What Happens When Fake Doktors With Authority Complex Get Hold Of You

It is very important to understand that since the beginning of this resistant starch revolution, two people have been pretty humble (Richard and Tim Steele) and one has ceaselessly tried to mount the pedestal of all knowing authority on all things gut (Grace Liu—and even though when you read gut studies, they are often shrouded in more mystery than certitude).

The only thing Tim and I have been really adamant about is that feeding the gut is critical (and RS has a big role to play), and that feeding is probably more important than “weeding.” Those trillions of bugs have well evolved ways of managing an ecosystem we’re only scratching the surface of. We both come down on the side that says: you can’t really figure it out precisely, so feed it, let nature take root and work magic over time. In other words, it’s better to just throw lots of darts than engage in the futility of hitting bullseyes. Grace wants you to believe you can throw lots of Bullseyes; and oh, she’s the single “Goddess” to direct your hand.

Bullsshits.

I quote from Lisa in comments to my Animal Farts 1.0 Supplement Powder With 13 Gut Foods.

…I don’t think I’ve ever posted but wanted to tell you thank you and Tim for your great blogs and how they have benefited me. Resistant starch has made my life so much better. It cured insomnia probably caused by very low carb diet. It also improved my metabolism via better thyroid and adrenal function. I am warmer and have to take less thyroid and have more energy and feel happier. Who wouldn’t feel happier when they increase their sleep from 4-5 hours sleep a night to 7 or 8? I just reread your refining the resistant starch story [Part 2]. I was looking for help because for the last several months I had been reading grace Lius blog regularly. I got sucked into her opinion that raw potato starch is bad and dropped taking it. She seemed like a smart lady and I trusted her. I also didn’t know for some time that you and Tim disagree with her. The first time I caught wind of that was several weeks ago. It was the last time Tim posted over there. Grace was saying he’s messed up because he has bifidus animalis rather than bifidus longum and that it is obvious rps did him bad because he has Nash and gout. Tim seemed pretty peeved and disagreed, don’t remember exactly what he said but seemed to go off in a huff and never posted again. I wasn’t totally sure what to think. I was disappointed cause I love Tims posts but Ive reall liked Graces blog and it has helped me. Some of her recommended probiotics have been really helpful. I told Grace I was really disappointed about dropping rps because it had helped me so much and that I was trying just doing rs3 from food and it wasn’t getting as good results. I told her I thought maybe it was because it was hard for me to get enough rs just from foods to get results for my particular body. I asked her if there were any convenient rs3 powders like rps that someone can quickly easily boost their rs with no matter what is going on how busy they are traveling etc and she said no she doesn’t recommend processed items like that just whole food. I told her but I sleep with rps and I don’t as much without it. She said that she just doesn’t recommend rps because in the long run it cuts off at the knees our ancestral core, was I think the way she put it. You know akkermansia, b longum etc.

[Don’t listen to how you feel in your core. Listen to a Fake Doktor instead. -Ed]

So I’ve believed her and tried it. But gosh darn it I just don’t feel as well. Last week I was traveling and couldn’t eat as well as normal and my sleep had gotten pretty bad by the end of a week and night before last I had a hard time going to sleep and then woke up after 4 hours and couldn’t go back to sleep. Yesterday I was tired and grumpy. So I had had it. I thought I don’t know whether rps will cut my ancestral core off at the knees or not but I know if I take it I’ll sleep! So I took a tbsp with each meal yesterday along with my rs3 whole food and other fibers and last night I went to sleep easily. My head hit pillow and I was out. I slept six hours straight, woke up needing to go to the bathroom and then fell back asleep as soon as head hit pillow again and slept for another 2-3 hours. I woke up feeling rested and great. Yesterday I was thinking that I didn’t know how something could help me so much and be so bad. I Decided to go to his blog and yours to explore rs2 and whether it really does hurt people. I found your post about that and it was very helpful. Now I’ve been reading the refining resistant starch story. I had read it before but I didn’t remember what it said about rs2 being in the traditional foods of numerous people groups. I hope you do go ahead and analyse more of the claims she is making. The info you are providing is helping me get to the truth so I can benefit from rps and not get ripped off from that because of a false idea that the benefits I’m seeing are some kind of short term trick that rps is playing on me only so it can stealthily destroy my most important gut microbes and take me down.

I like grace and I don’t think she is being intentionally malicious [I do. You have no idea how she hates me and will chew up anyone to get to me. -Ed]. What is going on is that she had some problems after starting rps like gerd and weight gain. Somebody convinced her it was the rps causing it. I think it was some guy a lot of people would listen to like some microbiota researcher, maybe the one that she follows saying that the microbes she calls the ancestral core are the holy grail. I don’t remember his name.

It wouldn’t be the first time that someone has gotten convinced of an idea backed by a lot of emotion and then interpreted studies to support their view even when they don’t. I think a lot of times people actually believe they are seeing and interpreting correctly because their filter prevents them from seeing the evidence that contradicts their view.

It really helped me to see that all these people have been eating rs2 for millennia. How could rps be so bad then? And maybe it did cause problems for grace but for me it has seemed to do nothing but good. Or maybe it was just coincidence and rps had nothing to do with problems grace was encountering.

It would be interesting to tackle graces claims that rps is responsible for Tims Nash and gout. I saw in some post where you or Tim clarify that gout was caused by cocoa nibs or some such. I have had gout like symptoms before from having too much Oxalate containing food.

In closing, I appreciate your work.

Don’t expect Tim or I to attempt to prove the negative that RPS didn’t do something bad, any time soon. It’s too ridiculous. Grace doesn’t even have the ethics necessary to actually only reference studies that actually support her statements—rather relying that people won’t actually read them.

To make the motivation of this post explicit: this went up because, and only because, this good person went to “Dr.” Grace sincerely, telling her explicitly that potato starch helped her hugely (sleep, body temp, less thyroid meds), then she stopped taking it it per Grace’s “Goddessness” (typical doG, eh? They have a plan for you) and stuff went to shit again. What does the “Good Doktor” do? Tells her, essentially, that her vision of the perfect gut just doesn’t jive with Lisa’s real results—so suck it in and tough up; after all, we have to discredit Richard and Tim and you must be willing to sacrifice your well being for that cause.

She goes back to using potato starch and regains the well being she’d come accustomed to.

