Why Did I Finally Go After Jimmy Moore and Michael Eades After Years of Supporting Them?

I feel like I need to explain myself. And, I think you deserve an explanation.

1. jimmy moore is a faithful man who steadfastly refuses—after years of self-demonstrated failure—to to question his faith. The man’s modus operandi is faith, all the other stuff is just dressing and frosting. In that post: “despite faithfully eating low-carb, high-fat.” It’s the one phrase that explains everything.

2. Dr. Michael Eades can never be wrong ever. What he felt good about thinking he knew 20 years ago is stronger than ever. Eades needs little explanation. He’s graduated to political-like maneuvering in order to always be seen in the light that his acolytes accept without any question. It’s clever of him that he has many divorced-from-self-mind fans who have vastly different political views (Mike is a scaled-libertarian; I don’t scale: I’m an anarchist). Perhaps after appliances, he can tide his idle time—between reading 150 studies and 20 books per month—hiring himself out to political consultants.

Eades is lying, and anyone with a brain knows it—and he ought just stop doing that shit because he could be of real value if he stopped to think about it. Moore is an exuberant believer.

1. el-bo on April 2, 2015 at 11:01

>> “It’s the difference between an athiest Pope, and a simple Parrish priest whose biggest sin is faithful devotion to the Pope[s].

except the local parrish priest is the one who sees your kids every sunday, and again for choir practice

jimmy is more dangerous by far, as the flock desparate for his sermons would never grok eades anyway

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2015 at 11:19

Oh, I disagree. The only reason the many Jimmy of the world hold some say is because of the relatively few Eades.

You’re suffering from tunnel vision, which works well in the favor of the Eades, as it has for thousands of years.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2015 at 11:33

el-bo:

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root. — Henry David Thoreau

• John on April 2, 2015 at 11:43

The people that would follow a weight loss guru’s advice, when that advice caused him radical weight gain, would be doing stupid shit regardless.

It must be more than just a few that are actually happy their guru gained weight and is providing reassurance – these are people that are comfortable feeling better because they’re reassured, instead of because they’re getting results.

I’ve listened to many born again Christians talk about the beauty of being saved – you don’t even have to change for the better as long as you buy into the feel good group think and take Jesus as your authority; in fact accepting you’re a piece of shit is actually part of the deal!

2. el-bo on April 2, 2015 at 11:45

>> “You’re suffering from tunnel vision”

nope. i just disagree

while it is true that eades provides the fuel for jm’s fire, jm provdes the ‘common people’ mouthpiece for eades.

i believe that people see themselves in jimmy i.e the desperate lifelong struggle of yo-yo dieting, bingeing etc. they are vindicated by his failures, because the diet is clearly perfect so “it’s just not my fault”

these people want info distilled into it’s simplest form; they want ‘against all odds’, and ‘before & afters’. what they don’t want is to plough through comment wall after comment wall of ‘scientific’ debate on the blog of an arrogant, sanctimonious, lying little prick

eades might promote fat-fuelled gluttony, but it’s jimmy who’e the one posting pictures of the stuff dripping down his chin

jimmy is the underdog, and i think his followers will go where he leads.

i might be wrong

3. Brenden Kaemmer on April 3, 2015 at 03:47

Yep!

I can say I ate up the ketogenic bullshit for years and gained weight and still stuck to stuffing my face with coconut milk, butter, and heavy cream and acting like the calories were going to magically disappear “because ketosis.”

My bottles of the three probiotics you recommend are running dry, I’ve been through about 7 bags of potato starch, I’ve been back to eating lots of rice, potatoes, fruit, and veggies for a while now and I’m quickly on my way to being in the best shape of my life. Last July I was 220lbs, now I’m 190 and much stronger.

It takes very little thought now to know if I’m eating right, I eat about a pound of starch, a pound of meat, and have a shake with berries, a frozen banana, green ORAC, 4 egg yolks, a scoop of pure grassfed whey from truenutrition (highly recommended) for 30g of protein, some whole milk, and 4 tbs of potato starch. Super filling and easy, and full of nutrients.

