Done Deal. Moving to Los Zacatitos, Baja Sur, Mexico. Many Pictures

Just sealed the deal. While the lease begins May 1, through October, I’ll likely not get back down there until mid-May or so (just got back here to CA yesterday). Beatrice and doggies will arrive mid-June. $650 per month. I’ll just let these photos do the talking. Oh, one thing: the fruit on the fire pit? The melon is for the chipmunks (way cute tiny, adorable, very shy). The citrus is for the colorful birds.

P1030108

P1030102

P1030103

P1030104

P1030107

P1030108

P1030110

So as you may have noticed, there are two double-occupancy palapas-syle bungalows on the property. So, once I get settled in, I’ll probably rent those out in limited fashion, 3-7 nights: “Bed and Maybe Breakfast.” It would only be for kindred spirits competent enough to get their asses down to Los Zacatitos without a million fucking questions.

How’s that for a sale’s pitch?

BTW, the place is off grid, solar powered. Everyone’s is, here, even the $5 million houses. My next post will be about what I learned about off-grid living, by living off grid for 5 days.

1. Jed on April 28, 2015 at 11:24

Looks like the perfect place to start outlining that novel you’ve been itching to write.

• Richard Nikoley on April 28, 2015 at 11:50

You’re right, Jed.

I actually picked up a Clive Cussler book off the “book exchange” at the pub and started reading it (haven’t read one of his adventure mysteries in 30 years—I have a bro who loves them).

I’m chewing on it.

2. Gordon on April 28, 2015 at 12:33

Very nice. Looking forward to hearing about the off grid experience.

3. Kevin on April 28, 2015 at 17:55

Will your rat terriers do well in that environment?

• Richard Nikoley on April 28, 2015 at 18:51

Yea, there’s lots of dogs down there small to large and they all seem to do just fine.

4. Steve on April 29, 2015 at 09:44

So I’ve been looking at some maps. Los Zacatitos appears to be along the East coast. But I don’t see any ocean front views in your recent pictures, so I assume you are inland a bit? How far to the beach, nearest neighbor, and Zac’s? I’ll cop to being just plain curious….

• Richard Nikoley on April 29, 2015 at 09:48

2-minte drive, 8-10 minute walk.

Actually, I prefer that. Where I slept, plenty enough surf sound. I wake up to tons of birds. Bea did a morning video of that, I’ll post when she gets off her butt and sends me the file.

5. Phil on October 14, 2015 at 20:42

Looks beautiful. I’ve been to San Jose Del Cabo numerous times. As I understand this is about 5 miles east. No power or water as I understand though right? How do you deal with the ‘no services’ thing when you have guests and all

• Richard Nikoley on October 15, 2015 at 08:09

Yea, more like 8-10 miles east, past the cement factory near what I call “The Jesus Thing” on the top of the hill.

Power is by solar panel and batteries and I never had a problem. Water is by truck delivery and I had 5,000 liter storage. It’s not really a place where you’re going to have a lot of guests for an extended time. My brother was there for about 4 days and was able to run his Cpap all night, along with a fan as well.