Astounding “malpractice” on the part of Grace. Thankfully, she decided to get herself all fucked up with me, because I will highlight this kind of stuff. I want all y’all having good sleeps and dreams out there, feeling warm & cozy. It’s your life.

1. Tom on January 20, 2015 at 09:41

Time to cut the cord and continue to do your own research.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 09:48

That is correct, Tom.

Ultimately, once you have the basic dots, it’s up to you to connect them according to your own picture.

I’ve always happily seen my blog as a revolving door. When someone says “I’m good, I don’t need to read you anymore or very often,” that is a success for me.

It is an attitude sorely missing in the blogosphere were every no-longer-reader is deemed as a failure needing correction.

2. tc on January 20, 2015 at 09:56

I’ve waded through so much M.D. garbage in my life. When someone presents themselves as a doctor I immediately put anything they say through exhaustive scrutiny. I would look up if a doctor told me the fucking sky was blue.

Everything that’s ever helped me has come anecdotally from the interwubz.

3. Lisa Truitt on January 20, 2015 at 10:01

Thanks Richard. If sharing my story helps people all I’m all for you using it. I’m going to try following Wilburs protocol and continue with my 3 tbsp rps a day. Maybe I can use your fiber blend when it’s ready. That would be great to have everything in one instead of buying so many different containers. You have a loyal reader here. Your blog and Tims will now be my primary microbiota blogs. I got sucked into the bullseye approach for awhile as you say. At first Graces claims in that regard, that there is a correct microbiota and we need to target doing things a certain way to achieve it seemed scientific and convincing, but I now think you are right and that there isnt one correct microbiota. I’ve learned to trust my instincts and experiences more. I understand that sometimes things can seem beneficial in the short run and be detrimental in the long run but when you look closely at all the info and evidence this isn’t one of those things.

4. Lisa Truitt on January 20, 2015 at 11:02

I’m a voracious researcher. Spend lots of time online reading studies, blogs of all sorts. I got lazy where Grace is concerned. I could have read those studies and figured out they don’t match her claims. I trusted her. She seems nice and caring and wanting to help people. I allowed myself to get snookered. It wasn’t because she has a phd and gets called doctor either. I am not an authority worshipper. I hate doctors and haven’t been to one for decades. I take care of my own health issues and order my own tests. So trust me, there is no cord to cut. I read Richards blog because it is interesting and helpful not because I consider him a Guru or something. Same thing for Graces blog. I am really a nerd and Internet junkie. I love to learn new things.

I am a rebel in truth. I tend to poo poo tradition and March to the beat of my own drummer.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 11:37

“It wasn’t because she has a phd and gets called doctor either”

She doesn’t have a PhD. She has what’s called a “professional doctorate,” basically equivalent to a bachelors or masters, depending on the program. Hers is pharmacology, so it’s more like a masters.

Thing is, she has forever put herself forward as equivalent of an MD or PhD in terms of the grind. And it’s not the case. She has not endured that WEEDING gauntlet.

• Harriet on January 20, 2015 at 16:03

Humph… I thought she must have a PhD. To my understanding without a PhD, MD, DLitt, etc, you cannot call oneself a doctor. Medical practitioners are allowed by law and custom to call themselves doctors. Others I’m not so sure of. Some vets and dentists also take the courtesy title. But marketing yourself a doctor when you only have a course degree? Especially when one is attempting to become a “high profile” and expert. Nah.

• Sidney on January 23, 2015 at 22:29

I’m going through the grind of becoming an M.D. now. It is so annoying to see all these people on the interent referring to themselves as “doctor” when in real life they’d never have the nerve to do so. Grace, Josh Axe, Pedram Shodai, etc.

To be an M.D. it requires 8 years of schooling, plus 3 years of residency, plus an optional 3-5 more years for fellowship. Also, there are real consequences for giving false/harmful advice as an M.D., such as beng sued or losing your license to practice. No such restrictions on the fake “doctors” out there.

5. Lisa Truitt on January 20, 2015 at 11:38

It had only been maybe three or four months that I intensely followed Graces blog and 2 or 3 of trying her no rps thing. A lot of the time I’ve done ok, but not quite as well as with rps with a few notable regressions. Particularly when traveling. I think I actually questioned and figured out the bullshit pretty quick. How long did Tim trust her and try out her way? I think it was at least as long if not longer. So to assume I am an authority worshipper who needs to cut the cord is unfair and very much a presumptuous assumption as far as I’m concerned.

• space on January 20, 2015 at 12:47

I’d say Tim never trusted what she was saying and always believed in RPS. He’s the one that figured all this out! Not Richard, and not Grace. He also knew all about inulin and the other fibers right from the start.
      What he is, is super duper nice. And Grace was really out of line.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 13:08

Space, just go fuck yourself. You’re too stupid.

• space on January 20, 2015 at 14:13

Hey, I’m sorry I didn’t express myself very well. I was just trying to make the point that Tim was onto all of this a while ago, and had no reason to follow Grace’s advice. I wasn’t intending to diss on you at the same time. Super duper came out wrong, and when I re-read the comment it seems totally uncalled for.
      Peace.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 14:59

Ok, cool. peace. I do that stuff sometimes, too, wake up with regrets.

6. Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 11:48

“How long did Tim trust her and try out her way?”

Actually, the question should be phrased: “how long did Tim do his own self-informed thing like he began, trusted himself, saw results, but placated Grace and tried (many many times) to run cover between Grace and I, at each other’s throats?”

Answer: Too long.

🙂

Tim is good people.

• Lisa Truitt on January 20, 2015 at 12:16

I experiment on myself all the time and ultimately it is my own n=1 that counts and rules. Where I got snookered was in believing her story about rps being harmful in the long run even if it seems helpful in the beginning. I trusted her take on studies I didn’t double check. Which honestly is not usually like me. I usually am skeptical and question things. After a bit though of thinking about just how much the rps had helped me I couldn’t stand it anymore and went into scrutinizing mode. For some reason with Grace I trusted her and didn’t immediately cross examine everything. I do read studies, but a lot of the time I don’t like it and force myself and have to just struggle through it. I find them tedious and get impatient that frequently I have to reread things multiple times to understand the jargon and figure out what the hell they just said. So i think what got me into trouble was really a bit of laziness on my part combined with for some reason thinking here is a nice smart lady I can outsource some of this tedious study reading and interpreting to. Kind of like how I’m thinking about outsourcing buying 13 different containers of fibers to you so I only have to buy one and can simplify my life and do other things I’d rather do with the time I’d use buying keeping up with and digging into or combining myself 13 different fibers. But alas, she was not trustworthy.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 13:01

“I trusted her take on studies I didn’t double check. Which honestly is not usually like me.”

