Here’s Your “Gut Goddess” Right Here

There’s other comments to highlight, but I’m on a roll. Haven’t felt like blogging, I have a big post in draft on everything you never knew about honey, so this just hit me and I picked it.

I am one of those too that tried to follow Grace and take out the rps [Raw Potato Starch – Ed]. I did just inulin and acacia gum for awhile. And for awhile nothing. I became a bloated mess. I was constipated (again!) and just feeling blah. I added the rps back in a few weeks ago and my stomach is back to flat. I am not gassy. I look great. And feel great. I had done rps for a year before this. This time I am mixing in more variety and it is awesome. I am one of those people who when starting rps gained ten pounds but you couldn’t tell. It was, I believe, an increase in my gut bio dome. Rps helped make me regular for the first time in my life. Thank you and I look forward to being a beta tester!!!

Out of the blue, Duck goes to work, in his usual style with perfect html coding.

~~~

Unfortunately, Grace has become a fiber supremacist.

Furthermore, she has claimed that raw RS2 is only typically found in plants that aren’t safe to eat raw. However, she’s not done her homework in that regard, as there are important instances of non-toxic RS2 staple foods that she has not considered. Here are two:

In Ethiopia, the Ensete plant (Ensete ventricosum), also known as ‘False Banana’ is often cooked theses days, but it is an excellent source of RS2 when eaten raw. No doubt, it would have been a tremendous source of RS2, in Ethiopia, before cooking was invented.

From: Enset – The ‘False Banana’ as Food Security

Enset – what is it?

Also known as “false banana” due to its striking resemblance to the banana plant, Enset (Ensete Scitamineae) is a traditional staple crop in many parts of densely populated south and south-western Ethiopia. Records suggest that Enset has been grown in Ethiopia for more than 10,000 years. Indigenous hunter/gatherers of southern Ethiopia are thought to have been the first to cultivate Enset, and later introduced it to the Cushitic-speaking people of the northern highlands, only for it to be replaced by cerealbased crops due to the migration of the Semitic people. Enset is virtually unknown as a foodstuff outside Ethiopia and in western countries, variants are often grown as ornamental garden plants. The root of the plant provides food in the form of starch, the stem is used to produce a coarse fibre, and the leaves are fed to cattle, whose manure is in turn used to fertilise the plant. Although Enset is a protein-poor crop, its deep roots give it a greater resilience to drought than other cereal crops and consequently, a greater degree of food security to those who grow it…

…The major food products obtained from the Enset plant are kocho, bulla and amicho, all of which are simple to produce once the plant is harvested, and can be stored for long periods without spoiling.

While Ensete is now often eaten cooked, it is also safely eaten raw and obviously would have been eaten raw before cooking was invented. John Hame explains:

From: Humane Development: Participation and Change Among the Sadama of Ethiopia, by John H. Hame, p. 18

“To serve ensete as food a woman first removes it from the pit, wraps the mash in a handful of the stringlike fibers from the stem of the plant, and squeezes out the liquid content. She then kneads and sifts it into a fine flour. Transformation from raw material to food is now complete, and the finished product is referred to as wasa. It may be served as raw, sour-tasting flour mixed with vegetables, made into small pancakes, or occasionally baked into bread.”

And here’s the kicker… Enset starch has roughly the same amount of amylose as potato starch does.

Literature Review On Enset Starch: Physico-Chemical Properties And Pharmaceutical Applications, by Wondimu, et al. (2014)

According to a study by Gebre-Mariam and Shimidt the amylose content of enset starch was estimated to be 29.0%. Another study, however, indicated that the amylose content to be 21%. The variation could arise from differences in the methodologies used for determination of the amylose content. Both of the studies showed that the amylose content of enset starch was comparable with that of potato starch…

…The average granule size of enset starch was 37.7μm, which was comparable to that of potato starch (38.2 μm).

Basically Enset is the Ethiopian non-toxic version of a potato, and it’s a major staple for Ethiopians. But, no, it doesn’t end there. Those Peruvians that gave us potatoes full of hormetic glycoalkaloids apparently never bothered to tell the Spanish about Canna, the edible rhizome that is very high in amylose and is safe to consume raw.

From: Wikipedia: Canna Agriculture Group

The Canna Agriculture Group contains all of the varieties of Canna used in agriculture. Canna achira and Canna edulis (Latin: eatable) are generic terms used in South America to describe the cannas that have been selectively bred for agricultural purposes, normally derived from C. discolor. It is grown especially for its edible rootstock from which starch is obtained, but the leaves and young seed are also edible, and achira was once a staple foodcrop in Peru and Ecuador…

…Canna is still grown for human consumption in the Andes and also in Vietnam and southern China, where the starch is used to make cellophane noodles.

Rootstock – actually a rhizome – can be eaten either raw or cooked. It is the source of canna starch which is used as a substitute for arrowroot. The starch is obtained by rasping the rhizome to a pulp, then washing and straining to get rid of the fibres. This starch is very digestible. The very young rhizomes can also be eaten cooked, they are sweet but fibrous. The rhizome can be very large, sometimes as long as a person’s forearm. In Peru the rhizomes are baked for up to 12 hours by which time they become a white, translucent, fibrous and somewhat mucilaginous mass with a sweetish taste.

We can learn more about Canna here: Eat The Weeds: Canna Confusion.

Here’s a paper showing that the starch grains of Canna are higher in amylose than potato starch.

From: Characterization of Starch from two Ecotypes of Andean Achira Roots (Canna edulis), by Cisneros (2009)

“Achira (C. edulis) roots (70 kg of each ecotype) were obtained in the year 2001 from the San Gaban and Sandia regions of Puno in southeastern Peru…

…The amylose contents of San Gaban and Sandia achira starches were 39 and 33%, respectively. These values are relatively high when compared to traditional sources of starch such as potato (27%) and corn (24%) (Table 2). These results confirm the high-amylose values reported for achira starch in previous studies (12).

…In summary, achira starch showed some unusual properties, such as very large granules and relatively high amylose content”

It’s not hard to see that RS2-rich staple foods were eaten raw by ancient Ethiopians and Peruvians. There are likely other examples, but I suppose it’s apparent that Grace won’t be looking for them.

~~~

Like I told you before, she ought not to have gotten herself all fucked up with me, then started harming people for spite. Richard hates that, especially the latter.

