Damn, I Have To Fly Down to Cabo San Lucas Again, ASAP

Once you’ve made a real decide, things move quickly.

And guess who’s become the great catalyst? Beatrice. After years of trying to get her to take her CTA retirement designed for Bay Area California, move abroad, live for pennies by comparison, and mock American slaves paying for it via W2 safety-net deductions, I think she finally gets it.

I’m still going to have to work on her doing the mocking with righteous hubris, take no prisoners, in-your-fucking-face-and-fuck-your-landofthefree. I’ll work on it. The dog walk on the beach with year-round just-right ocean temperatures and 80ish degree arid climate should help. I’ll get her to laf at all you wage slaves, news junkies…voters who think The President is important—rather than a pathetic, impotent fuck of a steaming pile of shit married to a stupid bitch—if it’s the last thing I do.

I just spoke with Judith. Elderly woman and artist by trade who designed and had this place built. She’s renting it out for a whopping $650 per month. Oh, it’s off grid, too. No electric bill. Photovoltaics, battery storage, inverter. The fridge is propane, so as to quell the average load.

CSL3

CSL4

CSL5

CSL2

CSL1

So, looks like I’ll be off again soon, within a week or two. Judith insists I see everything and am happy before renting it.

Oh, BTW, it has two separate palapas-bungalows on the property. Since I’m in the vacation rental business, I might rent those out and live free, or minimally, at zero cost.

Or, you know, slave away in that cubicle, imagining that you have to make a shit-ton of money to live in the overpriced, overhyped, overpopped culture that has thoroughly lost its way and whorishly divorced itself from virtually all lasting meaning.

Ponder it, while sitting in line at the Starbucks drive through, while waiting to get your upper spiked upper concoction to drink.

Update: OK, I’ll admit it. Some of the snark in this post was inspired by me starting to watch both Silicon Valley and Veep yesterday, via my new HBONOW account. The two together almost make up for Ron Swanson and P&R.

1. Amy on April 14, 2015 at 12:12

So you’re pimping Cabos so everyone will come down there and turn it into just the kind of whorehouse you left…?

That’s what always happens, you know.

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 12:24

No, Amy.

See, it’ll take decades for that, and it’ll still be like Arizona and NM in many places.

By then, I’ll be dead and sitting at the feet of Jebus, thankful to be able to sit at his feet and worship him for all eternity. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 12:27

…And Amy, let me ask you. Are you so very concerned about the geopolitical and economic consequences of your preferences and enjoyment of your one and only life that you’ve paralyzed yourself?

Or, is it that you just want me to keep all the good shit secret for the rest of us, Darwin like? 😉

• Amy on April 14, 2015 at 15:14

LOL. You can tell the special few of us. Just not everyone. 😉

Actually, I live in a whorehouse that used to be kinda nice. Past tense is in large measure because of people fleeing he same place you fled, bringing that sick mindset. It takes a lot less time than you think. The evolution of a whorehouse seems to proceed at an exponential rate once a critical mass has been reached. Which, sadly, is lower than expected.

Mostly I’m concerned about aging family, who can’t be uprooted or left. Duty of a higher nature. But one day in the not-too-far off I may run into you and Bea down there. Buy you dinner if so. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 16:09

Interesting. Not sure whether you’re being literal or metaphorical, but that’s the spice of writing, actually.

The whorehouses I know from film, I’d really never want to go to on any pretense. Just not may deal. That said, I could probably be best of bisou-bisou friends with all the grils.

Way back in the day, I frequented places in various Asian countries that in no real respect reflect professionalism in the way it does here. It was basically being an intern, looking for a ticket out.

…But it worked for thousands. I’ve had dinner at a number of sailor and ex-sailor households, played with the kinds, etc. You just can’t openly and frankly talk about what she did to get that life. Perhaps for the best, but the systemic problem remains, and only animals will get beyond that. Not elected zoo keepers.

• Amy on April 15, 2015 at 10:37

Har. 😀

Metaphorical = “I live in a whorehouse”. I’m not a ho. At least, I try not to be. Any kind. Not just the literal kind.

Literal = buying you and Bea dinner if I ever see you in Cabo. Yer making it sound like a very attractive destination.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 10:49

You’ll fit right in.

Stay tuned. I know have big and becoming bigger designs on this place. No whorehouse, but I may institute my ultimate goal of having a Heinlein Destination.

In The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert H proposes that voting should have no requirements other than an ability to solve a polynomial equation to gain access to the voting booth.

I want to have rental bungalows on my own property, B&B style, but to get a reservation, you have to pass a test, so that I’m not sitting around my nightly campfire with fucktards.

The test will be a easy for people with minds, impossible for fucktards.

