Overlooked: Fasting For Gut Microbiome Health

Just a kind of quick one here Sunday morning. Haven’t been that motivated to blog lately and plus, I’m all excited about finally doing this auto transformation I previously blogged about: Zombie Apocalypse X5.

Screen Shot 2015 01 25 at 9 04 42 AM

So, to the left is what it looked like when I dropped it off with Tommy at California Wheels yesterday (then footed it the 7 miles home). It’s getting a 2″ lift and similar steel wheels and tires…along with wheel adapters/spacers to bring them out about 1.5″. In all, wheel/tire “height” goes from 27″ – 31″. Later, I’ll do a wrap, probably either matte black, or olive drab green—kinda like this.

…Anyway, last week I kinda got to feeling just a bit “overloaded” digestion wise. Just kind of a general bla. Y’know, with all this talk of the gut biome we do, all the starch and fibers supplementally, the probiotics…it’s always in the context of ‘what foods, sups, etc. do I eat or avoid in order to…’ when one option is: nothing at all.

It’s called fasting, or intermittent fasting (“IF”). I used to blog about it quite a bit going way back but got out of the habit of doing it, as well as blogging about it. That changed last week when, spur of the moment, I just ended up not eating from about noon on Tuesday to late afternoon Wednesday—about 28 hours water only. It was remarkably easy. The cool thing? Have felt really good since in all the right areas: great sleep, digestion, TMI. Plus, just a really nice feeling stomach wise, like an enormous calm.

It got me to thinking. I’m really tired of all the bla bla about SIBO (99.9% self diagnosed—oh, I burped, or got a little bout of heartburn: I’ve got SIBO!). Or, perhaps you’ve got bullshit in your brain is what you’ve got.

First of all, you’re always going to have gut bugs in your small intestine. Second of all, if you eat chronically; that is, never give your gastrointestinal tract a break ever for more than a few hours, then the bugs in your small intestine are likely going to multiply and begin causing bouts of problems.

And sure, you can go down endless rabbit holes trying to “weed,” eradicate certain things, go on weird ass diets with an ever growing lists of things you can’t eat. But have you tried a different approach, a natural cleansing one? You don’t eat green smoothies to “cleanse.” You eat nothing for a day or two, and let those trillions of critters engage in a little survival of the fittest. Or, think of it as a war of attrition where even though all men present get starved, if you’re more or less normal, you’d expect the bad guys to have their populations reduced to nothing before the more numerous good guys bit the dust entirely.

Or, perhaps you have good guys that are on the verge of being too numerous. Ought to fix that as well, for a better overall “core” microbiome.

OK, gotta run. You can connect dots from here.

1. David on January 25, 2015 at 14:44

Similar results here; did my first 24hr fast just yesterday 9p-9p. 2 cups of water.

Previous unintentional fasts were a bit more unstable mentally and I suspect all the gut lovin I’ve been doing the past month has helped keep the blood sugar->mental performance calm and consistently level for this fast.

Lack of hunger pangs, though, was the real surprise. I thought for sure I’d be distracted by those annoying thoughts while doing my all day research sesh. Nope, I was in the zone all the way through. Usually coffee is needed to pull this off.

2. Doug on January 26, 2015 at 06:30

I ran across this PBS documentary on fasting…I thought it was interesting

3. John on January 25, 2015 at 15:36

In John Brisson’s next book, “Fearmongering for Fun and Profit”, he will provide indisputable proof that everyone in the world has SIBO, adrenal fatigue, and a bit of sepsis on the side!

• John Brisson on January 25, 2015 at 21:04

That is going to be the name for my third book. My second book will be Fix Your Mitochondria.

Richard I do agree with some of the points you made in this blog. Fasting helps to improve the MMC which most of the time is dysfunctional when one has SIBO. Fixing the MMC in some cases can help push the excess bacteria back into the large intestine. Sometimes correcting the MMC does not completely fix the problem if ones bacterial load is too great in the small intestine. A proper functioning MMC is to keep one from getting SIBO, not the fix for it.

You are also correct about the small intestine having some bacteria, but compared to the large intestine the load is very small.

Competition is also important. Competition and a working MMC will keep most people from developing digestive disorders.

