I Got Big Farts Today From a 2 Million Year Old Paleo Staple

I’ve blogged previously about Tiger Nuts. I like to munch on them, soaked for a day or two. I’ve also done a couple of batches of horchata experimentally—you’re better off eating your food.

IMG 2819
Not Raw Potato Starch RS2, Raw Tiger Nut RS2

This morning, I had about 12oz of that left. So I agitated the hell out of it to dislodge the raw RS2 sediment, drank it to finish it off. 3-4 hours later and the fartage commences, reminiscent of the early potato starch experiments.

No, I didn’t get heartburn. I hear that you’re supposed to. I didn’t. Nor has potato starch ever given me heartburn. Scotch, yes. …Should I mix raw PS in scotch and see what happens?

In terms of the farts, I thought well, the starch is isolated and concentrated. On the other hand, this has been a staple going back over 2 million years for some primates and hominoids. Baboons still eat a lot of them, a fact that led to its discovery as an ancient raw RS2 rich staple food that rivals red meat and mother’s milk in terms of nutrition.

But I keep hearing that it’s very very very bad, and it’s going to ruin your potential hawtness; and nobody is going to sext you or email you nude pics anymore—if you use raw RS2. Even “doctor(s)” say so.

…Look, you’re welcome to be as dazzled by incomprehensible, often contradictory bullshit all you want; that seeks to craft a hawtness set of Clavin Hein gut bugs—all in a realm where the top researchers and clinicians are throwing in the towel and punting by means of a poop transplant—a therapy that will seem like bloodletting in 100 more years. But it works, so yea! No, they don’t just need more “AKKERMANSIA!!!!”

JFC.

Alright, a few papers.

So, you’re wondering: where is this all going? You are. I don’t mind disagreements at all and there is tons to debate and will be for years. I’m looking forward to it. But this is a different matter—a fucking far different matter—from veiled hell-hath-no-fury bad faith dealing that’s so fucking  psycho depraved that it will seek to scare people in the thousands who have actually benefitted greatly from the simple addition of RPS, as evidenced on this blog from personal anecdotes in over 10K comments over two years.

…And all under the name of a fraud: blithely accepting that people assume she’s a MD or equivalent. And she’s been doing so since 2008 or earlier. Well, I never saw the harm before, but now I see she’s willing to do harm.

So I have to bake. Tiger Nut flour cuntcakes.

cunt

1. gabkad on December 23, 2014 at 20:03

It’s not like anyone forced the ‘Dr. Hawtness Sex Goddess’ (self defined) to send nudie pictures. It was a voluntary act. Did you see a gun put to her any body part so she had no choice?

Didn’t think so.

A bra would have been a good idea for the AHS lecture… a bra and a hair brush. Or is going ‘paleo with resistant starch’ the new Woodstock? Maybe nipples at waist level is some new Hadza style. Hawt? Not.

• Richard Nikoley on December 23, 2014 at 20:15

Not totally following what you mean, but touche because anyone who doesn’t know details is going to be lost by this post.

I accept that I could do accidental harm by people listening to me and I end up being way wrong. But I could never tell someone: oh, that look both ways thing; before you cross the street? Total bullshit. Nor could I tell them that something that has self-reportedly helped thousands in various ways is absolutely bad for you—which is a clever veiled balderdash tantamount to harm so that people don’t pick up on it for what it is.

It’s very simple. Grace likes to shmooze up to married men, and tell them she’s looking to “outsource” (direct quote, over coffee one day).

Everything flows from that, because that’s mostly all I ever heard from her.

• gabkad on December 24, 2014 at 04:27

I guess you didn’t watch her lecture at this year’s AHS? Okay, I know, it can be painful. She needs to take public speaking lessons. Or at least critically watch videos of herself and learn through her mistakes. It would be good if she figured out that presenting herself in front of an audience dressed as if she were at home slouching around does not enhance the experience of watching her.