It has really been her MO for a while. Nobody ought trust an MD outright, but we all kinda do sometimes, to some extent (less and less and less and less for me–it’s just a gig to me). But for years she has perpetuated the outright fraud that she survived that hellacious weeding process in some way. It was ambiguous, cause she never called herself MD or PhD. She didn’t correct you if you assumed either or both.

Ok, but how about her words? Well, I already dealt with that, linked in the post. She’s happy to say stuff, post a link to a study as affirmation, and the study contradicts and she makes no clarification. She trusts you’ll see “Dr. Goddess,” not reality.

She has not earned the right to call herself Dr to get people to assume. Moreover, it’s clear that she ought not legitimately hold that title since she was willing to harm your life and well being for her agenda.

7. John Brisson on January 20, 2015 at 18:23

Richard,

It is possible though in people with Klebsiella pneumoniae overgrowth that feeding potato starch would cause issues in riding oneself of the bacterium. Advocating that no harm could come from the use of potato starch and probiotic supplements (include HSO’S) is incorrect.

There is anecdotal evidence that shows that HSO’s and potato starch help some people with their digestive concerns. There is also just as much anecdotal evidence of potato starch and HSO’s causing issues with some people as well.

You know my stance on HSO’s is pretty harsh. My stance on potato starch is a little lighter. You and I will never see eye to eye when it comes to soil based organisms. But I am not going to call you a dumbass because of your beliefs. You paint the other side of the picture for a healthy debate.

I believe outside of the personal squabbles you Grace have, it appears to me that this was all she was trying to say through her blog.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 18:49

Tell you what, John. Please email an exhaustive analysis of the 2-3 dozen HSO in raw honey, and why it’s both a probiotic and and antiseptic all in one, potentially eaten by even pre homo going back almost 5 million years, and so on.

In the meantime, I’ll continue drafting my post in that precise regard–and with a specific bent on having everyone dismiss fearmongers over HSO’s in general.

Good timing.

• John Brisson on January 20, 2015 at 19:13

If you are writing the same post, I will write the counterbalance to your post in my blog. Please cite the HSO’s that are found in the honey. I will cite the studies and cases of disease that may or may not come from them and if they are native to modern day gut flora.

I welcome the debate as always and do not shy away from it. Hell, I do not know who is always right, but I’ll be damned if I will not give the other side. You should at least respect that if you are who you claim to be.

I love being called a fearmonger anyway. It is a conspiracy theorists wet dream.

Also, HSO’s like all bacteria have evolved since then. Therefore what might have been harmless or harmful for ancient man might be harmless or harmful for modern man.

What about racial components of a diet and bacteria flora? The bacteria flora of a person of Nordic Caucasian heritage would be different of someone of Native American heritage if you based it on ancient man. Therefore is it possible based on this that potato starch would not be beneficial across all cultures?

Of course I do not subscribe to that train of thought. Ancient bacterial study and flora probably mean very little when applied to modern man because bacteria constantly changes.

Hell, I would be scared if they cultured an ancient HSO (or any bacteria in general) they thought was a miracle that was preserved in fossilized frozen soil. We have no tolerance to it whatsoever.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 20:14

“but I’ll be damned if I will not give the other side. You should at least respect that if you are who you claim to be.”

No sir, that’s me. Humans and pre humans have been ingesting HBOs for millions of years as a function of living on a planet made from star stuff. You seek to scare people. I won’t have it. Simple. And you’ll be marginalized. The opposite for me.

• John Brisson on January 20, 2015 at 20:28

People have been ingesting HSO’s, and they have been living in and around us forever. I have never said that they have not.

But has everyone been ingesting certain strains that are considered to be HSO “probiotics” throughout the millennia or are they even natural gut flora? Bacillus subtillis is only natural flora for those that have ingested Natto or fermented food products in Nigeria for centuries. It is not native flora for you or me. To say that it could not cause an infection if the timing is right is ignorant to say the least. This is all I try to warn people about.

We know that something as benign as Lactobacillus acidophilus can cause infections. Yet, Bacillus subtillis can not? It is a lot easier to eliminate an opportunistic Lactobacillus acidophilus than a Bacillus subtillis infection.

Anything can cause issues for anyone. To say something is perfect and causes no issues for whatsoever is foolish, you should know that.

You only answered my post with a straw hand response. You never answered any of the counter arguments I gave.
      For me on the other hand it is not native. To say it could not cause an infection if the timing is right is ignorant to say the least. This is all I try to warn people about.

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2015 at 21:00

“This is all I try to warn people about.”

You and Grace need to get together.

WARN people. Wave hands and shit. Pretend you can throw a bullseye. Pretend that when you name a certain strain its absolute and the rest of the trillions of mix have nothing to do whith it.

Then go at least pretend to fuck off, because like Grace cunt, you are willing to hurt people.

Btw, you worthless fuck, Amazon has deliveres over 6,000 bottles of prescript Assist, AOR, and PR oher the last year via my associate link and I have had nothing but good report, including family.

You are a worthless piece of shit, willing to harm people, just like Grace.

Welcome to my scope.

• John Brisson on January 20, 2015 at 21:09

You refuse to debate and personally attack me. I said not one unkind thing to you Richard.

Just like the trolls that attack me over the information I provide, you do the same with no substance.

All I do is caution people that playing on a train track may get you hurt or killed. I do not even tell people not to play on said train track.

• Tim maitski on January 21, 2015 at 04:43

HSO is short for homeostatic soil organism. I thought I’d save other people time. I’m sure I’m not the only one who didn’t know.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2015 at 10:06

John, I’m really sorry that you look for a civilized “debate,” and I’m not the least fuck interested.

Neither do I debate people who believe in flying, rainbow-farting unicorns.

You don’t get it. People cannot avoid ingesting spore forming bacteria, yeasts, fungi. All people already have all three where some are spore formers.

It’s an inexorable part of nature and someone who tries to scare people about them (implicitly suggesting they can avoid them) gets my worst treatment.

