Lamb Shanks Sous Vide

Well, what do you think of this dish I made a couple of nights ago?

IMG 3116
Click on the image for hi-res

Well, lamb shanks are one of my favorites and I usually braise them. This time, sous vide and they were perhaps the best ever. Only, I didn’t make them, only reheated them. Turns out my parents-in-law had a package on hand, made by Cuisine Solutions in the freezer. My first thought was ‘oh, pre-prepared, packaged food; bet theres a list of ingredients 4″ long, mostly unpronounceable.’ Then I looked more closely. First clue was it was cooked sous vide, is individually packaged, and all you need to is reheat (I defrosted by cold water immersion a few hours).

LAMB SHANK, TOMATOES, PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS, CABERNET SAUVIGNON WINE, WATER, BEEF BROTH CONCENTRATE (beef broth, salt), SHALLOTS, GARLIC, RICE STARCH, VEGETABLE OIL (canola oil, extra virgin olive oil), XANTHAN GUM, OREGANO LEAVES.

Not too bad at all. For reheating once defrosted, I brought a pot of water to a boil, turned off the heat, waited a few minutes, then put in the pouches and covered for about an hour. About half way through. I made some mashed potatoes. It’s completely silly to not enjoy this on a bed of slightly buttered, salted, and peppered mashed potatoes.

They have a whole bunch of sous vide foods, and they’re available at Costco, BJ’s, Wegmans and Whole Foods. Enjoy. They’re fantastic.

1. BigRob on April 8, 2015 at 14:22

Looks tasty,

I wouldn’t want to do this all the time. But with the new Sous Vide options coming out for the home cook, this gives me lots of ideas for nutritious freezer foods to be prepped at a moments notice.

2. Bay Area Sparky on April 9, 2015 at 18:52

This is bound to cause some un-eadesy-ness.

🙂

3. bioking on April 10, 2015 at 02:11

Since you’re in the business of spruiking products lately, why not try Sission’s new pro-biotic and let us know what you think?

• Richard Nikoley on April 10, 2015 at 07:38

I’ve already added it to the Azon store, will place an order soon as I get home in a couple of days, and will try it out. I’m also calling attention to it in a post I’m working on.

All in all, a good move on Mark’s part would be my initial assessment. There’s a good anecdote in the comment thread from someone who’d been n it for a while, and comparing to his experience with Prescript Assist.

• John on April 10, 2015 at 08:54

I’ll probably order some soon. Price is reasonable. It must have been made with knowledge of the “big 3” promoted on this blog. And I’d be supporting Mark. Who knows how long it would have taken me to escape conventional dietary wisdom, had I not googled “saturated fat healthy” on a whim back in 2009 to see if there were differing opinions. MDA was on the first page of results back then.

4. Lindsey on April 10, 2015 at 12:39

That looks freakin’ amazing.

5. Amy on April 13, 2015 at 13:46

Primal Flora: it’s okay. Nothing earth-shattering. I got more revved up from Prescript Assist. Plus Sacchromyces Boulardii (sp?) tends to constipate me. Other’s mileage may vary.

I rotate it with other soil-based, just for variety.

I also get most of what’s in it from other probiotics in my rotation, for whatever that’s worth. I went hog-wild and bought a buttload (pun intended) of stuff a few months ago. Still working my way through it all.

6. ChocoTaco369 on April 14, 2015 at 09:27

Anytime I see the words “canola oil” my appetite goes out the window. “Not too bad” compared to most stuff in your grocer’s freezer, but I wouldn’t go for it.

And the bigger reason, it’s probably American lamb. I. Hate. American. Lamb. It’s gross. Tasteless. Compare corn-force-fed American lamb to the grassfed Australian and/or New Zealand counterpart (which, ironically, is actually less expensive). The meat is usually much larger, light red in color with bright white fat compared to the smaller, burgundy-colored, ever so slightly yellow-tinted fat counterpart. The flavor is unmistakable. American lamb tastes like USDA eye round beef. Flavorless. I like my stinky Australian/NZ lamb!