Things I Grew Weary Of in 2014

I was really at a loss over what to blog about, New Year wise. Perhaps part of it is I’ve just never cared a wit about NY eve parties. I’ve probably slept through more ring ins than I’ve celebrated. So whilst driving to Whole Foods earlier today, listening to NPR, it hit me: 2014 was a year of getting really tired of lots of shit. In no particular order and probably not exhaustive:

~ I got completely tired of dietary dogma of every sort. “Paleoish” has been pretty decent as a framework, but has become largely meaningless to me with its endless array of products—many of them junk food, basically—in packages that are now “paleo.” Part of that is a weariness over static thinking when what people ought to be doing is embracing understanding in the context of real foods with a view toward getting better and better. For example, the idea that beans and lentils should be taboo, but here, “”I’ve got ‘paleo’ muffins, brownies and cookies,” is ridiculous. Going forward, it’s just real food in a context of mindful preparation and eating, without guilt or gluttony.

~ I got tired of all the narcissism inherent in social media, especially my own. When the first thing you often think about when doing anything is sharing it on Facebook, it’s time to dump Facebook. Zero regrets. No return. Twitter serves most as an RSS alternative and a chance to put stuff out that doesn’t call for a blog. Not a problem.

~ I got tired of caring about material things. In the last half of the year, where I bounced between an apartment in San Jose, a cabin in the mountains, and a trailer elsewhere in the mountains, I realized how very little I needed materially to be perfectly happy. No, happier, actually. Now I feel as though I have tons of stuff to get rid of.

~ I got ever so tired of the whole gay agenda, from top to bottom. It’s like every time I turn on the TV or radio anymore, it’s one more LGBT thing or another in some way or another, as though it’s a perfectly “normal” thing. But it’s not. It’s a fringe thing, like a foot fetish, always will be. That’s fine, what they do is none of my business, but that’s kinda the point. I’m tired of an agenda that seems intent on making their business my business. I don’t care and frankly, am tired of hearing about it.

~ I’m so tired of all versions of “support the troops” BS and I laf my head off every time someone talks about “the troops” in the context of “fighting” for our “freedoms.”

Hopefully, 2015 will bring another handful of things to get over.

1. Tom Murin on January 1, 2015 at 18:10

We have a common experience of having been USN SWO’s. One of takeaways from having been on sea duty for 4 years is that you don’t need too much space and stuff to be content. My stateroom on a FFG (shared with one other officer) was smaller than the bathroom of most houses. But, we never complained since we had it a lot better than the enlisted men ( many times when I was pushed to overflow berthing as an ensign or jg when an inspection team was onboard).

• Richard Nikoley on January 1, 2015 at 19:17

Tom

My favorite day at sea was the first day. That’s the day when you get away from everyone trying to help you. Perhaps I ought expand that to include all the things you think you need.

Where did you cruise, and when?

• Tom Murin on January 1, 2015 at 20:27

OCS grad in July 85. After pipeline training (SWOS doc in Newport and ASW school in Norfolk) served as ASWO on USS Oliver Hazard Perry (FFG-7) for first divo tour. Then I went to USS Aquila (PHM-4) as Combat Systems Officer for 2nd divo tour. Left active duty in Aug 1990. Perry was out of Philadelphia and assigned to the reserves. No deployments – got a sea service ribbon for a Great Lakes Cruise. Other than the Great Lakes, we did east coast and anti-drug ops in the Caribbean. Aquila was in Key West. Caribbean ops. Lots of anti drug LEO ops. Port visit to Venezuela, Honduras and a lot of islands. Drank plenty of rum. Spent too much time in Gitmo….While I would do it again – I felt cheated by not having any real deployments. Did the reserves for 3 years, but gave it up after Clinton came into office.

I have a history degree and much of what you write is over my head. I lost a bunch of weight on low carb (30 now, but was 45 about 6 months ago) and follow some blogs and there was a link to yours. You would have been an interesting guy to have in the wardroom or to stand a mid-watch with!

2. Cunty on January 2, 2015 at 00:55

In 2014 I got weary of waiting for your fucking book to get published Richard! Fuck you 🙂

• doGnuts on January 2, 2015 at 14:51

Book. Please. Now. Richard. If not, I’ll stop buying my Amazon stuff via your site 🙂 .

3. Ron on January 2, 2015 at 04:34

Cunty, you sound like,well,a cunt

4. Onlooker on January 2, 2015 at 07:54

I’d say that’s a damned fine list; on all points.

