Chick-fil-A Is Definitely Discriminating

Beyond the sin of having a really head shaking, Dumb-ass-Name, I merely recall some time ago flocks having ruffled feathers, squawking on and on—like they’d had their heads chopped off—about how the chain was interfering with various pecking orders…or something.

There’s been one around here for some time and so I decided to check it out.

The food—as fast food goes—was excellent. Chicken nuggets of actual chucks of chicken dredged in flour? Green leaf lettuce on sandwiches? So discriminating…as fast food goes, anyway.

Worrisome though: all the employees were lean to normalish in body composition, conservatively groomed, sporting well fitting, relaxed fit uniforms in a conservative black & white fashion.

But worst of all: there were no tats, piercings, and one could easily tell males from females!

What in the fuck is this world coming to?

1. Dan on January 27, 2015 at 18:11

Bullseye

2. Jessica K on January 27, 2015 at 18:15

I love that I never know what I’m getting when I check in here.

3. SusieQ on January 27, 2015 at 18:55

the carrot and raisin salad is pretty good, lol

4. Tim maitski on January 27, 2015 at 19:56

Lemonade with real lemons got my attention. The salads are really good.

I like when you ask for something they always say “My pleasure”

5. Cassandra on January 27, 2015 at 22:46

It’s good to hear that there’s a decent fast food establishment in existence. Due to the owner’s homophobic comments, I would never give them any of my business (although, to be completely honest, it’s probably more out of orthorexia than my coincidental affinity for the same sex… I never eat fast food) but I fully support free speech and am grateful to live in a country where you can express yourself freely, no matter how ignorant or hateful the expressions may be. I have friends who eat at chick-fil-a and it doesn’t offend me in the least. I vote with my dollar. They can vote with theirs.
    But regarding the workforce: Nothing like robots to keep a well-oiled machine functioning without kinks. Keeps the novelty and creativity at bay. Even Stalin would be proud. Can’t wait to give ’em a chance as soon as I start eating fast food and stop being gay.

• SusieQ on January 28, 2015 at 04:33

Well put, thanks especially for the last paragraph, gave a giggle to start my day.

• Richard Nikoley on January 28, 2015 at 07:36

Cassandra:

Well, first of all, I think the “homophobe” label has become as meaningful as “racist,” “feminist,” “misogynist,” et al…where nothing contra the Official Agenda can be uttered or written without being tagged with it.

I didn’t look at any of the comments made by C-f-A, but I’m generally against using neologisms when words like “ignorant” will do just fine. In this case, it’s probably religulous-based ignorance.

Anyway, I hesitate to relate this—’cause it’s not at all that I have gay friends (like a token I wear around my neck or pet I walk on a leash). We have lots of true, longtime friends who happen to be gay and lesbian (we used to own an urban loft).

So, this runs the gamut of me being the handyman on call for two old dykes (one now past—we attended the Unitarian funeral) to house sitting, pet sitting, mutual dog walking with Mark almost every night…trading saltwater aquarium tips with Ale (and tending to each others tank’s while on trips), innumerable dinners at their places and mine, visits once they moved away, and even a couple of them flying up from Gay WeHo to surprise me for my 49th bday. And much more.

Here’s the thing though. Once you know them as friends the “gayness” or “lesbian” stuff is irrelevant and so, I’m sick to fucking death of hearing about it. Hell, in Mark’s case, in his bag of profound idiosyncrasies and eccentricities, being a single gay man is the least of his queerness. If he didn’t exist, you’d have to invent him.

And neither does “marriage equality” interest me. Sure, I suppose they have the right to be just as miserable as everyone else in that regard, but the state has no business in marriage contracts, and certainly not to change terms on you after you’ve signed up. Marriage should be strictly a social institution where traditions are determined by those sharing like values (religious or secular).

I’m tired of the requirement, now, that virtually every show on TEEVEE has to have a token homosexual and oh, even if it’s a cooking competition, it’s somehow relevant and has to be alluded to over and over.

