Dr. Eades’ Groupies: I’m Not Happy Unless You’re Not Happy

Let me make it absolutely clear that I take unabashed delight in the frothing at the mouth I’ve had over the last few days, intensified since this last post: Why Did I Finally Go After Jimmy Moore and Michael Eades After Years of Supporting Them?

Here’s some fun excerpts in my email this morning from four super-fans. I’m in Mexico (again). Checking email is infrequent. Some were notifications from 1st time commenters, which go to moderation—since I’m loath to invite someone in who knocks on my door and when I answer, says “let me in, asshole.” Go fuck yourself, with attitude.

Richard isn’t giving you answers because he has none, and your questions are highlighting problems in the resistant starch research he tried to make money with.

Yea, I’m not giving answers I don’t have to someone I don’t know looking for an Internet diagnosis. Plenty of places to go for that. The implication is that it’s ANSWERS that matter, not honest inquiry and flowing with the science.

what an ignorant deuchebag you are richard. some major dickheads out here blogging, you being one of them. go fuck yourself!

Again, more of the same sort of thing. How dare I or any other ignoramus question Eades-edicts (ANSWERS!!!) that have come up as a result of tons of recent research that call such edicts into question. If taking delight in rubbing Eades’ pompous-ass, condescending face in it—along with his fucktard groupies—makes me a dickhead, guilty. Go fuck yourselves with my compliments.

GO FUCK YOURSELF WITH YOUR PHONY STORIES. YOU WERE PIMPING LOW CARB BACK IN 2008 AND INSULTING MAYO CLINIC RESEARCHERS.

Indeed, I was “pimping” LC in 2008 and beyond. Worked for me, until it didn’t. Then I integrated new research and don’t think LC is a particularly good lifestyle for most people—though it probably has short-term and therapeutic advantages in certain circumstances.

After reading every post on diet on your site I have to conclude that your hate for the low carb community has nothing to do with health and everything to do with the fact that your fat, hypothyroid ass loves carbs.

Right. I used to hate “carbs,” now I love “carbs,” so I’m going to create a shitstorm over my weakness. It’s really too dumb to answer, but if you must, I like and love foods. Some happen to have carbohydrates.

Another funny one is the guy (he’s been in Eades’ comments too) who’s “in contact with 50 PHYSICISTS who agree with him.” Yea? Well The Duck Dodgers are in collaboration with 51 PHYSICISTS!

OK, for the sake of explaining the evolution, let’s go:

1. The first inkling I got that LC (or paleo for that matter) was incomplete was doing Martin Berkhan’s Leangains. I did quite well on it, in both body composition and big gains in thy gym, rather like advertised. So, how could eating so many carbs (mostly from potatoes with little added fat) be so beneficial if LC and paleo had all the answers? And you should see some of those comment threads back then, where eating potatoes was a big sin.
  2. LC did nothing for me later except make me feel tired and cold.
  3. Then came “The Potato Hack,” back in about 2012 or so. How could so many stalled LC dieters kick off big weight loss eating 90-95% carbohydrate, and from POTATO?
  4. Then came Resistant Starch. Feed the gut, the gut is important (I have a Google alert and at this point, there’s something like a dozen new articles daily about it, worldwide). I didn’t blog about the rice news because I’m not interested in showing people how to eat twice as much rice, which is the tone of the whole deal.
  5. RS highlighted the importance of the gut biome, and also probiotics. Most of he foods for the gut—that demonstrate benefits in studies—are found in various natural carbohydrate foods. Another chink in the LC / paleo “armor.” So, lots of other foods and fibers came into play. My various Google alerts for things gut biome delivers dozens of articles and studies daily. I have dozens unread in my inbox right now.
  6. Then came Tigernuts, a tuber that appeared likely responsible to solve the mystery of the big shift ~3.5 million years ago in hominoids, from C3 to C4 isotopes. Integrate to that that a hominoid could harvest a day’s nutrition in about 2 hours, tigernuts have about the same macro profile as mammal milk, and the micro-nutrition of vitamins and minerals edges out muscle meat—not to mention that they are both gut food and come with a set of soil-based probiotics on their surface.
  7. Then came serious questions about the whole “legend” surrounding how people in extreme cold environments survived—particularly Inuit—rendering the entire thing largely a bunch of mythology promoted by conniving frauds and opportunist peddlers.
  8. And finally, the big dig into hormesis and “toxins,” where, it turns out, avoiding them may be a “cure” that’s actually detrimental. Yes, there are tons of “toxins” that are highly beneficial and health promoting. Dose is important.
  9. And finally, all along the way, remember that I actually have a blog with over 100,000 total comments, and I’ve read every single one. I see everything, the positive and the negative self reporting, and fuck you if you don’t like it, but I go with what I see, predominantly.

