Is It Time To Move The Fuck On?

Real Food. I get it: meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, starches. I mean: I really get it. It’s rather easy…so say billions of hominoids, 4 million years and counting.

I don’t get this, anymore:

Here’s my PS story:

I’ve never been obese and today I’m lean (4-pack) with good insulin sensitivity (low fasting insulin). But these days I have poor starch sensitivity (BG spikes too much if I eat more than 3-4 oz starch in a meal). In 2013 I discovered it with a “sweet potato blood sugar challenge test” a la Kresser. So I went low starch. A1c improved from 5.7 to 5.1. Then I read about PS from Freetheanimal. I immediately started in Dec 2013. In January I repeated the potato test. I was *ecstatic* that my post-meal BG peak after an 8 oz sweet potato was 130 and <90 at 90 minutes!!! (It also lowered FBG from the 90s to the 80s) Holy cow! So I transitioned to PHD with 6-8 oz of white rice or potato per meal. But my ecstasy was short-lived. Some random post-meal BG tests 3 months later showed that my starch intolerance was back despite continuous PS supplementation (FBG also went back to the 90s). With chagrin I dialed back my starch intake per meal to keep BG spikes <140. Try as I might by looking for whatever else I changed (e.g. supplements, sleep, stress), I couldn’t get my temporary incredible starch tolerance back. The only BG effect that remains is lower BG 90 minutes after meals. Maybe my gut flora was in a transient state in the weeks following starting PS, and the final species mix doesn’t give me that wonderful starch tolerance. A recent post mixed-meal insulin and C-peptide test confirmed my post-meal insulin output is a bit less than half of a healthy person – a weak “first phase” insulin response. I hope it’s due to the Incretin system and the gut flora’s influence on it. (And thus fixable), rather than late-onset diabetes type 1 beta-cell-killing antibodies.

So now I’m gonna try the Inulin and Acacia supps added to the 2 tbsp PS (which Goddess notwithstanding, I like because of sleep quality). That she mentions her Inulin and Acacia “bionic combo 2” (without psyllium) “burns fat” may be a clue that it improves the Incretin system.

BTW I am curious why Steve Cooksey (diabetes warrior) has not explained why he stopped PS, and has not updated us with his “bionic” experiment since January.

For me, I love being of some service to others when and if I can, right up until I sense I’m being a disservice.

I read the above and my first thought is to wonder how it was possible for billions to live happy lives before blood glucose monitors and A1C lab testing. I’ve tossed all of that: see Real Food, above.

Take your chances, or don’t, but I’m solidly out of the game of endless, boundless, and unbridled deconstruction and dis-integration, i.e., disintegration.

Good luck with that.

1. John on March 18, 2015 at 09:57

People have asked me why I don’t start a health blog, given how much (they perceive) I know about diet, nutrition etc. I tell them its because I don’t really know that much, and can’t really give any advice or information that hasn’t been discussed, supported, and/or deconstructed 1000 times before by others.

I avoid giving diet advice in real life like the plague. I wish I could take back some of the recommendations I’ve previously made before I knew better. “Oh you just read Taubes’ carb stuff I was excited about 4 years ago? Yeah about that…” My interests in health and nutrition are mine, and I typically rather keep my opinions to myself so that when they change I don’t start thinking about what I previously shared that I no longer agree with. I’ll share personal experiences, but not give advice.

I will occasionally say “if you drink soda or sugar sweetened beverages stop” which is met most of the time by “OHHH no way, I can’t do that, do you have any other advice.” I’m not even saying “change your food and exercise.” The only thing that could possibly be easier is a magic pill.

• EF on March 18, 2015 at 11:37

Totally agree.

Seth Roberts was a big proponent of honey before bedtime as a sleep aid. I think it probably had something to do with the fructose – the toxin du jour….

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 10:05

Best sleep ever.

…The more we “know,” the less we know.

• John on March 18, 2015 at 13:01

Dammit, Richard.

Is the effect different than other carb intake on sleep?

(I would advice “get your 6:3 ratio in check; that is the only thing we really know” that opens too many doors to further discussion, and really, even saying that…)

• John on March 18, 2015 at 13:08

EF,

RE honey, for the past few months I’ve been eating something like 1-3 tablespoons every night. Haven’t noticed any sleep changes. Have noticed GI improvements. Actually when I eat honey I feel invigorated.

They sell this brand of honey at my local grocery store (and on Amazon) http://www.ysorganic.com/
      Solid at room temp, and consistency is so smooth it feels like eating peanut butter. Taste is outstanding. Most solid honey I’ve tried has a distinct crystalized texture.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 13:40

“Low sugar cereal, like rice crispies, with 1% milk, puts me into deep sleep quickly.”

