A Rare Picture of Richard

It’s rumored that I’m afraid to post pics of myself, for any number of reasons, and I’ve heard them all (obese, diabetic, hypothyroid, alcoholic…a complete mess…even sarcopenia in a recent comment on Eades’ blog). The fact is, I’d rather it really not be about me personally, going forward. On the other hand, some insist, so here’s a rarity.

Greetings from Cabo San Lucas.

IMG 3059

But then again, it’s a bit distant, poor lighting, etc. Well, OK.

IMG 3061

I’m sure it’s imperfect for a formerly fat guy, now 54. But I found something curious. While a total omnivorous meat lover, the more I switch out some of that protein and fat for some carbs—and even GASP!—2 or 3 sugary sodas per week—the more favorable seems to be my weight and body composition. It doesn’t hurt to almost never snack, either. Oh well.

And oh well here, too: fair game. jimmy moore started this whole issue at AHS12 by publishing an unflattering pic of me, sitting and hunched over.  Let me return the favor for the “thriving” king of nutritional ketosis.

CA TSZfUwAAoaY5
It’s All About the Thriving…And a Ketone Meter and Strips

…I’ll tell you something else. I don’t need to wear a girdle, because “TV makes me look” fatter than George Clooney.

1. Jeff Johnson on March 26, 2015 at 23:50

Curious

Health is what matters – ‘Jimmy’ – ‘said so’

Well – it would seem health is the sum of it’s parts – and some of Jimmy’s are ? well ?

That about difines it –

What is a bit odd in his paradigm – his plan – his methodocratic method – his intent – is this

He attacked with moral sanctitude and meanness – one eperson who could have – would have helped him – no – not Jesus

but that lady selling the online diet loss thing that was reduced protein(more or less) – low carb and low – lower fat –

Ironic
    sad

2. cunty on March 27, 2015 at 03:02

I’m just guessing but I’d say your body composition is better than 90 to 95 percent of men your age.

It’s just my personal preference but I don’t think a bit of extra muscle tone would hurt you. You were more muscular before from memory. Not that my opinion of your looks matters of course.

I eat stacks of protein but always felt a bit bloated. I’ve fixed the bloating by eating a fuck load of salad with some quinoa chucked it. I find this creates the perfect shit.

Good health Richard and thanks for sharing.

• NFI on March 28, 2015 at 18:34

Really? Looks like carbface to me.

• Richard Nikoley on March 28, 2015 at 19:26

Yea, I have such a “carb face.” Guess what? I remember when I had my first beer, too.

Got my mom’s chipmunk cheeks, not my dad’s Germanic facial structure.

Now, you go have a fine evening, NFI. And, you really should wipe that white snot off your hand when you get the chance.

3. cunty on March 27, 2015 at 03:06

Oh yeah, and I binge on carbs approximately once a week. I find I reach maximum leanness about 3 days after the binge and then start puffing up again despite relatively low carb eating post the binge.

4. Bret on March 27, 2015 at 03:55

Oh, Jimmy. A year ago he seemed so convinced that ketosis in perpetuum was going to be the magic bullet.

But shockingly, forcing one’s body to mimic starvation by consuming an unnaturally excessive amount of fat doesn’t turn out to appear healthy or good for body composition.

And to think I was drinking the kool aid for quite a while…

• Mike on March 27, 2015 at 04:44

Blind to the obvious – at some point calories count, and he is well past that point

5. Jane Karlsson on March 27, 2015 at 04:10

Nice legs, Richard.

‘ve been wondering for years whether you could make sugary soda with unrefined sugar. Why don’t you get yourself a SodaStream and try?

• John on March 27, 2015 at 06:25

I believe they already exist. Check out Virgil’s Root Beer. Erewhon has a bunch of sodas like that as well. Personally, I go for a Mexican Coke (made with regular sugar over corn syrup) if I’m gonna drink a soda.

• Jane Karlsson on March 27, 2015 at 07:14

Hi John, I looked up Virgil’s Root Beer.
      “Ingredients: Purified carbonated water, unbleached cane sugar, caramelized unrefined cane sugar, citric acid, herbs and spices! Gluten Free. No Preservatives, No Caffeine, No GMO’s, and No artificial anything!”

Sounds pretty good. I think Richard should do one with maple syrup. He could advertise it as an Alzheimer preventative. Hahaha. I’m serious actually, the evidence is stacking up for manganese deficiency playing a role in Alzheimer’s, and maple syrup is ridiculously high in manganese.

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 07:29

Yep, Virgil’s is a fav. But I’ll go through a 6-pack in a week or two, and not often. Bea and I split one 12-oz Mexican coke last night with dinner. Need more fluid after that? Water.

6. Mark Finnegan on March 27, 2015 at 05:10

So Richard,
    What have you been eating lately?
    What is the food/diet of the week/month?

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 07:38

Hey Mark.

Basically, I try to always prefer whatever is cooked by hand from a list of real food ingredients. I eschew stuff in boxes, processed food, fast food. Bottled salad dressings. Especially, all deep fried stuff, even french fries, now. If I do opt for the fries, it’s always something like just a few bites of them, leave 2/3 of them. Probably, eating ANYTHING deep fried ought to go as the #1 don’t do it.