Then she used as an example of good gut bugs a population in Africa that are actually malnourished, truth be told. I did some checking up on that population because as far as my memory was concerned, these people are usually living on the edge. I thought, wow, isn’t it somewhat irrelevant to make a claim that these people are some great example of excellent microbiome? Certainly cannot be optimal if the people are suboptimal. Unless she is advocating that everyone be riddled with parasites because that’s what these people have. All sorts.

2. anarch on December 24, 2014 at 02:31

Rather than be nasty and call someone a cunt I’d rather be nice and have some cunt… you’re free to make your own choice as always though Richard…

3. anarch on December 24, 2014 at 02:33

Some extra cunt would be nice though, right?

4. A_dozen_screaming_harpies on December 24, 2014 at 08:03

Best to avoid women to whom you are not related.

5. LeonRover on December 24, 2014 at 09:34

Better to avoid women to whom you can’t relate.

6. crb on December 24, 2014 at 15:20

Fuck bitches get money

7. Brad on December 28, 2014 at 16:28

Did anyone ever come up with the qty of RS in chufas or horchata?

But yeah, I’m lost Rich. Are you talking about Woo?

8. Richard Nikoley on December 28, 2014 at 16:49

“Did anyone ever come up with the qty of RS in chufas or horchata?”

Here, lazy bastard. Link was in the post.

I really hate lazy ass, inch-mile commenters like you.

Now go fuck off.

• Brad on December 28, 2014 at 17:57

Not reading every link posted on page does not make one lazy. I’m supposed to magically know that my question is answered one click away, or 14 clicks away going back 2 years? But your whiney response is ironic and unsurprising.

But anyway inch-dick, I got off my inch-mile ass and went had a looksee and yet my answer was not there as you insinuated. Your “go-to source” says 37% starch of un-dried tubers by weight. How much of this starch is RS, all of it? no. How much in dried tubers? And in the horchata? Even harder to tell. If you didn’t know the answer you should have just said “I don’t know” instead of whining like a be-otch.

go fuck off – has no meaning over the web. It only has meaning face to face. Oh, but you know that don’t you? Now go take your meds.

• Richard Nikoley on December 28, 2014 at 18:52

It’s adressed. The point is, it was adressed 1 click away in the first link.

You know what else I hate? A pussy boy without the ability to say ‘oh, my bad,’ and move along.

• Brad on December 28, 2014 at 19:49

Thing is, it’s not my bad. It’s yours. It was not addressed on the first link, nor the second to the “go-to” study and remains so.
      Look I love tigernuts. They’re a tasty healthy snack. But lets cut through the murky marketing truth-stretching shall we? My feedback to OG would be if they are marketing tigernuts as high RS then they should give info on how much there really is. Also, another nitpick I have is them listing Vitamin-C on the nutrients list. I’m almost positive that any Vit-C applies only to the raw tubers. The dried tubers are air dried for like 3 months and Vit-C is destroyed by air, so…
      They have a good product – no need to BS the consumer.

just saying.

I fully expect more flames thrown my way. So go fer it big man. Donned my fuck-tard flame resistant suit. Had to, as I know you get depressed if you don’t use f-t on at least a bi-weekly basis.

9. Brad on December 28, 2014 at 19:55

Love the pussy boy stuff. I know 13 year old style humor and jabs are your attention getting shtick. That’s cool with me. Whatever gets you the clicks and eyeballs.

10. Michael44 on December 29, 2014 at 00:43

Brad.

The post linked to from the above post says:-

“Basically, an RS profile similar to maize, perhaps about half of raw potato by weight.”

I couldn’t go any further in the links offered on that post because I had to save an adobe acrobat document which i’m unable to do, and so I decided to google and I came up with this search after a few minutes of failed attempts –

“resistant starch content of foods” –

and ……… voilà –

I found this –

Yeah, it took a few minutes or so, but why do you think your time is more important than someone elses?

Why do you expect others to just drop whatever they are doing when you could have just googled
    “resistant starch content of foods”?