1. John on January 22, 2015 at 15:44

Grace reminds me of Rhonda Pattrick, another fake doctor. Both of them make broad pronouncements while providing very little and/or questionable evidence for their claims. Both of them appear to have a singular goal of ‘correcting’ their peers publicly and rely on scientific jargon to mystify and convince their audiences that they are the ultimate authorities in their respective fields. If you want a good laugh, listen to Grace’s latest interview on the bulletproof podcast. Dave saw right through her bullshit and asked her to back up and explain herself more clearly probably a dozen times. It’s sad to see so many people blindly follow their advice just because they have 2 letters before / 3 letters after their name.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2015 at 16:51

Here’s the thing, John.

She’s the one who made that “Dr. BG,” then “Dr. Grace” bed when she deemed having speaking opportunities at AHS was worth the risk of setting aside the anonymity and ambiguity.

Now she gets to get all cozy in it–which would otherwise be fine until I find that she’s been hurting people.

• gabkad on January 22, 2015 at 19:04

The bulletproof interview was awesome. All the adjusting of corrective eyewear, the squirming, the inaudibleness. Generally, if you have insomnia, put any ‘Dr’ Grace video on. You will be asleep after 20 seconds. Unless you insist on watching and then all the tics and personal adjustments will just annoy the shit out of you. Must be those finely tuned gut microbes expressing themselves.

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 14:38

The latest series of posts looks like some kind of a written (rather than a typical oral) Gish Gallop.

This technique is known to work on a public and kind of difficult to break. If you try to answer point by point the result is going to be too large.

2. Pedro Solmar on January 22, 2015 at 18:59

It’s been obvious for a long while that Dr. BG just has a beef with RPS, but now has to include all RS2 because it would be hard to single out a lone plant.

Want to hear an even funnier podcast? Listen to Restore the Flora #9, the only podcast Grace did not blog about on her site. http://restoretheflora.com/gut-guardian-podcast-episode-09-fiber-diversity-w-dr-tim-gerstmar/

Her long-time fake doktor friend Dr. Tim Gerstmar talks about his fiber blends and says lots of good things about RPS despite Gut Gawdesses obvious attempts to steer him away from mentioning potato starch. I warn you, it’s painful.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2015 at 19:30

Won’t comment on Gerstmar because I don’t know him at all.

I think I have to do another post to just finally put this to bed.

One of the things amongst the 7k of 140k words Grace wrote into the book was a pretty damn intuitive section of a chapter on how it may be that tiger nuts (high in raw RS2) are responsible for our Kleiberesque big brains and small guts, and not predator kill scavenging.

So, with a wry grin, I’ll give her credit for what I think is a brilliant guess, while shoving it up her ass for being a stupid cunt.

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 14:42

“it may be that tiger nuts (high in raw RS2) are responsible for our Kleiberesque big brains and small guts, and not predator kill scavenging.”

But is it good now to have a small gut? Small gut might be a great thing if you need to run or move a lot, especially long distances. Right now most of us rarely do this, most jobs are quite stationary, even blue-collar ones involve being operator of some kind of a machine.

• Josh on July 19, 2015 at 04:24

Did she mention whether they were cooked or raw? I have heard her recommend cooked tiger nuts, even recently.

3. Anand Srivastava on January 22, 2015 at 23:23

I have one question. Was the Starch test done on Ensete after fermentation process or before. Because fermentation process would reduce a lot of the starch.

I would think that the ensete would have some alcohol too :-). That is why they prefer it older, only catch is that only some would be able to afford to wait that long. So the culture regards it as a sign of wealth.

• gabkad on January 23, 2015 at 16:14

Andrew Zimmern in his series Bizzare Foods of….. (Travel Channel) had this stuff on one of the videos. Seems it’s buried and anaerobically fermented.

4. Jeff on January 23, 2015 at 09:00

I have been following Grace’s protocol for Steve Cooksey over at his Diabetes Warrior blog. My fasting BG’s have steadily fallen from an average of 140 to 122 in only a couple of weeks. In that time I have been eating just about everything including grains and some desserts. So I am very happy with her advice as a layman with no expertise .

I have included the protocol below.

The Protocol
    The links below are to Iherb.com. These were sent to me by Dr. Liu so I would know exactly what to order.

These are not affiliate links, feel free to shop around but I would suggest getting these same exact items. I did look and when comparing the best deals including shipping IHerb won. 🙂

For the fibers below, as Dr. Liu suggested starting at 1 tsp and moving up to one tablespoon. The maximum should only be one teaspoon for the first month and increasing to two teaspoons the second month.

Now Foods, Organic, Acacia Fiber, Powder, 12 oz (340 g)
    Now Foods, Organic, Inulin, 100% Pure Powder, 8 oz (227 g)
    Now Foods, 100% Certified Organic, Psyllium Husk Powder, 12 oz (340 g)
    For the Probiotic Life Extension, Bifido GI Balance, 60 Veggie Caps [take 2/daily or more]
    Here were the doctor’s instructions.

“Here are the products we discussed (in 2 cups water: take 1 tsp each, then titrate up gradually up to 1 TBS each in 2-3 wks)”
    Note: I encountered no blood sugar increase nor distress (unlike potato starch) so I moved up quickly to one tablespoon on day four. I never was good at following directions. 🙂

Another product she suggests is Now Foods, Glucomannan, 100% Pure Powder, 8 oz (227 g).
    However there is a different protocol for this product. ‘start initially 1/4 tsp with a maximum dose of 1/2 tsp daily in 2 cups water’.

5. Jeff on January 23, 2015 at 09:03

PS
    I tried RPS protocol and got negative results. Weight gain and very gassy and no BG lowering.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2015 at 09:36

Hi Jeff.

Now much and for how long?

As far as the gas, almost everyone gets that and for the vast majority, it goes away in time. I can do 8 TBS and not get so much as a toot, but in the beginning, I farted up storms even on 2 TBS. For some, it required the addition of the HSO probiotics I recommend (Prescript Assist, AOR, Primal Defense Ultra). They can do interesting things. My mom had diarrhea chronically for 4 months she just couldn’t shake, and PS wasn’t helping. One single dose of those probiotics fixed it.

Also, do note that it would be weird if people didn’t initially gain a few pounds of weight. Very weird. You’re feeding a colony of bacteria and when fed, they multiply, and quickly. Do note, however, it’s lean mass, not fat.

• Jeff on January 23, 2015 at 15:24

Richard,

I went through 8 bags of bobs potato starch. I was taking 4 tbls. per day.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2015 at 16:19

Cool.

I’ll discount you as an outlier, as 99% of what I get is positive.

In other words, don’t care, doesn’t bother me, your experience. Fine.

Grace is gonna love you.

• jamie finch on September 18, 2016 at 04:34

What a prick reply. No wonder you have the reputation you do: Insecure.