Otherwise, no, don’t care much. Last night, Bea and I ate in the room here in Cabo. We shared a wonderful bowl of caldo de pollo (truly awesome) and a flank steak quesadilla with guac and fresh salsa. We split a can of Mexican coke.

Soon, we’ll do the breakfast buffet. I’ll probably have a croissant, brie cheese, a big bowl of mixed fruit including papaya; scrambled eggs, refried beans, some potato, and a glass of either orange juice, or this cactus & celery smoothie they have.

No doubt by the pool this afternoon, we’ll share grilled fish tacos on corn tortillas garnished with fresh red cabbage, fresh salsa, and fresh Mexixican sour cream (which is amazing and creamy not paste, BTW).

• FlyingJay on March 27, 2015 at 08:05

Richard, thanks for this.

Thanks in large part to your blog, I have also come full circle, and food is once again just food. This is after about four years of wandering in the desert through many different highly restricting diets (vegan, paleo, keto, “clean”, etc.). What’s hilarious to me is that I’ve started right where I began, with Brad Pilon’s “Eat Stop Eat.” The addition of resistant starch makes it that much easier to fast. And that right there is easily 98% of what I actually need to be healthy and lean. The rest is just over complication. Thanks man.

7. Jim on March 27, 2015 at 05:58

I’ve never understood the deal with Jimmy Moore. You said in a post years ago that one shouldn’t take fitness advice from anyone they wouldn’t want to look like. So I guess if “doughy” is the physique you crave, then Jimmy Moore’s advice is what you should shoot for. Otherwise…

8. John on March 27, 2015 at 06:45

I feel really bad for Jimmy at this point. Limiting protein for even more fat and zero carbs has always seemed like a terrible idea to me, as it sounded like a surefire way to completely destroy your muscles. Even the 2013 picture where he is much thinner, he looks pretty unhealthy. On top of that, it seems ridiculously complicated. Track 3 macros while going out of your way to eat meals with a disgusting amount of fat and then track ketone levels, all to simply avoid even tracking calories? Especially with on and offline software that can make it so easy. I really like the fitbit software, cause you can match what you eat to your estimated daily energy expenditure. And considering a fitbit costs less than two boxes of ketone blood strips, I have no idea why someone would mess around with “nutritional” ketosis, when it offers no advantage.

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 07:44

“I feel really bad for Jimmy at this point.”

I do not, and I don’t even wish I could. This bullshit fraud crap has gone on far too long. Next time you listen to his podcast (I haven’t in years) see it in the context of an endless stream of “experts” there to lend “authority” to his insane dietary advice, for the benefit of a bunch of religious-like followers, all peppered here and there with a dissenting voice to lend an aura of objectivity to the whole sham.

I’m done with all of them, and I have no quarter for those who still support them on “baby with bathwater” grounds, as I used to do myself. As I said in a comment on my previous post: I’m for infanticide, now.

• John on March 27, 2015 at 09:58

You know what Richard? You’re right. I never really read his blog or listened to his podcast, so I forget that he’s invested in profiting off the lie. Hell, I don’t even know him! I guess it’s just more amazment that he continues to believe in and sell an idea which clearly hasn’t worked. Guess that’s the whole problem with blind faith though, huh?

• McSack on March 27, 2015 at 15:23

Hi Richard,

By that comment I did not mean to imply that people like Jimmy should still be supported. That baby can be drowned in the bathwater for all I care. 🙂 I have no intentions of saving people from their own bad ideas.

What I meant was that certain aspects of Paleo do help people. It’s not 100% correct, and it’s important to separate the good from the bad information. But in some ways, it’s still a good starting point for many people to fix their health problems through diet.

I’m glad to see that you’re continuing to do so well challenging the pillars that have been enshrined in the Paleo dogma. I hopped on here around the time RS started to take off, and it’s been an exciting ride. You’ve convinced me personally to make a lot of changes (thank you btw :)), and I see things in a very different light now.

But frankly, had I not started off with a foundation of two years following Sisson, and then Kresser and Jaminet, I don’t think I would be here. I would probably be confused as hell and dismissive of all of it.

I guess what I meant by the bathwater comment was how do we correct the assumptions that people are making in their journey to better health without confusing those that are just getting started? Paleo may be fundamentally wrong in the role of anti-nutrients, but there are also a lot of people that do need to avoid them at least temporarily because they are having bad reactions to them.

From what I can tell, the main problem is that it seems like Paleo may be confusing the cause of autoimmune disease for the symptom, and blaming the reaction instead of the current condition of the environment.

But like Kresser, I still see the usefulness of it as a tool. Because of it, despite the shortcomings, we’ve made a hell of a lot of progress. My question really was, if you’re throwing the whole thing out, are you possibly confusing and turning away people who are looking for help?

• Bret on March 27, 2015 at 18:28

My feelings exactly, John. It is so ridiculous that only a brainwashed ultra-low-carb acolyte would buy it. That’s precisely what I used to be, in fact, and that is why I believed in it for a while.

I’ve got an idea why. Jimmy and his ULC brethren don’t realize there’s no advantage. They’re convinced they’re eating what evolution adapted us to eat, and that their metabolic/body composition problems are the lingering result of past indulgences.

• Bret on March 27, 2015 at 19:07

Raw. I like it.