In terms of #9, I’ve seen thousands of positive anecdotes surrounding LC and paleo over the years, and I’m one of them. But I’ve also seen just as much negative, when one takes the long-term view, i.e., a “diet for life.” Well, we’re humans for life, so in spite of short-termthereputic value, I became persuaded over time that such is its proper context.

Just as importantly, as I have blogged about all the things surrounding #1 – #8, I have thousands of anecdotes of people experimenting themselves, and achieving breakthroughs and benefits. I’m one of those too. So, it all begins adding up.

Now, contrast that with a pompous-ass, condescending Eades where even after we initially attempted to be very kind and conciliatory with new information on much of the stuff above, were met with ridicule, dismissiveness, and affirmations that it’s so simple and he’ll eventually get to it.

Eades can go fuck himself. So can all his pathetic, fucktard, mouth-frothing groupies. You know who else? Everybody who won’t stand up similarly. Contempt have I, for all of you. Life is too short to tolerate intransigent bullshit for the purposes of protecting fiefdoms and nefarious back-scratching liaisons.

Here’s the most recent anecdote.

Yep!

I can say I ate up the ketogenic bullshit for years and gained weight and still stuck to stuffing my face with coconut milk, butter, and heavy cream and acting like the calories were going to magically disappear “because ketosis.”

My bottles of the three probiotics you recommend are running dry, I’ve been through about 7 bags of potato starch, I’ve been back to eating lots of rice, potatoes, fruit, and veggies for a while now and I’m quickly on my way to being in the best shape of my life. Last July I was 220lbs, now I’m 190 and much stronger.

It takes very little thought now to know if I’m eating right, I eat about a pound of starch, a pound of meat, and have a shake with berries, a frozen banana, green ORAC, 4 egg yolks, a scoop of pure grassfed whey from truenutrition (highly recommended) for 30g of protein, some whole milk, and 4 tbs of potato starch. Super filling and easy, and full of nutrients.

I feel fucking amazing and I look great. Thanks.”

Or, strive to figure out a way to make LC work for you. I hear that—seriously—drinking bleach allows you to eat LC like a whale, which makes sense because the whole LC thing is all about being a glutton and getting into heaven anyway. It’s makes you “born again.”

1. Steven Richards on April 4, 2015 at 17:16

Are you enjoying the moment, and if not, could it be you’re doing something wrong?

2. A Giskard fan on April 4, 2015 at 23:12

The problem is you’re voicing very strong opinions and are not being transparent. Its a lot of work to even get you to post a poor quality photo.

Jimmy has been transparent all along, and this is great, as it now highlights the problems in his approach. Sure, its embarrassing for him, but he’ll find a way forward eventually. I’m sure you’re right that he’s overeating.

If you want to quote science, post your A1c scores and periodic blood sugar tests like Jimmy does. And post more photos. It would also be useful to know if you’re experiencing any diabetic symptoms. Dr Bernstein has some of the most detailed lists of these for early stage diabetes.

This will get you trust and respect from the community. Your approach may well be the right one for those who are not yet fully diabetic . And you would be providing massive support to the community by proving your case transparently.

Throwing out your blood sugar meter says you’re ignoring science. You may be thinner, but you will pay the price later if you constantly maintain high blood sugar.

If the best you can do is just being an internet blowhard and posting random testimonials (“I just feel great now!”), then expect plenty more negativity to be directed your way.

Oh and I’ve never heard of Dr Eades.

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 06:56

“The problem is you’re voicing very strong opinions and are not being transparent.”

Oh Christ already. First of all, I don’t owe you or anyone else anything. Second, I don’t give a shit about your assessment of what “the problem is.” Go fuck yourself. Third, I’ve posted dozens of pictures over the past many years, including one last week. Fourth, I’ve posted my bloodwork a half dozen times, including my best set ever about 3 months ago.

Now go fuck off already.

• VW on April 5, 2015 at 08:50

“Oh and I’ve never heard of Dr Eades.”

Bullshit.

