Hacking and Tweaking at Back Pain Day By Day

I’ve had a very multi-faceted epiphany this last weekish in terms of excruciating back, butt, hip, and leg pain that goes as far back as April last year (2014). It required confounding variables to be offered a clue, which I’m delighted to share and explain.

…A brief historical synopsis. In April last, I was up at our cabin to work on a book project, but suddenly could barley walk without some ghost stabbing a knife in my lower back with every step. I got over that using a silly heating pad with a vibrating function and Netflix (Parks and Recreation—the whole series to date). It soon returned though, and I did the same thing (The Wire, House of Cards, Game of Thrones). It returned again with added vengeance—then, with the sticks and needles in hips, butt, and going down my left leg; i.e., if I sneeze or cough, I feel sharp pain in my big toe…then my whole foot tingles, as though to mock me. I was overcome once more, but only long enough to watch all of The Walking Dead—bitterly analogous to how I myself was walking. Long story short, I have an L4-5 herniation that pinches the nerve root. Confirmed by MRI.

The saga continues…

So, I ‘m considering all options, including surgery…but also trying just about everything else that makes some sense to me. This post is about the everything else, because it’s interesting to me, and perhaps can be of value to others. Because, it’s particularly enlightening when you don’t just automatically yield to what you’re supposed to do: which is, of course, to do what everyone else does…and because everyone else does that, then that’s what you’re supposed to do—and if for nothing else, to give everyone else comfort in their own decision.

I’m weird. I feel like someone cutting into my spine is a BFD, and I really don’t care how many other spines he’s cut into with good results. I wish to avoid him cutting into mine. I have help, too. Rick Mehaffy, a nearby Chiro. He’s read my blog for a long time…so not sure how sane of a chiropractor he is. :) Seriously though, Rick has admonished me a number of times, and his admonishments include: you may actually have to get the surgery.

But to not make this too long, let me cut to the most recent developments by way of another semi-long story, short. I did a big session in Rick’s Chamber of Horrors right before the Holidays, intending to take it up again after the NY. First few days after that session, all was golden. He told me it wouldn’t hold, and it didn’t. To make matters worse, I got my first cold virus in 2-3 years on Xmas eve, where Xmas day was a snot-soaked, paper towel nightmare. In this condition, every sneeze and cough is a spasm of a knife in your butt, leg…even left big toe. Even worse: I got over all that virus stuff, but then right after the NY, came down with even more ‘flu-ish’ like symptoms: whole body ache, fatigue, wanting to be dead, etc. And snot. There’s always snot.

Oh, there’s another variable still. Both Beatrice (’cause she knew someone) and Rick (who has one in his practice) suggested I add a Teeter Hang Ups to all the other factors I’m dealing with. So I did. Got a brand new one from a guy who didn’t like it, for a hunerd bucks less on The Craigies’ List.

I’m utterly and miserably defeated this last Monday morning, a week ago, and Teeter hurts to much in my ankles (since resolved). I email Rick that it’s probably useless to continue; depression is setting in, I can hardly write a sentence, the pain is enduring and intense all all over the fucking place. I’m probably just going to knife-punt. He says to come in. ‘We’ll, I’m coughing up a storm, likely contagious,’ so I say wait.

Weird happens. First, my flu-ish symptoms subside soon that day. I realize I’ve conflated the general ache with the specific chronic pain. Check.

Even more weirdness. I wondered whether my initial exuberance in terms of auto-traction on the Teeter Hang Ups inversion table is tantamount to a workout where acute inflammation = pain. See, it’s pretty obvious when you get on one, that underutilized (in that context) muscles and tendons come into play. You may realize: they’re tense due to general unfamiliarity that you naturally fight against; and you gradually learn to relax them and just hang-ups out (in addition to relaxing the foot hold one notch). The process causes acute soreness, like a workout. So I was conflating that pain along with the flu symptoms and the root problem.

What a fucking mess of conflation and confusion, with little enlightenment or relief in sight.