I do disagree with you saying to not avoid anything if you are having digestive issues and you inference that SIBO is a made up disease.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 21:22

John, I get that you want to suck up to me, but really, I’ve never ever been into you (in fact, have never read your bog once, because I couldn’t give a runny SIBO shit about anything you “think” about anything).

Seriously, dude, you’re getting creepy.

There are street corners for this sort of obsession.

Go away to your own corner, please. You aren’t making friends here; you have a lifetime card of zero possibility of reconciliation or redemption, and I especially hate it when fucktards grace me by telling my I have a bone right. Thanks for the bone.

Now go fuck off. Forever, please.

• John Brisson on January 25, 2015 at 22:23

You have read my blog once because I comment from you on one of my blogs.

Cannot scrub my page from the Internet.

Being creepy would be going to other people’s blogs like have you done and write about Grace. Also, making face accounts and posting on other people’s blogs disparaging her and God knows who else. Too bad you didn’t do the best job in the world masking your IP address.

You do not want to tell your readers about that do you. Instead, you call me a creepy for reading and commenting on your blog just because I have a relevant point of view that challenges yours?

Also, for reference http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2014/12/what-happens-in-hashimotos-thyroiditis.html.

You “harass” (what you accuse me of the doing) other people as well. Not saying that I agree with Woo, but the proof is in the pudding so they say.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2015 at 22:28

Oh jeez, you got me. I commented on a blog as I do every now & then, especially if they link to me.

Did you link to me?

Doesn’t matter.

I’m asking you to Fuck off and to have an ice day.

4. Gassman on January 25, 2015 at 17:44

I did a 24 hour fast yesterday too. It was unintentional as I wasn’t hungry when I woke up and I got on with the business of the day. Didn’t even think about food until I had some slight hunger pangs about 4 pm. Then at about 7pm I did a nice grilled salmon with veggies on a bed of leftover rice, and a salad. I usually feed big the day after a fast, so I ate pretty good today. I plan to keep it light for the next couple of days with moderate breakfasts and light lunches and suppers. Might fast again next Sat or Sun.

5. Wilbur on January 25, 2015 at 18:42

I think this is exactly right, Richard. I’ve gone on and on about doing huge amounts of fiber, but IF is a part of my regime too. Not eating is an option. Not hitting the fibers is an option. Like you, I sometimes get the feeling that enough is enough.

I never really thought about it until I logged my eating for a week or so, and noticed there were about 5 meals I skipped. Routine fasts of 8 hours, 18 hours, and one of about 20 hours. I haven’t gone longer, but there’s no reason for me to think that I couldn’t.

I’d have to do some digging, but I think Jeff Leach mentioned this sort of thing among the Hazda. Some days, the hunter-gatherer lifestyle doesn’t produce predictable eating times, unlike what we have with refrigerators and fast food. Sometimes meals are skipped out of necessity, but that is likely a good form of IF.

My belief is that my gut bugs guide me in what I should eat. I believe that they strongly suggest IF for me. I’ve even noticed that I feel like fasting in anticipation of a feast. I love Mexican food, for instance, and I fasted for 18 hours prior to pigging out on it for lunch. Dinner was an inexplicable 1/2 pint of blackberries with a Tbsp of raw honey.

I had hypoglycemia before this, and going 4 hours without food would have been torture. Feelings of starvation, loss of energy, maniacal cravings for food, mood swings, etc. I believe that humans who have normal or excess stores of fat should not experience these things. For a body that is nutritionally starved – perhaps because the gut is starved because of the lack of fermentable carbs – the story is different. I feel a little sad when I see someone desperately needing food even though they have ample stores of on-board energy (fat) and have snacked throughout the day.

• Wilbur on January 25, 2015 at 18:47

Sigh, autocorrect. Regiment, not regime.

6. aelephant on January 25, 2015 at 20:25

“Or, perhaps you’ve got bullshit in your brain is what you’ve got.”

Classic Richard. Don’t always agree with everything you post, but love the flourishes anyway.

7. John on January 26, 2015 at 08:08

I’m curious how you’ll like the ride and handling characteristics with the modified X-5, given your description of how much you like it factory, and the legendary engineering put in BMW suspensions.