• Span_Carvan on April 5, 2015 at 11:39

First, Giscard has BG issue that are not related to the normal onset of diabetes from prediabetes. He can’t secrete insulin in the 1st hour. Problems like that tend to be genetic or autoimmune. It looks like he’s been shopping around for different opinions and doctors may have dx’ed him already, as he’s already taking medications. He says he hadn’t VLC’ed long enough to bring about such a condition but I tell you what. If you have an innate weakness like that, VLCing for any duration could tip you over. I’m willing to bet its his swallowing of the BG myths that may have contributed to his condition. Second, you just don’t know enough about BG control to be commenting. LCers think BG is everything and will track their health by equating it to FBG and HbA1c, which they cannot even interpret properly. Health is a lot more compelx and it’s a balancing act involving several variables other than BG, which is an important component. In pursuit of BG control, many LCers end up in worse condition than they were and in fact wreck their hormones and immunity in ways they cannot understand or imagine. Both Giskard and you might be one of them.

• John on April 5, 2015 at 15:04

Last line gives away the troll, if the various ridiculous sentiments don’t.

• A Giskard fan on April 5, 2015 at 20:31

Its a pity you are such an asshole, because you do have some good ideas and it wouldn’t surprise me if you are somewhat close to the truth.

However this requires clearer thinking including posting a1c/FBG/OGTT, along with willingness to challenge your own ideas, which I am not seeing.

While important, I disagree with weight control as the primary indicator of good health. Too many thin people are dying at early ages of cancer right now.

Anyways, thanks for the conversation and good luck.

Span_Carvan: You have some good ideas.

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 20:48

“along with willingness to challenge your own ideas, which I am not seeing.”

Then you aren’t looking. This entire thing is about me challenging ideas over and over, over years and years. In fact, one thing that got me to challenge LC for me was high fasting BG, which I posted about many times. Adding beans, rice, potatoes and in general eating more carbohydrate gave me normal fasting BG in the 80s and 90s, which I also posted about.

It’s hardly my fault if you presume I haven’t addressed something simply because you’re unaware of it, and because I don’t rehash it in each relevant post I write.

• John on April 6, 2015 at 07:10

I bought a blood glucose meter out of curiosity once. Tested fasted and it read 88. It may be broken though, because I’ve tried it a few times 1 hour after eating 300g carbs as part of a mixed meal, and it has never read over 90.

• golooraam on April 6, 2015 at 12:48

Hi Richard
      Ya – I have found on keto, on days after I eat carbs, my BGs are all freaking over the place, so I am definitely less ‘bulletproof’ LOL

now that I have blood glucose meter, I’m anxious to do pre and post and morning after BGs with having cooled and reheated beans per your “ham and beans” recipe from a few months ago

• gabkad on April 6, 2015 at 14:30

Is that you Spanish? Long time no see. Missed you.

• Span_Carvan on April 6, 2015 at 21:42

Hi, Gabby. How r things in Hogtown? Need to hop over to Tim’s blog and see what he’s been doing.

• gabkad on April 7, 2015 at 07:01

Very happy to know you are going to be providing input again.

3. Brenden Kaemmer on April 5, 2015 at 09:21

Awesome! I’m glad to see my comment got featured. I’m sure it will inspire others to make good choices.

4. john prockish on April 5, 2015 at 10:08

been reading your site for years, tried Atkins, l.c. first then moved on and have tried it all ( paleo standards ). It all worked as Richard claims, for myself. BUT I have 1 major problem I cannot overcome. I have had autoimmune disease ( skin problems for 35 years, then found out 5 years ago I had ulcerated colitis ). which has been in remission for the last 4 years without medication as long as I don’t eat grains. Then I tried beans, rice and ( as recommended )colitis came back and my skin flared up pretty bad. ( my shin problems have never completely gone away). my conclusions on myself are if you have auto immune problems, any bean, or parboiled rice might not agree with you. I stopped eating beans and rice about a month ago and now everything is looking better.
    I still follow most of your findings and I am doing fine….ty. love your blog

my morning smoothies 5 days
    frozen berries
    green banana starch
    plaintain starch
    psyllium husk powder
    inulin
    coconut milk
    probiotics
    then sometimes an apple, carrots what ever is in the fridge

5. rob on April 5, 2015 at 11:18

I think people who try VLC often have different goals. For some people their only goal is to get from point A to point B where

A = obese
    B = not obese

If VLC gets them to B, even for a few months or years, they don’t understand why anyone would question VLC, it got them to Valhalla.