More weirdness still (now I’m integrating and connecting dots fast). At about the same time I recognized all of the foregoing, I felt I had to get out a post on behalf of Kit for his launch of something that was conflating all my variables even more. And I did. And that was early last Wednesday. What I didn’t know at the time of the post in the early morning, was that my butt wouldn’t touch a chair for about another 12 hours. All told, I ended up getting out of bed at 6:30 AM in some pain, and being on my feet—most of it on Topo—until after 9pm, when I caved to my DVR until 2am the next morning.

But, that DVR came at a cost. I had just spent the first day since I could remember almost completely pain free…and with such range of reasonably comfortable pain-free motion that I could put a sock on my left foot without a pistol nearby—just in case it got too excruciating, and all needed an end. By the time I went to bed, I was in the pain again.

I slept a whopping 2 hours, 45. When I got up, I thought it was 5:45, but no. It was 4:45. Whatever! I ached again: all my exuberance from the day before, gone in a flash.

So I did something weird. I repeated. Stayed standing, did “laps” on Topo, then finally a short inversion session on Teeter’s teeter, and all pain melted away. Fast forwarding, here I stand many days later and scores of hours mostly standing and shifting, and I have my first clear sign that this is actual recovery and not just a good day waiting to be spoiled and mocked.

Basically, it seems as though I’ve completely nailed standing, and laying in bed. In the former case, after an hour or two standing, I’m completely normal and can walk normal. In the latter, just small jabs now & then when I toss & turn but otherwise, completely doable and restful sleep-worthy. The one catch still is being able to sit.

Want a weirdness? If I drive my wife’s FX-35, I’m pretty much fine. Drive my own X-5, and the pain in my left shin is nearly unbearable, no matter how I adjust the seating configs. Working on it. At any rate, that’s now the key to this: being able to sit for normal amounts of time without undue pain. Should I nail that—and it’s looking good because I feel a process in the works—then I’ll indefinitely postpone the knife and go neener neener.

To conclude, this has motivated me to think. Critical MAS worked on his chronic back pain by doing a written log, so as to correlate pain with activities. A bit too late in the game for me, since I have too many potential therapies in play. So I wondered: when, what, where did I have back pain in the past?

I recall distinctly. I was bending over the sink in my little beach house in Hayama, Japan, 1987, doing the dishes after having made chili in the crockpot. It plagued me off and on, but never got anything serious. Then, a couple of years later, over my 2 years living in France, it just stopped. A couple of years latter, in 1992, once I returned to the US, it started again and was an intermittent nag for 8 years. In 2001, it stopped again and stayed stopped until weirdness in 2010 and beyond, seriously confounded by heavy weight lifting.

Now, here’s the more dots. In 1987, I went from standing bridge and other watches on USS REEVES—from 1884, where I was on my feet and pacing 8 hours per day—to a staff, desk job on SEVENTHFLEET. In 1990, I went on exchange to the French Navy, and as navigator of both COLBERT and DUQUESNE over those two years, went once again to bridge watches and on my feet many hours per day. In 1992, I came back to the States and sat on my ass trying to be an entrepreneur and make money with my brain and fingers. in 2001, I took up walking, where every morning I did 3-4 miles for years.

Notice a pattern?

Sitting is the enemy and being on your feet is your friend—my working hypothesis. Of course, we kinda have to sit, and I did plenty of sitting all during that time. What I have seen though, is that doing it par the course, at the expense of almost all standing and walking, eventually comes home to roost.

1. Pauline on January 13, 2015 at 12:07

I have been doing a lot of research reading on my own on/off pain – is it fibromyalgia, is it inflammation of unknown cause…but one constant is when I am in pain the desire to move is dragged way down. I force myself to go to Bowen therapist on last friday, and low and behold by saturday and sunday the desire to move is back with new vigour. I am reading that for it to work not to sit longer than 30 minutes at a stretch. I have other stuff going on in my head about why Bowen works for me, its to do with fascial release, the fine lining/filament that surrounds muscles inside and out and connects the whole body together like a fine network from head to toe. One part gets constricted and the whole thing starts to get out of balance and pain flickers from one part to another. The Bowen therapy somehow releases this for me. Or the relief of knowing Bowen may release it enables or gives me the confidence to move more and things improve. Go figure. I also reckon for me its connected to not getting deep enough sleep at night, which makes the muscles ache more. Too much sitting doing computer work is my downfall. So many variables to work on but good to know there is hope out there. Its all trial and error but movement and hope are surely key in this drama. Good luck with working it all out and letting us know how you go.