For my money, I don’t think it’s fraud. I find Jimmy et al’s doubling down on this fat-induced ketosis stuff to be a very honest blindness to how flimsily supported it is. They’re excited to the point of convulsion and to the banishment of rationality. Like Pentacostal churchgoers speaking in tongues.

• Bret on March 27, 2015 at 20:05

Who cares? You can’t convince everybody. But you can waste a hell of a lot of time unwittingly becoming an amateur lawyer who caveats everything he says, until before you know it, you’re not making an argument, but hemming and hawing over every element and detail in which you see the potential for confusion or revulsion.

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 27, 2015 at 21:24

Jimmy => doughy
      how tranchant
      XD

• DH on May 20, 2015 at 12:47

“Just speak your mind! Some people will listen, and others won’t. Then each of us will die one day and stop fussing so much over how to eat.”

Best advice ever!

9. Starch lvr on March 27, 2015 at 07:47

I enjoy reading Anthony Colpo’s blog, but do find it strange he won’t post any current pictures of himself (that I know of). All I know is of his 2005 photo, showing how ripped he is (was).

I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to post a picture of themselves, but when you have a blog espousing health, diet, exercise and make some $$$ from it, maybe a current picture would be a good way to increase those $$ and readers trust.

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 08:00

I think Anthony is likely just fine. I correspond with him from time to time. Nicest damn guy in person. If he takes a while to get back to me, he always apologizes and assures me he’s not ignoring.

Anyway, he does lots of biking, stuff like that. A few years back (maybe 2011ish) he posted a YouTube of him doing an intro skydive. Same very lean Colpo.

• John on March 27, 2015 at 08:32

When the Primal Blueprint came out, Mark did a preorder special where he did a live webcast Q&A for purchasers. Once he came on, the scrolling comments flooded with “lets see the abs!” Finally after laughing for a few minutes, he stood up, lifted his shirt, and said something like “everyone satisfied?” with a big smile. He was every bit as cut as he looks in his photos. That really impressed me.

• Jane Karlsson on March 27, 2015 at 09:31

Colpo is nice? Hmmm. He set me up and has never apologised. Tell him that when you contact him next time.

• Starch lvr on March 27, 2015 at 11:34

I think Sisson could eat Krispy Kreme’s, Pizza and drink beer and still have those abs. He just has that type of metabolism and body structure. I have a friend just like that, even the same age as Sisson.

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 12:01

Sorry Jane, but I have zero knowledge of any facts or incident. Had no idea you even corresponded with him.

• Jane Karlsson on March 28, 2015 at 03:45

Richard
      You’ve never read The Whole Grain Scam? Colpo thought I was talking nonsense and decided to humiliate me in public. He posted our email conversation on his blog without telling me that had been his intention all along, and blocked all further emails so I couldn’t complain. Now he has turned it into a book so he can make money from it. This is deeply ironic, because I had spent my entire inheritance doing the work I was offering to him free of charge.

He thinks whole grains are toxic, and if people are going to eat grains they should be refined. Since whole grains are where the manganese is, and manganese deficiency is probably the main cause of Alzheimer’s, he is going to have to change his mind about this, if by that time he has a mind left to change.

• John on March 28, 2015 at 08:22

Actually Jane, Colpo’s position makes perfect sense. He states that grains, whole or refined, are a poor source of nutrients, and there are much better sources out there (like potatoes and spinach for manganese). He then recommends refined grains over whole IF you choose to eat grains, as several metabolic ward studies have shown worse nutrient status when using whole grains instead of refined on otherwise identical diets (he cites 14 in the Fat Loss Bible). The reason for the worsening mineral status is due to the higher phytate level of whole grains. So even if whole grains are going to reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s, as you seem to imply, you’re probably increasing your risk of diabetes and osteoporosis.

• John on March 28, 2015 at 17:00

Yeah Jane, I saw that post on his blog, he leaves your full name and everything!

• Jane Karlsson on March 29, 2015 at 06:02

Hi John
      Colpo has a list of antioxidant nutrients which does not include manganese or copper. This is astonishing, because Mn and Cu activate the most important of the antioxidant enzymes. Only by ignoring Mn and Cu can he say whole grains are a poor source of nutrients. Cordain makes the same mistake.

As for phytate, people who are accustomed to it break down nearly all of it. This is the problem with short term studies. Look up what Don Matesz says about phytate.

Animal foods are generally low in Mn and Cu. Dairy is so low in Cu that scientists have used it to make their rats Cu deficient.

Muscle meat is very low in Mn and very high in Fe. Fe overload has been found in many diseases (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, arthritis and others). Mn prevents Fe-dependent damage. Here is a paper about what Fe and Mn do in the brain.

• Duck Dodgers on March 30, 2015 at 12:15

Way back when, I used to disagree with Jane. Her thoughts just didn’t fit the dogma I had been spoonfed by others. But I evolved my thinking, and having looked more closely, I believe she is correct.

All of the ancient grains and starches are extremely rich in Manganese. Every. Single. One. That cannot be an accident. These high-carbohydrate starchy plants require antioxidant-activating minerals, like manganese, as part of their sugar metabolisms and sugar signaling—just as we do.