First, you assume that’s BAD THING.

Watch animals.

It’s kinda funny to me that low carbers suddenly employ all that bounty of nature, and think that a signal to go to sleep is unnatural.

They are an endless source of entertainment.

• CTH on March 18, 2015 at 16:36

No Richard, It is you who are an endless source of amusement. I should stay away but I can’t… Your constant flip-flops of opinion and position are something to behold… I’ll print and eat every post I’ve ever made if your book eventuates….

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 18:01

CTH

Sorry to dissapoit with no spoons. Seems I only have forks and sharp knives.

• John on March 18, 2015 at 19:07

“And here’s what’s funny, John. About 4 oz of fruit juice or even a full sugar soda before bed?

Best sleep ever.”

I believe that Ray Peat recommends this to have enough glycogen for the night, and to keep cortisol down. He also recommends this if you get up in the middle of the night. If you happen to overdo it on the alcohol and wake in the middle of the night, orange juice can work like magic (and I used that magic quite a bit toward the end of last year). Probably cause of all the potassium.

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 07:35

Just to clarify, I meant 4 oz of soda pop too, not the full thing. From time to time, I’ll get a 6-pack of some artisan root beer, but it’ll take me 12 sessions to down it, over a couple of weeks. I have a bottle stopper.

• John on March 19, 2015 at 07:57

“First, you assume that’s BAD THING.”

You assume that I assume that’s a bad thing. I did not imply that was a bad thing in my response; I was actually writing it from the perspective of it being a good thing. I’ve been a non-macroexcluder since about 2010, after I bought the insulin hypothesis, tried ad libitum LC, watched my abdominal vascularity dissapear and strength drop, wondered why all low carb advocates looked overweight (except for DR. Harris with his self-reported 1800 calorie/day intake) while all people that take human aesthetics seriously eat carbs, and went back to normal.

You’ve spent too much time in LC hell (heaven?) debating the congregation and hearing their bs. There or not, you’re seeing carb hate everywhere!

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 08:25

OK John. My bad then.

Cheers.

• Bret on March 20, 2015 at 19:32

Same here, John, 100%. The sheer amount of humble pie I have choked down (despite it all being in private) makes me cringe.

I can conceive of only a small handful of situations in which I would ever even think about giving someone dietary advice. Even then, it would only be when asked, and the advice would likely involve 10% (or less) of my own input, with the rest consisting of research links, etc.

2. rob on March 18, 2015 at 10:35

A think a lot of it is really about generalized anxiety disorder. I think we have seen people who post comments on a number of health and diet blogs and whatever the subject of the blog post happens to be, they can relate to it

“Wow, I can’t believe you just posted about beriberi because I just recovered from a two year bout of it!”

“Holy cow this is timely, I just had my leg amputated below the knee last week!”

It’s impossible for a human to be as sick as these people claim to be and to have survived into adulthood. They just jump aboard the bandwagon of whatever disorder or malady people are talking about.

In any event, Paleo really did cure my goiter.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 10:45

I’d love to say it cured limp dick, but I still wake up with a woodie no matter what.

• Island Girl on March 18, 2015 at 13:15

Are you completely lacking in pride? A man should be ashamed to carry a belly like yours!

• Island Girl on March 18, 2015 at 13:44

Moreover, I doubt any woman could even find your pathetic little splinter underneath that massive roll of fat!

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 13:53

Moreover, Island Girl, isn’t it a shame that girls get to kiss & tell, gut guys can’t?

3. EF on March 18, 2015 at 12:06

This is a classic case of the arrogance of mankind. People treat their body more like a combination of logic gates rather than an extremely complex biological system with many more variables on both sides of the equation than we can fathom. A little knowledge in this area is more dangerous than none. Nothing illustrates that more than the gut microbiome.

To each his own but you gotta enjoy life and food is one of the two true biological pleasures we have. To reduce food to a number on a post mixed-meal insulin and C-peptide test is a shame.

• Richard Nikoley on March 18, 2015 at 12:27

Word EF. Just.

• giskard on March 22, 2015 at 10:01

“.. logic gates… To reduce food to a number on a post mixed-meal insulin and C-peptide test is a shame.”

I’m troubleshooting my poor starch tolerance so I can enjoy starch more. If I eat a moderately starchy meal my BG can spike to 180. Should I ignore that? Do you have any other helpful advice?

• Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on March 22, 2015 at 14:26

a healthy person’s BG should be
      similar to “critically damped”

• EF on March 22, 2015 at 14:34

I’d never presume to give you advice on your health.