SIBO seems like a exercise in neuroticism.

• Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2015 at 09:20

John, should be fine for me.

No stranger to tough rides. I’ve had a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, back when they were serious 4-wheel with solid axles fore & aft. One of them I did a 3″ lift on, big tires. I also had an H2 MONSTER shortly after they came out and I just had to own one.

• John on January 26, 2015 at 10:28

I had an H2 as well, loved that thing (2003) – put 140k miles on it in 4 years. Imagine the gas usage! I had to replace the transmission at 30k and 60k, so when things didn’t seem 100% at 140k I sold it.

Went to Infiniti G37, fun, missed the SUV. Now my Black 4 door Wrangler has a 3.5″ lift, 35’s on black 17″ wheels, steel bumper with winch, and I’ve never had so many people compliment me on a car in my life. I feel better going off-road with a Jeep than a 70k H2.

• Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2015 at 20:33

My wife’s ride in an Infiniti FX 35, 20″ rims. That thing is super fun to drive. Infiniti does damn good work.

• John on January 27, 2015 at 08:25

FX is my girlfriend’s dream car.

In fact, the G37 was the catalyst to our relationship. She tried talking to me a few times but assumed I wasn’t interested (I’m pretty stupid with girlinterestedinyou queues). When I was talking cars with a friend one day she overheard and said “I love Infiniti! – can I drive yours and take you for ice cream after?” Pretty damn forward! How could I say no?

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2015 at 08:51

“How could I say no?”

Exactly right. Sometimes you just have to step up and take one for team dude.

8. Michele on January 26, 2015 at 08:48

I was debating on where to put this post because it’s has questions and ones that could belong in the newbies section. However, I’ve been at this resistant starch thing almost exactly a year so, I’ll write a little about where I am with it and then ask the question hoping that the good folks out there i.e. Gabkad, Duck Dodgers, Tatertot, Wilbur…there’s so many anyway, might give their 2 cents. I appreciate you all and the kindness and curiosity with which most people react.

I’m going to try and just give the facts and don’t want to sound judgemental in any way so keep that in mind. Since I started I gaind about 4 Kilos. It’s certainly fat (my clothes don’t fit) but I’ve never been really strict and just quit fertility treaments that really F”§$” with your hormones (a horrible experience). The husband is French and food’s part of culture so that doesn’t really help. Also did Chinese Medicine and autonomic response testing taking stuff like Czaga and chlorella. On average, I just tried adding starches (cooked and cooled, just cooked…rice, potatoes, no beans). I also got all the different SBO’s …tried ’em with and without PS – awhile without PS after I read some of Grace’s blog (I am not judging…I was just curious) Lately, I’ve been suffering from heartburn. DuckDodgers was kind enough to give me the ACV tip. I tried that and it worked somewhat but lately it’s been back, especially eating potatoes. So, I have reverted back to the SBOs downing them with PS and the heartburn has subsided but I am bloated and tooting like crazy. It’s uncomfortable. TMIs are textbook. Am trying not to weigh myself and go by clothing. What is my goal? I think at this point I want to stop the weight gain but especially the bloating and tooting. Maybe it’s time to try other prebiotics???

On the thyroid note – what’s crazy is that since doing this whole experiment I have noticed that I need to supplement with less and less replacement thyroid hormone since I had my thyroid removed.

• Richard Nikoley on January 26, 2015 at 09:25

Hi Michelle:

I try a 24 hour fast 1 day each week for a few. But remember not to chronically overeat.

I terms of the weight gain, it’s so very individual, as lots of people have lost modest amounts, or not changed at all. I’d try a mixed fiber blend like Wilbur, see what happens.

• Wilbur on January 26, 2015 at 20:07

I’ve been doing what I am doing a little over a year now. I feel like I’m finally figuring some things out. But maybe just for my body, since I can’t live in anyone else’s body.

I read your post as saying that you are taking PS and SBOs but nothing else. Maybe I misread… You are suffering heartburn, bloat, and gas.

To me, these are signs of imbalance. Heartburn I don’t know about,because I don’t get it. I eat a half bulb of garlic and half an onion with super hot hot sauce, and I feel it but it does not do anything to my tissues. It’s hard to explain, but it is not by any means uncomfortable.