Interestingly, if low carb cultures did not obtain manganese directly from plants, there is a hypothesis that highly carnivorous indigenous cultures obtained their manganese and other minerals from the stomach contents of animals:

From: Having the stomach for it: a contribution to Neanderthal diets? (2014)

There are in fact very good nutritional reasons for eating stomach contents, particularly for populations living at high latitude, where plant foods are scarce. More than 50 organic (vitamins) and non-organic (minerals) non-caloric nutrients are necessary for optimal maintenance and growth in humans. Vitamins and minerals are both essential for human metabolism, and minerals also play a vital role in cell structure (Hockett and Haws, 2003). Vegetable foods are a source of important nutrients, including vitamin E, C, and the precursor to vitamin A, which are not present or are present in low concentrations in animal foods. Some of these nutrients may be obtained from raw liver, but consuming sufficient amounts of liver to maintain adequate vitamin C and E carries the risk of hypervitaminosis from potentially toxic levels of vitamin A (Hockett and Haws, 2003). Thus, alternative sources of nutrients must be sought, and vegetable matter pre-digested by herbivores (reindeer stomach contents) is a key source of vitamin C (Fediuk, 2000; Andersen, 2005) and minerals, particularly manganese (Andersen, 2005), for the Inuit, who inhabit an environment with very little edible plant life.

Another potentially crucial reason for the consumption of herbivore stomach contents is that it is a rich source of carbohydrates. Reindeer stomach is the best source of carbohydrates (with the exception of berries, which are equally rich in carbohydrates, but more seasonal) in the Greenland Inuit diet (Andersen, 2005).

Given that animals are fasted before slaughter, and the slaughterhouses are not allowed to process stomach contents (stomach contents are first thing they discard to keep the carcasses from being contaminated with bacteria), I’ll bet VLCers like Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eades rarely ever eat stomach contents.

This is a highly crucial difference between modern and traditional carnivory.

Now, if we look at the above reference to Anderson 2005, we see the following quote:

From: Vitamins and minerals in the traditional Greenland diet (2005)

“Furthermore caribou stomachs contain 10 mg manganese/100 g (Kuhnlein and Soueida 1992).”

A lightbulb should be going off in your head right now. That is a huge amount of manganese. Raw oats are considered to be one of the richest sources of manganese known to man, but raw oats have half the amount of manganese as caribou stomach contents do. To give you an idea as to how much manganese this is…

According to the USDA, The Adequate Intake (AI) of manganese for adult men and women is 2.3 and 1.8 mg/day, respectively. A Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) of 11 mg/day was set for adults based on a no-observed-adverse-effect level for Western diets.

In other words, carnivorous indigenous cultures obtained considerable amounts of manganese every time they ate stomach contents.

LCHF advocates use these cultures to promote but fail to follow the traditional practices of these cultures.

It’s too bad that Colpo pulled the anti-nutrients card on Jane the way he did. Phytic acid appears to have hormetic properties and your microbiome adjusts to it and helps detoxify it. Phytic acid has been found to improve copper absorption. Jane has also previously furnished a paper showing that people accustomed to a diet high in phytic acid can break down nearly 90% of it.

Nobody doubts that phytic acid can inhibit mineral absorption. But, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal. Your body adjusts to lower mineral availability by upregulating absorption and downregulating excretion. Phytic acid appears to only cause problems in people eating a very deficient diet.

See also: FTA: Down the Rabbit Hole: When Phytate Becomes a Nutrient

We will try to investigate the importance of manganese, and its role in sugar metabolism, a bit more in a future installment of the Hormesis Files.

• Jane Karlsson on March 31, 2015 at 04:51

The amount of manganese in caribou stomachs is jaw dropping. I’ve wondered for years where the Inuit obtained their manganese. They had to have it, because ammonia detoxification is dependent on manganese, and so is gluconeogenesis. They did A LOT of both.

10. Steve Mc on March 27, 2015 at 07:53

You look great.
    More importantly, you hair is great.

11. Axe on March 27, 2015 at 07:58

Do you still follow the plan as you laid out in your book then? Just curious … especially for those of us who are still struggling with the weight issues. Jimmy’s book seemed so extreme – scares a lot of us off.

12. EF on March 27, 2015 at 08:24

Richard – Have you cut out all booze?

• Richard Nikoley on March 27, 2015 at 12:05

No, haven’t, but being busy most of the time on productive endeavors simply gives me better things to do. Hell, funny enough, but being here on vacation, I drink less than at home. First two days here I had a total of a beer, a margarita, and a Piña colada. 🙂

13. John on March 27, 2015 at 08:43

None of those people in Eades’ blog are offering to show their pictures. Lets see some of these low carb bandwagoners giving internet diagnoses of Richard with their shirts off! It is likely, based on the average appearance of low carb advocates, that these low carb believers criticizing your appearance are fat, still waiting for the magical low carb diet to work its magic on them.

Its funny looking back at Stephan’s takedown of the insulin hypothesis from 2011, and reading his conclusions of just how far from any sort of reasonable thought some of the insulin hypothesis’ ideas are from anything reasonable.

I think people believe so much in low carb because it appeals to their inner glutton – providing the “magic pill” promise. (“Carbs are evil, and eat as much fatty meat as you want!”) When I cut all carbs and ate as much as I wanted, it took a sort of addiction recovery protocol to see the truth that if I wanted my abs to come back that were lost while low carb, I’d have to once again accept the truth about calories. I stopped the denial, got angry, then moved forward.

