TED Finally: Free The Animal. Species Agnosticism in Veterinarians

I’m not interested in very most of TED talks.

There’s no point in explaining why. It’s far easier to explain why I look at each quotidian announcement carefully, pick and choose. Here’s one I watched just the other day and by coincidence, it came across right after I’d been on the road and heard the guy in an extensive NPR interview (way better than Faux News bites, about redundant political antagonism). To the South Pole and back — the hardest 105 days of my life. What I principally took away from that is that the traditional “expeditionary expedition”—with all it’s people, animals, and supplies—can get you dead easier, because of many variables you could not have possibly accounted for.

…Kinda like proto-civilized humanity, that migrated to all corners of earth on a shoestring budget.

These two guys hauled their own two, 400b (initial weight) sledges across 1,800 miles round trip, and did it all alone, except for a resupply in the very last 50 miles—a non-lethal 3% error. A reserve tank of pemmican would have done the trick—or a few pounds of potatoes.

But so ironically, I find that my forever favorite blogger, the UK veterinarian Petro “Peter” Dobromylskyj, finally gets his just due. See, in spite of the recent antagonisms, I’ve always found Peter honest. But more importantly: species agnostic. I used to tell people a lot: consult with a veterinarian. They know more. Aside: he helped me extend Rotor’s life.

What veterinarians know that doctors don’t

I kinda have an urge to go off on religious fucktardism, responsible for the cute view that homo sapiens are a special race. Like this comment that came in on another post, that just requires no comment.

My investigation into the question of African Negro origins has led me to the conclusion that through a series of deleterious genetic mutations (most are), Negroes are a degenerate subspecies of the original White Aryans created by God in His own image.

You’d think it’s a troll, but Earl has popped up in comments over the years and he doesn’t abuse his dispensation. So, I leave up his comments for an example of how widely divergent are people’s serious views. I take him seriously, but not so much to do anything but highlight. I don’t blog about neo-nazis, and I’m very glad they have websites up. Get it?

It’s a strange world out there. Recently, while driving through the Nevada high dessert from Vegas to Tonopah, my thoughts drifted to Art Bell’s late night radio talk that kept you alert and awake whilst driving between 1-3 am. Always good for entertainment value.

Please do watch that video, and understand why I named the blog as I did.

1. pzo on December 4, 2014 at 14:19

Not on this topic, but on fecal transplants. Seems like local boy done good. Opening first nonprofit fecal bank!

2. LeonRover on December 4, 2014 at 15:12

For much of his professional life my father used vets for his cattle, pigs & sheep. He could help the cowherd & shepherd do first aid before the vet could arrive, and on arrival would discuss the viability of various treatments.

However his attitude to his own physician was not that of discussing diagnosis & treatment. More that of the congregant listening to to priest in the pulpit.

The vet could be consulted as the greater expert; the physician kowtowed to.

I never had such a view: I attended many science courses with docs, vets, dentists, optometrists & pharmacists not to be familiar with how too many had no notion of much beyond rote learning & regurgitation.

By year 3 they doing some into hospital clinical work, wearing a white coat & practicing being authoritative.

3. gabkad on December 4, 2014 at 19:04

Excellent TED lecture. I just wish I could get more of the teasers she alluded to.

By and large though, my view is, animals make us money and humans cost us money. So of course animals are provided better with what they need. Just take a look at the mineral supps given to race horses. The ratios and proportions are exactly what humans need. Except you can’t buy them for people.

4. anarch on December 4, 2014 at 23:42

I thought you named this blog as it is because “feed” the animal was taken… Remember when you were obsessed with food?

5. Rrrracer on December 5, 2014 at 02:20

The old Coast to Coast AM was awesome; Bell was an intelligent, gracious and engaging host. The new host and owners… Not so much.

• Colleen on December 5, 2014 at 06:17

From the high desert . . . , Art had an excellent storytelling ability, to me he was the show. [Why the comment on Art Bell here? I am not sure but this talk did not grab me, I stopped and was curious about what commenters said, and happy to fondly recall listening to Art!]

6. Onlooker on December 5, 2014 at 06:31

Yes, but unfortunately much of the vet “profession” has sold their souls and turned their practices into sales operations, hawking the pet food companies grain-filled, ultra processed monstrosities, and the drug companies’ products (treatment with either antibiotics or corticosteroids being the go-to vs. treating the underlying cause; e.g. diet, etc.). And then there’s over-vaccination (yearly shot protocols).

Much as with the human “healthcare” industry.

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2014 at 07:19

Can’t argue, Onlooker and I’ve seen it first hand with our two.

I manage the food, but my wife the “healthcare,” and she’s a sucker for every silly thing vets want her to do.

7. Skyler+Tanner on December 5, 2014 at 07:33

We found an old country vet for our dogs after one of the vets in the city came under the influence of the people insistent on treating their animal like a human…and with a price to match.

Old country vet cares about fixing the animal with minimal pain and treatment, at a price to match. Get the dog (in my case) back on their feet, not to treat them like a fucking princess.

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2014 at 07:38

Bea now has pet healthcare insurance…

Sometimes you just have to look away. 😉

• Skyler+Tanner on December 5, 2014 at 11:06

Happy wife, happy life. 😉

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2014 at 11:55

TRADITONAL golf clap. 🙂

8. sdiguana on December 5, 2014 at 10:12

Often times the vets are meeting the demands of their clients. People want the ‘best’ for their family (pets), and being ignorant of animal medicine, they approach it much the same as human medicine. Free market at work, though perhaps showing one of the warts. I’d still take it over regulated human care any day.

That silliness is all dispensed in the country, where results are all that matter. (plus the locals tend not to have the cash to fork over 10k on life extension cancer treatments for fido)

• Rudy on December 5, 2014 at 18:49

Over the last two years, I have held in my arms and lap three beloved pets who took their last breath after my vet agreed it was the right thing to do. Cancer each time. A golden lab, a fiest, and a rat terrier.

Each were part of the family for more than ten years. She treated them with great skill and compassion while they were vibrant and alive and until the end.

They visit me now and then in my dreams.

9. kxmoore on December 5, 2014 at 20:53

to me the TED was a stinker. a feel good fluff piece about a doctor who realizes that vets may have value approaching that of docs. why so pompous in the first place? i thought the talk might be about how vets treatment methods might offer value in the human realm. a total waste of time.