I feel fucking amazing and I look great. Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on April 3, 2015 at 06:38

Great personal story, Brendan. Glad it has worked so nicely for you.

• John on April 3, 2015 at 11:51

That’s awesome.

Truenutrition’s U’S. Milk protein is a great value, and milk protein is really hard to find.

4. David Brown on April 3, 2015 at 05:44

Sociologist Rene Dubos observes that “to ward off disease or recover health Men as a rule find it easier to depend on healers than to attempt the more difficult task of living wisely.” To live wisely in today’s problematic food environment requires a lot of effort in terms of sorting through conflicting opinions as to what constitutes proper dietary choices. It’s not rocket science. Rocket science is much more certain. It’s nutrition science with all the uncertainty genetic variability, soil mineral profile variability, and personal preferences introduce into the equation. Richard employs the wise approach – find out what works through research and experimentation. Learn from gurus but don’t blindly follow them. Faith can be blind faith which amounts to embracing opinions without being familiar with the facts, without understanding how the real world works. Or faith can amount to persuasion based on facts and understanding; a very practical sort of faith, indeed.

• Beans McGrady on April 3, 2015 at 10:39

Very accurate expression of the general problem.
      I was very disappointed when I discovered the lack of a magic bullet.
      It is fine for me, since I have been doing the research. But it is a lot harder to explain things to others when you can’t just say “starch will killz you.”
      Oh well.

5. Jennifer on April 3, 2015 at 08:06

Hi Richard,
    Just wanted to say I love your voice. You have shades of Vonnegut and Robbins to your writing- I frickin’ love you, man.
    I’m a vegan and I feel the same way about many of the gurus I once followed. Sometimes, you just wish they’d come out and say, “I’m full of it! Always have been!”
    Kudos to you for getting out of the US. I try to convince my husband every day it’s time to leave. I’m about to head out for Easter to hear my aunts and uncles bitch about all that’s wrong with America, then rationalize why they choose to stay. They study up for months on all the latest ‘news’, then gather together to show off their profound knowledge- mostly left vs. right bs. They know every political candidates’ latest gaffe but don’t know a damn thing about the rights that are being taken away right under our noses.
    Anyway, good going.

6. sassysquatch on April 3, 2015 at 08:11

Like many of us on this blog, I went the LCHF route, had great initial results, and followed the advice of these people.

But when you start having lack of mucus production symptoms. Struggle to take one small poop a day. And start noticing that long time LCHF advocates like Adam Jany, Karol Braniek and Barry Groves, all died from GI cancers (lack of mucus production??), it makes you THINK!!

Paul Jaminet has a great article about this on his blog.

Somebody with some clout SHOULD BE calling these people out……and RN and Colpo are doing that.

This blog made me see the light (and feel 10 times healthier).

And kuddos to Brad Pillon for ‘Eat, Stop, Eat’.

Screw dogma and people not willing to CHANGE!

7. Golooraam on April 3, 2015 at 13:12

I like Keto, a lot
    But sometimes I dont
    When I dont I eat carbs and a lot of them
    Usually I pound 1-3 ounces of soaked tigernuts on those days

Then I fast for a day or two

This and vigorous exercise has helped me to drop 21 lbs so far this year

Thank you Richard for your writings on this topic

8. Charles Nankin on April 3, 2015 at 16:37

just had two (!) sliced bananas in kefir. my taste sensations absolutely confirm this combination as being extremely beneficial to me Dr Eades.

very nearly as satisfying is popping back in to Richard’s site. how he has forged his beautiful, independent path. and esp in light of the increasing scientific support toward gut health in general.

but practical info is still coming. here are my queries at the moment:
    – a bit of insoluble fibre is ok (and impossible to avoid if eating real food), right?
    – are we looking for soluble fibre or prebiotics or both?
    – does soaking/sprouting/fermenting/cooking reduce insoluble fibre?
    – do all the 1. good bacteria from fermented foods and 2. amino acids from bones, make it thru to the gut? (their inclusion in historic cultures probably affirms this already).

a good weekend to all,

9. doGnuts on April 3, 2015 at 19:45

So, why did you finally go after Jimmy Moore and Michael Eades after years of supporting them?

