I Have Off The Grid Internet Now

IMG 3272

Battery operated.

Ubiquitous, reliable sunshine gets stored from 4 solar panels into 7 truck batteries during every day. Lets me run lights, internet, computers, water pump…even a fan: because it’s not hot…it’s fucking hot. But this line of sight deal into the network smokes. So far, way better than endless video steaming spinning wheels on Comcast Xfinity Anywhere Bay Area California—who’re simply just quasi-monopoly frauds, now—protected from competition, in no rush to actually deliver on the promises they spend $100 million + in advertising per year to lie to you about, all with the blessing of your municipalities and fed whores you actually take the trouble to stand in line to vote for, getting your 1/300 millionth say in your own affairs like fucking wankers.

So, this is all now kinda the last bit, from where I begin crafting new simple habits and write about the struggle. Bro David left yesterday. It was beyond great for us to be completely just the two of us: Baja 1,000 in 18 hrs, and then 4 nights here at the new place. I’m 54, so he’s been in my face for about 51 years and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love and adore that man. So different from me, but also so similar on levels important to me.

But now: Tout seul.

1. Rob on June 2, 2015 at 15:45

Waiting for a sunset pic, Rich!

• Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2015 at 15:52

OK, hadn’t thought about it but it’s now on list.

Good idea.

…Currently, I’ve been trying to snag pics of birds. It’s a fucking bird cage here every morning, and I exacerbate by tossing out all fruit rinds, peels, leftovers, even a bit of fresh now & then.

2. JD on June 2, 2015 at 19:32

I was going to say it would be nice to have a turnout of 300 million, but then I thought about it and another 200 million dumb asses participating in our democracy isn’t going to help things.

3. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on June 2, 2015 at 22:04
  4. Amy on June 3, 2015 at 11:07

Har har har re: the characterization of internet service as a “simple habit”. Only in the 21st century.

Love it. And envious. But not in the bad way.

5. DLunsford on June 3, 2015 at 14:25
    • Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2015 at 16:01

Yea, typical sensational piece from MSM. If you dig into the actual various weather service data, you find that the waters within 250 miles of Cabo are not warm enough to feed a hurricane and in fact, it quickly pulls energy from it, so even if it hits, more likely to be a tropical storm or cat 1, and if it veers off to the west, just heavy rain.

Nonetheless, prudent measures will be taken.

6. David on June 3, 2015 at 18:17

Had a great time and the perfect adventure to spend with my brother, whom I love and adore as well. He can be a real pain in the ASS, but that’s my brother.
    After experience the drive through Baja, I think we need to plan a 4 Brother Adventure Trip.

7. CCL on June 4, 2015 at 07:43

Richard, thought this may keep you busy down there, what do you make of it?

• Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2015 at 08:11

Breath CO2 is a by-product of metabolic fat oxidation.

The article almost reads like a spoof. The only fat you’re going to be burning by breathing deeply is by doing something that makes you huff and puff.

8. pzo on June 5, 2015 at 06:09

So what is your “line of sight network” about? A municipal grid? “Borrowing” someone else’s wifi? (Been doing that for six years! A directional antenna and a bidirectional wifi amplifier, and good neighbors. Proudly depriving Verizon or Comcast my dollars.)

• Richard Nikoley on June 5, 2015 at 06:21

Yep directional antenna that hits equipment on a nearby mountaintop. Owned and operated by a Zacatitos expat of 20 years.

So far so good. Zero outages, I can use Google hangouts along with my Google voice number to make and receive calls on my iPhone as if I were in cell coverage (and my cell number is forwarded to the Gvoice number). Watched a few episodes of something last night on Netflix upstairs where because the place is cement, the WiFi is weak. Nonetheless, three hours without a single buffering pause.

9. pzo on June 5, 2015 at 06:14

I spent a week or more in a little Mexican village two hours from the closest paved road. It was up on the Continental Divide. They had a solar powered water pump from a well hundreds of feet down into the valley, the water then put in a large tank and distributed by gravity to the homes.

All of the homes had solar panels, a big battery, and at the least some small fluorescent lights. Some had old fashioned “bag” cell phones with a directional antenna pointed to Hermosina (??) seventy miles away up on a pole.

And no Anglo tourists required.

• Richard Nikoley on June 5, 2015 at 06:37

Yep. There are some super modest setups here, basically like a travel trailer with a palapas shading it and the little extra from exterior water tanks either on gravity feed or a pressure sensitive pump. They dig a big hole for sewer and cover it, with the black/grey water hose down in there.

Then there’s the middle class, like mine, and even those can vary. I’ve got 4 panels and 7 batteries, like marine style batteries that can handle complete discharges. 12,000 liters of water, 150 gal propane tank to fuel the refrigerator, water heater, and stove/oven. It easily runs an oscillating fan next to the bed all night and in the morning, no problem running my 27″ Apple Cinema display off my MBA.

Upper middle class could be 20 panels and 20 of the big, deep cycle batteries with automatic diesel generator backup in a sound-proof enclosure, small swimming pool. This essentially permits a normal size house to pretty much be as normal. Things with heating elements can be used, like coffee makers, ceiling fans going 24/7, and even a full size electric refrigerator, washer, drier, Big screen TV, Big Ass stereo system with monster speakers, etc. My expat friend down the street has a setup like this. But you’re talking tens of thousands.

Then there are the rich and mega-rich, with huge pools, stunning architecture, big homes. Complete “normal” living. One place on the beach down here was a $7 million project. Apparently, the owner is some high powered Chicago attorney and it’s rumored that the 8 mil was 10% of his bonus check that year.

• pzo on June 5, 2015 at 08:12

Yes, deep cycle batteries are mandatory. The maintenance free batteries of the last 30 years all but die after only one deep discharge. Unlike the ones we had to maintain by adding water.

• Richard Nikoley on June 5, 2015 at 08:40

Exactly. In fact, I went into town with the expat I mentioned (Canadian) the other day and he needed distilled water. He buys it from a dentist. I guess dentists use distilled water in their practice. Anyway, it was 10 water cooler jugs worth.

10. Rob on June 6, 2015 at 03:53

Have you ever considered an info blackout for a period of time? No news, or anything from the outside world for a few weeks?
    Seems like it would be an interesting experiment; a total immersion in your environment.

• Richard Nikoley on June 6, 2015 at 06:44

It’s remote enough already that I really don’t have any desire to totally cut off. Besides, about 3-4 of the 8 years in the Navy was at sea, back when there were only official communications, only news that mattered to operations, and mail was sporadic, sometimes 2-3 weeks before it would find us.

My favorite day at sea was the first day, because that’s the day you get away from everyone who’s trying to help you. And always remember: a friend in need is….a pest!

11. Wenchypoo on June 12, 2015 at 08:04

Questions:

1. Are you free from NSA/telecom provider snooping?

2. Is this SATELLITE internet, or what?

• Richard Nikoley on June 12, 2015 at 08:13

I doubt anyone is free from that.

It’s line of site to a mountain top in the distance. Way better than satellite.

12. Mike on August 3, 2015 at 18:11