Rare Newsletter Update

Haven’t done one in months, but as a lot is changing in life, thought I might toy with putting one out there every few weeks to a month and see how it goes.

Latest Issue. Topics covered:

• Everything has changed
  • I love paleo but I’m not really Paleo
  • I’ve embraced lots of starch in the diet
  • I had a public dispute with Dr. Mike Eades …And Mike and I buried that hatchet
  • Are you eating enough toxins to optimize health?
  • FODMAPs, Prebiotics & Arms Dealers, probiotics & Mercenaries, and Uganda
  • I’m moving to Mexico, tip of the Baja.

On the last point, less than 6 days from departure to Mexico for a minimum of 5 months. Again, link to the Newsletter. From there, you can access archives. My series on “The Milk Diet” might interest some.

1. TheGuy on May 19, 2015 at 12:34

Hi Richard

Have a nice travel to Mexico. 🙂

Thanks a lot for your (and Tim’s) help on the hole RS thing and for warn people on the ”keto4life” bulshit.

Keep up the good work.

Best,
    TG

2. rob on May 19, 2015 at 16:03

And cunts.

3. Natasha on May 19, 2015 at 22:49

Good summary of the changes.

I “discovered” the milk diet last summer (same website) and I was pretty excited. But it took a while to find a source of raw milk. I have to cross a border to get it. I figured the only way I could do it was to get a freezer and stock up with enough milk for 7-10 days. So, the experiment has been on hold.

Fortuitously, I just got a small freezer!!

So what’s your opinion on this now? How down it fit with the heathy feeding or appropriate starving of gut bugs?

Thanks,
    Natasha

• Richard Nikoley on May 20, 2015 at 07:16

Hmm, not sure about freezing milk.

I’ve had raw milk easily last up to about 2 weeks in the fridge, no problem. It’s pasteurized that spoils rather quickly.

• John on May 20, 2015 at 08:30

Organic Pastures (a raw milk dairy in California) will ship their milk frozen. I asked the workers at the hub about this, and they mentioned that it would keep for at least a month, and that many people will stock up when they have a short date sale (when the sell by date is coming up), and will freeze and use that way. They also said that freezing doesn’t kill off the living organisms in the milk. I have frozen their milk before, and it did keep, although I preferred it when it’s only been refrigerated.

• John on May 20, 2015 at 10:53

I grew up with ice cubes in my milk. Strangely, this makes the milk taste creamier. Putting the milk in the freezer seems to separate the milk. there is a sweet layer that appears on top. Still, this is literally “ice cold milk”!

4. Jeff on May 20, 2015 at 11:51

Quick question regarding the place in Mexico. I know you went into detail about the power, septic, water, etc. off the gird. I’m curious about what you’re doing for internet access (posting and such)? Are you using your cell as a wireless hotspot? Is there a place you hit up for WiFi? If you had mentioned it in the post about the place, I missed it. Thanks.

• Austin on May 20, 2015 at 12:07

He said there is a line of sight tower setup for internet. I have a similar setup in rural midwest that includes a small dish on my end pointed to a larger dish on a tower. I think he said it was $700 a year up front for pretty fast service. I pay $360 a year after setup but limited to only 1 mb down and .5 mb up. I don’t think he has cell coverage at the house but up the road he does.

• Richard Nikoley on May 20, 2015 at 12:13

Yep, Austin called it correct. Not sure the speed, but folks who have it say they have no issues watching Netflix and stuff, using Skype video, etc.

Other cool thing is I’ll be dealing with the owner of the provider company directly, another xpat.

5. John on May 20, 2015 at 13:16

Only mildly related – that Doctor’s Best Magnesium comes in tablet form. From a breakdown and absorption perspective, are tablets truly incomparable to capsules? I can’t find much non-hearsay out there except a comparison done with folate tabs.