To say that 99% of people who try rs2 have good results is just self-deluded. Terry wahls, Grace, Kruse, Greenfield have all reported negative experiences.

• Richard Nikoley on September 18, 2016 at 07:51

Yawn.

What a coincidence. Those with a vested interest in anti-starch and resistant starch had a “negative experience.” It’s a very slippery slope from resistant starch to plain old starch, you know.

Interesting you mention Ben, though. Had dinner with him and Abel James a few months back and he mentioned nothing about it…though I did tease him about his super power bracelet.

Perhaps you should become less dumb. Listen to my recent podcast with Abel James, Fat Burning Man.

Finally, those who have damaged their guts over years of excessive LC dieting such that regular food now gives them problems, confirming their bias that they are special little flowers, are not the problem of the other 6.9 billion people on the planet who can somehow handle plain old real food.

• jamie finch on September 19, 2016 at 00:47

6.9 billion people who can handle plain old real food? Presumably, you have simply forgotten that a large proportion of those people are fat, sick and poorly developed… It is, in fact, you who should become less dumb.

Have you gained any weight since getting back on a “normal diet”?

• Richard Nikoley on September 19, 2016 at 06:54

The world population is about 7 and a half billion. I’d assumed you would understand I made allowance for the sick and just shut up. Nope.

• jamie finch on September 19, 2016 at 10:20

You think 10% of the world is ill? Open your eyes fatso.

• Richard Nikoley on September 19, 2016 at 10:43

Jamie:

You are being dishonest. The admission that not everyone in the world is healthy on normal foods was, of course, not meant to be literal. It certainly isn’t most people, not even close, and not even in America.

But you are a profoundly dishonest person, so I’m just trolling you to expose that.

• John Brisson on January 23, 2015 at 18:54

Your not alone Jeff I know of people on the BP forums and people who have contacted me that had issues with potato starch. Most had a dysfunctional MMC and / or a Klebsiella overgrowth which loves starches.

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 04:04

“Weight gain”.

40g/day of RPS at around 2,2 kcal/g is just 88 kcal/day.

Let’s count how much bodyfat you get for 100 kcal/day: a g of bodyfat store is worth 7,7 kcal. Pure fat is rated at 9, but the cell overhead lowers it. So 100 kcal is just around 13g of potential bodyfat.

Of course you can argue, that if your ogranism is not good at keeping steady-state (like having a leptin resistance or other metabolic disorder), then it can accumulate to like almost 5kg/year. If so, then what you can do is to lower your other food intake to compensate for this additional calories, like eating 10g of oil less per day.

• Jeff on January 24, 2015 at 10:07

I believe that through reading Taubes that we are not as simple as a calorie in calorie out machines. There is a complicated system going on that regulates calorie expenditure and I believe that we’ve fucked it up with man made synthesized foods and chemicals.

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 13:03

Most of the debates like low-carb vs. low-fat, or Taubes good calories vs. bad calories are about a completly different category: the dominant energy sources for your body which would be carbs + fat. Since we have uper protein intake limits like 30% of calories (In most diets it’s lower – like 15-20 percent in PHD.) , then it follows that carbs + fat should constitute 70% calories minimum, while on a typical diet even more.

So it is obvious that when talking about >=70% of the calories then any error made eating the food that constitutes such huge amount of calories is going to have a huge impact on weight. It just has to: the number of calories, as well as the total weight of food (carbs + fat) is so huge.

It is different when it comes to the debate about a small amount of matter, like 40g per day. There’s just not enough matter to cause an increase in fat stores.

Granted, there are substances that influence the organism more than their size shows, by changing the way other parts of the ogranism work, like things you are alergic to, or hormones or toxins. Potato starch is not a fat-soluble toxins, so the body doesn’t accumulate it in fat cells, as a way to protect itself. You may be alergic to it, but then your experiences wouldn’t translate to those people who are not. This basically leaves the hormones. Potato starch is not a hormone, but bacteria can make them. One example is FIAF:
      Anti-bacteria article:
      Pro-bacteria article:

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 13:26

From the other side – if “bacteria that made us human” is so good at fat loss, then why chimps have like 5% bodyfat as a norm, while for humans 10% is considered thin, and we have like a lot of 30-percenters who eat – you guessed it – cooked food, while raw food vegans tend to stay slim?

• Noel on January 25, 2015 at 02:57

I honestly think instead of looking at symptomatic issue, everyone needs to be concrete about whats in their gut using uBiome or similar. IMO, there are too many variables in the gut to support/criticize use of something.

That being said, just because of literature support of potato starch for Klebsiella, I am little scared to use.
      Offnote, DS has autism and with well known gut issues in autism, I try to take an extra safety step before using it for him.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 07:39

Oh, wow, people on the BP forum “contacted you.”

In the 130 some odd posts here on RS, you can read thousands of positive anecdotes from people in terms of both RS and HSO. These are people who post publicly.

I do remember one “Bulletproof” guy reporting that a SINGLE TEASPOON of PS “crushed him.” You gotta love the irony of all these folks going around claiming how bulletproof they are, as the list of things they can’t get near grows ever longer.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 08:05

Keep in mind that the kcal numbers for PS are in a cooked state, not raw. Raw, it’s essentially nil.

• Josh on July 19, 2015 at 04:50

As much as you love your success stories I reckon… You are disillusioned if you think that potato starch works for 99% of people. Surely you recognise that it’s mostly the people who get good results from a product who actually give feedback. The large swathes of people who have negative effects get frustrated, throw the RPS in the bin and move onto another blogger who recommends another quick fix.

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2015 at 06:08

Oh go bloviate someplace else. Tim and I did over 130 posts about RS and fielded 10,000 comments easy and there’s plenty of negative stories. There’s also plenty of negatives turned positive over time.

It’s all on record, across the board.

6. GTR on January 24, 2015 at 03:14

So right now it’s the whoever wins is right:

“Tigernut man was the last hominid that studies show consumed a high RS2 diet — and he expired 1.2 million years ago. The hunter-gatherers who learned to cook and use routine fire dominated the plains, steeps, and gallery forests during the hundreds of thousands of years that followed.”

This begs the question of firepower or health as a dominant force in evolution. One of the plausible possibilities is that what won – hunting – was not health but just as a side effect gave the best military power to the practicioners and thus allowed them to kill of more healthy but, less armed oponents. For a time hunters with their weapons dominated. First homo erectus with stone hand axes, then homo heidelbergensis with spears; then sapiens sapiens hunters with projectiles.