Because you are a cunt, sir. That’s why! 🙂

10. OrangeNY on April 4, 2015 at 07:05

What JM needs to realize is no diet will afford him gluttony without consequences.

As much and as desperate as he is to blame it on anything else – he has an unhealthy relationship with food no matter what the macro configuration of the day is

In the end calories matter…

• John on April 4, 2015 at 22:38

“In the end calories matter…”

They absolutely do, but the thing with “Nutritional Ketosis” is that it lowers the value over on the Calories Out side, too. The more you reduce protein (and carbs too) to allow more fat, you are lowering the thermic effect of what you eat. Also, without enough protein and carbs, you are going to lose muscle, which will lower your RMR as well.

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 06:50

Ketosis in its natural form is a starvation adaptation, or, minimally, a scarcity one. One hopes not a permanent situation.

• Wenchypoo on April 7, 2015 at 09:53

Even the Atkins book says to do the induction Phase for no more than 2 weeks!

11. Dan Morrison on April 4, 2015 at 07:19

Doesn’t it all just boil down to common sense. I tried Keto for a bit, but I didn’t feel good, and it just don’t make “sense” to me to eat so much fat on purpose.

In retrospect I felt the best in life when I wasn’t dieting, when I was eating meat, potatoes, and veggies every meal, and dessert, was just that dessert.

I do think there is some value in low carb, does seem to control hunger, and probably does help in weight loss.

When I was younger there wasn’t that much processed food, thus we ate less. So yea, it is all about packaging and marketing to make a book, whether it is a book, a website, or a package of processed food.

I don’t pretend to know Richard, but our journey has been similar in the sense we have tried various ways of eatings in an attempt to change our body composition or performance.

For me I think I need to go back to basics, what makes “sense” and the diet Richard outlined and is roughly adhered to above in Brenden’s post in regards to RS and the way he eats now seems reasonable. Even if you don’t add in the RS, we are talking about a well rounded diet of non processed foods ate in balance.

Not sexy but lets face it that’s all you need to do.

12. Bret on April 4, 2015 at 10:38

Eades’ arrogance and inability to admit error is so astounding it’s almost impressive. That said, this has been patently obvious for quite some time, and I’m confused over why Richard and “The Duck Dodgers” have persisted in their debate with him for over a year. That’s their business, but at some point it seems like doubling down on a bad investment with no evidence of improvement, over and over and over again. Eades is a tool, with many blindly loyal followers. Debating him at this point makes little apparent sense.

At the risk of redundancy, I have nothing but sympathy for Jimmy. I know people are bitter toward him for being popular and wrong simultaneously, but that strikes me as jealousy over his success. He’s speaking his mind without forcing himself onto anyone, and he does not deserve to be attacked for it. Criticism of his dietary strategy, however, is perfectly justifiable, for many reasons.

• John on April 4, 2015 at 14:46

Jimmy states that healthy foods are evil, that his death inducing regimen is healthy, and declares himself and his ways healthy to a wide audience while writing a post justifying his dismissal of the truth.

And there are plenty of people telling him he is either full of shit or bullshitting himself.

Sure he isn’t forcing himself on anyone – zealots preaching hell as a consequence for disbelief aren’t chaining damaged people looking for a little self improvement to the pews, either.

It’s tough (for me) to be sympathetic to the willfully ignorant who profit from preaching their harmful advice.

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2015 at 14:53

Bret:

It’s not really a “debate with Eades” and never has been. It’s about ridiculing him, for fun. He’s a pompous ass and people love him.

You should see the emails and derisive 1st time comments I get (1st timers go to moderation.

I’m delighted so many are frothing at the mouth. I’m not happy unless they’re not happy. Fuck ’em. Screw every fucking dumbass Eades groupie and fuck Eades and his lying ass too.

Contempt!

• Bret on April 4, 2015 at 15:13

I haven’t read every piece of the exchange by a long shot, but from what I did see, you and Duck always took a tone that read as very humble, polite, and deferential toward Eades. That is why I did not assume it was intended as ridicule.