2. Bill Strahan on January 13, 2015 at 12:09

Richard,

Glad to hear you’re seeing what may be a path to wellness. Chronic pain is pretty awful regardless, and your back is the worst place. Our back is the transmission that allows everything else to occur. It is literally the core that connects all the extremities, so anything that involves distribution of power for anything meaningful require it to work. You’re painfully aware of all this, so I’m preaching to the choir. Not a church choir mind you, I know you! 🙂

In any case, when I read this post thought of my own issues in this area. For me, deadlifting actually makes any back pain go away. Recently got my 8 year goal of 500 lbs. Yay!

But I did have pretty chronic pain since I was in my 20s. Biggest change I saw was ditching shoes with a heel and standing more. Once I wore Vibrams and regular shoes with a zero drop design, my back pain 95% resolved. Of course, I was also standing more and sitting during that time.

Saw a Kelly Starrett video once in which he said that in his house they only sat to do two things: eat together and use the bathroom. Anything else they squatted, lounged on the floor, or something besides sitting. I’ve been to one of his weekend mobility gigs, and he presented it this way: He had everyone feel their feet. Then he told them to do the same thing with their butts. He asked if we noticed how our feet were all gnarly and callused and our butts were nice and smooth. He laughed and said our feet are designed to support our weight when standing and squatting, but our butts aren’t. So lay down, roll on the floor, take any position that’s comfortable, but the less time you spend on your butt the better.

That was 4 or 5 years ago. I like Kelly and think he knows his stuff. I wouldn’t rule out a visit to him in San Francisco. I’ve seen him work some magic with my lovely wife’s problem shoulders.

If all else fails, go somewhere warm with a beach and some alcohol. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2015 at 13:13

Bill.

You wife has shoulder probs? Jesus, beatrice wore iced shoulder pads for about 2 years. She did ART at a local place and that seemed to help a lot.

Otherwise, for just the time being I think I’ve got enough variables. yet again today, it’s over 7 hours of stand time in 8 hours total since I got up. Now, I’ll allow myself a little comfy chair time, read email on the iPad, which I like.

But, it’s on my list. And thanks. Still hoping to see that Cirrus in my neck of the woods this spring.

• Jscott on January 14, 2015 at 00:26

Been a while. I comment less on the interwebz, though I still read. I have you to thank for guzzling The Wire from start to finish in a marathon session complete with a robe that needed to be tossed and hair that needed cut. Great reco, that one.

I left a comment about two years ago or so( https://freetheanimal.com/2012/11/the-hash-browns-potato-diet-for-rapid-weight-and-fat-loss.html#comment-273986 ) that echoes the above comment.

Maybe it is surgery for you. Might be the best thing. But hey, a one dollar Lacrosse ball with a 15 minute Youtube watch and 5 min of discomfort might be worth a shot?

I bothered to just do the search and leave it to you to refine or pick:

My lower back was fried when I started. I was terrified at the options. A few days of the Lacrosse ball eased off the pain enough for me to keep going. Within a week (I think?) pain was gone. I was then open to unlearn bad mobility. More good stuff followed and when sticky spots hit I could easily “roll” them out. Oh, and sitting was a 10 hour a day thing for me (still is when I wanna).

Might not work for you, but if you dive into some of Kelly’s stuff that Lacrosse ball is gonna do you a world of good for other issues down the road.

Either or, chronic pain blows and I hope you find a solution. People openly sharing their solution helps those that desperately look later, so, thanks for that. The best of us cut a path and leave a trail.

• Bill strahan on January 16, 2015 at 12:11

Yep, a good ART guy is a great resource. Sometimes our bodies need a little witch doctory to tune them up. 🙂

(The youngsters won’t get it but…ooh eeh ooh ah ah, ting tang walla walla bing bang!)

3. Pauline on January 13, 2015 at 12:12

That should read ‘myofascial release”.

4. Melanie on January 13, 2015 at 13:42

Just to add something else to your list (if you ever plan on adding more variables), is to check out Foundation Training by Eric Goodman. I’ve watched a few of his YouTube vids and it looks quite promising.