“Just last week Marean, a National Geographic grantee, co-authored a study suggesting that some 70,000 years ago modern humans developed a lasting technique for making stone-tipped projectiles—arrows as well as spears specifically designed to be thrown. These, he says, gave us an edge over Neanderthals.”

But the hunter domination and ability to win the wars and exterminate non-hunters come in many places come to an end when agriculturalists came, invented fortifications, body armor and shields, as well as metalwork. So according to the displacement-as-the criteria logic, at least in the Middle East and Mediterrenean the diet recommended by such logic would be eating wheat?

Notice this whole thing about long time ago is a nonsense. With time hominids gained multiple adaptations to eating new foods, without loosing old ones eg. we can still eat fruit despite diverging from bonobos millions of years ago.

AHS 2012 Dan Liberman:

There are also some signs that eating a lot of red meat as hunters do is not be the best for one’s health. Like this whole Neu5Gc case:

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 07:52

Yea, and I just got a new batch of raw, mixed nuts…

7. steve W on January 23, 2015 at 13:48

“Richard hates that,”

Third person – too much Woo for you

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2015 at 14:27

You’re absolutely right, Steve.

Even Richard needs a good spanking now & then. 🙂

8. gabkad on January 23, 2015 at 16:31

I don’t care if she calls herself Dr. although for a PharmD that should only be used in an academic setting. However, the big lie is she calls herself a pharmacologist which she most definitely is not. A pharmacologist has a PhD in Pharmacology. She doesn’t. But on the internetz anything goes.

And she is not a microbiologist, physiologist, or any other type of ‘ologist’. All this crap analysis is not within the scope of her ‘profession’. She shouldn’t be doing it because she can cause people harm. Her interpretations of information changes over time which just indicates that she is an amateur dabbling about and that’s fine if she’s doing it for herself privately. But she should not be advertising herself as being competent in this field. Her blog is an advertisement to this effect. Since she is not practicing as a pharmacist anywhere in the USA, the governing body of whatever state in which she is currently residing does not have any authority over her internet activities.

No doubt there are people who benefit from her recommendations. However, her belief that people can micromanage various desirable species of bacteria in the gut and that certain species are providing whatever benefits she claims is entirely not proven. This is what makes her dangerous.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2015 at 16:53

You know what I hate the most? This idea of “weeding.” I suppose you can if you’re a guy like Eddie, but I’d rather have a lead lunch.

You want to cure “SIBO” in 2 days? FAST.

This shit annoys me to no end. “What do I eat to kill certain bacteria?”

You eat nothing, fucktard. You starve them into little poor populations in need of an Obama bacteria to make everything and everyone just fine.

• John Brisson on January 23, 2015 at 18:52

Or you feed them lots of RS or FOS with a broken MMC and your SIBO gets a lot worse.

I got Klebsiella overgrowth in my small intestine. I am sure that since potato starch is a cure all and there are no issues with its consumption what so ever, I will get better right?

Why do I have SIBO still one month later? I was feeding the bacteria in my gut potato starch. Everyone else got better why can’t I?

Neither, regimen is perfect Richard. But the FODMAP diet has its uses. I have witness it myself and so have people that I have coached. Just as you have witnessed potato starch helping people.

• John on January 24, 2015 at 06:51

John’s answers to everything:

SIBO!
      Adrenal Fatigue!

Getting old, John. Looking forward to your upcoming ebook: “Fearmongering 101”

• John Brisson on January 24, 2015 at 08:41

Two very real conditions Health By Diet, but of course everyone does not have them.

Fearmongering 2015 is a better title.

• GTR on January 24, 2015 at 13:42

“You know what I hate the most? This idea of “weeding.” ”

So what do you think about the Marshall Protocol ? It includes taking antibiotics non-stop, avoiding vitamin D and sunlight.

• Harriet on January 24, 2015 at 18:40

Richard,
      This is a genuine enquiry. So if someone with gut issues starves their bad gut bacteria then they are also starving their good bacteria. How do we ensure that the bad ones don’t take the opportunity to crowd out the good ones once food is provided for them again? After antibiotics opportunistic bad bacteria can explode – I have friend who is coping with this at the moment. Or do we hope that with the additional SBOs (primal defence et al) will be sufficient to stop the explosion of bad ones? Has there been much in the way of feedback on n=1 experiments for this way of dealing with the problem?

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 07:32

I think it’s too individual, Hariet.

Most people have far more beneficial microbes than pathogens of opportunists. Fasting is sort of a war of attrition. In terms of SIBO, even Norm Robillard admitted to me that fasting was by far the most effective way of controlling it.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 08:15

I don’t think about the Marshall Potocal, at least not for some years when I lafed out loud over the unbridled deconstruction of the thing.

9. Sidney on January 23, 2015 at 22:17

I’m a medical student in 3rd year clinical rotations now. No PharmD would have the nerve to refer to himself or herself as “doctor” in the hospital. In the hospital, to be called “doctor” one needs to have “M.D” or “D.O.” after one’s name. This woman would be laughed out of the hospital for referring to herself as “doctor”.

• Josh on July 19, 2015 at 04:27

You posted this comment on bulletproof site too. I will repeat what somebody else told you: we are not in the hospital. The word “doctor” does not carry much weight here…

10. Qube on January 24, 2015 at 00:04

I’m new to all this, but my guess is why people stop taking potato starch and struggle to heal their gut is:

1) They don’t take it long enough.
    2) They don’t take it WITH the other stuff mentioned in this blog, like AOR, prescript, Saccharomyces boulardii and Kefir.

11. Tim Steele on January 25, 2015 at 10:22

I still have to laugh at all of this.

From the very, very beginning, I said (and everyone involved agreed) that a low carb diet with potato starch as your only fiber, was not the plan we wanted to develop. We all thought it was the worst plan, but if people wanted to try, they were more than welcome. I certainly never tried it. Richard did not, as far as I know, either.

That this is turning into a “RPS” vs “every other prebiotic” is all a manipulation by Grace.

I like RPS because it is cheap and easily measured, and I can make it at home if I want, easily, in a big dose, from very few potatoes. I want to see someone make a teaspoon of inulin, glucomannan, or GOS in their kitchen!

If Richard and I would have instead keyed-in on inulin or a different prebiotic, you can bet we’d be laughing at all the claims that inulin is not “ancestral” and “kills guts.”

People need to see this for what it is: a personality conflict.

Richard or I never developed a “bionic protocol” or claimed to be able to cure anybody of anything…that’s for the Liu’s and Brisson’s of the world. Everyone wants a guru…you don’t get that with me or Richard. All you get is info.

