I Dare You To Not Make This Your Staple: Mixed Bean & Polish Sausage Soup

This is an effort to pay back Angelo Coppola and Stephan Guyenet; both in terms of a recipe for leurs-mêmes, but also to pay it forward to you, because it really hits a lot of the bases they cover in a podcast that you’re missing out if you don’t take the time to listen to.

…Frankly, it took me three days to get through it, but what that means is that even though I got interrupted dozens of times, I always came back, rewound a few minutes to re-acquire the beat, and could do nothing else but take in every really sane and enlightening moment. Yea, I have 2 or three quibbles with Stephan, mais pas suffisamment merveilleuse to make any big deal about, so they remain forgotten.

Just do yourself a favor enormement-like, and take it in.

Then, make this, eat some every day until you run out, then make another pot and keep doing that ad infinitum.

Bean Soup

This began as a polish sausage and cabbage soup courtesy of mom. It was so simple and could be done in about 20-30 minutes on boil: a 1lb polish chopped up, 1/2 to 1 head of cabbage, an onion and a large can of chopped tomatoes, cover with water and boil. Done, except season to taste (salt & pepper).

My mods:

1. About 1-2 cups of standard 10-15 bean/lentil/split pea mix, which I usually get from the bins at a market that displays some modicum of care beyond dollars
  2. a 12 oz – 1 lb Polska Kielbasa, but I use artisan stuff from Whole Foods, or a market with local products
  3. 1 quart of beef, chicken, or vegetable stock, usually Kitchen Basics because its basically the best, “organic” notwithstanding.
  4. 1 medium to large onion, chopped
  5. 2-3 large carrots, chopped
  6. 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped (I used red this time, but green is fine)
  7. 3-4 celery, but the least of the ingredients so if I have on hand, it goes in but if not, no deal killer
  8. 1 large (28oz can) diced tomatoes. Most important ingredient for flavor. I once forgot about it in the above, proto recipe and it was tasteless.
  9. You can add a clove, 2 or 3 of crushed garlic. Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

Toss the beans in the bottom of a slow cooker, add the stock, put it on high. Then do everything else and add it on top as you chop, slice, and dice. add enough water at the end to barely cover. Realize that as veggies cook, they give up moisture.

Be careful to leave the beans on the bottom so they area always immersed in liquid. This way, about 3-4 hours on high in the slow cooker, they’re tender.

It’s crazy good comfort food, so filling, so satisfying, great gut food, tasty, has polish sausage, etc.

…BTW, the bread in the pic is artisan French baguette (Acme) non-fortified organic and I’m telling you it makes a difference. Never gives me heartburn.

Update: In the Wall Street JournalWant Great Longevity and Health? It Takes a Village. “The secrets of the world’s longest-lived people include community, family, exercise and plenty of beans.”

More than 65% of what people in the blue zones ate came from complex carbohydrates: sweet potatoes in Okinawa, Japan; wild greens in Ikaria, Greece; squash and corn in Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula. Their diet consists mainly of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and other carbohydrates. They eat meat but only small amounts, about five times a month, usually on celebratory occasions.

The cornerstone of every longevity diet in the world was the humble bean. One five-country study showed that beans were the only food that predicted a longer life—for each 20-gram serving (about two tablespoons) eaten a day, the chance of dying dropped by 8%. Fava beans in Sardinia, black beans in Costa Rica, lentils in Ikaria, soybeans in Okinawa. Seventh-Day Adventists, America’s longest-lived subculture, eat all kinds of beans, taking their cue from God’s injunction, in the book of Genesis, to eat the fruits of “seed-bearing plants.”

1. Bay Area Sparky on May 23, 2015 at 11:26

Sweetie is running out to pick up kielbasa, cabbage, and legumes. We already have the tomatoes and merely-poix ingredients.

Our unseasonably cool and overcast spring makes this an even more attractive meal.

2. Hertfordshire Building on May 24, 2015 at 02:03

Tried making this this morning, wow! A real treat for the taste buds !

3. Angelo on May 23, 2015 at 12:33

Thanks, Richard. Looking forward to giving this a try soon. I’d say, “Paid In Full,” but as I haven’t tried it yet… 😉

4. bioking on May 23, 2015 at 15:47

You dared me not to, so I didn’t. I win. Next challenge please!

5. bioking on May 23, 2015 at 15:52

How ironic that the Lord’s good book told you about beans all along. Maybe you shouldn’t have been so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water hey Richard? Jesus was trying to save you and you didn’t know it!

Praise the Lord and his seed bearing plants!

• Beans McGrady on May 23, 2015 at 16:26

Guess I’ll go find a girl to rape and get a wife too.
      derp.

• Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2015 at 17:18
    • bioking on May 23, 2015 at 17:44

Go fuck yourself Beans. American’s have a fucked ability to detect sarcasm. I play on this for my own amusement 🙂

• Beans McGrady on May 24, 2015 at 08:40

Written sarcasm is almost universally recognized as difficult to detect.
      America is a pair of continents, I am a United Station.
      I stand by my derp.

6. bioking on May 23, 2015 at 18:34

Btw Richard, you’ll never be able to pay Angelo back. You, like me, probably owe that cunt our lives.

• Richard Nikoley on May 23, 2015 at 19:23

Ha, actually, if you could see under the hood, we,ve been pushing each other forward for a while. I think it began with us both deciding we would no longer pay travel, room, board and speak at conferences for free. That was a couple of years ago and we’ve been sharing life enhancing ideas every since, with zero regard to the merchants of Paleo.

7. kxmoore on May 23, 2015 at 18:47

I make similar soups. Good kielbasa is a great starting point. I like adding some spli peas and rutabaga, maybe some curry powder. I make it on the stove in a big pot. In 1 hour i’ve got meals for days. Yum.

8. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on May 23, 2015 at 19:07

looks yummy, more like a stew than soup tho.
    i found some sour dough spelt bread so maybe i’ll try some

9. Darin on May 25, 2015 at 08:16

I see Paul Jaminet does not recommend beans:

“Do not eat calorie-rich legumes. Peas and green beans are fine. Soy and peanuts should be absolutely excluded. Beans might be acceptable with suitable preparation, but we recommend avoiding them.”

I now Paul has been getting some love on this site lately so am curious to your opinion on his recommendation of avoiding beans?

10. MissMcGillicuddy on May 25, 2015 at 16:59

Save your money on the Blue Zones book.

If you’re middle age or older, just eat what your grandparents ate.
    If you’re a young adult, find out what your great grandparents ate and eat that.

Done. Easy. Maybe I add 50 or so pages of recipes at the end of my book, I can sell them for $15/each.
    Already have my title: The Grandparents Diet.

• FF on June 4, 2015 at 00:59

You forgot: “and move like them”. I will charge 200$ for this sentence.

11. Bay Area Sparky on June 3, 2015 at 17:32

Making it right now, Richard. Make sure you’re on the lookout for some good seafood stews down there.