To them being at B is paradise, it is all they have ever wanted in life.

For other people, B was never really the goal. The goal all along was to get from A to B to C, where

A = obese
    B = not obese
    C = living an active and fulfilling life

When these people get to B, they start questioning why VLC isn’t getting them closer to C, so they start tweaking the recipe, throwing in some potatoes or other “safe starches.”*

Now let’s posit a person who has never lived an active and fulfilling life due to obesity. Which group are they more likely to fall into, the first or the second?

*”Safe starches” always cracked me up, how big a wuss do you have to be to be afraid of a potato

6. BTW on April 5, 2015 at 12:13

I think you will be bashing your current eating plan in the future, just like you are now with your past eating plan.
    It had success too, until it didn’t anymore.

It might take awhile though.

• Cth on April 5, 2015 at 15:49

You are right…

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 16:03

I’m actually not aware of any plan whatsoever, so how about you two presumptuous souls tell me what the plan is, and I’ll bash it.

• BTW on April 5, 2015 at 16:31

I think your plan is to ridicule others, insult others, and create controversy in a way that will maxify blog traffic and personal gain. Be it monetary or something less tangible.

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 16:37

Interesting eating plan.

• BTW on April 5, 2015 at 16:50

Oh you want to know about an eating plan.
      I have no idea and apparently you don’t either.
      I have moved past the diet/macro wars.

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2015 at 19:45

So, you were being presumptuous, and assuming I have such a thing as an “eating plan,” you don’t know what it is.

Moreover, I’m not ridiculing either LC or Paleo, but rather those individuals and groupies who resist and refuse integrating knew knowledge and understnding, which I have already explained.

• BTW on April 6, 2015 at 14:29

Like I said I am way past the diet/macro wars.

The point I was trying to make was that low carb worked for you for awhile, paleo worked for you for awhile, IF’ing seems to still be working for you but who knows for how much longer?

Maybe you are the type that just needs to change things up regularly. Personally I do best on HFLC,
      I don’t think it is a person failing at a diet more than the diet failing the person since what one finds satiating others may find lacking. Eating a diet that doesn’t make one happy, even if it is successful at maintaining a good body composition, is a recipe for disaster. IMO

The key is to be able to find satiating foods that allow a caloric deficit if one is seeking fat loss.
      That satiating food list will be individually based. If one is happy being a vegan I care not. Despite the claim that there is one perfect health diet for everybody, I claim BS.

• Richard Nikoley on April 6, 2015 at 15:19

“paleo worked for you for awhile, IF’ing seems to still be working for you but who knows for how much longer?”

Both always worked. It’s chronic LC that’s the root problem. Honey is paleo. 90% carbs can be paleo. Real food is paleo. My problem is how some define paleo, not eating what ancestors ate.

I have zero issue with _intermittent_ LC or even ZC eating.

7. Harriet on April 5, 2015 at 17:21

Hmmm, the bashers coming on here to ridicule you and then complain that you do it to others. Well perhaps you do, though that doesn’t mean they aren’t projecting their own stuff. And what they don’t get is that it IS your blog and you can write what you like. Anyone can choose not to read it.

But I continue to read because I like your continuing spirit of enquiry and I like it because you aren’t afraid to change what you do on the basis of results. After years of low carb I finally had to acknowledge that my BG had become much more unstable and my autoimmune response much worse. I had become much more gluten sensitive. After 6 months on a high RS diet, including daily 4tbs PS my gluten sensitivity had improved immensely. I was no longer intolerant to a crumb of bread, I could get away with eating a whole slice, though not two slices. So something had improved a lot. I still don’t have it all sorted and I still want to lose another 10 kg, but I am metabolically healthier that I was LC. Keep up the enquiry as I will.

• gabkad on April 6, 2015 at 14:35

@Harriet +1

8. iphone user on April 6, 2015 at 01:01

Can you take a look at your ad settings. Often when I try to read articles (and sometimes on the front page) from an iphone it immediately kicks me out to the app store – it’s rarely possible to read your website from an iphone at the moment.

• Richard Nikoley on April 6, 2015 at 07:56

Yea, I’ve had the same thing, infrequently. I’ve found that the best way to avoid is let the thing fully load before scrolling or hitting a link within the site. Just Googled around and apparently it’s a widespread issue on WP blogs for both iOS and Android. I’ll pass it along to my techs. Thanks for the reminder.

