A Completely Different Sort of Podcast Interview For Me

I sympathize with those who don’t really listen to many of my podcast interviews anymore, since in so many since way back, I get asked the same questions and respond largely the same way.

I wanted this one, with Adam Smith, Prymal Radio, to be different and I think we achieved that. One way to look at it is an accounting how wrong I think I’ve been about so much over the years. I also had my Fitbit on while I was pacing the house on Skype, via my phone, and I walked 5,000 steps during the interview (I’d told Adam 4,000, but it turned out it was 5 once I manually synched).

Here’s the main points.

[10:00] There is such a thing as essential carbohydrates

[14:40] The Japanese people are waiting to see what happens to the American children as they grow up on GMO foods.

[20:35] A lot of autoimmune diseases are linked to gut health.

[24:40] Richard talks about FitBit

[36:30] Probiotics has helped with Richard’s gut health, but he often finds himself hungry with no appetite.

[40:10] Read the ingredient list. Keep food simple.

[41:30] What are some of the common mistakes people do when trying to lose weight?

[53:50] Cultures who live the longest eat plenty of carbohydrates.

[56:10] People initially feel good when they eat a low carb diet, but then afterwards it catches up with them.

Here’s the link to the show at Adam’s site, and here’s the iTunes link.

1. flyingjay on May 16, 2015 at 16:03

Great podcast, Richard. I was actually reading your LeanGains posts last week, then saw the recent post on back surgery, and wondered if there was a connection between the two. In this podcast you intimated there might be (I think you metioned musco-skeletal issues resulting from or related to heavy deadlifting). Is that accurate? The reason I ask is because I’ve been doing heavy deads and squats recently, and love them, but I’m terrified of doing permanent damage to my back. Any thoughts on this?

• Adam Smith on May 18, 2015 at 12:10

FlyingJay,

Glad you enjoyed the podcast. As far as doing damage to your back via heavy deads and squats, there shouldn’t be a risk as long as you are doing the following:
      1) Form. Not just looking in the mirror, but having someone who is experienced and knows the movement well. They can often point out things you never noticed before.
      2) You let yourself recover. If you don’t let your muscles recover properly, you can risk damage to the back. Just make sure you are accounting for the extra strain and using active recovery, foam rollers, stretching, etc.
      3) Your muscles are balanced. This is the #1 way people get injured. If you squat and notice you favor 1 side, it’s time to balance the muscle groups. Here’s a link to a FMS article: http://goo.gl/cFeAPb also, Tim Ferriss’s 4 Hour Body has a great section about how to balance muscles.

Hope this helps,
      Adam

• Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2015 at 19:56

Actually, I’m more convinced that the DLs and perhaps squats had something to do with a cervical herniation I got back then, but the arm & shoulder pain resolved on its own.

For the lumbar, better explanation is genetic / congenital since my dad and two of three brothers all had exact same herniation, same spot, same butt, hip and leg pain. Discectomy worked for all of them and so far, 10 days out, appears to be working for me.

2. tatertot on May 17, 2015 at 13:01

Just listened. Quite a smorgasbord of topics there! You know, I feel sorry for newbies to all of this sometimes, but we were newbies once, too. Back when we started it was all about micronutrients, macronutrients, and exercise. I just threw away 4 or 5 bottles of random vitamins I bought in 2011 because some idiot blogger swore it was what I needed for optimal health.

I do think that the topics du jour lately are much better advice than what we were getting 5-7 years ago. Plus, we’re eating BEANS! Whodathunkit?

Now…what the hell is the password, you asshole? It’s not FTA or tatertot.

• Adam Smith on May 18, 2015 at 12:13

Tatertot,

Yes these topics can get quite in-depth. Over the years you acquire so much information, but you don’t realize it until you talk to someone who knows next to nothing.

The best thing (I’ve found) is to do your own personal testing. Also, forums where people get together and figure things out seems to be a bit more reliable than bloggers, since it’s more of a collective mind sort of thing.

Adam

• bioking on May 18, 2015 at 15:36

Hey Tatertot, Richard, what happened to that book you cunts were writing then weren’t then were again?

• Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2015 at 15:39

In a week I’m moving to Mexico and from there, I’ll have zero other distractions but spear fishing and will be finishing it up swiftly.

• Richard Nikoley on May 18, 2015 at 20:00

Hey tater Tim.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Yea, amazing how far we’ve come since the original potato hack.

In terms of sups, I’m mostly just back to D, K2, and Mag.

I think beans are going to turn out to be the biggest “Paleo” blind spot of all. I’ll be posting about an amazing bean soup recipe soon.

3. Ruth Ludeman on May 20, 2015 at 16:51

Mr. Nickoley, I saw your youtube video on cold water therapy where you were in a rubbermade watering trough. Can you please let me know how many gallons that particular watering trough holds. I want to buy one but they come in manydifferent sizes as you know. Please email me back as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

• Richard Nikoley on May 20, 2015 at 16:54

Hi Ruth.

I’m almost positive it was the 150 gal Rubbermade (I sold it in a move some months back, and soon I’ll be ocean swimming every day). Fit me perfectly.