Finally, not everything in the world has to be comprised of people “expressing themselves.” Sometimes, perhaps a business wants to express ITSELF to clientele in a way that jives with THEIR values, and they seek employees willing to jump on board with that.

• Cassandra on February 1, 2015 at 20:33

You’re right. Someone who hates gays simply because their imaginary friend in the sky told them to belongs solidly in the “pitifully ignorant” category rather than the “all-out homophobe” one, where people who hate just for hates’ sake reside. Now that I’m done pigeon-holing retards (how ignorant of me), let me take a minute and tease you for your “ but my best friend is gay” elaboration: I drunkenly tried that once at a party. My best friend is in fact, black, but I learned (painfully) that night that your apparent level of ignorance is directly related to the extent to which you attempt to demonstrate your lack of prejudice to people.

On to more serious matters, you might be surprised to find out that I don’t support gay marriage. Hell, I don’t even support straight marriage; Human monogamy is scientifically questionable, at best, and is definitely a matter in which the state has no business.

Furthermore, I don’t know too much about this “gay agenda” I’ve been hearing about lately because I haven’t watched TV in at least 5 years, since I sold most of my Things and bought a little cabin in the mountains. Can’t get cable up here but my doG the views are breathtaking. Besides, the internet is just so much more titilating. But I know what you mean: I hated those commercials that try to push Bud Light and Doritos down my throat. I guess that’s what you get when you choose to passively accept your entertainment rather than actively seek out what interests you.

As far as businesses go, I’ll concede. Sometimes people’s self-expressions are simply self-flaggelating cries for attention, anyway, that accomplish nothing more than give me the urge to punch them in the throat.

Wow, I really am painting myself to be that douchy, prius-driving, vegan holier-than-thou type. Promise I’m not. I’m about as open-minded as they come. Oh, and I’m a woman. A lipstick libertarian with a leaning towards the ladies. Longtime lover of this blog, as well. Happy belated birthday 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on February 1, 2015 at 21:10

“But my best friend is gay.”

Far as I read because you do t get to do that any more than Susie did, who I already told to fuck off.

My best friend isn’t gay. I have friends who I don’t give a shit are gay and I don’ t care hearing about it?

It kinda amazes me how you people seem to think your greatest distinction is that you like your own genitals, only on another person.

Who cares?

• Cassandra on February 1, 2015 at 21:23

My gayness is definitely not my greatest distinction. I don’t ever even bring it up, that is, unless of course I’m commenting on a blog post with a gay title. Then, I think its relevant.

• Eric on February 3, 2015 at 08:05

You really should revisit TV. It’s the complete opposite of passive these days.

6. Joe on January 28, 2015 at 03:13

This from the guy who’s growing his hair long 😉

7. Wenchypoo on January 28, 2015 at 08:34

I heard that belonging to a church was a prerequisite to getting hired–that’s probably why you don’t see obese, pierced/tattooed, or even minority people working there. “God” takes care of them (well, god and Uncle Sam).

• robm on January 28, 2015 at 13:12

Obese, pierced/tattooed and minorities don’t attend church? They do have a hard time finding jobs at American Apparel , Abercrombie & Fitch to name a few.
      Not sure about all about all Chick-fil-As my local one is staffed mostly by minorities and I do like those nuggets and waffle fries.
      And until Michael Bloomberg goes national and saves us from all the “bad” food, I will enjoy occasionally.

8. tom scott on January 28, 2015 at 09:09

Cassandra, you probably consider yourself a non-bigot. I don’t.
    I live in Washington state and voted for the gay marriage initiative. The town I live in is Richland. That is the town where 2 gays are suing a flower store for declining to service their nuptials with flowers. They first wrote letters to the editor. I applaud that. Then came the lawsuit – which has now expanded from the stores assets to the owners personal assets. To use the coercive power of the State Attorney General is a step I disagree with. Greatly. Guess I’m a little too libertarian (small l). I will think long and hard about the next gay initiative. I am not religious. Nor am I an atheist or agnostic. You have to care to be one of those.
    I spent 20 years in the military in a field that had many gay people. We had the highest rate of discharges in the Air Force. I know of only one (a good friend of mine that brought Anatole France and Penguin Island to my attention) that was forced out. Most claimed homosexuality because the wanted out of the military.