9. Bryce on April 6, 2015 at 05:15

Are we not entertained?

I don’t see what people are fussing about. Richard is an n=1 machine, to other people’s benefit. Is he offensive as hell? Sure. Get over it. I’m an evangelical and, despite his relentless jabs, I still come back because he has interesting ideas.

I think it boils down to entitlement. People think they deserve something from this blog. They don’t. Read for infotainment, or leave. Why gripe?

10. Travellingbeard on April 6, 2015 at 07:15

I’ll be honest, LC + IF is my current way of eating, mainly because I have a lot of weight to lose. However, I’m keeping in mind that 1) it is similar to a medical intervention, and as such, should probably not be done forever, and 2) occassional digressions a week, by adding starches, is beneficial.

No, I’m definitely not a LC zealot (certain podcasts are starting to grate on my nerves), and once I get a handle on my way of eating for life, meat + veggies + fat + starches will be my default baseline.

At some point, the old dogma of calories in/calories out matters, so the “free pass” message of LC/Keto fat ingestion has messed me up and stalled my weight loss.

11. Tim Maitski on April 6, 2015 at 10:10

My evolution has been very similar to yours. A few years ago I was able to lose 30 pounds in a few months by going low carb and calorie restriction. But I think I lost muscle along the way. I also began to experience being cold like some others mentioned. I always used to have very warm hands but then after my weight loss, a few times after shaking hands, some people began commenting how cold my hands were.

Leangains.com opened my eyes to the possibility that maybe low carb wasn’t the only way. I’ve been doing minimal but consistent weight training for the past 2 years and now at 55 years old, I’m the strongest I’ve ever been, 300 lb bench and 365 lb deadlift at a weight of 205 which is 20 lbs less than my highest weight level. I used to lift a lot in my teens and twenties but never was able to deadlift over 300 pounds.

I have a “fiber shake” and eggs in the morning and lunch and dinner are a meat, vegetable, fruit, and usually lentils, potatoes or rice. By glucose testing, I found that retrograded potatoes or rice still made my sugar levels spike pretty high. But when I add lentils, it keeps the spike much lower. My A1c recently was 4.9 so I think I’m doing well in that regard.

I also take Prescript Assist because it really helps with the athlete’s foot that I’ve been battling with. Last year when I started taking Prescript Assist I noticed that my persistent athlete’s foot suddenly went away. Maybe it was a coincidence? But a few months ago I ran out of Prescript Assist and figured that I’d just not bother with it anymore. But after about two months with no Prescript Assist, the athlete’s foot started coming back. After a few months of putting up with it I broke down and got some more Prescript Assist and in about a week of taking it, the athlete’s foot went away again.

It might not work for everyone and there might not be scientific studies on it but it works for me so that’s what matters to me.

Diets are the same. There isn’t going to be a one size fits all. Be aware of what your options are and start experimenting to find out what works for you. But I guess you always have to be alert to possible long term negatives and adjust accordingly. Be in tune with your body and take notice of little changes that might be early warning signals of something. Be open to change.

I appreciate your blog. I hope you continue writing about diet and nutrition. The field needs someone like you to keep them on their toes.

12. Cool on April 6, 2015 at 11:15

Richard — I love your blog.

When are you gonna (understandably diplomatically) call out Sisson, etc.? You know…for the “carbohydrate curve” and “insiduous weight gain” silliness?

Refresher: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz3WYPnGwlE

He’s a cool guy, I get it. But if this advice is misguided and/or dangerous, we [those that are increasingly seeing the B.S. of all this guru-ness] need to state it so, enough with the equivocation, right?

I’m also wondering why there is not more talk about Kresser’s obituary for the glycemic index here and on other “progressive paleo” or “post-paleo” sites?

• Richard Nikoley on April 6, 2015 at 13:06

Cool:

One thing I want to clarify and make a distinction about is that I don’t typically call out people for being—in my opinion or judgement—wrong about something.

Notice carefully that I’m not calling out Moore or Eades for being wrong or incomplete, or ineffective or whatever. That was all done politely, or gentle jabbing over a long period of time. They incur wrath for being intransigent about it, or condescending or dismissive. Eades especially, with his cavalier “it’s simple biochemistry” BS.

By contrast, Sisson & I just exchanged emails yesterday when I pointed him to new research about something. I got back a long, 4-5 point email where he explained his position which was partly in agreement with the research, with some qualification and in the context of what we were talking about, dose as an important factor. His final sentence was thanking me for thinking of him.