But the bloat and gas I have felt. But it seems to be when I have the mixture wrong. As I am learning, I am finding that, for me, gas and bloat seem to be caused by fast fermentation – excess amounts of short-chain stuff – relative to long or delayed fermentation. The PS is fast fermenting, like candy for the gut bugs. Some forms of inulin are that way too.

When I experiment, I find that adding some fibers, without reducing the others, reduce gas and bloat. GOS was that way for me. More recently, long-chain inulin did it, but has seemingly reduced transit time. Bathroom times have changed.

There are studies showing that some fibers, like partially hydrolyzed guar gum, resistant dextrin, and resistant maltodextrin, have beneficial effects without intestinal discomfort. My experience is similar.

I think determining your goals are important. I think for Richard and Tim, an important goal was glucose control. For me, fixing my lipid issues was the primary goal. I have recently been doing research on how to fix my child’s hypoglycemia, and I have honed in on a fiber mix that ought to help. Different fibers do different things. I don’t know the mix for weight control, but whatever I did helped me without my trying.

I guess what I am saying is experiment and push, push, push. But experiment with educated guesses by researching. We are on the boundaries of medicine and there is precious little knowledge!

• Michele on January 27, 2015 at 05:47

Thanks very much for your input Richard. There has been a lot going on so it wouldn’t be right to say “I gained weight because of PS!!!” It’s probably more of tweaking things as you mentioned – different fiber sources, fasting (I eat between 12:00 and 9:00 pm) excercise. I also noticed that after the SBOs downed with PS in H2O my rosacea flares up so there something going on . I take back what I said – my goal is to sort out my gut first and I think the first results will be seen in my skin. I’ve had phases with the right thyroid hormone and SBOs where my skin was great. I’ll try different stuff out and report back. THANKS again.

• Michele on January 27, 2015 at 05:48

Hi Wilbur,…thank you also for your input…you are right…experiment, experiment, experiment. I have narrowed my goal (as you can see in my reply to Richard) to stabilizing my gut and I think after that the rest should fall into place. Thanks for reminding me to continue being curious!

• Derrol on January 27, 2015 at 09:36

Hey Wilbur, would love to chat with you offline about this. I have been at it for about three months with the intent of trying to fix my lipids and other cholesterol stuff (mostly particle size, less worried about the numbers) due to family history. Still figuring things out and a lot of what gets posted is over my head (though I am slowly figuring things out). Won’t be retesting until late spring so would like to see what results you have seen, etc. Don’t necessarily want to bore the whole group, just interested in what you have done, seen, felt and found. Thanks.

• Wilbur on January 27, 2015 at 15:05

@Derrol

I have seen very positive signs on this, but I am reluctant to declare success until I have more data. Unfortunately the data come 6 months apart.

Like you, neither i nor my doc is worried about the cholesterol number, but instead particle size. My cholesterol was basically unchanged. But the bad stuff went way down (on the order of 50-80%, depending) andd the good stuff way up (the one I recall is protective HDL, which tripled). I will be getting new numbers soon, and I hope it holds.

My blood pressure has been rock solid great off meds. I was on BP meds before.

I don’t mean to turn down going offline, but I’ve found that many seem interested in how fibers seem to prove specific benefits.

Here is a great introduction, IMHO

The list of fibers is very short. But in the cholesterol-lipid case, water-soluble fibers seem very good. Beta-glucans, psyllium, pectin, and guar gum.

Check out amla. Do a pubmed search. Richard has a post on it.

Others like resistant starch and inulin seem to have little effect on lipids. But they have other benefits.

Good luck!

• SusieQ on January 27, 2015 at 19:13

Thank you for linking the chart. For pectin, it says:

“Slows the passage of food through the intestinal GI tract, helps lower blood cholesterol.”

Are those separate two results or does slowing the passage of food result in lower cholesterol…does anybody know? I am not sure of what value there is in slowing the passage, unless to increase nutrient absorption, maybe?

• Wilbur on January 28, 2015 at 06:24

I’ll let others connect transit time to cholesterol as I do not know.

