My Bird’s Eye View of Land’s End Baja Has Shipped

While others rent cars, this is how I plan to explore the tail end of one of the world’s longest peninsulas. Don’t care to dispute which is truly longest between Malaysian, Kamchatka, or Baja. They’re all fucking long. Once I hit TJ (which is about 8 hours drive), it’s 21 hours drive time to Cabo.

I wish this thing could cart a cargo load.

Yes, I have the requisite experience. No worries. Anyway, it’s in a UPS box right now, on it’s way here. I’ll have to do a few mods in terms of a reserve parachute setup and a keel chop, but it’s all handled.

1. Steven on April 14, 2015 at 16:25

Good on you man.

I just opened an engineering office in TJ and have all my wage slave stuff in the states as well. My goal is to increase my client base and eventually sell. Lat place I worked was worth almost 100 million. A few more years and some more cunning designs and I will be at the tip of Baja with you.

You still need to stop over for lentil soup. Solana Beach is calling you…

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 17:10

Ha, Steven, I remember you graciously inviting me last November.

This was a carbon copy deal, though, I had downtime during the week and would have welcomed and excursion.

Damn.

Well, if this pans out, one crazy idea I have is to have blog readers come down and stay in one of the two palapas, breakfast and dinner included.

• Steven on April 14, 2015 at 18:46

I don’t need to be invited twice. I am on board with getting off board of Team America. My girl is getting the itch for a trip.

The invite is open ended. Honestly if you are passing through just drop a line. My door is open.

2. Ripken Holt on April 14, 2015 at 20:07

Doodlebugs look amazing. I’m going to look into this as a way to go flying in my area without having to make a weekend trip to the mountains. Very exciting.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 06:25

They aren’t in production anymore, but available second had. I paid $2,500 and found it via Davis Straub’s Oz Report Classifieds.

ozreport.com

Make sure you get solid instruction on flying a hang glider first.

3. Cassandra on April 15, 2015 at 10:42

This is awesome!
    Don’t know if you’ve driven to Cabo before, but everyone will tell you it’s dangerous to drive at night… That is the ONLY time I’ll drive through those mountains. No traffic and you at least get headlights to warn you that a semi is about to share 95% of the available space on top of a 2000 ft cliff with you.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 11:46

I am so looking forward to that drive, you can’t believe it.

I’m starting by driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz. Then it’s 1 every place, all the way down. 6 hours driving per day, the rest enjoyment.

4. John on April 15, 2015 at 11:52

Have you ever tried powered paragliding? Seems to be a fairly regular sight at the beach here in South Florida.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 12:37

No, I have a visceral aversion to panty pilots, though I’ve shared much air volume with them over the years.

Rotor used to love to take a small pee on their laid out wings. 🙂

• John on April 15, 2015 at 13:31

I’m not familiar with the phrase “panty pilot”; is this one of those skateboarder v rollerblader, skier v snowboarder, surfer v everyone else type hatreds?

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 13:34

Good eye, John.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 13:38

Of course, “laundry pilots” is a little more lax. FYI, they refer to us as plumbers. It’s all in the distinctions.

• John on April 16, 2015 at 06:46

Ahh. I googled panty pilots and didn’t find much. I did find an article on “airbag” vs “plumber” and what each can do to respect the other in the air.

And here is “Flying Laundry LLC” clearly owning the term. http://www.flylikethis.com/paramotoring.html

And I found an eHow article on how to make a hang glider out of pvc pipes.

Surely some enjoy both – whether as a guilty pleasure, or otherwise?

• Richard Nikoley on April 16, 2015 at 07:28