Moving To Cabo San Lucas Diary: I Just Bought a DoodleBug

I’ll be blogging about the process all along the way.

What happens is that initially, you come up with the protoplan, and it develops over time into the working plan. So, for instance, the initial idea was to haul my trailer down there as my initial outpost.

photo 4
Home Sweet Home — Mobile Version

Thing is, I can rent a place like this for $325 per month—less than I’d spend on self-medicating booze in my American Cage. Palapas Permanente.

Screen Shot 2015 03 30 at 10 22 44 AM

Screen Shot 2015 03 30 at 10 23 23 AM

WiFi included.

So, doesn’t make sense to haul a trailer and pay for parking it. I’m selling it. Ought to fetch around $10,000. $2,500 of that has just been spent on a DoodleBug, so I can more easily tour the area by air, above the unwashed masses of fray. It’s getting ready to be shipped to me from Everett, WA, now.

20140412 125759
DoodleBug

What is it? Why, it’s an extreme minimalist ultralight setup that you hook up to your regular hang glider. It’s basically using a chainsaw engine with a propeller, to fly a hang glider under power. Weighs in at 50 lbs.

Here’s another, some UK WankerDoodles.

For the more adventuresome: Hang gliding is freedom from the penitentiary of everyday life.”

So, with the other $7,500 from the sale of the trailer, I’m looking towards buying a small fishing boat once I get down there. If there’s enough, a fishing boat and a jet ski.

Much more to come as I sort the adventure of a lifetime.

1. David kettlehut on March 30, 2015 at 11:23

Hey, is it wrong to ask how old you are? I’m 35 and I wish I could start this type of life right now. I need to get inspired!

2. rob on March 30, 2015 at 13:18

Heck of a nice palapa.

I’m only semi-retired but have been thinking about what I’ll need to be happy down the road. I’m also thinking “small” boat, if you can’t easily launch the damned thing by yourself what’s the point?

To me the point of a boat is to get you to a place where, for a few precious hours, you will not be bothered by anyone.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 13:44

Rob, feel free to steal this.

When I was a navy officer where I spent about 4 of 8 years literally at sea, from ’84 – ’92, I always said:

“My first day at sea is my favorite. That’s the day you get away from all the people trying to help you.”

3. John on March 30, 2015 at 13:52

Daaaaaaaaang. Richard, THIS is why I keep on coming back to your blog (even though I only seem to comment on the food posts).

Personally, I have been kicking a similar idea around in my head for a little while now, wanting to live in some idyllic island paradise. Honestly, didn’t even know where to start. Suddenly, thanks to a few posts of yours, I’m starting to think I need to plan out this idea, and make it very, very real.

So it’s possible to get a kickass place like that for about 1/3 of the price I’m paying for an apartment in Los Angeles, huh? I also know that, if I got up and moved tomorrow to pretty much anywhere in the world with internet, I could take 1/4 of my existing income with me (probably more, but that would require some negotiation). Hell, I’ll still have a decent chunk of money in the bank after paying annual protection money for the year. Guess I need to book a trip to Baja sometime soon. How close is the beach to the place pictured?

4. Geoff on March 30, 2015 at 16:00

What’s the process for legally establishing permanent residence in Mexico, Richard?

This sounds like the beginning of an incredible adventure.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 16:05

Google around Geoff.

I did yesterday and easily found info. Basically, it’s real easy to get a six month deal. You have to leave to get another. Next level, also easy, is a 1, 2, 3 or 4 year temp residency. Only real requirement is you have to show sufficient income to live. When that runs out, only where to go is the permanent residency (or citizenship).

In any event, not hard.

5. LeonRover on March 31, 2015 at 02:53

Hmmm,

Think you can outwit a Mazatlán sicario in a
    BoodleDug ?

Pull teh udder one –

BTW –
    Cabo San Lucas! ? Next stop Galapagos ; ))

Sláinte agus Ádh na nÉireannaigh leat.

LeonRover

6. Jim on March 31, 2015 at 03:37

So will you burn your passport?