When we first started talking about this, we both had zero problem with taking it all back if it turned out that potato starch/probiotics/prebiotics were in anyway not safe or hurt people. There is exactly ONE person saying that potato starch is harmful (with a couple (p)sychophants joining in).

Even the commenter above (Jeff) who “took 4TBS a day for 4 month” and gained weight, got bloated, and saw no improvement in BG, later found other prebiotics and saw improvement. Was this potato starch on top of a VLC diet? My guess is yes….same as Steve Cooksey. PS+VLC was NEVER the plan..that’s all on you guys. It’s cool you tried, but don’t come crying to me that it didn’t work or ‘destroyed your gutzzz.’

Steve never complained. Why? Because he knew that what he was trying with PS+VLC had never before been done and he was on his own, out in front, as usual. He saw an opportunity and tried it, now he’s moving onto a mixture of fibers and seeing the results he hoped for. That was my plan from the start.

Dave Asprey tried PS and didn’t fall in love. He tried Hi-Maize and some others, too. It’s obvious he sees the value, yet can’t fit it into his VLC approach to dieting. I have yet to see him say it’s ‘dangerous’ or make any claims that Richard and I were misleading people in any way.

I’ll bet if Steve or Dave try adding lots of cooked and cooled starches and a little PS or other fibers, they’ll see similar results, as MANY of us did around here.

Anyway, this is all very laughable. I hope everyone sees that.

• Tom on January 25, 2015 at 12:19

Battle lines now drawn – similar to Ornish vs Atkins, but with 3 combatants. Just as unproductive.

• GTR on January 25, 2015 at 13:16

“I want to see someone make a teaspoon of inulin, glucomannan, or GOS in their kitchen!” – why even bother with making special inulin powders, and call it fancy names like bionic fiber, while this thing is plentiful in natural products like chicory or onions? Which by the way have little normal sugar, and can be eaten raw.

When it comes to RS3 – Do I remember correctly that on this blog some commenter has shown a link an too expansive RS3 supplement? That she claims doesn’t exist? This actually would make some sense, as you don’t have to eat a lot of digestible starch with RS3 then.

• Cathy on January 25, 2015 at 13:45

No Tom, no battle lines are drawn. That too is a manipulation by Grace. She’s loving all the attention. Like Tim said, he and Richard never would have had trouble taking it all back if it was crap — like admitting they were wrong about VLC being ‘the way’. That’s called experimenting and changing. I am glad Tim reiterated the bit about PS with VLC is not good. Really, the message is carbs by way of potatoes and beans are not the enemy!

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 14:15

“Just as unproductive”

Oh, there, we get to have someone come in and give an old, tired, “brilliant” bromide (with WAR! metaphors too!!!) because it’s the “mature” thing to say.

Jesus what a fucking bore.

• eric garcia on January 26, 2015 at 14:59

I actually dropped the potato starch after reading Drbg posts, even though i had no adverse effects while taking it. My plan is to reincorporate the potato starch along with other prebiotics after reading a post by a user named wilbur on here. How much rs3 should i aim for from cooked and cooled foods and how much rs2 from rps? Thank you in advance Tim and Richard, sorry for my english.

12. Tim Steele on January 25, 2015 at 14:02

@GTR – there are several RS3 isolations, made by repeatedly heating and cooling tapioca, corn, or potato starch. Sold as SuperStarch, PenfibeRS, and ActiStar. Only available for the food industry and used as fiber additives.

@Tom – Yeah, no battle lines. But I think I am going to start a new battle. Drinking battery acid destroys gut microbes!

@Cathy – Actually, it would make MORE sense if Richard and I also started to say PS was bad for you, then start selling more expensive fibers. I always loved PS because it is so cheap and can be had by making at home of just eating raw potatoes. I’m sure that fiber sellers love seeing PS get a bad name.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 14:22

“But I think I am going to start a new battle. Drinking battery acid destroys gut microbes!”

Reminded me of the email thing people used to forward around years ago with this whole big list of stuff that Coca Cola can dissolve. I used to love hitting reply all and writing:

“Wow, that’s really something. Imagine what stomach acid would do!”

• Cathy on January 25, 2015 at 14:28

Tim exactly! I love going the easy, cheap way to good health. Occam’s razor — the simplest explanation is the best/right one.

13. Daniel on January 28, 2015 at 02:16

I tried about everything between 1 teaspoon and 3 tablespoons a day of PS: 3 tablespoons is way to much for me. But 1 teaspoon works great! I take it now with other fibers and that works even better if i don’t take the teaspoon of PS my mind is not as clear as it is since i take PS. So for me a little bit does wonders!

Correct me if I’m wrong but Grace says that “those with a fucked up gut should be careful with PS and first introduce other fibers and later the PS when the gut is healed”

14. giskard on March 18, 2015 at 08:38

There may be something to adding inulin and others like Acacia to PS. Wife has Hashimoto’s antibodies so FMD ordered the Genova 2200 stool test (the one the Goddess likes). Wife had been taking 4 tbsp PS/day and eating a big green salad a day and some rice and potatoes for starch. Lo and behold, the test showed very high Bacteroides and low everything else (other obligate anaerobes, and lacto and bifido). Butyric Acid was high and pH low. All good except the low amounts of non-Bacteroides. So now we’re trying 2 tbsp PS and some inulin. Probably add acacia too. And maybe psyllium *seed* powder (as per Sisson), not psyllium *husk* as per Goddess.

• giskard on March 22, 2015 at 09:56

No comments on this datapoint?
      Stool test shows poor diversity of wife’s flora after months of PS supplementation and salads and rice most days.

• Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2015 at 12:17

This was really addressed early on in the RS thing and I’m sorry, but all the posts are there, the comments, and I just don’t have the time to address everything numerous times.

Whether RS helps or doesn’t seems to be a function of the resident species and proportions. For some, there may be enough good ones there to make a beneficial impact with just RS (or probiotics in general), but if you don’t have the right good critters or enough of them, they aren’t there and RS doesn’t magically create them.

See the posts on probiotics.

• giskard on March 23, 2015 at 10:18

In her case the Genova 2200 listed a bunch of commensals and they were there, but in low proportions:

Clostridia, Prevotalla, Fusobacteria, Streptomyces, Mycoplasma, Lactobacillus, Bifidobacter, E Coli. All present but low. Bacteroides, OTOH, were high.

This suggests that her diet of near-daily salads + moderate rice + PS feeds Bacteroides but not the others listed above. Kinda supporting what Gut Goddess said. I’ve started the wife on Inulin, Prescript Assist, and Primal Defense.

I will review what you wrote previously about probiotics.