I don’t give a fuck in the world what you think about it. Fuck you.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2015 at 10:14

…Moreover, the bacteria the probably kills most today, c. diff, is a spore former.

But when do people most commonly get it? After antibiotic carpet bombing. IOW, it’s no longer held in check. And, for all we know, c. diff is a bebeficial bug (like some strains of e. coli) when in an ecosystem.

I’d encourage you to take up salt water aquaria. I’ve had many tanks over more than 20 years and it teaches you that there’s no such thing as good or bad. Everything good can become bad and everything bad can be good, so long as everything is in a balance.

…But the idea that I can eradicate the ick parasite from a tank, or any number of other parasites, is for fools wanting to spend a lot of money an pollute their tanks with various forms of concentrated chemicals, or minerals (like copper).

What annoys me about people like you is that like Grace, you fuck with people with the false notion that you can easily hit bullseyes, which is total bullsshits.

• John Brisson on January 21, 2015 at 15:15

I understand Richard why you protect the use of HSO’s with such gusto. To admit there is any risk at all would be detrimental to a part of your income.

Six thousand people that ordered HSO’s from your Amazon and no reports of inverse reactions is anecdotal evidence at its best. I get e-mails from people having issues with taking said “probiotics” as well, and even that is anecdotal. I close friend of mine became very ill from Primal Defense after having emergency abdominal surgery. What might be okay for a majority of people, might always cause issues in a minority of people, also known as risk assessment?

We do have native spore-forming flora you are correct about that. C. difficle is not native flora to everyone, but is easily spread in combined areas like hospitals that lead to greater infection. You are also correct in your inference about C. difficle being a more mainstream issue because of the overuse of antibiotics. Just because something is normal flora does not mean it is always beneficial. Any bacteria can turn on us at any time. If Grok ate and got a lot of HSO’s from dirt, he did not eat enteric coated spore cultured bacteria by volume.

I know in my heart that CoQ10 protected my sons heart from his CMEMS. His heart lasted fifteen minutes without being able to breathe when his lungs failed. His heart was structurally sound to the point that his cardiologist could not believe that his disease left untouched because of mitochondrial support. I am not going to use the same venomous hate that you spill out towards people who say CoQ10 does nothing. I understand what it is to be passionate. I just shake my head and realize they are misguided and do my best to spread awareness.

I also realize that Coq10 supplementation may have drawbacks in some people. It has a negative feedback loop and rarely it may cause allergic reactions. I do not say it is a 100% safe though there are way more studies on it than HSO’s proving its safety.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2015 at 15:36

Someone is allergic to just about everything. Peanuts can kill. I get itchy bumps on the outsides of both arms if I eat two large lobster tails–but not one.

And yet, I don’t go around issuing dire warnings about things that are very uncommon risks. Prescript Assist and others have been on the market for like a dozen years. It’s demonstrated very safe for the very vast majority of people, as well as has been very helpful for a lot.

And BTW, if I thought your stuff would in any way cut into my income, I’d be ignoring you. I’m not, because the hand wavers over HSOs have been around all along. Nobody who wants to try these things cares.

• John on January 21, 2015 at 15:45

You are ridiculous. Everyone knows you attack HSOs to increase traffic to your blog and to boost ebook sales. Your cited evidence is weak and taken out of context. Your arguments hold even less substance. Attacking HSOs has become your little niche in the health blogosphere, which would otherwise completely ignore you. Outside of the waning bulletproof forums you are utterly irrelevant. I suspect you’ve hurt more people with your horrible advice than you’ve helped. Btw, why is every photo of you from the neck up? Afraid people would stop buying your ebooks if they knew you were obese?

• John on January 21, 2015 at 15:50

I’ve been using PA myself for over 2 years with no issues whatsoever.

One of the many absurd things Brisson claims is that if you take HSOs and you get into a car accident, you’ll quickly die of sepsis because antibiotics are ineffective against them. As if none of us have an innate immune system. This is how far fetched his arguments have become. He knows he’s probably wrong about HSOs but his ego won’t let it go.

• John Brisson on January 21, 2015 at 15:54

Nice to see you again HealthByDiet or is the JP?

I used to be obese this is true I do not shy away from that. I used to be 230 it is an old picture of me. I am currently 165 and are continuing to loose weight.

Funny you are trying to hide behind a different name.

• John Brisson on January 21, 2015 at 15:58

Sigh, HealthByDiet, you can never give any facts. HBD just like Richard apparently goes straight to the character bashing. No wonder you got banned from the BP forums.

• John on January 21, 2015 at 16:04

Who’s hiding? Like you, I was also given the name John at birth. I’ve never actually posted anything on the bulletproof forums. Never really saw anything there worthwhile commenting on.

I find it strange that you would continue to use an old photo if you’ve made so much progress with reducing your weight. Smells like bullshit to me.

• Duck Dodgers on January 21, 2015 at 16:16

John,

Raw honey is an interesting food because only a few high-sugar tolerant microorganisms can survive in it. But few people seem to realize that raw honey is excellent at preserving spores. These spores are picked up by bees from dirt, pollen, dust and the digestive tracts of bees (bees literally poop in the honey comb).

You’ll be elated to know that most of the spores found in raw honey are indeed considered “pathogenic” in insolation. Raw honey contains problematic yeast spores, mold spores, and pathogenic bacteria like C. botulinum—which is why raw honey should not be fed to infants or people with compromised immune systems. Luckily, raw honey can also contain some powerhouse antimicrobial bacteria like Bacillus Laterosporus, which secretes antimicrobial compounds capable of killing candida (yeast) and aspergillus (mold).

All the pathogen spores in raw honey sound scary, right? You’d easily have a field day with it warning people to stay away from raw honey. And no doubt, you’d probably convince people to fear honey. And, indeed, most people would likely be worse off listening to your fear-mongering.

See, the problem with your theory, John, is that you won’t be able to acknowledge the glaring paradox—that the overwhelming majority of studies done on raw honey consumption show extraordinary health benefits. Seriously, it’s not even a contest.

Honey is truly a super food that has been eaten in significant quantities consistently by humans for about 5 million years. How is it that a high-sugar, pathogen-bearing, dessert food imparts such health benefits?

Hint: You’ll never figure it out if you just keep focussing on the negatives.

A word of wisdom that can bring sense to the madness. Opposite or contrary forces can also be complementary.