When I first read WebMD’s statement, I thought it was odd. At least this suggests the opposite to be true

• Gemma on January 28, 2015 at 07:46

@Michele

There is a lot of factors you mention (hormones, thyroid, etc.) that might influence the outcomes of your dietary experimentation. So just a couple of points for now:

Have you tried to move your “eating window” towards the morning, that is have breakfast and lunch, and skip dinner? It might help in inducing weight loss.
      Next, perhaps you could tried eating more mushrooms, it is a great source of dietary fiber.
      And, do you eat fermented foods? It could be your microbiome is very efficient in extracting and/or storing energy, and fermented vegetables are a good way to introduce new bacteria, new genes.

• Michele on January 30, 2015 at 00:53

@Gemma, So here’s what I’ve done – 2 days ago, was alone in the evening so did sports, took some SBOs with PS and just went to bed thus give me a fast between 17:00 and 10:30 the next day. Also mixed a couple Tbsp ACV in H2O in the morning….since then not heartburn. Last night cooked up some mushrooms and onions – much much tooting thereafter. All-in-all – I reduced the potatoes, reduced the potato starch, and upped the greens. Clothes are fitting just a smidgen better. Oh, and I do eat Kimchi from time-to-time as well as Kefir (althoug it is “§!”§ pasturized argghhh).

You are absolutely right – there was a lot of S*** going on hormonally. Now I’m just trying to recover. Thanks very much for your input Gemma!

• Gemma on January 30, 2015 at 06:38

@Michele

Actually I meant eating bigger breakfast and (almost) skipping the dinner,
      see here.

I am not quite sure if intermittent fasting is helpful in your condition.

Re fermented foods: what about eating them more often than only “from time-to-time”. Daily, for instance? It is so easy to prepare your own.

• Wilbur on January 31, 2015 at 19:19

@Derrol and anyone else interested.

Ok, I’ve gotten my latest lipid panel, and I’m ready to claim success. Lipids were my original motivation for doing what I am doing. I too have a family history of cholesterol problems, blood pressure problems, and heart disease. My parents did their best to adhere to the usual recommendations of low-fat and DASH diets, but lost. I tried too, but it was not working. Miserable.

Since “doing a Wilbur” (a useful term for brevity, but built on ideas from Jeff Leach, Tim Steele, and Richard, among others), I have had maximal enjoyment of food. I love what I eat. It is opposed to the usual recommendations. I eat pure animal fat. I avoid grains. Not out of dogma, but out of what I want to eat.

Since my last physical (16 months): Total HDL +102%. HDL2 +264%. Total LDL -24%. Total VLDL -63%. Other bad LDLs down 60-80%. Triglycerides down 68%. LDL/HDL down to 0.99 from 2.65. T/HDL down to .69 from 4.

BP off meds is 115/70, rock solid. Bodyfat is 17%, but truthfully is a few percentage points high because of the holidays, bad weather, and school cancellations. It will be lower when the weather improves. My abs were clearer before.

I am ecstatic. I have hopes that my future will be different from my parents.

• SusieQ on February 1, 2015 at 05:52

That’s great news…good for you Wilbur. Researching and experimenting on your own, rather than just relying on the standard protocol of conventional medicine, is so wise…good for you (I know, repeating myself).

9. Bret on January 26, 2015 at 16:45

Glad someone else agrees. Many commenters on this subject seem to know a ton of information about different conditions, different bugs, etc. While the obviously large amount of research they’ve done is impressive, I can’t help but suspect many of these folks are getting big time into diminishing returns.

As you’ve mentioned often, Richard, we should probably spend more time thinking about what we don’t know than what we do. If we go nuts with supplements with our currently pea-sized understanding of the gut bug grand scheme, I think we’re likely to cause more harm than good.

Prehistoric HGs ate only real food and went without food every so often. They also didn’t shield themselves from nature or exercise the way most modern westerners do. I think that’s about as complicated of a starting point as we need to consider.

