Los Zacatitos

Should I rent the place, I’m going to be anxious picking up guests at the airport and bringing them back. The 10-mile drive from San Jose Los Cabos to here takes 45-minutes through rough, barren terrain. I can already palpably feel their uncertainty and trepidation.

Where on Earth is he taking us?

Well, pressed for time. More later. Things to sort. For right now, here’s the office. The Internet smokes. BTW, this bar and grill, like everything here, is completely off grid. You should see it lit up at night, though.

IMG 3140

Here’s where I slept last night, just to the left.

CSL4

Watched bees pollinate cactus flower this morning, after being awoken by the noise of waring or playful birds—haven’t decided which, yet. Lots and lots of birds. I’m sure I’ll miss waking up to the noise of traffic and pricks with loud motorcycle soon enough, though.

1. Austin on April 23, 2015 at 10:11

Wow! That view sure beats wall to wall asphalt.

I love this idea of ‘roughing’ it in style. Far enough away but still wifi to stay connected when you want.

After watching Survivor for so many years and all this talk of getting away from it all is really starting to break me of the cubicle mindset.

• AnarkhosRRJ on April 23, 2015 at 11:41

When you’re no longer a slave to social norms, money and style in particular, and take control of your freedom, there isn’t anything rough about it. I was amazed at how happy and liberated I felt when I let go of all that bullshit. Life is a fucken breeze now and feels worth it. Even when its “hard” it’s satisfying. Wish I would have started right out of high school.

2. tatertot on April 23, 2015 at 12:09

Is there glass in those windows? What a cool place!

• Richard Nikoley on April 23, 2015 at 16:09

No glass, Tim. But, compared to Alaska, the mosquiots are chihuahuas to Great Danes. Mexican bug bites only make me itch for about 30 minutes, so my attitude is let them fly in. They fly out, too.

Learned that in France. The French don’t use screen doors or windows.

• tatertot on April 23, 2015 at 21:23

Well, just try to pretend there is not a Chupacabra out there waiting for you to fall asleep! I hear if you sprinkle sugar all around your bed, the Chupacabra will be scared away.

3. bioking on April 24, 2015 at 02:20

Richard, re: your comment about “where is he taking us”, if you get a chance, watch the Australian movie Wolf Creek. That very feeling you describe becomes very, very real in this movie.