Cheers

• John Brisson on January 21, 2015 at 17:04

E-mail me through my site you know where to find me. Ill send you updated pictures if you care enough. I am not scared. Weird how you use the same insults as HBD and JP.

• John Brisson on January 21, 2015 at 17:13

I have no issues with the consumption of raw honey in most cases. Of course, you would not want to feed it to a baby, which you mentioned DD. Also, someone who has SIBO, honey may or may not make it worse. I recommend Manuka Honey in my book (granted in most cases it is not raw.)

The amount of bacteria, which someone would ingest in one tablespoon of raw honey, would be a lot less than a dosage of Prescript Assist or Megaspore. Also, the bacteria found in raw honey was crafted by nature not man in a laboratory.

Honey has a lot of phenolic compounds and trace nutrients. It is not all bacteria that compromise its benefits!

If I wrote a blog about honey, it would show the overwhelming pros and the few cons. The same thing could be said in my entry about S. Bolaardii, which we know is a HSO that can cause fungemia in its darkest hour. Just because I give the negatives about something does not mean I am against its use.

• Duck Dodgers on January 21, 2015 at 17:46

“I am the Yang to Richards Yin in the gut health debate. Sadly, he cannot see it that way.”

Do we really need to debate the fact that virtually any bacteria can become pathogenic when it obtains high population density?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum_sensing

From: Wikipedia: Quorum sensing

“Quorum sensing is a system of stimulus and response correlated to population density. Many species of bacteria use quorum sensing to coordinate gene expression according to the density of their local population…[Opportunistic] bacteria can grow within a host without harming it, until they reach a threshold concentration. Then they become aggressive, developing to the point at which their numbers are sufficient to overcome the host’s immune system, and form a biofilm, leading to disease within the host as the biofilm is a protective layer encasing the bacteria population.”

Oh dear.

John, nobody needs to “debate” that. Anyone who has studied the microbiome knows that most bacteria are completely harmless until they reach a certain population density. Once that threshold is reached, quorum sensing switches perfectly harmless bacteria into opportunistic pathogens. This isn’t exactly news to us.

Virtually any bacteria can become pathogenic when it reaches a certain population density. To come here and try to “debate” this subject is a complete waste of our time.

• John Brisson on January 22, 2015 at 20:17

Tell that to Richard DD, according to him not documenting that HSO’s might have issues is important because it might deter more than a few people who may get sick from it (compromised immune systems) that need to know of sad risk.

Remember, for PA Kresser (who I do respect) states:

“Finally, Prescript-Assist microflora are recognized Class 1 Etiological Agents, non-toxic, non-pathogenic, from independently maintained lines — this is well documented in both of the Clinical Therapeutics Articles. More than a decade of use as a supplement has revealed no adverse effects and/or side-effects [including reportedly patients with impaired immune systems], as well as the initial demonstrations with repeated consumptions of doses amounting to 500X that recommended for ordinarily daily use with no ill effect.”

*spore-forming-organisms*

Does not contain any non pathogenic strains my ass.

• Duck Dodgers on January 23, 2015 at 09:17

Meh.. Anything can be pathogenic. This is hardly news. If you have a compromised immune system, it’s your responsibility to be careful.

From: Probiotic use in clinical practice: what are the risks?

Probiotics have been advocated for the prevention and treatment of a wide range of diseases, and there is strong evidence for their efficacy in some clinical scenarios. Probiotics are now widely used in many countries by consumers and in clinical practice. Given the increasingly widespread use of probiotics, a thorough understanding of their risks and benefits is imperative. In this article we review the safety of probiotics and discuss areas of uncertainty regarding their use. Although probiotics have an excellent overall safety record, they should be used with caution in certain patient groups—particularly neonates born prematurely or with immune deficiency. Because of the paucity of information regarding the mechanisms through which probiotics act, appropriate administrative regimens, and probiotic interactions, further investigation is needed in these areas. Finally, note that the properties of different probiotic species vary and can be strain-specific. Therefore, the effects of one probiotic strain should not be generalized to others without confirmation in separate studies. Careful consideration should be given to these issues before patients are advised to use probiotic supplements in clinical practice.

You could save us all a lot of time by just doing a single blog post explaining what that study says. And most people already know this. Other than that, you’re mainly just self-serving by fear-mongering.

• John Brisson on January 23, 2015 at 11:59

It is information that PA, Chris Kresser, and Richard somehow gloss over. It is not fear mongering if everyone reports and assume that it is 100% DD.

Just because you and I know the truth does not mean everyone who reads on the Internet knows it to be true. Especially when you got big names saying that it is 100% safe.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2015 at 12:27

Hey John, do you have anything new to actually add? You’ve already been informed that ANY microbe can grow in absolute or relative proportion to be pathogenic.

So, unless you have something truly new to add, how about better use your time by, say, going down to the local street corner and urge everyone to look both ways before they cross the street.

• John Brisson on January 23, 2015 at 19:00

Glad you finally admitted Richard. Now if I can get you to admit that a Lactobacillus infection would be easier to deal with a endospore bacterium infection and if you can get the same digestive improvement though other means than using HSO’s then I would be on the right track.

In addition, if you could admit that taking in potato starch does have issues for some people, I would appreciate that also.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 07:43

Go fuck off, dick breath.

I don’t play games. Take your “admissions” and shove ’em right up your ass.

8. Anand Srivastava on January 20, 2015 at 22:20

I guess everybody’s gut is different. For me to get back my sleep I had to reintroduce lentils in my diet.

Being Indian we have a lot of lentils in our diet, cooked as a soup. We call it Daal.

I used to have a craving for the Daal. But after I went with the paleo ideals, I got rid of the cravings, probably because of the increased protein in the diet. I lost a lot of weight. Everything was good. But over time, after I stopped losing weight and started gaining it back again. Its a mixup as I had got lulled into thinking that I could get by just on diet, and stopped exercising (I hate exercise).

Later I realized that I needed exercise to keep my weight off. I would try to restart my exercise and I would lose my sleep. I didn’t know what was happening. After understanding that we need a whole lot of prebiotics and a wide variety of them. I have started to add daal back, along with sprouts, etc. Now I am getting good sleep, I have started exercising again. I now understand the true reason for those daal cravings, it was not just protein.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2015 at 07:56

“Thanks Richard. Your blog is actually at the fore front of diet experimentation. If I was forced to follow only one diet and lifestyle blog, it would be yours.”

