What Darren Wilson and Bill Cosby Have in Common

Neither will face criminal prosecution.

The former, because a collection of people magically anointed as Grand, somehow, beyond all reason in my intellectual space, decided that it wasn’t even worth trying in a courtroom so all facts were public and challenged as a courtroom is designed to do.

The latter, because 35 years is simply too late. We’re humans, not Grand Juries.

1. Jogo Tyree on November 26, 2014 at 02:34

• Richard Nikoley on November 26, 2014 at 07:25

“But if the kid had killed the cop (pig) you’d have cheered without a care about the evidence, yes?”

Tell you what, Jogo. Let’s do a little imaginary scenario.

How about both guys are just guys on the street. No GI Joe fashions, badges, offices, official positions involved.

Now, ask the question under those terms.

See, I don’t really hate the guys in the uniform, sporting the badge, carrying a gun, touting an official title that people fantastically imagine gives his some doG given disposition.

It’s just two guys on the street.

• Jogo Tyree on November 26, 2014 at 19:29

Huh? Why a hypothetical situation? I asked the question based on the evidence, and according to the evidence one of the guys was a cop (pig) in uniform. It wasn’t just two guys in the street. Here, I’ll answer my original question with your own words: “That said, I’d have a hard time bemoaning dead soldiers (police) strewn about. I love every cop killing, no matter the circumstances, just like in any war”. It seems plain that you want the evidence in one direction, but not the other. Or, perhaps, I’m not clear on the meaning of ‘no matter the circumstances’.

• Richard Nikoley on November 26, 2014 at 20:53

In the capacity that they are “doing their jobs,” yes, every cop killing is cause for celebration, just as with any predator.

You seem fucktarded. You put stock in arbrittary authorities and titles, which is why you strive to make a distinction.

Fuck the police.

2. Doug on November 26, 2014 at 03:40

Hi Richard I hope your vacation is going well.

I am sorry if in an earlier blog post or comment you gave your opinion on what happened in Ferguson, but well?

• Richard Nikoley on November 26, 2014 at 07:29

Doug

Can’t recall, but see the comment above. Essentially, had this not been a “police officer,” this would not even be a discussion. The man would be awaiting trial right now.

The state protects its own. I don’t know whether the MAN is guilty of murder, the POLICE OFFICER isn’t though. That’s for a prudent investigation, prosecution and trial to decide. The state won’t even allow that. Sovereign immunity.

3. Chuck on November 26, 2014 at 11:54

Have you seen his interview yet?

So he has his gun aimed at Brown, Brown grabs the top of the gun with his hand and Wilson feels Brown trying to get to the trigger to shoot him with his own gun. Wouldn’t Brown try to aim it away from himself or try to take it away before going for the trigger? He also claims that Browns grip is so strong that he is jamming the gun and keeping it from working. If it is a semi-auto handgun ( I don’t think it was a revolver) and there is bullet in the chamber, how do you stop it from going off, unless it has an external hammer and his hand was blocking it from hitting the firing pin? Wilson says he heard two clicks though, so he couldn’t have blocking the hammer. If there was no bullet in the chamber, how did he pull the slide back with Brown holding onto the gun? For those that don’t know, when you put a full clip into a semi-auto handgun you have to pull back on the slide to load a bullet into the chamber and cock it. When the gun is fired the force of the explosion (recoil) drives the slide backward ejecting the spent cartridge and cocks it, on the forward motion it strips a new cartridge from the top of the clip and pushes it into the chamber ready to be fired again at the squeeze of a trigger. If you are strong enough to keep the slide from moving (I doubt it) then you only prevent it from ejecting, cocking and reloading for another shot. No one else seems to picking up on this.

4. Todd on November 27, 2014 at 07:52

Chuck,

Multiple firearms owner here and I didn’t pick up on that. Good catch.

The only thing I can think of is that if the slide isn’t all the way forward, it might not fire as that could mess with the chambered round. Brown would have had to of pushed the slide back a little while Wilson was pulling the trigger for that to happen though. I don’t know how likely that is.

Quick Google search of what you’re talking about yielded this:

And, then I found what I’m talking about here:

• Chuck on November 27, 2014 at 09:25

“Definitely possible to stop the pistol from firing if the slide is held back slightly, but like the guy says in the video, not very reliable.”

I did not know that. It looked like he was having trouble doing it though. I have a Ruger P345 and the spring in the slide is pretty strong. It takes a little effort to pull it back. Given the story Wilson told with both of them struggling with the gun, it sounds unlikely, but anything is possible I suppose.
      The other parts show what I am saying, the gun went off with the first trigger pull, but gripping the slide prevented it from cycling a second round.

If Brown was as big and strong as Wilson claims, I don’t think he would have ever even been able to draw his gun. He would have been knocked out from all the punches (that never happened). If he did get his gun out and Brown was as big and strong he claims (Hulk Hogan holding onto a 5 yr old), he should have been able to just take it from him.

One more thing that I just noticed when re-watching the video just now, it’s been edited since I posted it yesterday. When Wilson was describing how big Brown was, Stephanopoulos says “Your a pretty big guy.”, Wilson says “Yeah, I’m above average.”, then Stephanopoulos says that Wilson is 6’4″ 210 lbs. (might not be right weight). Well they edited out Wilsons height and weight. Now why would you do that? I’m guessing he’s bigger than Brown, and if your whole story is based on Brown being the Incredible Hulk with super human strength, well.

My guess is the part where Brown told him he was too much of a pussy to shoot him could be true and that pissed Wilson off even more, so he though oh yeah, I’ll show you. Just my theory.