• Ash Simmonds on March 27, 2015 at 16:34

>None of those people in Eades’ blog are offering to show their pictures.

Meh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samRppQEI8E

“Poking a bit of fun at the /r/ketogains bros (dat flex), I’ve never done any serious workouts, I’m backpacking now so can’t even work out if I wanted to (yeah, right), all I do is eat meat till the idea of food nauseates me, and drink wine with impunity.

Sure, I ain’t ripped and there’s no real discernable abs (yet), but who cares, I’m pushing 40, consume 2-3x my TDEE in unlimited meat and booze, am fit and functionally strong enough to do whatever, no health/joint maladies anymore, can still get by feeling comfortable wearing anything or not wearing anything – never once subbing out fat for some stupid vegetable or restricting a calorie or trying to burn the damn things off. Still slowly getting leaner as the months and years wear on.

And no I’m not a genetic lottery winner, I used to be rather fat, probably 25kg/50lbs heavier.

You think you need plants or carbs to live, and THRIVE? You’re 100% wrong.”

• Alesia on March 27, 2015 at 17:49

Grapes are parts of plants. 😉

• Ash Simmonds on March 27, 2015 at 17:53

Yah, never said you can’t enjoy or even thrive on stuff you don’t need. 🙂

• Gina on March 28, 2015 at 12:37

“You think you need plants or carbs to live, and THRIVE? You’re 100% wrong.”

Yeah, Jimmy Moore certainly looks to be thriving.

• John on March 28, 2015 at 17:09

Fat guy posts poorly lit video of himself is all I see. But getting leaner as the years wear on?

Perhaps if he quits eating til he’s nauseous. I remember being vlc feeling like I needed to eat way too many calories to feel satisfied.

14. Michelle on March 27, 2015 at 09:22

I should look so bad! Seriously, in the year and a half I’ve been reading your blog, and adding starches back to my diet, has been one of the best years of my adult life. All is not perfect, but what is? I am still as fat as a house, but oh boy do I FEEL good. I am healthier now than I have been in a good 15 years! The funniest part is: I went through menopause before I found your blog and RS. I don’t seem to be in it fully any more. I a 48 and have a period again, a regular period. My menstrual cycle became irregular in my 40’s while low carbing down into exceedingly bad health and the start of the ‘beetus, and puttered out before I starches. It’s back to the regular 29 day rotation. What the heck? But it’s all good.
    My blood glucose is not perfect, with it jumping into the 150’s after certain meals, but I feel so NORMAL right now it’s hard to care.
    What I think needs to happen next is to start moving a LOT more and ditch the meter.
    So chcers, ya handsome beast. Thanks for the good year.

15. rob on March 27, 2015 at 11:27

Hard to believe that Jimmy is ten years younger than us.

• robm on March 27, 2015 at 12:15

What’s harder to believe is that he is viewed by many as an authority, has published books and strong support base. What a reflection of the American healthcare system’s effort toward wellness.

16. Marc on March 28, 2015 at 06:29

LAF!!!!!!!

Oh Jimmy. I remember well having an email exchange with him a few years ago (2012-13)
    He commended me on keeping my blog going and liked a certain post. Pleasantries were kept up until I asked him if he really believed eating 2 sticks of butter a day was the way to go.

I held on to my mantra of “would you rather be right or happy?” and wished his little christian soul well 🙂

You look good Richard! Happy and free…

17. Bret on March 28, 2015 at 06:52

“I asked him if he really believed eating 2 sticks of butter a day was the way to go.”

1600 calories of butter, to be sure. Per day. Gag.

18. Lindsey on March 28, 2015 at 13:16

Haha, you are such a shit disturber.

Looking good.

• Richard Nikoley on March 28, 2015 at 19:30

“shit disturber”

Now see, I pay attention to words. Typically, it’s a “stirrer.” A shit stirrer.

I like disturber better.

Thanks Lindsey. I wanna get drunk with you someday and laf.

• Lindsey on March 29, 2015 at 15:48

You are one of my heroes. If you are ever up and around the Canadian Rockies let me know.

• Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2015 at 17:04

Well if that’s true, Lindsey, I hope it’s only because I motivate you to doubt what you or I think we know.

• Lindsey on March 31, 2015 at 10:40

Yeah, basically. Doubt allows one to see ideas as ideas, and this is freedom.

Your blog has sparked at least two paradigm shifts for me: diet (especially ketogenic diet and hormesis vs. being inherent to human health) and how I perceive gender politics (your JB re-blogs).

For me, a failure to understand comes in the form of a knee-jerk reaction, hi-jacking my ability to think critically. I will especially miss what ISN’T being said, and fill in the gaps with my own bullshit. Understanding is something that takes practice- this is why avoiding conflict (and protecting others from it) is not valuable, but a little dangerous. Conflict helps scare up bias, rigid thinking patterns and dysfunctional parts of the ego.

You seem to be pretty good at it. But I guess I shouldn’t assume anything, you’re probably a reptilian alien trying to take over my brain through the internets.

• Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2015 at 13:49

Well, you have to check out the newest post, now.