5. James on January 13, 2015 at 14:08

Richard, have you tried squatting instead of sitting? Just a thought. You could begin a new movement: squatting desks. Wishing you well.

• frogger on January 13, 2015 at 15:16

I was thinking the same thing.

Richard, did you ever give the whole ‘Asian squat’ thing a try? I’d imagine you could find a way to sneak an ipad in there or watch Netflix squatting in front of your couch.

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2015 at 16:49

I can easily do ass to grass air squats without pain, and can squat like Asians. Early on, I did them as exercise. It does offer some relief.

But still, my standard is to be able to sit in the custom my culture demands, so that’s the work.

6. michael goroncy on January 13, 2015 at 15:43

Hey! Richard
    A few suggestions..I will tell you something for nothing.

(a) Try ‘Chamomile tea’ for a few weeks and see what happens. I suggested this to one of my patients who grew a horn like a ‘Rhinoceros’ and strangely nothing happened.
    (b) Contact Jack Kruse and get your EMFs sorted.
    © Turn to the ‘Church’ and arrange for an exorcism to rid you of demons that have punished you for your ‘Wickedness’.

The method I have adopted for the last 2 years that works ‘Magic’ in my case (CHD – Panic/anxiety -Fractures in the thoracic spine- Emphafucknsema..did I mention chain smoking and alcoholism).

Grounding/Earthing….there is something about bare feet and seawater that refreshes my energies and eases pain (usually eliminates it for the rest of the day)
    Although its a 8 minute walk to the beach….I drive due to the tiny inclines that give me bone aches.

I get to the beach and walk (usually slowly, but on a good day pick up some pace to moderate. Speed is not important). For 15 minutes one way and return. Walking in the water at a depth between ankle and knee. Feeling the sand and shells (kinda reflexology). At the halfway mark..performed 10 gentle squats.

I initially started to ease my GAD and during this gentle walk, noticed 4 things happening all at once.
    (1) My feet were feeling cleansed and a decrease in joint pain.
    (2) Feeling energised.
    (3) Absorbing sulphated D3.
    (4) Falling into a meditative state, naturally without trying. Been trying for years to meditate and found it difficult to master.

7. gabkad on January 13, 2015 at 16:46

Supposedly, because in many parts of the world people squat and don’t sit is why they don’t have back problems. Chairs are the invention of the devil.

They squat to shit too and supposedly that’s why they don’t get haemorrhoids.

Or sit straight up on the ground with legs out front….and carry heavy stuff on top of the head instead of stupid bags that twist the back this way and that.

We think we are so much more civilized. Ha.

Way back in time, if I slept on the living room carpet I’d wake up feeling fantastic. If I tried that today, I’d wake up feeling like someone beat the crap out of me all night long. I’d need to be moving, moving all day long to sleep in a tent on a thin mat. That’s the secret to less or no pain: moving all day long. Only problem is it’s gotta be forever. As soon as I’d get home from a canoe/hiking trip, just the sitting in the car for a few hours to get back home turned me into a pretzel of pain. Sitting in an airplane is one of the most agonious experiences ever.

• rick on January 13, 2015 at 17:08

chairs are the invention of chiropractors, everyone needs job security 😉

• gabkad on January 13, 2015 at 17:32

And toilets? Proctologists?

• Tim Maitski on January 14, 2015 at 06:32

I saw this on Shark Tank

It’s a simple, cheap device that allows you to squat while pooping. Haven’t tried it since I really don’t have any problem in that area.

• gabkad on January 14, 2015 at 10:53

Most of the time, Richard can just go shit in the woods. 😉

8. millie on January 13, 2015 at 17:43

A week of doing the exercises in the book “Pain Free” by Pete Egoscue got rid of hellish neck pain that I suffered a few years ago (and by hellish I mean I was lying flat on my back afraid to move). Any time I feel the pain starting again I do the exercises and the pain goes away. The book has exercises for back pain too (and much else besides).

9. Michael44 on January 13, 2015 at 19:14

It’s very good to hear you may have found something that will really help you, Richard

I have had sciatica (from, you guessed it, deadlifts – done in a rushed manner and where I neglected my form) and I got scared. Scared that I may never get better. But, I did – not totally – I am still susceptible, but I haven’t had that terrible sciatic pain for a few years now.

