Have Yourself A Merry Little Mythmas

1. doGnuts on December 25, 2014 at 18:00

“I don’t think anyone came up with the reference for Santa as God Lite before I did, in around 1993.”

And what prize/accolade shall you be receiving for said original thought Richard?

2. MycroftJones on December 25, 2014 at 20:11

I read recently that Santa Claus was derived from Norse Odin back in the 1600’s or so. So the whole God Lite thing goes way back.

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2014 at 08:35

No dispute that Santa is a supernatural surrogate for the God myth in whatever form. All I did was create a neologism for it, God Lite, God Light, 1/3 less power than your regular God, whatever.

I suppose I ought to change it to doG Lite now.

3. Bret on December 26, 2014 at 05:45

Reminds me of a passage from PJ O’Rourke’s Parliament of Whores that you recommended, Richard: ‘Why God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat.’

I’m not far into it — have been derailed by other reading engagements but soon to return — but from what I have read, you were right, it is excellent. Anything that nails the Republicans over their brand of lies and hypocrisy is a winner in my book — just so long as it doesn’t try to suggest socialism as a preferable alternative, which clearly will not be a problem here.

• Chuck on December 27, 2014 at 11:05

Why does everybody get so hung up on the Democrat or Republican religious denominations? Religious denomination – a subgroup within a religion that operates under a common name, tradition, and identity (Government). It’s all the same crap, just a different name. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they have to vote between Kang and Kodos. If we stripped away the political parties and made people vote on the person and what they stand for, would anybody vote? Too many people vote for the party and not the person, not that it really matters with the current system.

• Bret on December 27, 2014 at 12:15

Everybody doesn’t. Those that do, however, I believe do so because it enables them to “pick a team” and thus relieves them of the pesky burden of thinking for themselves. Everything becomes a simple matter of good vs evil. Most people are too chickenshit to vote for anyone who doesn’t meet the prescriptions of the two-party state religion. Some nonsense about “wasting” their vote.

I pound on Republicans a lot because they claim to support things I believe in, like free markets and restraint of government power, but in practice they do the complete opposite. However, most of the general public fails to notice the hypocrisy. They just conclude, “Oh, all this runaway national debt and widespread unemployment is the result of “capitalism” and its “free markets.” For that reason I think they do infinitely more harm to the public dialogue on policy, economics, etc than their Democratic counterparts, who, as Richard has pointed out before, make little effort to hide their Marxism.

I love indies and libertarians by and large. When I do bother to vote, I vote for them. But in the meantime, I enjoy ranting and raving against Republican ignorance.

4. Martin on December 27, 2014 at 17:16

Richard
    I am a Catholic, and a Merry Christmas spirit to you too. All the best to you for 2015

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2014 at 20:57

I have lots of catholic friends and I just cooked a salmon and lentil dish for my lifelong catholic parents in law tonight. No poison. 🙂

5. EatLessMoveMoore on December 31, 2014 at 19:21

Playing Professional Curmudgeon must get tedious, Richard. I’m actually surprised your friend Jimmy Moore hasn’t led you to the Lord yet.

• Richard Nikoley on December 31, 2014 at 22:35

You’re lucky I approved that. But you made me Laf and it’s a new year.

You’re on a short leash.

6. TravellingBeard on January 2, 2015 at 06:56

A little late catching up (was in Thailand for Christmas, having lots of rice and other wonderful starches) but have a fantastic and stress free New Year. On a side note, Jaclyn rocks. (If I wasn’t gay, I’d totally go for her, so for now, I’ll mack on her accompanist).

• Bret on January 2, 2015 at 10:12

She’s hot as hell, but overacting like a fiend in that video. Very distracting. The former is worth tolerating the latter, though. 🙂