19. formerblogger on March 29, 2015 at 08:30

A few of us quit blogging (fairly prominent sites) because we were tired of being associated in any circles with Jimmy Moore. You just could never win. If you didn’t affiliate with him, people thought you were a hater; if you did, you just didn’t sleep well at night knowing you were acknowledging a doughy dufus who made money marketing himself. At the end of the day, some of us chose to sleep at night, and put our sites to rest (we had a combined running total of well over two decades). I asked recently why Jimmy Moore was so fat. I was met by the excuses of accolytes, from “his book writing made him gain weight” (funny, I wrote two and never gained weight), and “I choose to support Jimmy” (which isn’t even a response). People refuse to hold him to the standards we should hold marketers and salesmen to. Now that he’s jumped into paleo, it’s even more incomprehensible this new crowd is looking the other way. Why isn’t anyone calling this chubby guy out? Why are people funding a lie? Are we saying there are no better alternatives out there? And if not, why not? Where’s the common sense leadership?

• Richard Nikoley on March 29, 2015 at 09:44

Amen formerblogger.

Someone I trust just encouraged me to go full pit bull on this, and I think your comment just put me over the edge.

• Bret on March 29, 2015 at 12:04

That sounds like free choice to me, formerblogger. Folks chose to remain loyal to Jimmy, despite his silly advice. That’s a fact of life, and if we forget it, we are subjecting ourselves to frustration and jealousy (manifested often through bitter hostility) at the success of those we disagree with.

It would be one thing if Jimmy was an actual fraud, or cartel mobster, or otherwise doing anything beyond speaking his mind and marketing himself. But I have seen zero evidence of any of that. He’s simply wrong and popular. Even if you could get rid of him (you can’t, and won’t), someone else just like him would be not far behind, and the naive readers looking for the quick fix would flock to him in the blink of an eye.

• cunty on March 29, 2015 at 12:41

Even better than full pit bull, go full Richard!

• AnotherFormerBlogger on March 29, 2015 at 13:09

There are many of us! Jimmy Moore is obese again, nothing new, I just won’t participate and haven’t in a few years. Not my monkeys, not my circus.

And Richard, I just want to say thank you.

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 29, 2015 at 14:16

1. i’m not a Jimmy hater; he has just become irrelevant (in my book)

2. i still think of him higher than Carbsane tho; she is also irrelevant & doughy. at least he puts out his photos & meals.

(i don’t expect an author who gives advises on health, & food to look like a contestant of beauty pageant; but it is reasonable to expect ver to look healthy)

• Jane Karlsson on March 30, 2015 at 01:46

Dr Gee, I am surprised that a doctor should think so poorly of CarbSane. Her science is first rate. Have you read any of it?

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 30, 2015 at 21:47

i’m not a layman, not an MD. XD
      so obviously i’m in no position to judge her research.

she is irrelevant (in my book) cause

1. her writing is not entertaining enough for me.

2. i do no trust anyone who does not put out her photos nor what she eats.

3. Her small mind rides on a very high horse.

regards,

• Jane Karlsson on April 2, 2015 at 03:11

Dr Gee
      I see. Well you’re missing a lot, because she knows all the blogosphere gossip and who everybody is. Does Taubes have a new article out? How much of it is true? Who is Nina Teicholz and is she funded by the same people that fund Taubes? Do we know who they are? Etc. If you want to understand what’s going on you really need to read CarbSane.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2015 at 11:57

Jane, I luv you dearly but you are missing something.

Evelyn is a stupid fat cunt. Most everybody knows that.

Science is way cool & all, but almost nobody takes notes unless you sort out the “stupid fat cunt” element first.

Evelyn could be the next Einstein but modify would know, because we’re social animals and it matters how you go after other animals.

Sorry to understand that your own moral compass only pints south.

Fuck that insufferable cunt.

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on April 2, 2015 at 19:09

@Jane,

ps. sorry, i meant “i’m a layman”
      (my background is not life science)

missing the blogsphere gossip?
      there’re other pass time that are much more fun

the science?

i have no interest to read an author who does not show herself (real name, photos, credentials, where she does research) who delights in others “doughy” look (e.g., Jimmy)

regards,

• Jane Karlsson on April 3, 2015 at 04:49

You don’t like Evelyn? But you like Colpo, and Colpo likes Evelyn. Evelyn likes Colpo just as you do although Colpo tried to shit on me. You may be surprised to hear that I like Colpo.

What did Evelyn do? Was it worse than what Colpo did to me?

My moral compass pints south, does it. Pints of what? Something alcoholic, by the sound of it. I have no idea what ‘Evelyn could be the next Einstein but modify would know’ means.

• Jane Karlsson on April 3, 2015 at 05:08

Hi Dr Gee
      Well other people bash Jimmy just as much as she does. Richard has a nice line in bashing. Isn’t that why you are here?

• EF on April 3, 2015 at 06:04

Taken in isolation, this comment could be mistakenly identified as coming from a scene in a cheesy high school drama after school special.

Human relationships don’t follow the transitive property of equality.

• Richard Nikoley on April 3, 2015 at 06:40

That’s correct. Don’t like Evelyn. Last time I checked, I’m well within my rights. Not inclined to explain further.

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on April 3, 2015 at 18:04

RN’s articles are shorter & have more varieties + photos/video (food porn, travel, etc)
      FTA is just more entertaining (if you can tolerate the language)

CS seems more single-minded in her focus.

articles too long (for ADD) + no photos = not interesting

she seems also high-strung (threatening to have a “lowly non-scientist” to loose job IRL is super uncool)

regards,

• Jane Karlsson on April 4, 2015 at 03:50

I expect you mean Wooo. Evelyn is actually remarkably restrained towards Wooo, who has been very abusive towards her and Stephan Guyenet. Stephan was concerned for his personal safety at one point.