I have found the paleo construct to be very interesting and useful (being very late to this nutrition game), but have also been wary (and weary) of the dogmatism that can be inherent, as well as all the faux paleo nonsense surrounding it. Marketing of the latest, greatest is inevitable though, eh?

And I’m a retired USAF pilot living in a very modest house in rural MO who can’t stand the hero worship that goes on regarding the military. It always did make me uneasy when applied to every single person serving (patently absurd), but in my (relatively) recently enlightened state I’ve also seen just how absurd the “fighting for our freedoms” line (and similar) really is.

• George on January 2, 2015 at 09:12

I agree totally with the list and I also totally agree that the punch line” fighting for our freedom” is totally misplaced because whose freedom, if any, is it we are fighting for? My take is that we fight for someone elses wealth and interests. That God the military and police is waking up just we are here about the “diet mafia” and also the “gay mafia” even though we don’t fight that last one, we just want to choke on it when they shove it down our throats.
      HAPPY NEW FOOD YEAR!

• Bret on January 2, 2015 at 10:46

The excessive adoration of the military by the public looks to me like a “bubble” of sentiment, much like a stock market bubble. Folks are throwing down lots and lots of praise without really understanding the reality of the job, which is considerably less than they think it is. One day the bubble will pop. I am reminded of the 1970s, where it was culturally popular & politically correct to thank/praise cops excessively. McDonald’s used to serve police free meals (my mother told me about it; I was not alive then). Pretty funny when you consider that today cops are the recipients of nanny-cam-shame by a public angry over their unconstitutional inclinations (yeah, yeah, they’re “just doing their jobs”…aren’t we all). Meanwhile, back in the 70s, military troops fresh off the plane from Vietnam would dart into the nearest restroom and change into civies, to avoid being spit at. My, how the tables have turned. And they’ll turn again.

Onlooker, I am in your shoes, albeit not retired. I work with my share of whiney little shits with a big entitlement complex (most of them officers, some that outrank me), who are definitely allowing all of this hollow, unjustified praise to go to their heads, and who lack any real understanding or appreciation of just how privileged and sheltered their situation is compared to most others — with the tax free pay, the 100% free sick care, the ability to “make money” when moving, excessive $100/day per diems when traveling, blah blah blah.

Oh, and the right wing imperialist groupthink. Get all excited to go to war. Get bitter when it starts to suck and become obviously unwinnable, but don’t blame the douchebags primarily responsible for initiating it and making ridiculously stupid strategic decisions. I think most of these fellows would vote George W. Bush in for a third term if they could.

People are such fucking assholes.

• George on January 2, 2015 at 11:49

Amen to that!

5. gabkad on January 2, 2015 at 10:38

I think the more talk about LGBT the more stupid shit is being propagated: like 8 year old kids on hormone therapy to suppress their normal development because they ‘know’ they are actually girls or boys and not boys or girls. Or whatever the fuck.

Too much corn in the diet or what?

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 10:51

“Eventually I suppose gender reassignment will become so commonplace, the next batch of 8 year olds will have to figure out some other way to be ‘different’.”

It’s very important to collectively highlight our “individuality.” Just another non-conformity bandwagon.

6. Bret on January 2, 2015 at 11:14

My military rant got so long I decided to make a separate comment for this other topic.

I can really appreciate the revulsion to “dietary dogma” — which is a perfectly accurate description. My level of respect for so many dietary guru bloggers/podcasters has tumbled down a cliff after they have hidden from, denied, or waved away significant evidence contradicting their much touted tenets. Funnily, that’s exactly the behavior these very people criticized the low-fat establishment for. It sickens me to think of how I used to hang on their every word, reading their blogs religiously. Looks like I was duped by the dogma big time and have no one to blame but myself.

Well, lesson learned. Enough of that crap. Evolution made our bodies, so an evolution-based approach with whole foods makes sense enough. Beyond that, I am going to use primarily my own intuition and my own body’s feedback. Any new information will be received, but taken with a great big grain of salt and subject to lots and lots of skepticism. There’s just too much potential for repugnant self-fellating arrogance otherwise.

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 11:20

Q: Why do diet gurus self-fellate?

A: Because they can.

7. Steven on January 2, 2015 at 11:33

Personally I am really sick and tired of any sort of self aggrandizing.

Grammy’s
    Emmy’s
    Nobel Prize
    Oscars
    All awards ceremonies. All. Of. Them.