10. SusieQ on January 26, 2015 at 17:31

ACV tip for heartburn? please share…thanks

• Michele on January 27, 2015 at 06:06

Hi SusieQ….Here’s what Duck Dodgers had to say back then about the ACV:

Duck Dodgers says:
      October 27, 2014 at 09:18
      I may be messing this explanation up, but alternative practitioners say that heartburn is often caused by either H. Pylori or Candida reducing acidity in the gut, which in turn causes undigested food to build up pressure in the stomach and weaken the upper sphincter—sending stomach acid and undigested food up into the esophagus. (My apologies if I got that wrong).

I don’t think we know enough to say what the cause/effect really is there with potatoes (could be feeding pathogens or feeding friendlies to cause a herx for all we know), since there are lots of things that can happen with those players.

Usually I reach for some Apple Cider Vinegar when I suspect imbalances in the upper-gut, as it seems to reduce inflammation and normalize acidity. There’s something special about it that gets everything in line.

• SusieQ on January 27, 2015 at 18:56

thanks!

11. leo delaplante on January 26, 2015 at 18:22

I’ve been doing this ADF ( alternate day fasting) . Dr Varady has done studies on this for some time now and an easy google search will bring her up.It involves eating to your liking one day and eating 600 cals the next day,It is very maintainable as you don’t count calories one day and the 600 calories the next day are easy to track .I have been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost 4 lbs .I eat my 600 cals at 5 oclock on fast days but if i get hungry at noon i take 3 glucomannan capsules which takes the hunger pangs away till dinner.

12. SusieQ on January 27, 2015 at 02:19

The greatness of Varady’s approach lies in its simplicity lies in its simplicity, backed by her own research.

I’ve used it to shed some lbs. without any issues.

By the way, I noticed Michael Mosley mentioned a few posts back….Varady claims he lifted some of her information without permission and/or attribution, FWIW….

13. Fred on May 16, 2015 at 07:55

Any thoughts on doing a 7-day or even 30-day fast? I have a pretty fuckered gut.

• Richard Nikoley on May 16, 2015 at 08:10

Why not play it by ear? Try 2 days first, see if you get some improvement, but break the fast with lots of FODMAP.

Take it from there. Rather than decide some strict regimine, let your well being be your guide.

• Fred on May 16, 2015 at 11:32

Just curious, what is the reasoning for breaking it with a lot of FODMAP vs. prebiotics that aren’t FODMAP vs. non-prebiotics w/ lots of probiotics?

I’m really worried b/c I don’t tolerate any FODMAPs right now and that breaking it with FODMAP could ruin the progress of the 2-day fast.

• Richard Nikoley on May 16, 2015 at 12:18

I was just jerkin’ your chain, Fred. Break it with whatever you like, but hopefully with some gut food. Of course, the ultimate goal ought to be getting where you can handle that stuff.

• Fred on May 16, 2015 at 12:23

Okay haha, and yes I agree, there’s few things I want more than to sit down to a big old plate of broccoli, onions, and sweet potato.

14. Fred on May 17, 2015 at 18:16

Hey Sir Nikoley,

So I did a 36-hour-fast, which was broken because I couldn’t sleep from 12 AM – 5 AM and got up to eat some blueberries. (I didn’t wanna go to the fridge earlier bc the light would mess with my circadian rhythm)

I felt pretty fkin awful, especially towards the end of the 36 hours – feverish, sweating, thirsty af, and my mouthe just tasted horrible. I read about these symptoms but wasn’t expecting them the first day – I’m thinking it means I need to fast really badly, bc there’s a lot of bad shit to get rid of? Have you experienced this with fasting, especially when your health was worse than it is now?

• Richard Nikoley on May 17, 2015 at 19:41

Fred, I get that all the time from people taking up fasting for the first time.

You didn’t mention heartburn. Yea, a fast can induce violent acid production that bubbles up into your esophagus. Proton pumps throwing a temper tantrum.

What’s funny to me is how people take new-ground signals so seriously. Of course your body hates it. It doesn’t care about you. A cell’s life is short and like the rest of us, it just wants to get drunk, smoke, and fuck cheap whores.

• Fred on May 18, 2015 at 05:54

Haha good analogy, so will that happen when I fast regardless of my health? Or was it more pronounced bc my health isn’t good?

• Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2015 at 08:28

Everyone is different, except that we all should be able to tolerate periods of starvation. If you can’t, it’s a signal that you’re broken, and should probably just push through it.