4. Harriet on March 18, 2015 at 19:33

Hubby has been on Tim’s potato diet 4 days a week for the last few weeks and the weight is dropping off while he is sleeping well and feeling energised.

Meanwhile it mucks up my sleep, alters my thyroid, interferes with my emotions and prevents good focus even with modifications. Really annoyed about this over 3 days I ate all sorts of stuff I shouldn’t and have ending up with good sleep and not even putting on weight!

Every now and then I think I’ve got a combination that works (especially when I have great sleep) but then it either stops or life intervenes. Ah well, I console myself that I’ve never been healthier or happier. The trouble is when one has some reasonable health when before one didn’t one wants even better health.

I’ve learned not to be dogmatic about what works and also to be sceptical of people who claim to have all the answers.

5. Rudy on March 19, 2015 at 02:20

The dialectic pendulum is now stilled?

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 07:46

Until it moves again, I guess. 🙂

6. Skyler Tanner on March 19, 2015 at 05:00

Doug McGuff has something to say about measuring without any symptoms.

In his book “The Absence of the Sacred” Jerry Mander discusses how the neighborhood he grew up in had a doctor who checked on everyone, including his parents. They were always fine. Years later when they retired to Florida, they had to get a new doctor who found “high blood pressure” and got them on meds to correct it, which affected their heart rhythm, which had to be corrected, etc.

His father called and complained to the Doc, who responded “You’ve ALWAYS had high blood pressure, but no negative symptoms and everything else was in line. I knew you and your personality well enough not to screw with it!” (or something to that effect). Lesson? When you go looking for “problem”, you’ll eventually find one that somebody has a “cure” for.

7. Matthew on March 19, 2015 at 06:09

Like I always say to my girlfriend. If the stress of keeping to your diet is doing more damage than the diet is helping, it’s probably (definitely) time to change your methods.

Eat real food. Excercise. Play. Have sex.

Rinse repeat

8. Janet on March 19, 2015 at 06:50

Richard,
    I am still interested in your honey post. Still working on it? There are lots of local honey farms around me and just curious what you found out as I had avoided it as “bad sugar”. Trying it at night now and seem to sleep better but then who knows. Tastes so good though. Lol

• Richard Nikoley on March 19, 2015 at 07:54

Haven’t been on it actively, but it’ll come out one of these days. Got kinda burnt out a bit.

• Janet on March 19, 2015 at 10:41

I hear ya. Take care.

9. Sesn II on March 19, 2015 at 07:22

What this is is people being lazy and want to be told what to do in order to live forever. Well ain’t it?!
    The religions are still saddled with that responsibility, whether they have learnt to profit from it or not.
    Diet advice falls into a similar vein. “Real food” advice leaves too much responsibility on the individual.
    The TLDR posts on scientific findings must have been like crack for those wanting an authorative voice.
    First up, you’re on your own. Secondly, you are going to die. All of us!

• wrkn365 on March 20, 2015 at 07:07

I think that sums up the whole diet industry/religion about as good as your going to get.

• Bret on March 20, 2015 at 19:07

Could not agree more, Sesn. Those are my thoughts exactly when I read the comically detailed and complex dietary prescriptions that pop up every so often from commenters both here and elsewhere.

In this regard, foodies, who tend to regard themselves as oh so enlightened, unwittingly exhibit the same pitiful spinelessness that the Medicare & Social Security dependents/enthusiasts do: specifically, a terrified denial of their own mortality.

If some people find pleasure in gnat’s assing every conceivable element of their diet to the 15th decimal place, may they go nuts and wallow in their own jism. But that does not describe happiness for me. I want to enjoy food and enjoy life, and I do not classify obsession as enjoyment.

One day, I am going to get too sick for the doctors I can afford to save me (if I don’t get into a nasty car accident first). Then I will die. Acknowledging and accepting that absolutely immutable fact feels almost as satisfactory as I imagine it would feel to be completely ignorant of life and death altogether, like my enviably stupid dog is.

Preoccupation and apprehension (over anything at all, but especially death) are the results of excessive wealth and overgrown society…not normal, instinctual animal behavior. I’d much rather croak at 50 after enjoying life to the fullest than reach 115 after spending 70% of my time in an unhealthy obsession with altering my circumstances.

10. Janet on March 19, 2015 at 10:47

My new rule: I don’t apologize for anything I eat or don’t eat. I know how to feel good and be healthy as much as I can so moving on. However, The honeybee is a fascinating creature so info is grabbing my interest.