All they do is promote some silly religious like fervor. A nexus of chattel.

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 11:36

Good addition. In general, I’m tired off all sorts of “competitions” that involve judges and/or voting.

A COMPETITION is where individuals or groups got head to head under a fixed set of rules. End of story.

• Steven on January 2, 2015 at 11:44

Ah yes… The ever so non-impartial judges…

It is now weekly where we have a new award. New competition. New group seeking acceptance.

I like your take on competition and judging. So true.

8. Lilana on January 2, 2015 at 12:49

I, too, am inherently suspicious of people who willingly sign up to possibly kill other people for dubious reasons…and I find it really hard to “support the troops” even when not actually “supporting the war”, as some people like to excuse their soldier worship. It’s all total hypocrisy and sheepy flag-waving.

As for the whole gay thing, I love that they’re no longer marginalized, yay, but we really don’t need the 24/7 news cycle for it anymore. You’re gay–we know–it’s fine. I’m also suspicious of its being promoted so heavily as the new norm, though–is it mere deliberately-engineered population control propaganda to promote not-necessarily-reproductive couplings? I feel like if the natural population suddenly has too much legit homosexuality emerging, it’s either nature forcing a population correction, or it’s something in the food supply and those in charge know it and are paving the way for the way things will be from now on…

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 14:33

“You’re gay–we know–it’s fine.”

Yea, after I posted that I was watching Chopped on TFN and in two successive shows, one guy felt compelled to explicitly mention he was gay, twice (DUH!) and then a woman felt it necessary to drop the hint three times.

• Tom Murin on January 2, 2015 at 17:41

I enjoy watching Chopped too, but I hate it when the competitor gives some kind of hardship story of being gay/lesbian, reformed drug addict/alcoholic, single mom or other fill- in-the- blank. The show should be about the food – not your “struggle” or whatever demons you faced to get there. Spare me. I like a good human interest story, and I like to hear about people that made it against the odds. I’d just rather they didn’t get extra credit for a sob story that encourages embellishment and vicitimhood.

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 20:41

Tom, my distinction is I like all that in the backstory.

The judges ought know nothing of that, nor should they ask. Otherwise, they betray what it means to be a judge, rendering them less than what they ought be in their charge for that show.

• Bret on January 3, 2015 at 03:59

Tom, I would extrapolate your sentiments to life in general. And not just gays, but any kind of minority or disadvantage.

Everybody has to overcome adverse circumstances at some point in life. Wearing it on their sleeve signals to me, “I’m a self-centered little bitch who thinks the world owes me something.”

It’s childishness, pure and simple. But our sensitive culture encourages and reinforces it.

• Tom Murin on January 3, 2015 at 05:47

Bret, the problem is when they are rewarded for it. Let someone carry a chip on their shoulder as a motivating factor. Heck, you can even whine (not that I want to hear it). But no extra credit to push them ahead of another….It is very ironic that Hillary’s gender got trumped by Obama’s race in 2008.

• Bret on January 3, 2015 at 06:35

Oh, I’m all for unrestricted whining, and I agree it is the enabling that’s the problem.

Not sure I am following you on the irony of gender vs skin color in 2008. Both are exploitable minority positions. You could say Obama’s (half) skin color just turned out to be more exploitable by activating excited new black voters in droves, but I think he also duped a lot of people with his “I’m different, I’ll bring change” rhetoric, irrespective of his minority status. Though it of course turned out to be total bullshit or totally forgotten (doesn’t matter which), Hillary failed to match that element of the campaign. She ran as an established insider, rather than a visionary/revolutionary.

• Tom Murin on January 3, 2015 at 07:49

Just that Obama was further over on the spectrum (rainbow?). Male/woman, white/color, hispanic/black, straight/gay, lesbian/trans-gender…..They keep finding a more disadvantaged (alleged or claimed at least) group or subgroup. I don’t care for identity politics.

9. Rudy on January 2, 2015 at 13:19

Narcissism. Spend just one day without using the words “I, me, my, mine, myself, etc.” If someone asks ‘How are you?’, politely and briefly respond and then redirect the conversation to them or something neutral.

• Bret on January 2, 2015 at 13:30

That’s a great one, Rudy. I am going to try that one out. Hopefully I’ll last at least a day.

• Jesrad on January 3, 2015 at 06:39

I tend to not answer at all but plain immediately ask back “how are you ?” – and so far, no-one has ever noticed. But they certainly seem like they feel I’m interested in knowing about them.