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2015 at 11:54

“What is your comment on GG’s comment that Bacteroides’ are “bottom feeders”? She didn’t expound on that.”

That she’s never had salt water aquariums or reef tanks (I’ve had many) and is thus talking out her ass, using an analogy that sounds bad but is in fact critical to any healthy ecosystem.

15. giskard on March 18, 2015 at 08:56

Here’s my PS story:

I’ve never been obese and today I’m lean (4-pack) with good insulin sensitivity (low fasting insulin). But these days I have poor starch sensitivity (BG spikes too much if I eat more than 3-4 oz starch in a meal). In 2013 I discovered it with a “sweet potato blood sugar challenge test” a la Kresser. So I went low starch. A1c improved from 5.7 to 5.1. Then I read about PS from Freetheanimal. I immediately started in Dec 2013. In January I repeated the potato test. I was *ecstatic* that my post-meal BG peak after an 8 oz sweet potato was 130 and <90 at 90 minutes!!! (It also lowered FBG from the 90s to the 80s) Holy cow! So I transitioned to PHD with 6-8 oz of white rice or potato per meal. But my ecstasy was short-lived. Some random post-meal BG tests 3 months later showed that my starch intolerance was back despite continuous PS supplementation (FBG also went back to the 90s). With chagrin I dialed back my starch intake per meal to keep BG spikes <140. Try as I might by looking for whatever else I changed (e.g. supplements, sleep, stress), I couldn't get my temporary incredible starch tolerance back. The only BG effect that remains is lower BG 90 minutes after meals. Maybe my gut flora was in a transient state in the weeks following starting PS, and the final species mix doesn't give me that wonderful starch tolerance. A recent post mixed-meal insulin and C-peptide test confirmed my post-meal insulin output is a bit less than half of a healthy person – a weak "first phase" insulin response. I hope it's due to the Incretin system and the gut flora's influence on it. (And thus fixable), rather than late-onset diabetes type 1 beta-cell-killing antibodies.
    So now I'm gonna try the Inulin and Acacia supps added to the 2 tbsp PS (which Goddess notwithstanding, I like because of sleep quality). That she mentions her Inulin and Acacia "bionic combo 2" (without psyllium) "burns fat" may be a clue that it improves the Incretin system.

BTW I am curious why Steve Cooksey (diabetes warrior) has not explained why he stopped PS, and has not updated us with his "bionic" experiment since January.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 08:59

I read this sort of thing and am shocked to realize that billions of people lived happy lives before blood glucose monitors and regular A1C labs.

I’m moving on, let chips fall.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 09:16

OK, this comment needed a post.

No offense, giskard, but this sort of thing just isn’t going to be my deal moving forward.

I tossed my meter.

• John on March 18, 2015 at 13:28

Yeah, I recently tried adding inulin and acacia. By recently I mean the past week. The result? 5 lb weight gain and a 1.5% gain in body fat. Going back to my green banana flour pronto.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 13:49

“The result? 5 lb weight gain and a 1.5% gain in body fat. ”

Wow, those bugs are active.

Be worried, very worried. Oh, I guess you have that completely handled.

• giskard on March 18, 2015 at 14:08

It’s one thing to spike to 145 from a starchy meal (you), it’s another to spike to 170 from a 6 oz potato (me). I recently ate a very starchy late dinner, and I woke up with BG=117. Clearly something needs to be fixed. I’d rather be able to enjoy rice and potatoes again.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 14:12

And if you weren’t obsessed, and went the way of your (assumed) long lived ancestors, what did you REALLY feel?

Did you feel that BG spike? Or are you just pretending, for audience?

I’m moving beyond that stupid shit, but you’re welcome to commiserate and engage in fellowship.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 15:31

“I recently ate a very starchy late dinner.”

Yea, when I was a kid, we didn’t know any better. Luckily, I lived, still skin and bones when I left home at 18. doGs must have been watching out for me.

It would be 25 years before I even knew what a glucose meter was, yet I went on to live in a couple of countries, visit 30 others, come back and start a company, employ 30 people, and so on.

All I knew was that sometimes, dinner makes me tired. So I did a weird thing. I went to bed.

Look, if you think you’re diabetic, just go do that.

Otherwise, it looks to me like you have a typically LC atrophied metabolism, and you’re trying to do 300 lb deadlifts when you’ve RIGHTEOUSLY set your self up to do deep knee bends with 25 LB Dumbbells, minding everybody else’s business because your back hurts when you do the real stuff.

Laf.

LCers are laf. Self perpetuating laf, who self perpetuate their self perpetuation, like they were born unique.

• Span_Carvan on March 18, 2015 at 22:25

You ate a starchy late dinner and you’re surprised your morning BG was 117? What else are you not telling us about your diet and lifestyle habits?

First, low fasting insulin doesn’t always tell you you have great insulin sensitivity; T2 diabetics graduate to low fasting insulin and if you’re in ketosis, you’ll have low FI, whether diabetic or not. Second, FBG is not always a great indicator of BG homeostasis, especially in diabetics and prediabetics or people with a yen for wolfing down late night suppers. Why don’t you compare your A1c rather than focus on your FBG. If you think your BG control is slipping, why don’t you post your supposed OGTT with insulin/c-peptide and BG readings at intervals; perhaps that will explain the mystery. The worst case scenario is that you’re an undiagnosed T2 diabetic, suggested possibly by your impaired 1st phase insulin response, or on the way to diabetes due to other reasons (e.g., dysregulated cortisol courtesy of VLCing long-term). The best and the more probable scenario is that you’re misprocessing information not taking into account noise and the randomness of data. The hunch is for the latter, not the former. And it’s doubtful that starch consumption is killing off your beta cells and sending you to diabeteshood. Unless you’re an undiagnosed diabetic.

• giskard on March 20, 2015 at 08:08

See below. 🙂

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 22, 2015 at 20:40

giskard,

is “3-4 oz starch in a meal” for you
      net weight? or volume? cooked?

i checked my bag of rice:

1/4 C (raw) rice (2 oz in volume) = 46 g (~ 1.5 oz in weight) => 33 g C ~> almost 1C cooked

most healthy people should be able to handle 33g C in a meal (w/ protein & fat). unless you’re diabetic?

• Gemma on March 23, 2015 at 07:52

@Span_Carvan

VLCing long-term doesn’t seem like like a very good idea, sure…

Are you suggesting that for some people even short term dietary experiments of this kind can lead one to diabetes, via various ways? And/or doesn’t “cure” it as hoped and wished by many?

Looking at Peter Attia now – he stopped his ketogenic experimenting, and uses Berberine, I wonder why?