I have read everything on all three blogs for several years. I have been deeply shocked, to tell you the truth. Not at anything Evelyn or Stephan did.

• Jane Karlsson on April 4, 2015 at 04:21

Richard, this is ridiculous. Your science is very different from Evelyn’s but in my opinion it’s just as good. I have learned just as much from your blog as I have from hers. Perhaps this is a suitable time to say thank you for it.

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2015 at 08:39

I don’t really know anything about CS’s science, since I’ve literally not once ever been able to not have my mind numb over somewhere soon in one of them.

She is of some mind that perhaps one more post pointing out where someone is wrong or inconsistent is going to suddenly make a huge difference. It never will because only a small set of people care.

My approach is completely different. I’m here to engage minds in doubting everything, including what I happen to think at the moment. That’s a role of contrasting approaches, not mind numbing microbiology ad nauseum. The sciency posts I do like to do at the ones that cover new ground, such as RS, gut biome in general, pro and pre-biotins in general, tigernuts, the Innuit myth, the hormesis, etc. All new ground and what’s beautiful about it is that it challenges lots of cherished stuff, so undercuts it, and when you get resistance from the likes of Moore, Eades, LC in general, et, all, then THAT is the stuff that people take note of and get engaged in, and hopefully they learn lessons for the next rounds of new and challenging info over a lifetime.

• Jane Karlsson on April 5, 2015 at 03:17

Yes, exactly.

20. Donna on March 29, 2015 at 12:30

Jimmy should not be the poster boy for health and weight loss. I think a few people have been calling him out recently and he has become defensive (look at his last blog post). I believe the best thing to do with him now is ignore him, don’t mention him at all. The lack of attention is worth a lot in his case because he thrives on it.

• Bret on March 29, 2015 at 17:26

Agreed, Donna.

The criticism of JM is more than justified, but all this overt aggression toward him seems petty and foolish. People start a war on Jimmy now, and he’ll shrug his shoulders, turn up his palms, and say, “Why is everybody picking on poor old me?” And his followers will sympathize.

I was giving this issue some thought over the past hour or so, and I began wondering just what kind of people all these hostile aggressors think constitutes the bulk of alternative diet blog readers. Are these readers mostly well put together folks who are smart, shrewd, confident, and productive? Or is there likely a disproportionate abundance of quirky weirdos who tend to lose the forest for the trees? I think it’s the latter. And I’ll bet they are looking for a quick fix. Or they’re looking for blogs that reinforce the bias they’ve built from a book, movie, another blog, or wherever.

Weirdos or not, there’s another inherent bias in the blogosphere (and in the media at large) that is going to keep Jimmy Moore more popular than people like Richard: Common sense does not sell. Gimmicky punchlines sell. And it’s not because of a corrupt legal system or collusive cartel of corporations. It’s because human beings are susceptible to their emotional impulses, and few things tickle that impulse more than a muckraking story about how the advice everyone takes for granted is all wrong.

We can live and let live, or we can get bent out of shape when somebody says something we disagree with and gets attention for it. No thanks on the latter. Huge waste of time, and counterproductive.

21. Jeff Johnson on March 29, 2015 at 20:02

First Off
    I think Jimmy Moore is adorable.
    His wife is adorable.
    His cats are adorable.
    His thing with Jesus is adorable.
    Considering – he looks preety good .
    He cracks some really funny jokes every now and again.
    His blog – his podcasts – presenting and discussing various ideas is a good thing for the public in general.
    I like Jimmy Moore – warts and all.

The problem in all of this – is his method does not work for him. My bias is personal – it does work for me either.

I can’t burn excess injested fat – my body stores it. I have no problem with eating a stick of butter – there’s nothing obtuse about
    it – it just does not work for me.

It simply a question of can Jimmy – Me – or some other People burn excess fat.

I am six foot three – male – Jimmy’s method of eating causes a slow ? weight gain for me – the same as it does for Jimmy – after a certain point (205 pounds) – I say the hell with this crap and reduce my fat intake and the weight starts going down -50 gr carb) intake.

Where I differ with some is – it’s not the carbs(high – low – pre-pro- biotic or whatever) causing Jimmy problems – it’s his inability to burn excess fat.

His diet works for many people – just not for him.

Is a lower fat atkin’s type diet any less desirable than an excess fat diet one ?

Is eating one tablespoon butter a day as good as eating a whole stick ?

It depends on what you can burn – and no amount of magic this or magic that or complaining about people screaming mean insults as they drive by will change that.

Not caring about your weight will not change that.

So – I like Jimmy – my bias about his high fat diet is personal.

My life may be questionable at times as too it’s value –

but like a good soldier – I just have to keep marching on – because that’s what we do

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 29, 2015 at 21:17

Jimmy said that everyone should find his own “sweet spot”

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

• cunty on March 30, 2015 at 02:47

It’s all about “faith” Dr C. The more you “believe” the more you will be rewarded. The “good” book tells us so.

22. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 30, 2015 at 21:49

yes, Jimmy is a believer (still seeking his sweet spot)

23. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2015 at 12:33
  24. […] back in the day when I was trying to figure out how to change my life.  His recent posts including A Rare Picture of Richard really pointed out that he was no longer following Paleo principles either especially since he is […]

25. Patti on May 9, 2015 at 14:20

Hi Richard,

I’ve been away from your blog for months due to life gets in the way. Oh my goodness you look fabulously fit in the pics above. I read that your diet has changed quite a bit since adding resistance starch into your diet. It looks like you have entered the world of food again. Are you able to maintain your weight loss because of adding probiotics?

Thanks – Patti

• Richard Nikoley on May 9, 2015 at 14:54

Well thanks. Ways to go yet but I feel better and better and especially now the spine surgery is out of the way. Mexico agrees with me. Daily sun and ocean swimming is very thereputic and healthful I think, not to mention an excellent attitude adjustment.

In terms of diet, still mostly real food, but more carbs, less protein. Fair amount of fruit and seafood. Still, I don’t worry about having a sandwich. I just have them infrequently and they are reasonable in size, and I avoid all fried and deep fried food, regardless of the oil used, eggs fried in butter being the one that gets a pass. Still, I don’t eat eggs every day anymore either. Sometimes, breakfast is a leftover bowl of bean soup.

• Patti on May 9, 2015 at 15:14

I do hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery. Thanks for the quick turnaround in answering my question.

What about the probiotics? I am assuming due to all your experience with the “bugs” that your body is more efficient at dealing with calories because of the increased functionality of your gut. Right?

• Richard Nikoley on May 9, 2015 at 15:39

I assume so, though it’s empirical, based mostly on either not being very hungry, pushing food away when I’m accustomed to cleaning my plate usually, and most interesting of all, feeling hungry, yet not having a sufficient appetitie to do anything about it just now.

I also blogged about the Fitbit just the other day. At first, I derided the idea as a silly exception but as a tool–like a hammer–really depends on how you use it and I have found it surprisingly useful in terms of correlating the above (I can actually see what my actual estimated calorie burn is at a moment, vs. what I’ve consumed) and also motivational. Hey, one more dog walk and I break 10k steps for the day.

Surprisingly, Beatrice likes here’s too. She typically likes no devices.

• Patti on May 9, 2015 at 15:52

Interesting.

Just a side comment, once upon a time I took a four month vacation from work which reduced my stress down to nothing, and I completely lost my appetite.

• Richard Nikoley on May 9, 2015 at 16:21

I have no doubt. Have taken about 3 different month long vacations in my life, all in tropical areas like Thailand or PI. I always dropped weight, in spite of the substantial alcohol calories.

26. Travis Steward on May 19, 2015 at 10:11

Richard, congrats on the body comp, you look great man. You look super relaxed.

Question for you: do you have less stress generally in your life? Overall, do you use your brain less, and play more?

Last question: Do you generally eat when you feel hungry?

I’m with you, I think you’re really on to something here.

• Richard Nikoley on May 19, 2015 at 11:56

Well, Travis, it’s really difficult to say since I’ve been in chronic back pain for more than a year, finally opted for the surgery, and recovery is a bit stressful. Ad to that all the moving parts for my Mexico move.

Perhaps just a different steps, with eyes focussed on light at the end of the tunnel. Down there, life is going to become profoundly different.

In terms of eating, no. I eat when hungry and actually have an appetite. Don’t know whether it’s the probiotic shotgun approach, or the probiotics primarily as beans, but I have plenty of times when I’m hungry, but have no appetite.

• Travis Steward on May 22, 2015 at 21:01

Yeah, I hear you about the appetite bit. I did the LC paleo for 4 years with IF and I never had an appetite. I now realize I didn’t have much of a metabolism either. Soon as my brain activity kicked up a few notches (had a baby and built 2 businesses) and hunger started raging I packed the pounds on pretty quickly.

I’ve read a fair bit about your gut protocol but have yet to try it. I’ve always rapidly returned to optimal body weight when hunger was out of the way… but being a gourmand (which I suspect you are also), this can tend to be a problem since I like my booze and food.

The purpose of my questions was to find out if you’re general brain activity has decreased over the last few years now that you’re out of the paleo dog fight. While I’m aware you have had pain, I think your brain activity has been reduced? I haven’t seen you in the intellectual fight for a while.

I’m viewing the brain like a super active muscle: many workout freaks promote the idea of carb cycling to fuel muscle workouts, but it seems to me the same thing need be applied to mental workouts? I mean, I’m a hardcore thinker. I think a lot of my hunger over the years, particularly glucose craving hunger, has come from my excessive brain activity. As you know the brain runs on glucose, only running on ketones when we’re in some highly unrealistic survival state.

I’ve read your bio, how you used to dabble in options, how you lost friends and family money. I used to be a stock broker and did the same damn thing. I feel like you’re predisposed to massive mental athletics, and hence why carbs being in your life work for you.

Anyways, going on a few tangents here. As I said I haven’t tried your gut protocol, but I’m pretty sure you are brain dominant and need some glucose in your life, hence why you’ve shrugged the LC paleo thing.

I have many brain dominant clients and LC does nothing but cause them anxiety throughout the week, and binging on the weekend. They lose weight during the week sure, but gain it all back on the weekend.