2. josef on April 14, 2015 at 12:56

Hey bro, what are you complaining about. Cabo San getaways are the perfect place to reignate your libido to your wife. Unless you have something on the side, which is cool.

3. Matthew on April 14, 2015 at 13:26

Although I agree with the general thesis of all these Cabo posts and am obviously jealous of your new lifestyle, I can’t help but point out that this is kind of an old-men talking, young men dying scenario.

25% living expenses or not, you and Beatrice still have her pension and your vacation rentals. And as you’ve chronicled over the years, you’ve always been an entrepreneur and had to learn many business lessons the ahrdway (losing/making millions of dollars).

Point being it’d be might hard for someone without the two of you’s work/life experience to go down there and immediately start a life.

Which I suppose is kind of the point… (strong survive and all that).

All I’m saying is, is that at least in your case, the place you hate, has at least somewhat enabled the life your now leading.

But like I said, either way I’m endlessly jealous 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 14:04

That’s all fair, Matthew.

The only thing I’d say is that I knew expats in Philippines and Thailand way back in the 80s. Most were still working, like consulting trips, many worked on oil rigs in various places (they get like 2 months off at a time).

I was enamored of it, did absolutely nothing about it, came back, did a company, had offices and 30 employees, did everything I suppose I was supposed to do. (I started that company on my last $250, no idea how I was going to pay rent).

I have nagging regrets about not just doing this from the start. However, high speed internet is an absolute for the way I work. So, there’s an argument that’s worth having but for me, so long as i can be connected online, I very much prefer to be outside of the country of my birth, that I did not choose to be born into, and would at this point never choose to be born there.

4. rob on April 14, 2015 at 15:11

I remember crapping in a cat hole back in the day with hummingbirds fluttering all around, wondering how long it had been since I’ve seen one, maybe the early ’70’s, and then getting back home and thinking “So this is it? I get to stare are a wall?”

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 15:59

Laf rob. You offer such distinctive clear choices. Laf.

5. Eric on April 14, 2015 at 17:54

Now I’m curious: would Beatrice describe herself as an anarchist?

• Richard Nikoley on April 14, 2015 at 18:17

I don’t think she really cares enough about politics to tag herself.

Imagine if you just didn’t care much about any religion. Arguably, tagging yourself atheist is minimally acknowledging unjustified status, right?

😉

• Eric on April 15, 2015 at 06:53

Lol. I’ve had this convo a few times… “If you must call me something…”

6. Doug on April 15, 2015 at 04:36

Being off the grid, how do you take care of the #1 and #2? I am assuming there is no sewer system.

• John on April 15, 2015 at 06:07

Perhaps its having grown up in a home with a septic system that makes me wonder if you’re joking or not 🙂

There is always a way.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 06:28

Not sure if there’s a well or city water / city sewer or septic, but it’s a normal flush toilet and shower with propane water heater.

It’s the power that’s off grid. There is high speed internet available.

7. Gordon on April 15, 2015 at 10:25

Fuck me that’s nice. Any idea what the square footage is?

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2015 at 10:43

Not sure.

My feet are elongated.

Anyway, just got off the phone, making arrangements. Looks like I’m going to be staying in the place myself for 3-4 nights as a test drive. Meet the neighbors, all that.

• Gordon on April 15, 2015 at 10:55

I only ask because I’m curious how the price stacks up against the prices where I’m moving. Complicating factors obviously, but I’m a curious animal.

Looking forward to hearing how the test drive turns out.

8. MissMcGillicuddy on April 16, 2015 at 17:16

It’s a great plan, IMO…and one with so much irony that the country you chose not to be born into is the one that enabled the plan.
    Meanwhile, not far away, Mexicans, also born into a country they did not choose, are crawling across rivers and desert for a chance to come to the US just to wash dishes.

• Richard Nikoley on April 16, 2015 at 17:33

It is an irony that has not escaped my reflection. I just spent a week with my father in law who’s dad literally crossed the river with him on his back.

Retired air traffic controller. He could live in Mexico at multiple times the standard of living he lives now.

9. MissMcGillicuddy on April 16, 2015 at 17:25

On a more serious note, I hope you’ll let us know your thoughts on the state of healthcare in Mexico. We’re paying for it out the ass in the US and I’d like to know if what I hear is true (decent and cheap there).

I miss Richard Jeni:

10. MissMcGillicuddy on April 17, 2015 at 04:40

In my extended family, we have Latino Americans who came here from South America to make a living.
    Several have stayed just long enough to qualify for pensions and or Social Security, then fled back home to live out the rest of their lives in relative luxury. Obviously, these folks were here legally. For the illegals, the situation is more precarious of course.
    I’d like to find a book that discusses this unique American condition (between North, Central and South America)…I’m not aware of anything quite like it in other parts of the world…though I could be ignorant of it.