Thanks you sir for being such a top-notch contributor in comments for a good number of years now. And even on some of the political / finance stuff. You’re a curious man with wide interests, my kinda dude.

9. Elliebelly on January 21, 2015 at 05:23

i just want to give a shout out for using sleep to judge a particular intervention. Interrupted sleep was my main motivation for all my experiments over the last twenty years. Sleeping better was how I judged if I was on The right track. So I was pleased to read that Paul Jaminet also thought that sleep was a good metric to rely on. Here is what he said when writing about Seth Roberts:

But Seth was wedded to experimentation as a scientific methodology. This worked well as long as he was using sleep quality as a biomarker, since sleep quality is close to 100% correlated with health. He entered riskier ground, I think, when he selected reaction time as a biomarker to optimize. I doubt this has a simple relationship to health; I suspect one can improve reaction time while damaging health. And when optimizing this biomarker led him to consume large amounts of butter on top of large amounts of flaxseed oil, I think he should have recalled the arguments of our book, and been more persuaded by them than he was.

• Elliebelly on January 21, 2015 at 13:52

I agree with you that bowel regularity and form is very likely an excellent indicator as well. what is interesting to me is that both are sort of grey areas for the general population, in that most people don’t have a clear standard to go by. When did your doctor even ask question one about either?

I assume that you could be excellent in both categories and still develop some disease or other but but the chances are way less likely.

Since my sleep has improved as I improved my blood sugar, I would be curious to know what the sleep patterns were for unsuspecting people who were surprised to be diagnosed with diabetes? Is it just me or is there a pattern?

• sl on January 21, 2015 at 10:58

Elliebelly – thank you for bringing up Seth Roberts. I was thinking along the same lines. Along with sleep, I had wondered if there were other markers you could use, say bowel regularity and form? Can you be regular and still be in ill health?

• Wilbur on January 21, 2015 at 15:03

I’ve read that wound healing is a good marker for general health. My wounds stop bleeding so quickly that it amazes me. Any single wound can be a fluke, but it happens on all of them. One of my dogs spun me around into a two-hundred lb grill, and I got a huge gash on my forehead/scalp. It started pouring blood. It stopped completely before I had time to get a towel. I had a headache for days. I get shaving cuts that just have a bead of blood. It’s quite remarkable.

• Energy! on January 23, 2015 at 04:40

My #1 marker is energy level. Related markers are ability to focus, stamina, ambition, and mood.

10. gabkad on January 21, 2015 at 07:03

Last year when the RPS was a big thing happening, I recommended it to one of my patients who has constipation that is resistant to every usual intervention: like psyllium, vegetables, blah and blah. She was at her wits end and thought the next step was seeing a psychologist. As it happens I had a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch at the office. I gave it to her.

A couple of weeks later she emailed me to report that she’s never had such fabulous bowel movements in memory. She added the PS to the psyllium. Since then she’s had her thyroid function tested: it’s fine. And various other blood tests done to rule out other potential reasons for whatever ailed her. Nada.

She had an appointment on Monday and the first thing she told me is “I’m never going to go without the potato starch for as long as I live. This has literally saved my life.”

I was wondering if possibly the potato starch has rehabilitated atrophied colon muscles and if she’s tried to go without for any period of time. Yes, she has gone for a couple of days but the constipation comes back.

She eats beans and other pulses (she’s Greek, they like their beans) but even that never helped her.

I’ve got quite a number of my patients taking potato starch (not 4 tablespoons per day…. 1 to 2 tablespoons. Children take 1 heaping teaspoon before bedtime.) and without exception they all report good bowel movements and better sleep.

I am very grateful to the work done by Tim and Richard. Because of them I have been given the necessary information my patients have required to improve the quality of their lives.

11. Harriet on January 21, 2015 at 21:43

Potato starch has certainly helped both bowel function and sleep. Cooked lentils and a little honey at bedtime are also a positive. I am even sleeping some nights all through the night, though waking once in the night for a loo stop is usual. But drop my PS to 2 tbs (from 4) and that night I wake up two to four times a night, even more over time without PS. My theory is that I should be able to get sufficient RS to do the job through my food, but my personal experience so far hasn’t supported that theory and I go back to taking 4 TBS of PS daily.

I have some really beautiful fresh organic honey that a friend takes from her bees. It is the most beautiful taste out but the funny thing is that after a teaspoon and a half my body says, that’s enough and I don’t enjoy it any more. So I keep my consumption to just under the body requirement so I enjoy every second of it in my mouth.

Thanks Richard and Tim for the ongoing conversation.

12. lisatruitt on January 22, 2015 at 02:53

Hi Harriet. I am having the same experience as you. Yesterday only took 2 tbsp and didn’t sleep as well. I went out like a light and slept 3 hours and then went out like a light and slept 3 hours again but couldn’t go to sleep again. For every additional tbsp over 2 sleep gets a little better. I’ve never gone over 4 so I don’t know what that would do. I read on Richards blog before about people taking more than that and it helping them. I don’t know exactly what it is about the rs2 from rps specifically that has this wonderful effect. You can get a lot of rs3 from food if you do it right. I have Richards table of rs in food. Roasted potato is 19 g. Beans are very high. Grits are very high. I found out by the way that quick grits are just a smaller particle size so they cook quicker. At marks daily Apple a lady was saying that she figured that they were processed some way that reduced the rs but that isn’t so. I would like to get some that don’t have vitamins added however. Maybe can order online. But for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to matter how much of these things I load up on they are not as good alone as with the rs2 sups as well.

I also want to report that I was having some heartburn before I started back on the rps and it is gone since taking again. The total opposite that Grace says she experienced.

I can’t remember exactly how I was taking rps a few months back. Now I’ve been taking with meals. It seems that would be best for blood sugar and insulin control and weight loss but I’m wondering if taking a lot of it near bedtime all at once is better for sleep. Anyone have any experience with this being true or not?

13. Amy on January 22, 2015 at 09:32

I just started Bob’s RPS a week or two ago due to some activity on a discussion board I go to. I also got a bottle of Probiotic-3 without knowing about Richard’s recs. My blood sugar has dropped dramatically and is still on the way down. I also seemed to sleep better.