5. pzo on November 27, 2014 at 09:43

What really killed Brown was terminal stupidity with arrogance thrown in. I made no effort to decide “who” was right or wrong on this until now. I’ve read a lot of comments on the online NYT and most of them are emotional and/or devoid of understanding how a grand jury works. For instance, no lawyers allowed, the jurors can ask questions, etc. Is it imperfect? Without a doubt, because it is a human institution.

If I had just committed a crime, I would not walk down the middle of the street, nor then attack the cop.

Stupid is as stupid does.

6. Kati on November 27, 2014 at 17:37

Thank you, pzo. I agree fully and would add that his temper also killed him, in addition to his stupidity. It sounded like from the encounter that he was extremely hot headed. Unchecked anger is a raging fire that consumes whomever gives themselves over to it.

• pzo on November 27, 2014 at 20:11

I’ll go a step further, Kati. I’ll make one of those “You can’t say that!” statements: It’s obvious that this young man was destined for a life of crime, probably violent. As a society, we are better off without him. Thank you Officer Wilson, even if you did make some poor decisions.

I lived for seven years in Denver’s “hood.” Not too many of us white guys there. I saw so much stupid, asking for the police to intervene behaviors I’m still amazed.

My best male friend over many years is black, we were housemates for a dozen years in LA. My last gf is black. So before someone’s racial knickers get knotted, don’t even bother. I just call the shots as should be obvious w/o political bent or agenda.

• Richard Nikoley on November 27, 2014 at 20:36

If Wilson was not in uniform, sporting a badge and asserting a title, we’d be looking at an indictment and a trial.

This is the entirety of my point.

7. pzo on November 27, 2014 at 20:55

I understand your point, I’m just not in agreement with it. We have always given the people we hire to enforce our laws more latitude than non-law enforcement.

I remember some years ago reading the CA motor vehicle laws as I tried to beat a ticket. It was interesting that, for instance, the code specifically states that speed limits do not apply to emergency vehicles. Seems right to me.

To conjure a scenario with Wilson not in uniform or with a badge and with what happened cannot be made. I very much get your concerns about the militarization of our community police departments. I feel similarly.

But this incident has nothing to do with militarization. Is the Ferguson PD “racist?” How the hell do I know? Is Wilson “racist,” ditto.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My sister is a retired sheriff’s officer. She spent a lot of her career battling the “good ole boys.” Fortunately, she was never put into the situation of Officer Wilson. But I have to say, I’d rather have this wonderful woman, mother and communally involved person alive today that the thug and criminal person Brown was.

Brown fits the criteria of “He needed killin’,” if anyone did.

• Richard Nikoley on November 27, 2014 at 21:36

“We have always given the people we hire to enforce our laws more latitude than non-law enforcement.”

Thanks for restating my position, and the essential problem.

“Latitude” in this case being that you don’t even have to stand trial.

Had this not been police, guy would be going to trial. You are advocating for a sovereign regime above reproach.

Don’t worry though, most of you subjects do, and can be counted on for it. That’s why the state always endeavors to “get out the ‘sanction.'”

8. Chuck on November 28, 2014 at 07:42

Apparently the grand jury was given a copy of a law from 1979 that was ruled unconstitutional in 1985 to help them make their decision.

9. Evan Eberhardt on December 4, 2014 at 19:56

Found this little gem last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlY9C6pzxKc

The police force is a 90% useless racket that eats up yet more resources to serve no public good. A well armed society could very easily ‘police’ itself just as well if not better. The only crimes should be those that violate another’s body and property. Speeding tickets and drug enforcement and tax evasion and all the other stupid bullshit laws to ‘control’ people is all nonsense that needs to be done away with.

• pzo on December 5, 2014 at 06:14

A well armed society is called war lords or feudalism.

In your Mossberg Masturbation wet dreams.

• Evan Eberhardt on December 5, 2014 at 16:45

And what well armed society was either war lord controlled or trapped under feudalism? I’d like to see an example.

10. pzo on December 6, 2014 at 08:12

Geez, Evan. What do you think happened in medieval Europe? In ancient China? In modern Somalia? In our own western frontier before “the law” would come in? Plenty of well armed people, plenty of violent crime.

I know that the comparisons aren’t exact overlays, there were no firearms in feudal Europe or China, but the historic principle remains the same: Those bent towards power and control will use violence, will take away power and control from everyone they possibly can.

• Richard Nikoley on December 6, 2014 at 12:34

“I will also offer up the recent spate of accidental discharges by approved and trained conceal carry idiots that there is at least one other, never discussed, downside to your desire.”

I’m sure it’s far more prevalent than the recent spate of accidental automobile crashes by approved (licensed) and trained driving idiots.

At any rate, this became a rather long and detailed exercise in ignorance debunking, so I copied it over to a post:

11. pzo on December 6, 2014 at 08:18

I see Cosby is now counter-suing at least one of the women. Apparently had tried to blackmail him some years ago. What a shock.

12. pzo on December 6, 2014 at 09:08

And that Rolling Stone is having second thoughts on the veracity of their fear mongering piece about an alleged gang rape at a frat house. They claim that they thought long and hard and had a lot of discussion whether they should run the story or not with the alleged victim getting them to agree to do no further investigation. What a colossal failure of responsible journalism. Which I guess happens when a bunch of pussy whipped manginas want to do the PC thing.

The fraternity has been suspended w/o evidence, only accusation. The frat claims that on the date of the rape, there were no social events. The alleged victim said one of the brothers worked as a lifeguard at the pool. None do.

Yet, of course, the woman (of course) who wrote the article claims that she remains convinced “It couldn’t have happened any other way.”

Cancel my subscription to the human race………