What a contrast, eh?

Mark has come a long way in terms of tubers, resistant starch, and other stuff. He changes his mind and integrates new stuff as he becomes convinced, and it’s understandable that in the context of his rather massive enterprise, things need to go one step at a times, whereas I can just do the fire hydrant thing.

Sound reasonable?

• BTW on April 7, 2015 at 14:41

“What a contrast, eh?”

Yeah it is a contrast.

You feel like Sisson changed his mind because of you.
      You feel like Eades disrespected you because you couldn’t change his mind.

So praise Sisson and curse/belittle/slander Eades.
      Sounds about right.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2015 at 14:54

Nope, Sisson was already aware of the research and the researcher. Moreover, it’s not the first time.

Sisson is honest, Eades is dishonest. My judgment.

• BTW on April 7, 2015 at 15:18

“Sisson is honest, Eades is dishonest. My judgment.”

That is fine if that is the way you see it.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Eades gave you the go ahead to go nuclear on him to create controversy and of course have a public makeup after the dust settles a bit.

But that is just the cynic in me.

• Richard Nikoley on April 7, 2015 at 15:27

I wish it were true, actually. In person, he’s quite congenial and engaging. I tried.

• Cool on April 8, 2015 at 05:52

I actually think that’s a totally fair position, Richard. And I think you’re doing good work in influencing these leading paleos, I hope you keep the pressure up.

The (honest) answer is problematic, though.

Because someone SHOULD be able to, when confronted with the “truth”, be able to report the truth without regard to their enterprise at all.

But that’s the problem; as soon as someone’s selling something, their advice IS suspect.

We all know this. But ought to be reminded of this.

And we all know the Sisson carbohydrate curve is silly. And ought to be screaming this over and over and over. It’s why I can’t recommend his otherwise pretty book. It’s fundamental tenet is FLAWED, unsupported by LOOKING at gazillions of people around the world.

As I’ve pointed out on Kresser’s blog comment section (the death to the Glycemic Index article) — defining food and diets in terms of carbs is very silly. We wouldn’t need a dozen “Are you TOO low carb?” articles if cabphobia wasn’t so ingrained in Paleo 1.0.

The real message of the real food movement should be: “Once you get the artificial crap out of food, once you get sufficient real protein and stop stripping the natural fat away, you can trust your appetite. Up to a point.”

I’m posting, Richard, not expecting/demanding/caring for a response from you. Because I’m not at all putting you on trial or claiming it’s on YOU to “out” Sisson or all the Sisson’s. But I wanna keep saying it, and I want everyone to keep spreading it: Sisson’s Carbohydrate Curve is silly. Let’s have a funeral for it, just like the USDA food pyramid and it’s Low-Fat campaign. Sisson’s Carbohydrate Curve is silly. Sisson’s Carbohydrate Curve is silly.

13. Jed on April 6, 2015 at 12:34

I really knew nothing of Jimmy Moore so I listened to a recent podcast he did on Angelo’s show. The fact that this guy started out at 400 pounds, in my mind, eliminates him from any protocol that he would suggest for anyone. He stands in his own category and would only make sense for him to talk to others who also weigh 3 or 4 hundred pounds. I feel for him. Maybe that’s why he has an audience. A bunch of people feeling sorry for themselves, together, righteous in their suffering, like in a church.

14. Dan Morrison on April 6, 2015 at 12:38

Cool and or Richard- Do you think the Sisson curve is OK for people trying to lose weight? Although I am past the thought of Keto or super low carb, i do think that “lower” carb is best for weight loss if that is an issue. For me to many carbs and it seems to make me feel hungry. This week is my first week of trying the RS thing. I can tell you I had a shake similar to what Richard stated a few months ago , i.e RS, Probiotics, egg, fruit ect, and I was full all morning. I am anxious to see what a month of this does to how I feel and to weight loss. Going to mimic Richard/Brendan (early blog entry) suggestion.

• Richard Nikoley on April 6, 2015 at 13:12

Yea, I think as a temporary intervention, it’s fine—way better though with regular carb-up cycling, like once per week.

