What Does Everyone Want? An Excellent Future…Duh

– Young people take it for granted, as a birthright.

– Middle-adged people contemplate the fact that shitting on that birthright with impunity—while taking it for granted—comes with repercussions, costs, and in some cases, long term effects that will remain too long term to be correctible. One moves on.

– Old folks are retired and resigned. It’s a good thing; because, then you get to laf at AARP, which is just too fun—the hubristic levels of over-the-top entitlement. It’s fortunate. It makes it easy to hope they all die and give the Earth a break soon. After all, the chief cause of global warming is all the hot wind being expelled by old fucks all the time over what a raw deal they have. Fuck ’em, and nobody ought care about old folks.

…It’s hilarious to me. “Ethicists” wax on about euthanasia, as though people already can’t wait for most of them to depart on their own demerits. It’s not a huge ethical dilemma. To be an ethical dilemma, lots of people have to care a lot and the cool thing about old fucks is that only close family do.

Thanks. I don’t care and really never want to hear about it even, even while being polite (lying). Keep your unique specialness to your own special self. It’s too special not to. To you.

…America is the first country on Earth to make the scorning of old people a wonderful thing.

I’m sure it’s an error. The American Dream has no downsides ever.

1. Skyler Tanner on February 12, 2015 at 04:59

Well Richard you know how I feel about this. Long before my mother died, I always felt that what I was doing was most valuable to the most wise amongst my client base: those 70 years and older.

You might like this when it’s actually finished, given your love of landscape (at least it seems that way; you have a way of describing particular places that makes it seem like you’re paying far more attention than most). Watch the trailer:

• Richard Nikoley on February 12, 2015 at 06:43

Cool trailer.

I’ll bet one secret to longevity is not worrying too much about accumulating lots of stuff you don’t need, nor having an enormous pension funded at the expense of young working people raising families.

• Skyler Tanner on February 12, 2015 at 08:06

But Richard what if you like your back being broken by baby boomers? 😉

• Richard Nikoley on February 12, 2015 at 08:13

I guess I’ll have to put up with it.

Just leave my balls out of it.

2. Jed on February 11, 2015 at 16:33

The premise behind” Logan’s Run} was interesting. When people turned 30, they were disposed of. I used to think they should update that story and the new version would to be 60. But then I turned 60 and still wanted to live. I now think people should be allowed to live to 70.

3. Janet on February 11, 2015 at 19:14

I’ll be 67. 85 sounds about right. If I still feel pretty good and experience some joy I’ll be ok with more.

4. Ron on February 11, 2015 at 19:15

Well I’m one of those old fucks, 79 years old. I enjoy your blog and I’m always looking for ways to live longer. I’ve got plenty of money from smart investments when was younger and if anyone tries to end my useless life they’ll get a .45 between their eyes!

Love your blog Richard, you’ve convinced me we’re being led by self serving idiots!

5. John Bennett on February 12, 2015 at 04:58

67, planning on AT LEAST 140 in great health!

• Glenda on February 12, 2015 at 06:03

I’ve always said I’m planning on at least 135 in great health: glad you’re going for 140, and I will, too, now…oh, what the heck, why not 145 at least?! Not joking. =D

6. Jed on February 12, 2015 at 13:44

There’s a housing blog I read, about the housing bubble in Socal. The young commenters, those under 40 absolutely HATE the baby boomers. They blame the boomers for making housing unaffordable to them. They blame the boomers for taking the last gasp of American wealth, then pulling the ladder up after them. The hate is tangible.

• Nürnberg on February 13, 2015 at 14:22

Well at least over here in Scandinavia it makes a lot of sense to feel that way, I haven’t heard many talk about it but it should be a matter of time until young people start connecting the dots. The oldies have all the housing and have driven up the prices to ridiculous sums through their irresponsible debt habits (big thank you to the banks too of course), meanwhile in socialist fervor they have made construction of apartments so unprofitable that hardly any have been built for half a century unless extremely luxurious or paid for by public funds. Then they have over the decades, again in righteous fervor, put so many laws in place safeguarding the rights of the employed to remain employed no matter how badly they perform at work that you have to go through days of testing your talent for butt licking to get hired to even to most unskilled jobs, all the while the old fat cats get rich sitting on their butts in the public sector (when they haven’t called in sick to go on vacation), and of course inflating their own wages and taxing hiring people so much it really is a pain having employees. And then of course we will pay for their pensions when they retire, thank you very much. I guess it’s considered great progress that we now get to provide for the elders regardless of family bonds, it’s pretty much analogous to the way we have gone from women depending on a man to provide for them while they raise children to women now relying on all men to provide for them via the public sector so they can get divorce at first sign of a dutch oven (one of the many useful things I’ve learned reading this blog btw).

I think there is room for someone to start a political party here. I mean, just like with racism or whatever, your next door black guy/pensioner/your mum is alright, but the others, fuck them.

In case anyone thinks I sound bitter I just want to state in advance I have friends, a girl, enough work (for now) and a shitty apartment (for now). However, I also suffer from a sense of justice and I won’t take this “we built this country” BS from those who made it almost unliveable. Also I’m a bit drunk.

Greetings from Sweden
      N

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2015 at 15:44

Nuremberg

I lafed my ass off. Thanks, spot on.

• Rita on February 19, 2015 at 06:48

@Nurnberg – I love that line: “I suffer from a sense of justice.” Awesome stuff.