• Brad on December 29, 2014 at 02:31

@Michael44, that pdf does not have data on “maize” or “raw potato” listed so it still does not have the the question.

Google finds (dunno about accuracy)…
      “a potato is 20% starch by weight and the starch that’s in that potato is about 70 to 80% resistant starch”

Now that “go-to” study says that chufas are 37% starch by weight (un-dried). So does that mean …
      100 x 0.37 x 0.75 = 28% RS by weight raw tubers?
      Now some RS is lost during the drying/aging process. I’ll assume that is low. So does that mean the dried tigernuts are around 20-25% RS by weight? I have no way to know if the (non lazy ass) estimation is even in the ballpark of accuracy.

Someone needs to run some tests.

EXCUSE ME for asking a simple question and thinking that perhaps after all this time, that someone knew the answer and wasn’t too much of an ass to give a simple and polite response.

• Brad on December 29, 2014 at 02:48

Note the ambiguity in that quote you gave by Richard… “half of raw potato by weight”. This implies…

100 x 0.20 x 0.75 = 15% potato = 7.5% tigernut

or does it imply something else? There’s a big difference between 7.5% and 28% and so it’s still not clear to me what the answer is.

• Richard Nikoley on December 29, 2014 at 09:10

From the 1st linked post:

“In terms of RS content, here’s the go-to source for you geeks. Basically, an RS profile similar to maize, perhaps about half of raw potato by weight. However, this is a good thing because as a raw food, more readily digestible starch for energy is better. Or, to put it another way, you’ll get a lot more resistant starch from raw tigernuts than you will from anything else that’s cooked and cooled I’m aware of.”

Here’s the go-to source linked in that paragraph that I had to read to write the paragraph:

It’s a guess that TGs would have half the RS of potatoes but as Duck Dodgers put it in the previous post (or in comments) on TGs (also linked via the 1st link in this post), it’s better that the TGs have less RS because since they were a staple, you want some fast digesting starch for immediate fuel.

Also, in order to have a better approximation all one need do is soak their TGs to rehydrate them for a better weight comparison. I do this anyway because it improves their edibility. They take on a raw tuber/chestnut consistency.

At any rate, it’s significant. What you see in that bottle settled to the bottom is likely all RS2 (and it sure gave me some farts). That was made from a 12oz bag of dried, so probably about a pound rehydrated.

So, there’s more like the response you COULD have received initially. 🙂

• Brad on December 29, 2014 at 10:28

I admit the question is as much a curiosity and being arguably anal about nutrient qty. It’s obvious wherever exactly the dial lands on fiber/RS/starch there is lots of healthy prebiotic content there. I’m inclined to believe they are in the 20-25% RS area by weight rehydrated but that’s just a guess. Add the high fiber to that and it’s a wallop of prebio’s to be sure.

Btw, my preference is the whole ones, with skin, and soaked for about 1.5 days to rehydrate. 4-5 days soak (an forgetful accident) caused fermentation and slight souring but still mostly sweet and tasty save for two that were seriously gag inducing and instantly spit out. I had no stomach problems with eating the soured ones either. Opening the jar after such a long soak looked like opening a bottle of carbonated water. I makes me wonder if fermented horchata could be even healthier than fresh? Anyone want to test drinking it (unsweetened) well past it’s expiration date? I wonder what are the predominant bacteria that show up and if they are healthy or not?

• Brad on December 29, 2014 at 10:33

maybe use kefir grains to ferment it so it would be drinkable horchata-kefir. Damn that sounds good. I want some!

• Richard Nikoley on December 29, 2014 at 11:24

If you soak for two days and then make horchata with no sugar, you’ll get an initially sweet drink that gets sourer by the hour. I use those stopper bottles, as pictured and they pop every time I open. Last time, I used the soaking liquid as part of the whole liquid used.

11. Michael44 on December 29, 2014 at 18:10

Yes Brad, sorry – you are right.

The table mentions maize starch not maize.

My bad.