10. Tallulah Wolf-Angel on January 2, 2015 at 18:07

“Going forward, it’s just real food in a context of mindful preparation and eating, without guilt or gluttony.”

What a great New Year’s resolution. Powerful and attainable. Thank you, Richard!

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2015 at 20:44

Thanks, Tallulah. Wolf. And Anglel.

Excuse me. I have an episode of Vapire Diaries and The Origianls to watch. 🙂

11. Jesrad on January 3, 2015 at 06:33

Hear hear bro.

I’ve tried making a formal synthesis (complete with pubmed references) of everything I know about nutrition for a new website and the task has proven so overwhelming I’ve just stalled and escaped into other topics.

My youngest brother came out as an ultrafeminist transgender lesbian back in october and I’ve been swimming in cultural marxism ever since. Yuck.

I’ve grown tired of the toxic env at work and resolved I want to spend less time earning money and more time enjoying life and rising my son, now I’m looking at dropping the mortgage ratwheel race for a TinyHouse.

Bullshit makes the flowers grow, but man it IS tiring after a while.

• George on January 3, 2015 at 08:54

What is if that makes people fucked up like that? Food? School? Politics? Chemtrails? Vaccines? It seems to be getting worse very day and it seems totally normal and accepted when boys start growing breasts, girls have penises and God knows what. Are we all living in a chem lab and used as lab rats? Tiny house, grow your own food seems like a damn good idea for the new year.

12. Glenda on January 3, 2015 at 09:05

Thanks for your list, Richard. I found you & your blog via your book, which has pretty much saved me, not an overstatement. I’ve been “paleo/primal” for a year & a half now, found it looking for gut- & weight-problem solutions, have improved a bit but struggled a bit more primarily because of paleo-ish-advice: telling someone whose appetite-meter is broken–me–that “you can eat all you want” translates to “you can eat all day long yippee!”, and observing the plethora of “paleo-treats” posts & recipe books translates to my “having several every day is just fine”. I’ve read just about every-paleo-one’s advice on intermittent fasting, but I interpreted that as “it’s a great thing to do and you really should try it if & when you can but don’t worry too much about it”.

You explanation in your book of how & why eating like our ancestors is essential made everything crystal clear to me. I read your book a month ago, I have easily dropped weight I needed to get rid of, and if my gut could kiss you I’m sure it would. For the first time in decades my gut regularly (three or four days out of the week) gets a minimum of 12 hours between meals (I haven’t made it up to 24+ hours, but I most certainly will within the next month) and surprise surprise my gut is now functioning normally & regularly. Inside my flat tummy feels SO good all the time, and so of course does the rest of my body & mind now–I don’t have a memory of when it ever did before, how sad (SAD diet)!

So, I empathize and appreciate your post, and most especially your book. Thanks so very, very much!

• Richard Nikoley on January 14, 2015 at 07:48

Glenda:

Somehow I missed acknowledging your comment.

Very glad for you, and so glad the book helped. Today, I’d write it a bit different in terms of carbs and gut health, but most of the core principles are there.

Thanks again.

13. Harriet on January 3, 2015 at 18:17

I got tired of:
    People living memes rather than their lives. I let go of the descriptor of being a feminist now it no longer means liberation for all but whingy, lefty self righteousness. My sister unfriended me on Facebook and my daughter really can’t understand it at all. I also decided largely not to engage with people living their memes as they are vexatious to the soul.

There is enough real life stuff out there from life and death (friend with terminal cancer in hospital) to every day loneliness after another friend lost her spouse. When going through hell, don’t stop. Speed through the negativity as fast as possible and focus on what we can do day by day to improve out quality of life. Sitting in the sun with a friend and a wonderful cup/glass of whatever takes your fancy has a lot going for it.

14. DS19 on January 20, 2015 at 18:36

What I get tired of:
    1: Being reminded that someone is American, followed immediately by which faction of politics they ascribe to. Guess what: Roughly 5.5 Billion people do not give a shit what Obama is up to. I understand most bloggers are American, but Jesus H Christ, yanks are worse than vegans.

2: The Big “vs”: Also a very American thing, or at least much less prominent in other countries. Gay vs Straight, Democrat vs republican, Conservative vs Liberal. Is it the divisive media? Is it lack of positive self perception? Why do we have to have a little pigeonhole for everybody?

Hating: Ask anybody what they think about something and they tell you what they hate, not what they love. As above, people seem to identify themselves by what they are against.