• Span_Carvan on April 3, 2015 at 19:28

Gemma, if you’ve been SADDing and in the midst of developing autoimmunity, the stress of ketoing could accelerate the disease state and result in full blown symptoms and antibodies. Or, more commonly, you could see overt signs of hormonal and immune dysfunctions resulting directly from VLCing. The classic example is Jimmy and his obvious cortisol problem. He’s been led to believe that has nothing to do with his diet.

16. giskard on March 19, 2015 at 13:52

Interesting input Span_Carvan

Firstly the recent starchy late dinner was a 1-time experiment. I was shocked at the FBG=117 because I had *never* seen it >99.

“Low fasting insulin with low FBG does not necessarily mean no insulin resistance.” I doubt I go into ketosis. My pre-meal BGs these days are in the 80s despite having 3-4 oz starch in the previous meal. And I tend to eat a lot of protein too. I also kinda know what it feels like to go ketogenic while VLC, and I rarely get that feeling.

I had an uncle who died of diabetes complications.
    23andMe testing shows I have the following 2 diabetes-related SNPs: 7903146 (CT) and 7901695 (CT)

I was never was a long-term VLC’er. I only went VLC for a few months back in 2005 to drop 20 lbs of blubber, as part of curing my OGTT-diagnosed reactive hypoglycemia. After that I ate maybe 50-150g carbs a day from 2005-2013 but had early dinners and quit eating snacks (but included grains). This did fix my reactive hypoglycemia – I no longer shook before meals nor got sleepy after meals, nor got hungry <4 hours after meals.

I only went LC (with safe starches) again in 2013 for several weeks when I discovered my BG was spiking after meals. 8-oz potato "OGTT" got me to 180 @ 1hr. A1c was 5.8. In 2005 an actual 75g glucose OGTT at a lab before I first went VLC got me to 90 @ 1hr and 50 @ 2 hrs. From 2005-2013 I thought I had no issues with post meal sugars. So in 2013 after going LC for several weeks I increased my starch intake so my post meal sugars are 120-140. This meant 4-5 oz of starch. After this my A1c dropped to 5.1~5.3.

I have a lot of data-points in the past 2 years. I used up maybe 300 strips (mostly Abbott, which are more accurate than most).

My recent 1 hour post mixed-meal test showed:
    BG=170
    Insulin = 22
    C-peptide = 3.7
    This is suggestive of an OK 2nd phase but weak 1st phase.

Recent 75g glucose OGTT was:
    start: 81
    30min: 178
    40 min: 204
    50 min: 207
    60 min: 217
    70 min: 194
    80 min: 173
    90 min: 148
    1h:45m: 120
    2 hr: 100

I have had the 4x saliva panel. Cortisol had the normal shape but overall the test showed some effects of stress. I've since learned to meditate to address that.

Remember than in Jan 2014 after 6 weeks of first starting Bob's PS, an 8 oz potato spiked me to only 135 at 40 minutes, 120 @ 1hr. I thought it was the cure for my starch intolerance. But that only lasted 2-3 months, even though I never stopped the PS.

My question is, how do I get back my incredible starch tolerance during the first month of PS supplementation? I have nearly a dozen post meal tests.. The rare pizza lunch? 120. Light dinner with dessert? 90. Chinese dinner with sweet sauces and no rice? 78.

I want that back.

17. giskard on March 19, 2015 at 13:54

P.S. 4x saliva cortisol / hormone test was in 2013 and was part of troubleshooting poor starch tolerance.

18. giskard on March 19, 2015 at 13:59

P.P.S. Richard I don’t know why you assume I’m an LC’er.

P.P.P.S. “how do you feel after blood sugar spikes” about the same as my wife, which means “fine”, despite the fact that 2 of her tests confirm leaky gut and Hashimoto’s antibodies. She is fit, lean, energetic, and no, does not LC. Did you see what I posted above about her poor Genova 2200 gut flora test results despite 4 tbsp PS daily?

19. giskard on March 19, 2015 at 14:03

P.P.P.P.S. It’s funny how I get assumed to be an LC’er here, while on another forum I was presenting Jaminet’s minimum starch arguments to a “humans don’t need carbs” Gedgaudas acolyte, and even mentioned the Inuit-were-not-ketogenic evidence Richard presented.

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 15:32

Ok, fine. Of course, even a “moderate” LC can be too little for some, it’s all individual. Mainly, I’m getting kinda resistant to all the testing when people otherwise feel fine.

20. giskard on March 19, 2015 at 22:29

Jaminet presented evidence that healthy people don’t spike sugar above 130 or so no matter how many carbs they consume. There is also a strong correlation between low blood sugar and longevity. There’s also clear evidence that a large percentage of people who regularly spike their sugars above 140 or more, later on develop raised FBG and yet later on, diabetes, and only then, stop feeling “fine”.

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 22:54

First of all, those are associations, not individual causes. Second, home monitoring of BG has only been around for a blink of time. The vast majority of people who have ever lived, never had BG measured once in their lives.

Everybody gets to do what they want. I’m eating real food most of the time, not too much, and not sweating it.

• giskard on March 20, 2015 at 08:07

And that’s probably fine for most folks. Some of us are cursed with the diabetic SNPs, and need to watch it.

• giskard on March 20, 2015 at 08:12

Oh and Denise Minger’s book mentions a study that shows that post-starchy-meal BG spikes are much higher for folks with few copies of the AMY1 gene than those with many. This suggests a wide range of individual starch tolerance. Too bad 23andMe don’t seem to count them. In the meantime IMO learning your personal limits with a BG meter and mostly sticking to it will prevent breaking your metabolism. And I reckon exceeding it repeatedly will break your metabolism just as surely as VLC will.

But again, like I said earlier, I want to learn how to get back that outstanding albeit transitory starch tolerance I had in the first months of PS supplementation.

• Richard Nikoley on March 20, 2015 at 08:19

“This suggests a wide range of individual starch tolerance.”

Yep, it’s just like porn.

21. giskard on March 20, 2015 at 08:16

• Richard Nikoley on March 20, 2015 at 08:29

“P.S. Chinese people on the average have more copies of the AMY1 gene than Europeans. Looks like 10,000 years of heavy rice eating was enough to weed out diabetics? I’m half Asian and I probably didn’t get ’em LOL.”

Another possibility, since you don’t know I assume, is that you have them, but your metabolism is rather atrophied from too long of too little starch.

One analogy I like to use—and I’m not tagging you as VLC, as you said—is that for years I’ve seen low to moderate carb dieters complain they can’t tolerate any carbs, because if they have them, they get spikes near 200 or above.

