Mom Cooked Me Rouladen For Birthday

I don’t know how many times since I was a kid. Very many, and it’s my favorite dish my mom makes. I was too anxious to eat Saturday night to take pics, so this was Superbowl dinner, leftovers for Bea & I (still up here in the cabin). I like to reheat covered, in the oven at 200 for about an hour.

IMG 2918
With mashed potatoes and red cabbage

Red cabbage is basically German sweet & sour.

The other sour bit in the dish is the gherkin pickle in the middle.

IMG 2920

Here’s a bit of history and development of the dish.

1. TJtheGrouch on February 2, 2015 at 12:20

Congratulations! I love the darn things myself. One of the best batches was made for me by my grandmother in 1964. When I tried to give her my very best compliment “these are a good as my mother’s” Oma looked at me sternly and dryly stated:”Where do you think for mother learned to make these!” Enjoy, Richard!

• Richard Nikoley on February 2, 2015 at 12:57

Quite, TJ.

Oma (dad’s mom) left us nearly 15 years ago, now, but that’s where my mom got it way way back. And her’s are way better than my dad’s sister’s.

2. Richard Nikoley on February 2, 2015 at 14:11

I think fasting every day is way too chronic. Perhaps stress increases LDL

• newbie on February 2, 2015 at 14:16

I tend to agree – something to do either with cortisol (stress) or chronic elevation of free fatty acids – who knows, but women should be aware.
      Of note is that I was not trying nor did I lose any weight, so there was no caloric deficit.

3. cunty on February 3, 2015 at 01:45

That rouladen looks fucking fantastic! Brings back memories of my grandfather’s cooking.

4. EF on February 3, 2015 at 07:04

Nice. My grandparents emigrated from Germany to Queens NYC in 1932, when the shit was hitting the fan in Germany. Oma made rouladen frequently. My Dad’s favorite meal by far. It was always served with potato dumplings (with a buttered crouton in the middle) and red cabbage. She never did the pickle thing but that seems to be the norm.

5. Patricia on February 3, 2015 at 09:20

My mother’s mother was from just outside Munich. She died before I was born, but not before teaching Mom how to make sauerbraten and rouladen, which we had regularly growing up.

6. gabkad on February 3, 2015 at 19:00

Red cabbage thing is Bionic. I made it this week-end….. olive oil, purple onions, caraway seeds, shredded red cabbage, finely chopped prunes, a few dried sour cherries (because they were there), then add salt, lemon juice, vinegar……………… This morning it took about 3 milliseconds to deliver several Bristol Stool Scale 4 into the toidy. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as a really good crap in the morning. TMI? achh.

I’m doing cabbage this week and bigass salads. Next is sauteed onion in bacon fat, caraway seeds, shredded green cabbage topped with crunchy bacon bits.

My German is showing…..oooops.

• cunty on February 4, 2015 at 03:53

Bristol stool 4 hey Gab? Nice work. Raw cabbage does wonders for me too. I have some nearly every day.

• EF on February 4, 2015 at 08:42

+1 on the morning deuce.

• gabkad on February 4, 2015 at 18:09

Raw stuff doesn’t cut it. I think the digestive tract and the good little buggers can’t make a party out it. The steamed vegetables are great rocket fuel.