Stretching my spine was what helped me and it only took a few ours to start helping (i.e after a few days of experiencing pain, fear, and depression, wondering if it will ever get better!!!….Well, Richard, it definitely CAN get better, alot better, and it seems you are hopefully well on your way to making yourself better.

10. MAS on January 13, 2015 at 21:53

I love to sit. I need to sit as well. It is not practical for most of us to stand/move all day. Starting from that premise, I figured we needed a time efficient “high intensity” like exercise that would undo the most sitting damage in the least amount of time.

I came up with an exercise called the Static Windmill that does the trick for me.

2 minutes done a few times a week and I can sit for hours with zero back pain.

Best of luck

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 07:37

Michael:

Yea, I generally like to sit too, and that’s really the name of the game here. Now that the lion’s share of the pain appears to be well handled when standing, walking, or laying down, it seems intuitive to me that doing more of that and less of sitting, for now, is a decent way to go, and if for nothing else, to manage that TMS aspect of this (because that’s there too).

One way to verify that TMS is part of the deal is a heating pad (the one I linked that vibrates is best) on the spot of pain. The pain will go away. Why? Because it increases blood flow to the region and that’s what TMS is—restricted blood flow to nerve, tendon and/or muscle tension. Then, like magic, the pain will often jump to a new place that’s not being heated.

Classic TMS.

11. Jed on January 13, 2015 at 22:09

Hi Richard. I had a herniated disc some thirty years ago. Luckily, I avoided surgery. It’s fine now and I’m a very fit 64 year old. But I have several weak links in my back and certain positions can move things out of whack. I am a musician and play an instrument that’s heavy to move, and on many occassions I’d pick it up and I would feel something twist in my back, and i knew I was through, at least for a few painful days of lying on a couch. I have learned that the inflamation in my back must go all the down for all the tendons and muscles to slip back into their proper grooves, so to speak. I would use heat and cold, for example.

I have since discovered interesting ways of putting my spine back into alignment that doesn’t involve a chiropractor, but the problem will always exist for me, if my spine is not perfectly aligned, things will be off, balance will be off, pain will occur, and the inflamation will fight nature from doing its job and healing us.

12. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on January 13, 2015 at 22:54

sounds like lifting heavy weight & sitting disagree with your back?

maybe squat toilet? gardening (good for practicing squatting)

dont’ know these exercises help pinched nerve but Angelo is a great guy

13. Doug on January 14, 2015 at 04:18

Unrelated:

I read that you had the crud…me too. 3 flipping weeks plus pink eye. WTF! Anyways have you ever wondered how much snot is produced by the human body? Seriously, I swear I blow out and swallow gallons of this crap. There has to be some usefulness to snot.

• gabkad on January 14, 2015 at 10:55

Venturi effect: it’s coming out of your sinuses.

14. Fit Journal on January 14, 2015 at 04:21

Walking is good. I have a rare form of arthritis and chronic back pain as a result. High doses of fish oil (high EPA not DHA) helps the most. Takes about two weeks to kick in and the benefits build over time.

15. Cory on January 14, 2015 at 05:06

Ive had the microdiscectomy you are talking about with short lived results (L-4-L-5, L-5 S-1). Whats worked for me:

1) absolutely no heavy deadlifts or Resverotrol. Clearly and repeatedly cause weeks of back pain after(for me).

2) when it flares up my protocol is less sitting, Teeter and Psoas Realse (with a lacrosse ball and kettle bell), in reverse order of importance for me.

Lastly, I have dealt with this issue my entire life and have been to everyone. My best asset has ben my quest for answers and trying new treatments.

Im a fan of the gut so I have been privately keeping a secret studies I’ve come across regarding low back disc degeneration being seemingly cured by massive whacks of long spouts of antibiotics. What is the link? Here is a little summary http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24155998

Ive questioned myself on many a sleepless night if I would be willing to essentially wipe my gut out to try and ease the pain. Would I be trading one disaster for another?

16. mrfreddy on January 14, 2015 at 05:53

I’ll tell you what fixed my horrible, debilitating, excruciatingly painful back pain: The MedX Lower Back machine at Fred Hahn’s studio in NYC.