Consider a couch potato. One day, the elevator is broken in his NYC high rise apartment, so he has to take the stairs. Before long, his heart is racing like mad. He measures, and he’s way in the danger range. His conclusion: he doesn’t have enough copies of the human exertion gene, and therefor can’t tolerate any exercise at all, lest he become a Type II exerbetic.

• giskard on March 20, 2015 at 16:04

I don’t know why you won’t get “you are LC” out of your head. I guess when you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. From 2005 (still with robust OGTT results) to 2013, before I went paleo, I ate a full-size lunch-truck burrito most days at work. The fucking thing was the size of a small pillow and stuffed with rice and beans. And for most dinners rice was a staple.

It was in 2013 after that long streak of pillow burritos that I discovered high post-meal sugar spikes. Of course the reason I thought my starch tolerance took a dump was because I was always taxing my beta cells with those giant burritos. Apparently folks who have reactive hypoglycemia often go to the opposite – poor starch tolerance. I then went LC (not VLC) paleo for 4 months to keep BG spikes < 140. I lost 12 lbs, and A1c improved.

After that 4 month LC period, in Dec 2013, I discovered your PS writeups and immediately started supplementing. What happened next falsifies your "you atrophied due to LC" hypothesis. In Jan 2014 after just a few weeks of PS supplementation I had spectacular post meal sugars. But that only lasted ~2 months.

Dude you harp on and on about being open minded but here you are ignoring data that falsifies the "you went LC too long" hypothesis. It was you that ended my 4-month LC (not VLC) streak in 2013. Think Karl Popper's Critical Rationalism. Your overall hypothesis is probably correct but needs refinement, to, in your own words, become less wrong over time. I think long-term VLC is bad, LC without enough prebiotics is bad, but exceeding your individual starch tolerance regularly is also bad. The dose makes the poison, remember? Too much water can kill you, and so can too much starch.

• Richard Nikoley on March 20, 2015 at 18:29

I already qualified the comment, I.e., it’s written in the general. Obviously, I don’t know you. Perhaps you ought to stop and consider that I write posts and comment replies to cut the widest swath possible, since I don’t know anyone personally.

At the same time,Mathis is now years I’ve had to contend with commenters looking for a diagnosis based on a few paragraphs. Then, when they don’t like guesses, I get shit on, all along with them adding additional info (like truck sized burritos over years) just to let me know how stupid I am for not being omniscient.

• giskard on March 22, 2015 at 12:36

Um, I posted my experience because I specifically wanted to discuss the fact that beginning PS supplementation “cured” my poor starch tolerance… temporarily for the first 2 months. The only 2 hypotheses I could come up with are:
      1) Gut flora was in a state of flux for 2 months after beginning PS, which was great for starch tolerance, and settled in a new state that wasn’t.
      2) It was totally something else that cured me temporarily, and nothing to do with PS.

Maybe some people must supplement with other prebiotics as well. I suspect this is true.

And, I want to know if other readers have had similar experiences – remission of (any) issues for only a few months after starting PS.

• Span_Carvan on March 22, 2015 at 16:49

giskard, you have diabetes. There’re people like you who never got tested properly and are walking around thinking they turned back from prediabetes just in time. You crossed the barrier, which is a point of no return. In people who limit their carbs, A1c and FBG will be normal; the OGTT will ultimately tell the story. As for your other details, you’re misprocessing lots of information, as is typical when bouncing around online forums and trying to interpret different and conflicting cues.

• giskard on March 23, 2015 at 10:21

Any thoughts on:

– how a person goes from reactive hypoglycemia on an OGTT (robust insulin response), to a poor OGTT in 8 years
      — in the absence of soda, fruit juice, and eating mountains of pasta and bread

– why in the midst of poor OGTT, for 2 months after starting PS, I had excellent starch tolerance?

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2015 at 07:49

Some sheathed posted this as a 1st comment, so it went to moderation. I’ll quote it, but I won’t approve it as a comment from an anonymous sheathed because that’s asking for fucktard problems going forward. It would be like someone knocking at your door, you open, he says “let me in, asshole,” and you do. Anyway:

“Giskard:

“I really admire your posts and persistence in this thread.

“Richard isn’t giving you answers because he has none, and your questions are highlighting problems in the resistant starch research he tried to make money with.

“Richard has chosen to throw away his testing meter. We know people can be thin and still develop type II diabetes. He’s taking the risk he won’t later develop diabetes related complications from high blood sugar. I wonder if he’ll share if/when that happens, especially if he gets cancer.

“I don’t doubt its healthier to eat carbs – provided your body can tolerate it. But for many that is no longer a choice. Leading everyone to believe this is not a problem is dangerous advice. Are there problems with not eating a lot of carbs? Sure! Its a no-win situation. So lets face up to it and do the best we can.

“I’d do the best you can while monitoring your blood sugar and keeping it in a stable range. I’m sure with testing you can find out how much carbs your body can tolerate.

“And, I’d avoid looking for magic cures. Good luck.”

Oh bla bla bla fucking bla. I’m not his fucking doctor, don’t know him, have zero idea what his problem is. Rather than “give him answers,” I don’t. Spanish Caravan did. Is that accurate? Don’t know for sure either.

Here’s an anecdote from another thread, just posted the other day:

“Yep!

“I can say I ate up the ketogenic bullshit for years and gained weight and still stuck to stuffing my face with coconut milk, butter, and heavy cream and acting like the calories were going to magically disappear “because ketosis.”

“My bottles of the three probiotics you recommend are running dry, I’ve been through about 7 bags of potato starch, I’ve been back to eating lots of rice, potatoes, fruit, and veggies for a while now and I’m quickly on my way to being in the best shape of my life. Last July I was 220lbs, now I’m 190 and much stronger.

“It takes very little thought now to know if I’m eating right, I eat about a pound of starch, a pound of meat, and have a shake with berries, a frozen banana, green ORAC, 4 egg yolks, a scoop of pure grassfed whey from truenutrition (highly recommended) for 30g of protein, some whole milk, and 4 tbs of potato starch. Super filling and easy, and full of nutrients.

“I feel fucking amazing and I look great. Thanks.”

~~~

Go fuck yourself, “Giskardfan,” you worthless pile of stinky shit, and don’t knock on my door again.

22. Steve on May 21, 2016 at 14:54

I like the potato starch, green banana/plantain flour. Acacia and Inulin make my gut feel terrible. A scoop of jarrow fos is pretty good though. Swanson chicory and Now agave Inulin do terrible things to me