• Dan Morrison on April 7, 2015 at 12:37

• golooraam on April 8, 2015 at 08:59

Hi Richard

finally did the old cooled lentils trick…

I topped this muck of cold pinto and ham onto a plate, topped it with 1 chorizo link crumbled and a fried sunny side up egg – to say it was great eatz is an understatement…

also had steamed broccoli (no butter, just salt)

interesting findings – after 1 hour, my BG was 101, after 2 hours 102… pretty interesting as I weighed out 16 ounces of bean/ham muck… plus I slept really nicely and woke up 0.6 lbs lighter (which was the one thing stressing me out was having carbs and weight gain)…

soooo… I’m soaking black beans as we speak

what a great tool and meal when I get sick of just eating meat…

• Richard Nikoley on April 8, 2015 at 09:40

I’m tellin’ ya, man. Potatoes were a tough sell but legumes of all kinds should be easy. Plus, way delicious, and you can put all manner of stuff in a slow cooker with them. One cool way to get a lot of variety are those packages of like 10-15 different bean mixes. And, you can also add more lentils for better effect. Lentils seem to have the most profound BG regulating properties of all of them.

Pretty profound stuff. I predict people are going to feel awfully silly eschewing legumes in the years to come. And hell, even low carbers ought to be able to include them in small portions with meals.

15. Steven on April 6, 2015 at 16:22

I guess I can count my blessings….(I am an atheist)

Imagine if Jesus, Mohamed, L. Ron Hubbard or any of those delusional narcissists and their sycophants had Facebook/Twitter. It would look just like Eades’ feeds and such and all the non-believers would be violently threatened because the non-believers are so wrong.

Nothing says I am right like tossing a death threat!!!

16. Dan Morrison on April 8, 2015 at 07:43

Richard,

In regards to your current eating plan, how often of you incorporate your smoothie into the plan, i.e. have it instead of breakfast or in addition?? If you don’t have the smoothie, do you still talk the 4 Tbls of RS daily or majority of days?

Thanks

• Richard Nikoley on April 8, 2015 at 08:22

Well, the “plan” is to have no plan. Diet of no diet, plan of no plan.

So, in terms of all supplements, I’m purposely very sporadic. I have a gut food mix now:

I’ll typically take 1-2 TBS a few times per week. Same with other stuff like probiotics and the small collection of supplements like D3, K2, Mag, and a few other things.

I’ll be posting my recipe for my powder mix when I get back home next week where I have it written out. I’ve decided against trying to package and sell it.

• Dan Morrison on April 8, 2015 at 10:24

perfect…thanks

17. Ralna on April 9, 2015 at 11:58

Mayday, mayday. Where in the world is Tim Steele? I was hoping to contact him. I am a member of a facebook group, Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group, for people who have been injured by Cipro and other antibiotics in the same class. I know Tim has been there and connected the dots with Gulf War Illness a long time ago. Please, if you experienced adverse reactions to Cipro or Avelox, or Levaquin, or there are new people joining every day who have just had a bomb go off in their body, and they could use some encouragement and help. I am trying to get the word out about the gut stuff but most people can’t comprehend Grace Liu’s blog. A number of people have been severely disabled for years. Some are scared and wish they could die they are in so much pain and suffering and hopeless, tests don’t pinpoint what is wrong. We are working to get the word out and the media reports are starting to snowball. I had a lot of research under my belt, so my husband seems to have recovered relatively quickly after he got horrible tendonitis from 2 pills of Cipro. Please help us Tim or anyone else who’s been in the trenches, with the gut health piece… ralnac@yahoo.com The above is not my website. I’m just an individual.

18. Don on April 15, 2015 at 21:39

This paper may explain why traditional people can eat lots of carbs without ill health

Paper: Comparison with ancestral diets suggests dense acellular carbohydrates promote an inflammatory microbiota, and may be the primary dietary cause of leptin resistance and obesity

Quote: Crucially however, in humans, low-carbohydrate diets spontaneously decrease weight in a way that low-fat diets do not. Furthermore, nutrition transition patterns and the health of those still eating diverse ancestral diets with abundant food suggest that neither glycemic index, altered fat, nor carbohydrate intake can be intrinsic causes of obesity, and that human energy homeostasis functions well without Westernized foods containing flours, sugar, and refined fats. Due to being made up of cells, virtually all “ancestral foods” have markedly lower carbohydrate densities than flour- and sugar-containing foods, a property quite independent of glycemic index. Thus the “forgotten organ” of the gastrointestinal microbiota is a prime candidate to be influenced by evolutionarily unprecedented postprandial luminal carbohydrate concentrations