17. eddie belschner on January 14, 2015 at 06:38

Richard,

my friend —-OAT test — the best 299.00 pee test you can spend , youll also learn some more on markers etc and be able to –add everything to your website here , bacteria or FUNGI make toxins and this test will show you,,,, your body doesnt make many of these markers —things do

send me a message if you have any questions, I point to this helping me alot. sample use great plans lab GDX is a joke in my eyes http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/full_oat.asp sample report —–http://www.healthlinkpartners.com/testkits/images/test-pdf/Organic%20Acid%20Test.pdf some of these markers UP can explain some pain, I had random back pain and side pain all my life ————————GONE like the wind now

18. sl on January 14, 2015 at 07:45

Has anyone ever tried deep water running or other water exercises for back/shoulder/elbow problems with any success?

19. TJ the Grouch on January 14, 2015 at 08:07

Sorry to hear that you are still having that much trouble with your back. For what it’s worth: you have fiddled with it long enough. Get it fixed, L4-5 takes a while for the nerve root to recover. Over age 50, your chances of a repeat decrease. I wish you the very best of lucks. Been there, done that, and had that. (Retired orthopedic surgeon).
    TJ

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 09:43

Hi TJ:

Well, I do have the anecdotes of my dad and 2 brothers who swear by their surgeries for the exact same thing (dad and 1 bro by the same surgeon). OTOH, I have my own experience in getting over a cervical herniation (also confirmed by MRI), with months of ache in my right arm. Years later, nothing at all, and no surgery. I lafed it away, literally.

I’m reading a new book I started last night:

The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse by Steven Ray Ozanich

Link:

He’s not a doc or professional practitioner, but a sufferer himself for 3 decades who’s helped a lot of others. And he seems to be on 1st name basis with Sarno and a lot of other TMS focussed docs and naturos.

Thing is, I find that when I laf at or apply heat to one pain area, it often goes away and comes back in another place. How does structural deficit medicine address that?

I understand fully the pain is real (oxygen depravation to an area), but I question whether it’s ALL and ONLY about some structural problem (like a herniation). If I break my femur in two, it’ll be pain free in a few weeks, healed in about six. How can a petty little disc herniation (which almost everyone over 50 has, and most with zero pain) CAUSE pain for decades? Pinched nerve? OK, then how come if I physically pinch a nerve, it goes numb, not cause excruciating, aching pain for hours upon hours?

This happened when I read Sarno and eventually got over my arm pain. I could feel the pain dancing from place to place as I read the book and simply realized there is nothing physically wrong with me, that for whatever reason, my brain is fiddling with the oxygen supply knobs to various places. Eventually, it all quieted down. Came back twice months later (did I “reinjure?” No). First time it came back I was able to mentally set it aside in 2 weeks and the 2nd time, in one week and have seen neither hide nor hair since.

In this case, I finally began to see this as exactly the same thing and not some structural problem, and I’m 70% better on average, almost perfect standing, walking, and laying. My working hypothesis is that all the standing is simply forcing increased blood flow, hence more oxygen, hence undercutting the oxygen knob futzing my brian is doing, and so I’m getting a ton of pain dancing, now, which is the sign it’s running to find new hosts.

But, interested in your take.

20. Henrique on January 14, 2015 at 11:15

Four ( or five?) years ago I had severe back pain even with a sciatica which made me inmmobile and useless during a couple of days.
    After not receiving any usefull medical advice and excluding surgery, I decided web searching. I did not find anything trustworthy.
    So I decided try my own way.
    This is the following:
    What are elements os my anatomy which are damaged?
    The intervertebral disks
    What are they made of?
    Collagen
    How can I improve my collagen metabolism to repair the disk?
    Eating collagen rich foods and Vitamin C

So that was my logic (I know, nothing proved, just my imagination)

Since 4-5 years I have no back pain.

21. Sharyn on January 14, 2015 at 12:12

My back is normally okay so long as I don’t overdo heavy, one-sided activities like splitting timber rounds. I’ve never been confident to try a left-handed swing to balance it out.

Maybe a more useful contribution – at first inkling of a cold coming on, make a warm drink of water with a freshly chopped garlic clove and a dollop of honey, and avoid all sugar. Repeat two or three times a day. This works for me every time.