F those loyal fanboys for sure. They sicken me. Preteens trapped in 40-year-olds’ bodies.

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2015 at 15:16

That was initially, for sure. When it turned out he was going to be his typical pompous ass, condescending dismissive self, I turned it up and up, and recently, switched it to full Pit Bull. Now, it’s clearly for the entertainment and ridicule value.

• Span_Carvan on April 4, 2015 at 16:01

Do you think he has any choice? What would you do in his position? He’ll have to dismiss any ill health effects or it’s over for him. He has a lot invested in the whole venture. It’s his life. Even if he has doubts about the diet, he can’t show it now.

Here’s what Eades used to do in the mid-2000s regarding the immune and hormone-wrecking tendencies of a very low carb diet. That’s according to a third-party who used to frequent his blog at that time.

What do you think really goes on behind closed doors? Do you think the Old Guard, i.e., Cordain, Atkins, Rosedale et al did not know about this? Cordain, especially. Do you think he’s ignorant about the phenomenon? That’s not a rhetorical question.

“A decline in T3 is a known effect of low carb diets on some people. The Eades used to discuss it on their web page a decade ago, then they removed it, and when asked about it, said they had never said it. I double checked at the time , and found the old version page on The Wayback Machine web site where they reported treating some of their low carb diet patietns with T3.”

“The Eades discussed this years ago and admitted to having to supplement T3 in some patients, but then they later said they hadn’t. I found the web page on Wayback Machine where they had. So yes, it is an issue.” http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2009/11/effect-of-atkins-diet-long-term-on-mood.html

“Supplementing his patients with T3 alone was what was originally recommended by Dr. Eades on his web site back in the 1990s, but he removed the page and now says he never recommended it.”

13. Jed on April 4, 2015 at 15:19

I’m gonna laff when the consensus finally arrives at a diet recommending ‘medium fat, medium carb and medium protein’. The Goldilocks diet, let’s call it. Personally, that’s where I finally landed.

• Wenchypoo on April 7, 2015 at 09:56

Isn’t that called “moderation”?

14. Per Nissilä on April 4, 2015 at 15:23

“If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!”

15. Wenchypoo on April 8, 2015 at 06:23

Speaking of Mark Sisson and corporatism, he came out with a Primal probiotic today: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz3Wiw40N1f

Note my comment below.

• Richard Nikoley on April 8, 2015 at 07:23

Cool, looks like a good product. No refrigeration needed. I’m rusty on keeping the various species clear in my head, so I’ll have to look to compare with PA, PD, and AOR.

16. Kathy Goodwin on November 10, 2015 at 20:08

This a nice balanced approach to a discussion about nutrition. I was a Registered Dietitian for 20 years. I wrote several articles for thedietchannel.com. One of these articles was my analysis of the low carb craze (this was back in the early 2000s). Apparently, I just found out tonight (because I was being vain and googled my name, ha!) that Jimmy took me to task back in 2006 about my article on his living la vida low carb site. Boy he doesn’t hide his seething hatred for those who disagree, huh? I decided to research this guy a little further tonight, because usually, when someone has that much vehemence about something like the diet they follow, there is usually something more going on. Come to find this guy sure has profited over the years from his stance, huh? I have also come to learn he is having health problems and gained most of his weight back? Anyway, I stopped practicing nutrition professionally a few years ago, due to all these self proclaimed experts and people treating their diets like a religion. Needed to lighten up a bit! I bet the cortisol is surging while all these people stress about whether they followed their diets perfectly today….insane! Now I’m doing fine art appraisal. What a nice change! Like your site and your writing!

• MissMcGillicuddy on November 11, 2015 at 18:27

Great post….and interesting career switch as well!
      As if his public begging wasn’t off putting enough (he asked for donations in his first book), I could read no more of his dribble after he refused to address the mislabeling (sp?) of the Julian Bakery bread products he was pushing on his site.

That said, your analogy: diet adherence to religion, interesting turn of phrase. A colleague of mine has his own description – he says we are a country of dietary fetishists….I think he’s onto something. How crazy we must look to other cultures around the world.