Home Battery and Solar Leapfrog Point of Order: TESLA is now a player

I understand it is very, very difficult for 99.99999999999% of you to even imagine living off grid. People are generally NOT interested in this revolutionary, earth changing disruption. They just want to pay their power-comany, municipal-monopoly by-grace-of-state-force bill and be done with it, just like their grandparents did.

But, 0.000000001% of people change the world and the rest always just go along as crash test dummies.

To reiterate, from that last post:

~~~

Now, blow your mind. All three of these projects by the Campos Leckie Studio architects (in the true sense of arTchitecture) are in Los Zacatitos.

Zacatitos 03. Running On Battery

Zacatitos 03 is my landmark to turn left up the road to my place, 300 yards up the main road.

~~~

Want another mind blow, dumb children? Available for pre-order, for off grid living, from none other than Tesla: POWERWALL – TESLA HOME BATTERY.

Powerwall is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels, or when utility rates are low, and powers your home in the evening. It also fortifies your home against power outages by providing a backup electricity supply. Automated, compact and simple to install, Powerwall offers independence from the utility grid and the security of an emergency backup.

Looks they’ve gone all out, targeting on-grid residents.

Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy need, up to 90 kWh total for the 10 kWh battery and 63 kWh total for the 7 kWh battery.

Or, just dumb along, like almost every relatively disgusting element of “humanity” does. Vote, and wait for edicts to follow.

Go HILLARY!!!!! What a fucking laf.

Update: Elon Musk debuts the thing.

…If you complain that he does gov subsidies, what’s new? in the end, it’s the tech that’s lasting.

1. John on May 1, 2015 at 11:58

I’d been wondering what David Simon is thinking about everything going on in Baltimore. I found this interesting. https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 15:17

Hey John, you know, with so much to read I often pull the plug when I know I’m in the choir.

I did read long enough to get a tidbit and made note of for a future post: “Probable Cause is Bullshit.”

It has become a bromide where all the while, it was just a tool of the state with as many options as a Swiss Army knife.

2. tatertot on May 1, 2015 at 12:51

It’s all relative, eh? If Tesla makes it possible to generate 15KW easily and cheaply, everyone will live off the grid, there’s be no reason to be on the grid, but our lives would even get cushier. The only reason I don’t have more electrical conveniences in my house is because of my electric bill. If I had no electric bill, and unlimited power, holy shit, I’d hate to think what my house would be like…electric heaters in every room, AC on because the heaters are too hot, bright lights everywhere, 2 hot tubs.

Did you catch the Bloom Box phenomenon a few years back? A company invented a small, no moving parts, generator that runs off propane and works like a solar panel but uses small heat from propane to produce electricity at the point of use. The envisioned putting these in every neighborhood. No power lines running cross-country.

The last I heard, Google bought out Bloom and is planning on selling power just like they sell internet. Now that would be cool!

But, the point is, you are correlating living ‘off-the-grid’ with roughing it. There are loads of people here in Alaska living off the grid with just a wood stove and gas lanterns. Now that’s roughing it! Solar panels are crap here for 6 months of the year.

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 13:34

All true Tim, but Genies can’t be kept in bottles. You know Air Force pilots/astronauts. 🙂

I’m really speaking to the astute who would not do Living Wild Alaska off grid, but might consider small scale convenience as per my previous post.

Of course, my evil plan is that all the smartest people detach and make popcorn on the gas stove whilst watching old paradigms and assumptions crumble.

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 13:38

…BTW, one of the funniest things I saw on one of those off-grid Alaska shows was a man and his wife tread through snow for miles to a hunting cabin. They’re going to trap. They have to dig snow off the roof, get the stove lit, all that stuff.

You know what the big luxury was? The foam butt-gasket hanging on the wall in the living room. I couldn’t stop lafing.

3. bob r on May 1, 2015 at 14:11

Tongue-in-cheek I’m sure but 0.000000001% of 7 billion people is 0.0007 people, i.e., a *very* small fraction of 1 person.

“They just want to pay their power-comany, municipal-monopoly by-grace-of-state-force bill and be done with it, just like their grandparents did.

Or, just dumb along, like almost every relatively disgusting element of ‘humanity’ does.”

Possibly I reading you wrong but I infer from this that you think the rest of us are “dumb” if we pass on this product. Let’s do a little “back of the envelope” calculation: assume the 7 kWh battery is “magical” and it doesn’t actually cost anything to charge it while it provides 7 kWh of power *every* day. Where I am electricity is ~$0.10 per kWh which for 7 kWh per day would be $0.70 per day. The battery cost $3000 and would hit the “break even” point (as compared to being “on the grid”) after 4286 days (~11 years, 9 months). For a battery that is “guaranteed” for *10* years. Even leaving out that the total system cost is significantly greater than just the $3000 battery and that the cost for *charging* the battery is *not* zero (and it takes *more* than 7 kWh *in* to get 7 kWh *out*), that doesn’t sound like a very good deal to me.

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 14:33

Bob r

On the first point, my keyboard doesn’t know when to stop.

Second point, I actually agree that this is a tough sell for those on the grid. Right now, people are very fine with just a bank of solar designed to sell power at peak and live off the grid non-peak. Works well for lots, including my brother who had a “free lease” install last summer.

That said, the ultimate goal for me is off grid, which of course I’m doing. The place I just leased has 2 large panels and six heavy duty batteries in series. I stressed tested by having every light on in the house one night for several hours and the amp output didn’t budge.

Remember when cell phones were only for the rich? Part of the deal here is that it will open up electrical services to tons of remote areas where it’s not worth it to string power poles (or build a power plant).

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 18:32

And Bob r, I’m a sower of seeds. I know full well there are astute people in the choir. I give them the respect to know who they are without me having to state it explicitly in every post.

• Bret on May 1, 2015 at 19:12

Bob, I would also add that nearly no equipment lives out its existence without needing repairs. I listen to a radio guy, Clark Howard, who is always excited about the electric power breakthroughs. Though I detest monopolies just as much as the next guy, I aim to see which is the best deal. New technology is almost always extremely expensive at first, and its expense diminishes over time as experimentation yields efficiency and capitalism yields price competition. I think we’re not quite there yet with solar, though I expect that to change in about a decade or so.

• Bret on May 1, 2015 at 19:13

Electric cars, and solar home. Blah. Maybe I should proofread before hitting the “post” button.

• Richard Nikoley on May 1, 2015 at 19:49

Well, I want an electric bar and a solar gnome.

• Wenchypoo on May 4, 2015 at 09:07

Me too!

4. Woodwose on May 3, 2015 at 08:45

Makes one wonder if there is still “game changers” in the pipeline of technological progress? Off-grid living bing one of them and Off-World another. http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

5. Wenchypoo on May 24, 2015 at 06:36
    • Richard Nikoley on May 24, 2015 at 07:59

Very much like the minimalist trailer I used to have, the TADA, though without the solar and wind, though it did have limited battery, gas, water, and a flush toilet & shower. Only 2,200 pounds and I could tow it behind my car.