Until about two weeks ago I couldn’t understand the seeming contradiction take honey / avoid sugar. So thanks for clearing that up for me.

22. Diane on January 14, 2015 at 15:31

Check out Egoscue also

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 16:25

I looked into that thoroughly last night, as well as Gohkle.

I concluded there’s nothing for me either place. I’ve been doing tons of movement stuff. That’s not it. Read my latest post. I have again made huge strides through this act of blogging about it and engaging in comments.

Up to you to figure out that part.

First thing you do is tell yourself there is absolutely nothing wrong physically or structurally with what’s causing you pain. It may do good with some exercise, but it’s otherwise just fine and your brain is causing you real pain. No, it’s not in your mind. Yes, the pain is real. Yes, your mind is causing real physical pain. No, there is zero wrong with you, except in not yet dealing with your believing mind.

• eddie belschner on January 15, 2015 at 08:50

Richard,

have you tried magnesium oil on your spot that hurts ??? Magnesium Chloride Brine from the Ancient Zechstein Sea

this may help , if you feel better may tell you some things

• Richard Nikoley on January 15, 2015 at 09:30

Eddie:

No, but I have done Epsom Salt baths. Those help, but so goes going in the hot tub.

One has to understand though. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with you. The pain is being cause by your own mind depriving parts of your body of oxygen and oxygen deprivation to muscle and nerve tissue causes extreme pain. This is why typically, a person with TMS will have far greater pain that someone with crushed vertebrae—a real injury that will heal in a short time, just like a broken leg.

That said, there is value to a lot of these therapies that ease pain by increasing blood flow. I think that hands down, heat application is one of the best, because it really forces blood vessel dilation, more blood equals more oxygen, undercutting the pain. Often, the pain will then move to another place temporarily—your brain causing oxygen deprivation elsewhere. You can chase it.

But, it’s important to understand what’s going on, why it’s diminishing the pain, and that there’s nothing wrong with you. Once you have the big breakthrough, it’s all downhill from there.

• eddie belschner on January 16, 2015 at 07:19

the magnesium oil is 10x better then the epsom salt bath.. the oil will soak straight into the skin..

Some get a burning or bad itching when they start– which cant be explained . When this happens if simply wash it away . This happen to me as time goes you can directly apply with no burning or itch.. I have to say its odd

now I have no effects…Im full of freckles as well Ive been putting on my shoulders as well
      they are fading away. As well Im loaded with gray hair…Im rubbing it in the sides near my ears…been 1.5 months and several dark hairs are coming in.

For migraines they say you can rub on you temples..
      For me the real F*CKing odd thing , is when I took antifungals I got pain in the center of my back your talking about, my left hip and left neck. I did a bone density scan and I have osteoporosis in the center of my back , osteopania left neck and hip.

Ive added magnesium oil to these locations and all is well…I use to get a slight pain in hip. Also this is close to where my abscess was when my gut failed. I plain to do another bone density scan late 2015

you might want to get a cheap bone density scan as well…… the OAT test is a great test , you could write alot about it , if you used your self as an example — fine tune your self even more. Like turning the old knob dual on the cable box to get the perfect picture

23. Todd on January 14, 2015 at 17:04

Erwan Le Corre is a hero of mine. A champion of free thinking as you well know, among other things.

He put together a pretty good list of various ground sitting positions. Even though you’re wanting to be able to sit pain-free (or minimally so) in a chair, his wisdom in this arena could be helpful to that end.

All the best Richard.

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 17:18

Todd,

Have you personally heard Erwan say ‘Putaine de Merde’?

I have.

One reason I love him a lot.

• Todd on January 14, 2015 at 18:39

Richard,

I don’t speak a word of French, nor have I had the pleasure of his physical presence, but a quick google search gives me the gist of the phrase.

You’re both genuine dudes.

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 18:54

Well he lafed when I emailed the link to him.

Yea, I’m privileged to have a kinda deal with him b/c I was one of the first he reached out to, I speak the langue, and we’ve been in the car together when he almost got seriously nailed by another car, once. It was close. Putain de merde. Literally, it means “shit whore,” but it’s Euro. American equivalent is ‘holy fucking shit.’