7. Sean II on March 31, 2015 at 06:47

Richard,
    I’ve been reading this blog for years and it’s the best book I’ve ever read!
    This development has been coming for some time and now that it is here it feels great to have continued reading.
    Your journey is instructional and even when you get hecklers you can be sure they have a place in their mind where they are having arguments with what you say/do and what they accept to be true.
    Keep your passport if it’s worth it. It’s a fucktarded piece of kit anyhow but if it’s going to save you aggro in taking yourself forward, why not?
    I left a tropical country that I felt was a mind prison. Could not mention a new thought without getting the looks. When I had exhausted all rebellion I was happy to leave.
    Now in the UK I want to roll again but this time not to a place per se but more to a situation I create to suit myself.
    Keep up the good work. All the best.

8. rob on March 31, 2015 at 07:15

I spent some time in Mexico in my youth and knew an ex-pat who had been happily living in a palapa for years and years.

9. Beans McGrady on March 31, 2015 at 08:53

Hey Richard,
    Have fun with this. Mexico tends to reveal layers of meaning over time. Ever been in Cabo in the summer? The beaches can be pretty intense in July. Many find that moving inland May-September is wise.
    Plus, heartland Mexico is the shit.
    I should mention that the option exists to go straight to permanent resident. It costs more, and one has to have more in the bank to start, but it is for life, and comes with work permission. Though one has to register to pay taxes on work done in Mexico. (don’t underestimate the joy of not having to go to IMF every year. Here in DF it is easy, but in small towns they can get picky just to entertain themselves.
    One can also leave and return as often as he/she wants without problems on permanent res. whereas there is a very reasonable restriction on temporary.
    You can’t have a US plated car as permanent, but I think you can as temporary.
    There are a lot of little details.
    Your best bet might be to go as the perpetual tourist for a year or so, then apply for a longer visa if you want. Being so close to the border you might not even bother to go longer term, lots of possibilities.
    Feel free to email if you have any questions. I have been through it(a lot of it) and might be able to help.
    The immigration laws changed in 2012 and the internet was lost. It should have caught up by now.
    Here are two helpful sites for information about legal and basic things.

There are important things to know, like, if you have access to an official copy of your Birth Certificate, get an apostille on it and have it handy.(This only matters for more complete immigration(citizenship, tax registration, etc.) You might not need it, but if you need it and don’t know how to get it. . .
    Best of luck.

• Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2015 at 09:01

Thanks Beans.

Yea, looks like the Internet has—at least in some places—caught up with the 2012 immigration changes.

As I recall from my cursory review, it’s a toss up now between a regular 6-month visa, or, the 4-year visa. It’s not going to be a problem for me to exit the country, so, the “wait and see” approach might be the best.

Part of what Bea and I are about is not getting tied down.

We recently met a retired woman who spent a few years in Belize, and now she lives in Bali, Indonesia. I’m more inclined to be of the mind, “let’s stay until we can’t anymore.”

10. Beans McGrady on March 31, 2015 at 09:00

I forgot to mention that the process for becoming a Temp or permanent resident has to be completed from outside of Mexico.
    Used to be you could come in as a tourist and do the paperwork here. Now it has to be done form a consulate in the country of origin.
    You can actually do all of the paperwork here and then go back to the consulate to complete it, if that suits you. then a trip or to IMN (not IMF as I put above) and all done.
    If you have cash it is easy.

11. Beans McGrady on March 31, 2015 at 09:01

INM(instituto nacional de migracion)
    FUCK!

12. MissMcGillicuddy on April 2, 2015 at 14:42

I’m doing the same, but in San Miguel de Allende.

There are lots of expat groups who dish out excellent advice for future expats, based on personal experience – the best kind.

• Richard Nikoley on April 3, 2015 at 06:34

Looks like a plan, but I’ve got to have the ocean, and dessert is nice too. Fewer bugs. 🙂

• MissMcGillicuddy on April 3, 2015 at 13:08

yes, will also be spending time on Isla Mujeres and Holbox, off the Yucatan.

Absofuckinglutely amazing…. best all of worlds (for me) in those locations (SMA and Yucatan)