• Cassandra on February 1, 2015 at 20:17

I’ve never stopped to consider my exact level of bigotry, but since you brought it up…No, I don’t consider myself especially bigoted. I’m sorry to hear a couple of annoyingly self-righteous asshats who HAPPEN to be gay took advantage of our hopelessly flawed legal system. However, I think you may have fallen victim to stereotyping: I don’t believe in marriage, let alone gay marriage. Furthermore, I believe that flowers are a frivolous waste of money, and anyone spending money on plants that will never be eaten for an expensive ceremony is a silly person. But then again, they are entitled to their opinions, no matter how “over the line” I believe it to be. Aren’t easily offendable people what caused the whole mess in the first place?

• Richard Nikoley on February 1, 2015 at 21:04

“I don’t believe in marriage”

Why not? And please endeavor to make distinctions.

Think about soiled babies, they sometimes need washing, and bath water must be changed.

• Cassandra on February 1, 2015 at 21:44

The main reason I don’t believe in marriage: I can’t wrap my mind around why someone needs to get the government involved in personal matters. You love each other? Great. Want to declare your undying commitment? Cool. Wanna buy rings? Fine, whatever. But apply to the state for a license in order to get permission to be officially recognized as a couple? This seems as insane to me as the fact that we’re still cutting of the tips of baby penises on the unfounded premise that it reduces infections: Its something we’ve done since we can all remember and its so prevalent in our society that it seems like common sense. But its doesn’t make any sense if you really think about it.
      More and more evidence is suggesting that our ancestral humans were never monogamous animals at all, and probably not even serially monogamous. No, we’re instinctually sleazy whores and this is a large contributor in why more than half of us will experience the life-sucking Hell that is divorce. I’ve seen friends driven to the point of insanity, cursing with their dying breath the very one they were supposed to “have and to hold…in sickness and in health, as long as they live.” No thanks, I’ll just skip the piece of paper and if it doesn’t work out, we can just go our separate ways instead of devoting our lives to sucking each others’ souls.

9. SusieQ on January 28, 2015 at 10:00

Wow, I had a totally different take on Cassandra’s post…took it simply as a statement of fact that she/he votes with her/his wallet.

10. tom scott on January 28, 2015 at 13:40

Susie Q,
    I was referring primarily to Godwin’s Law in this:
    “But regarding the workforce: Nothing like robots to keep a well-oiled machine functioning without kinks. Keeps the novelty and creativity at bay. Even Stalin would be proud.”
    To compare a food service franchise to a government responsible for the deaths of millions is a little over the line. At least to me.

Godwin’s law: Godwin’s law (also known as Godwin’s Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin’s Law of Nazi Analogies)[ is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1989 which has become an Internet adage. It states: “As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”
    “Godwin’s law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form.”

• Cassandra on February 1, 2015 at 21:12

I don’t mean to offend. The comparison was a figure of speech… You know, using the old “creative license.” A wild exaggeration for the sake of literary multiplicity.

Would you say that Chick-Fil-A has “good American values?” Because by your own logic, that comparison would be “over the line.”

Godwin’s Law seems quite redundant to me, because as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving ANYTHING approaches 1.

People are entitled to opinions, no matter how “over the line” I believe it to be. Aren’t easily offend-able people what caused the whole mess in the first place?

11. gabkad on January 28, 2015 at 16:46

To heck with chick anything. I’ve got a craving for a really good hamburger. This will require some studying because most of them are blechh. No fast food please. A good Greek greasy spoon joint Homeburger would do just fine. In Toronto. No hipster burgers.