to find)
      Its a critical component.
      Have tried every oral supplement… Doesnt seem to agree. Perhaps like fish oil … More is not always better.

What spray do you use/like?

• Richard Nikoley on November 1, 2014 at 20:37

“My wifey and I swear by salt baths Pauline.”

Fuck.

That makes too much sense to ignore, given the planet is 2/3 salt water.

• Dr.+Curmudgeon+Gee on November 1, 2014 at 21:58

dead sea salt

20. Steve on November 1, 2014 at 15:55

Do these techniques work on tendonitis? If not, what do you recommend? I am considering PRP – platelet rich plasma injections

21. Pauline on November 2, 2014 at 03:11

We buy this brand of magnesium chloride flakes and mix with with pure water.

£10 for 1 kg packet, easy to mix and use. We mix it and store in our empty magnesium oil spray bottles which we used to buy. Much cheaper than buying in bottled form.

22. Adriana on November 4, 2014 at 17:35

How’s the back? If you want to throw in the towel and give conventional medicine. A try short of surgery, get a prescription for Neurontin (gabapentin) . The conservative neurosurgeon who prescribed it for me after 8 excruciating weeks of sciatica, said it could require up to 2+ weeks to build up a dose in my system to be effective. Not so for me. Took the first dose Friday night, woke up Saturday pain-free. Took it for a month at the lowest dose (1 300 mg per day vs the 3 x prescribed) then tapered off (important!). Occasionally when I feel a twinge I will take one and it goes away. Just beware in some people it can have major mental effects so have your SO on guard for this…also, migraines for a few days early on.

• Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2014 at 19:44

Slow but certain progress. I’ll be writing about it again soon.