Stupid Shit That Crossed My Attention Last Few Days

Team DD, as Mike Eades calls us, have been in such heavy swing over the past week that I’m buried in emails. I want to get it sorted out and blog it soon. One of my goals in this is being first to publish. We pretty much have a good handle on what Eades is likely going to say, and I want to publish it first.

On the other hand, I’m just too busy. 🙂

Well, actually, I’m just living a so-called life. You know about last weekend in the Carmel Highlands. Monday was a down day for me, Tuesday was working vacation inquiries, Wednesday was a booking for one of those, for Cabo; a drive up to the cabin with the dogs, a day trip yesterday to my brother’s in Placerville with the dogs—and another booking via iPhone. Then this morning, yet another booking for Cabo. guy paid $3,000 for 6 nights in the 750sf Studio Suite, when I could get him the same room for $2,150, for 7 nights. Problem is, his dates were more important than cost, and the 7-night deal requires a Saturday or Sunday arrival. But it’s last minute: April 1 arrival.

Now, doggies and I are anxiously awaiting Bea’s arrival this evening (they’re all up in paws, out on the deck in the sunshines, currently).

IMG 2995

So here’s just a few things that crossed my attention and I mostly lafed and saw irony.

~ Heard a news story about how the last Kentucky coal mine that was a union operation just shut down. No more coal mining union work in Kentucky. Laf. More laf is that lots of guys interviewed prefer dealing on their own for pay and benefits, rather than sink dues into a pot that’s primarily focussed on the union’s political sway. Laf. Laf. Laf.

~ Apparently, the Justice Department’s Report on the “Enterprise of Fergusson, Missouri” had some fart-atomizing repercussions. See, according to Steve Martin, there exists a zone above the O-zone, and it’s called the Fart Zone. That’s where farts float to, and it’s why we must protect the ozone. If the ozone falls, all those farts will float back to earth and—this is important—not necessarily to their original owners. And so, couple of cops got shot in Fergusson. I can’t bring myself to give a wet fart, about it. Do you, really? Do you really, truly care? I don’t.

~ Sweet Briar, a woman-only college (now there’s a metaphor!) is shutting down due to financial realities (what, do men run the place? Financial realities? :). I heard a bit on NPR on the drive with doggies up to Placerville, from Arnold, yesterday. It was hilarious. I had tears of laughter running down my face. Apparently, what they loved most was that in that cloistered place, “Their Voice Was Heard!”

Got that? It wasn’t that their voice was generally irrelevant, that they often spouted so much cunty, mindless stupid shit that normal people just roll their eyes as politely as possible. No, it’s that they were generally ignored until, at 18 years old, they signed up for tens of thousands in annual tuition so they could co-miserate with other miserables, who nobody in their right mind could possibly take seriously, anymore. Laf. Laf. Laf.

…Alright, gotta run. I’m trying with the blog, but it’s really only when some thread of inspiration needs a firm pull that I’m blogging, now.

Headed to Cabo March 21 for a week, so I’m hoping to blog the travel log I’m going there to write. Tired of getting questions from the 60-70 sets of guests I’ve put in Solmar over the last three years, never having stayed there myself—like a drug dealer who doesn’t sample his own product.

1. rob on March 13, 2015 at 17:05

I don’t really care when anyone gets shot. Never known anyone who got shot.

“What’d you do over the weekend?”
    “Got shot”

You never hear that. At least not in the circles we travel.
    Sometimes you have to pretend to care, while at other times it is perfectly acceptable to make to pretense of caring.

• Richard Nikoley on March 13, 2015 at 17:10

Indeed, Rob.

Literally, humans are made to care.

Thing is, we care about events close to us.

Other thing is, the vast majority of shit that’s touted as care worthy, isn’t close to us.

2. Matt on March 13, 2015 at 17:23

“A squirrel dying in front of your house may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa.”

I don’t know if this is really Zuckerberg, but I’ve always liked it either way.

3. Wenchypoo on March 14, 2015 at 06:22

Here’s what crossed MY attention recently:

1. Mickey D’s is so desperate for sales, they’re thinking of selling kale.

2. Kraft Shingles earned the Kids’ Nutrition Seal.

3. I need to go get some weed killer–I got chickweed trying to take hold.

• wildcucumber on March 14, 2015 at 09:05

“I got chickweed trying to take hold”

Chickweed is one of the tastiest wild greens, eat it!

• LeonRover on March 15, 2015 at 12:40

I believe that in Denver chickweed is sold to naive teenaged girls ‘cos many think it’s Chick-Weed. Then they try to smoke it .. .. ..

Sláinte :-))

4. gabkad on March 15, 2015 at 16:18

Went to the local supermarket today. Two black chicks were walking towards me down a narrow aisle, one of them brandishing a mop handle/broomstick. Two of them walking side by side so nobody could get by. Who the fuck does this? Behave like an asshole, be treated like an asshole. If they’d try this stunt in the West Indies, every granny and auntie would give them right royal shit. They wouldn’t try this stunt in West Africa either. Just plain old rude, aggressive, and inconsiderate. Just along the Ferguson, Missouri theme….

This is a very multicultural neighbourhood. In fact the most diverse riding in Canada. Other people don’t behave like this and they are from all over the world.

Stupid shit, stupid assholes are everywhere.

5. foxylibrarian on March 17, 2015 at 17:48

I am an alumna of Sweet Briar, an anachronistic, terrible place whose closure was long due. The pathologies that tend to be seen in hot-house, single-sex boarding schools – eating disorders, promiscuity, kleptomania, alcoholism, mean-girl hazing – flowered into shocking, pathological dimensions in that unnatural environment. Due to the unfavorable sex ratio (most of the surrounding men’s colleges had sensibly gone coed long ago) there was a cut-throat, back-stabbing, man-stealing attitude among the students (the ones who weren’t LUG – lesbian until graduation) not seen outside a harem. No sisterhood there!
    Many decades ago it used to serve a function as a finishing school. It was especially popular to send nouveau riche Texas girls there to get a little Southern polish and, it was hoped, marry well. I think it should be converted into a retirement home.
    I was working at a library in SF and a bunch of slovenly, overweight, unkempt girls approached the desk to ask about free internet. I noticed one was wearing a Sweet Briar sweatshirt, and I couldn’t even bring myself to identify myself as a fellow-alum the sight of them depressed me so much.

And all that for 50K a year, much of it floated by student loan debt they were suckered into taking out by the lie that educational debt is “good debt”. I believe the student loan crisis will dwarf the subprime housing bubble, and I can’t wait to see how many more of these overpriced institutions will fail when that house of cards falls. It also looks like some financial improprieties by the Board of Trustee also brought about Sweet Briar’s downfall (as well as the fact that nobody wanted to attend school there). Here is an article about the crazy fees that Sweet Briar was paying to Wall Street for complicated bond swaps “These deals are also clearly making money for many school trustees whose day jobs happen to be with the giant banks…”.

• Richard Nikoley on March 17, 2015 at 18:39

Wow girl. That’s hella worse than I even imagined. But you should know, and it makes sense too.