Then a couple days ago I got my order of the Probiotic Assist and Primal Defense , plus a bunch of the fibers that Tim recommends. I’d done well on the RPS and loading with some lactic-acid based probiotics along with the Probiotic-3, so figured I could load on the SBO. I don’t think that was a good idea. My sleep has been interrupted (seem to be a bit overstimulated) and I’m kinda constipated now. Which was not the case on just the RPS and Probiotic-3

To be clear, I’m not alarmed because I’ve been doing natural health for a long time and have been through a whole lot of stuff that mainstream and scaremongers shriek “Poison! You’ll POISON yourself with that stuff!” over. I’ve also been through a whole lot of “get worse before you get better”, simply because I was in such bad shape when I started. I will be tweaking my regimen and cutting back on doses of stuff for a while to build tolerance. So no scaries here.

But just wondering from Richard or anyone if this “stimulation” from big initial loading doses of the SBO’s has happened to others that they know of? Is this reaction atypical? I’m still in the process of trying to read through all resistant-starch tagged posts here, and the comments, which is time-consuming and bit daunting, but haven’t run across this yet. Any quick insights appreciated.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2015 at 14:34

Amy, I’d been an old hand at just RPS for a like a year before I introduced the three probiotics. When I did, it was good for me.

Also, for my mom, she had had basically chronic direes for 3-4 months, and potato starch didn’t fix it. Literally one single dose of those deadly HSOs did it. She actually had to back off ’cause they clogged her up, eventually.

Really, everyone does have to figure for themselves, from a template. I hope I’ve given a decent template to work from, not tried to hurt anyone to get back at other bloggers, etc.

• John Brisson on January 23, 2015 at 18:57

“I’ve given a decent template to work from, not tried to hurt anyone to get back at other bloggers, etc.”

Oh please Richard, disparaging Grace and I, telling us to “Fuck Off” was you not trying to get back at other bloggers?

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 07:41

You are a fucktard. Conflating calling you names with hurting OTHER people.

Go away, dick cheese.

14. Diane on January 22, 2015 at 10:03

I am one of those too that tried to follow Grace and take out the rps. I did just inulin and acacia gum for awhile. And for awhile nothing. I became a bloated mess. I was constipated (again!) and just feeling blah. I added the rps back in a few weeks ago and my stomach is back to flat. I am not gassy. I look great. And feel great. I had done rps for a year before this. This time I am mixing in more variety and it is awesome. I am one of those people who when starting rps gained ten pounds but you couldn’t tell. It was, I believe, an increase in my gut bio dome. Rps helped make me regular for the first time in my life. Thank you and I look forward to being a beta tester!!!

15. Duck Dodgers on January 22, 2015 at 11:08

Unfortunately, Grace has become a fiber supremacist.

Furthermore, she has claimed that raw RS2 is only typically found in plants that aren’t safe to eat raw. However, she’s not done her homework in that regard, as there are important instances of non-toxic RS2 staple foods that she has not considered. Here are two:

In Ethiopia, the Ensete plant (Ensete ventricosum), also known as ‘False Banana’ is often cooked theses days, but it is an excellent source of RS2 when eaten raw. No doubt, it would have been a tremendous source of RS2, in Eithiopia, before cooking was invented.

From: Enset – The ‘False Banana’ as Food Security

Enset – what is it?
    Also known as “false banana” due to its striking resemblance to the banana plant, Enset (Ensete Scitamineae) is a traditional staple crop in many parts of densely populated south and south-western Ethiopia. Records suggest that Enset has been grown in Ethiopia for more than 10,000 years. Indigenous hunter/gatherers of southern Ethiopia are thought to have been the first to cultivate Enset, and later introduced it to the Cushitic-speaking people of the northern highlands, only for it to be replaced by cerealbased crops due to the migration of the Semitic people. Enset is virtually unknown as a foodstuff outside Ethiopia and in western countries, variants are often grown as ornamental garden plants. The root of the plant provides food in the form of starch, the stem is used to produce a coarse fibre, and the leaves are fed to cattle, whose manure is in turn used to fertilise the plant. Although Enset is a protein-poor crop, its deep roots give it a greater resilience to drought than other cereal crops and consequently, a greater degree of food security to those who grow it…

…The major food products obtained from the Enset plant are kocho, bulla and amicho, all of which are simple to produce once the plant is harvested, and can be stored for long periods without spoiling.

While Ensete is now often eaten cooked, it is also safely eaten raw and obviously would have been eaten raw before cooking was invented. John Hame explains:

From: Humane Development: Participation and Change Among the Sadama of Ethiopia, by John H. Hame, p. 18

“To serve ensete as food a woman first removes it from the pit, wraps the mash in a handful of the stringlike fibers from the stem of the plant, and squeezes out the liquid content. She then kneads and sifts it into a fine flour. Transformation from raw material to food is now complete, and the finished product is referred to as wasa. It may be served as raw, sour-tasting flour mixed with vegetables, made into small pancakes, or occasionally baked into bread.”

And here’s the kicker… Enset starch has roughly the same amount of amylose as potato starch does.

Literature Review On Enset Starch: Physico-Chemical Properties And Pharmaceutical Applications, by Wondimu, et al. (2014)

According to a study by Gebre-Mariam and Shimidt the amylose content of enset starch was estimated to be 29.0%. Another study, however, indicated that the amylose content to be 21%. The variation could arise from differences in the methodologies used for determination of the amylose content. Both of the studies showed that the amylose content of enset starch was comparable with that of potato starch…

…The average granule size of enset starch was 37.7μm, which was comparable to that of potato starch (38.2 μm).

Basically Enset is the Ethiopian non-toxic version of a potato, and it’s a major staple for Ethiopians.

But, no, it doesn’t end there. Those Peruvians that gave us potatoes full of hormetic glycoalkaloids apparently never bothered to tell the Spanish about Canna, the edible rhizome that is very high in amylose and is safe to consume raw.

From: Wikipedia: Canna Agriculture Group

The Canna Agriculture Group contains all of the varieties of Canna used in agriculture. Canna achira and Canna edulis (Latin: eatable) are generic terms used in South America to describe the cannas that have been selectively bred for agricultural purposes, normally derived from C. discolor. It is grown especially for its edible rootstock from which starch is obtained, but the leaves and young seed are also edible, and achira was once a staple foodcrop in Peru and Ecuador…

…Canna is still grown for human consumption in the Andes and also in Vietnam and southern China, where the starch is used to make cellophane noodles.

Rootstock – actually a rhizome, this can be eaten either raw or cooked. It is the source of canna starch which is used as a substitute for arrowroot. The starch is obtained by rasping the rhizome to a pulp, then washing and straining to get rid of the fibres. This starch is very digestible. The very young rhizomes can also be eaten cooked, they are sweet but fibrous. The rhizome can be very large, sometimes as long as a person’s forearm. In Peru the rhizomes are baked for up to 12 hours by which time they become a white, translucent, fibrous and somewhat mucilaginous mass with a sweetish taste.

We can learn more about Canna here:

Eat The Weeds: Canna Confusion

Here’s a paper showing that the starch grains of Canna are higher in amylose than potato starch.

From: Characterization of Starch from two Ecotypes of Andean Achira Roots (Canna edulis), by Cisneros (2009)

“Achira (C. edulis) roots (70 kg of each ecotype) were obtained in the year 2001 from the San Gaban and Sandia regions of Puno in southeastern Peru…

…The amylose contents of San Gaban and Sandia achira starches were 39 and 33%, respectively. These values are relatively high when compared to traditional sources of starch such as potato (27%) and corn (24%) (Table 2). These results confirm the high-amylose values reported for achira starch in previous studies (12).

…In summary, achira starch showed some unusual properties, such as very large granules and relatively high amylose content”

It’s not hard to see that RS2-rich staple foods were eaten raw by ancient Ethiopians and Peruvians. There are likely other examples, but I suppose it’s apparent that Grace won’t be looking for them.

• gabkad on January 22, 2015 at 18:12

Duckie, don’t they ferment enset? Bury it in the ground, cover it up and let it anaerobically rot?

• Duck Dodgers on January 22, 2015 at 19:08

Yep! That preparation is mentioned in the “safely eaten raw” link, above.

16. Jake on January 22, 2015 at 11:10

“Hmmm, so what other markers might we add? I vote for mood stability. Clear skin? ( All things that people here have reported benefit from intake of fibers)”

Immune function is another I’ve had the good fortune to witness. The other day I had a slight cough and soreness of throat. Before pre/probiotics this would have developed into a nasty cold that would have kept me down for days, but not this time. This part is subjective, but I swear I can almost feel my immune system kicking this shit’s ass… In any event, it’s gone now and I chalk it up tho the gut bugs protecting their turf.

17. nathan on February 12, 2017 at 12:26

Dear Richard, please forgive my writing .I have very bad punctuation and writing skills.I was reading some of the posts about prescript assist.After watching peoples comments on using prescript assist and the recommendations of Chris Kresser I decided to give it a try.After about two months use it started to overgrow uncrontrollably.I got a case of constant diahrea for two weeks and lost twenty one pounds.I have been trying to get rid of it for months and it is still there.I was convinced it would help me.Not sure what to think now!I its truly the worst infection I could possibly imagine.The last thing I want to do is steer people away that this stuff might help.I would appreciate your thoughts on why you think this happened?Thank you!

• Richard Nikoley on February 12, 2017 at 12:47

Hi Nathan:

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

But, how is it you know that a strain in the PA caused this? Have you had stool cultures or any other clinical tests that point in that direction?

I once had a bad, bad, bad case of the shits for at least two months. Not certain cause, but it presented the next day after having a seafood buitto sort of thing in a Mexican restaurant in Hong Kong, complete with bottomless pitchers of margaritas and dancing on tables with 7th Fleet staffmates.

I eventually got over it when the staff doc recommended a coca-cola only diet. A few days later it was gone. Basically, starved it out or at least starved it to low enough levels the gut biome could keep it in check.

18. nathan on February 12, 2017 at 13:09

The prescript assist is the only thing I did different the only thing at all. I’m about 90% certain its from prescript assist.As I start anything new I always make sure to pay very close attention to the effects.What tests could I do to make sure? The most important thing is to figure out how to get rid of these infections.They are so severe I cant even function! It literally feels like a live bee hive is swarming inside my intestinal system .Its tearing up my intestinal tissue.Any thoughts on what to use to help with this?

• Richard Nikoley on February 12, 2017 at 14:23

Dude, you aren’t listening.

It’s not the “only thing you did different.” You ate food, you were in contact with other people, you went to the bathroom, etc.

You would have to get your gut sequenced, stool cultured, etc., to find out what it is. You could have even picked up a mild c. diff infection. You Don’t Know the cause. You’re in pure speculation mode, post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Moreover, I already told you what I did. I had over two months of complete brown water for shit, and it was explosive, painful, and relentless. I drank coca cola as my only calories for a few days, I think it took about a week to start getting better and I added yogurt to the mix, as I recall, but I ate very light and very mono (very few different kinds of foods) for a good while.

One other time, I ate an undercooked sausage from a street cart in Pattaya Beach, Thailand, drunk, at like 4 am and by 6 or seven, I had a fever, was vomiting my guts out, couldn’t even hold down water for over two days…locked up in bed in a dark hotel room. Was ready to go to a clinic because of dehydration when I could finally hold water. Took two weeks on nothing but watermelon and iced tea before I could hold down regular food again.

Occam’s Razor. And, there’s no way to have a clue this has anything to do with PA unless you get clinical tests done that point to it as a plausible cause.

19. Amanda on July 7, 2017 at 21:34

Well that was an interesting read! And I mean the lovely discourse between you and John. Ha. I’m super glad I found this post! My functional MD has prescribed the Sporebiotic to me for my gut dysbiosis/SIBO and blasto. hom. infection. I’m guilty of doing the google research thing (can’t wait for my microbio class next semester) and found John’s blog. Yeah it kinda freaked me the fk out.
    I’ve read your blog for a long time Richard and although you can be just a bit crass 🙂 I definitely respect your opinions and I think you’re totally spot on- so I was very happy to read this and I really need to catch up on some of your other entries. I did try Elixa but it didn’t do much for me (probably because I have SIBO and other issues). So this spore thing sounded good up until I read John’s blog and maybe some of the comments of people losing their shit (pun not intended). I’d also like to add I’ve been reading the blog of Jeff Leach of the Human food project. He has been working and living with the Hadza in East Africa and notes their high fiber diet (high in resistant starch??) and how they’re exposed to soon many microorganisms in the soil on their food (spores anyone?) so it really makes me think that John could be very wrong…