Self-Deviation Here at Free The Animal: “The Art and Audacity of Self-Direction”

I suppose it’s in my blood and genes to do the same thing the same way for only so long.

Substantially before I began blogging about paleo stuff, the whole saturated fat and cholesterol wars, dissing vegans and whatever else I could think of that interested me enough to write a bit about, I still blogged about lifestyle and “thoughtstyle,” in various ways, and always from the perspective of someone who’s self directed and loves to tell hand-wavers to just to go fuck themselves.

I woke up around 4 a.m. last night wondering two things. What is it in this that truly differentiates me from others? Well, perhaps in the general sphere, only my style, if that, even. In the Paleosphere, I think I’ve been around long enough to know and understand that it’s now pathetically hopeless (for me, doing as I do). You have 90% of “CAVEMEN!!!” basically being followers of dogma and narratives being exploited for profit by those clever enough to keep the narratives tight and trademarked.

…You even have monkey wenches out there waving hands over stuff—like resistant starch, raw potato starch—that has the support of thousands of positive anecdotes on this blog. Nope, the vicious wench will ask you for tests, “find something,” tell you it’s the potato starch, and take your money to “fix” you when you were already doing just fine, even better than before. That’s evil. Of course, such things come with the ever-enthusiastic Jimmy on the Spot podcaster to mainstream the confirming bullshit.

Nothing to do with that shit, for me. It used to be a frontier and I loved the livin’ fuck out of it. Now it’s a storefront and ad banners galore. My guess is that the preponderance of the independent minded got what they needed—and I’ve always touted my place as a revolving door in that regard—and moved on. It’s difficult to fault anyone for that. The very last thing I would do is wave hands at them. I’d rather swat them on the fanny and wish them the best of best, under their own exclusive authority, along with an admonition to slit the throats of anyone who ever stands in their way.

I’m not about “empowerment.” I hate that fucking leftist bullshit meme. I’m about telling everyone else to fuck off. Pretty much. The world is awash with swarms and hives telling or strongly suggesting to you, what to do, and it cripples people, because they become unsure of themselves often enough for it to be too often. If I have done anything great in these years, it has been to encourage people to venture out, take some risks, experiment for themselves, and figure out what it is that works best for them…and don’t give a damn runny shit what anyone else “thinks” about it.

That so very many believe someone needs to tell them what to do is the fundamental core of the problem, and I submit to you that “paleo” is basically on that same track now, in far too many ways. It was supposed to be a template; not a dependency scheme that bears little distinction from your typical church & state shenanigans, looking for parishioners and voters, always with eyes focussed upward, longingly waiting to be told what to do. Paleo? They’re always looking for customers, and the next product you need is just around the corner. Keep looking up.

…The second thing I thought of in the wee hours was more concrete. I actually laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of this, April 11, 2011:

“The Real Health Debate:” Live; Nikoley vs. Johnstone

That was were I and Harvey “Durianrider” Johnstone just went head to head in a live debate, choreographed as a boxing match by Steve Prussack (who did a great, pro job), 1,000 people listened live on phone lines which was a limit, another bunch—I don’t know how many—live streaming, and Steve sold the audio package and transcript and later PayPaled Harvey & I about $280 each as cut after all expenses, if I recall correctly.

And you know what? It came about because Mr. 30-Bannanas-A-Day issued me a challenge one evening as I was sitting on iPad. A couple of other challenges he issued had gone rejected or unanswered, and I accepted without literally a second thought. Guess others had to “staff” it, and such. I have no regrets about it, even though I got hand waving from others.

Perhaps it was then where I began to think that vegans aren’t maybe so bad after all—though if they would get in as least as much animal protein as ruminants do by accident (ever see a dear eat a rabbit), it would probably all be cool. Or not.

But at least it was out there, raw, we made a few bucks, but it was honest. Everybody gets to decide for themselves, no commercial interruptions, nothing much to buy, except to buy-into any range of ideas a-la-carte you like.

For the immediate, I’ve changed up my banner, format, and tag line a bit. Yes, that’s me flyin’, there. We’ll see how it all unfolds. Probably it’ll be a lot like it has been except with a theme up top that for me, more closely figures what exactly it is I’m trying to be up to and perhaps, also provides me with a guide to both keep me on track and suggest ideas.

1. Harriet on December 10, 2015 at 18:24

“I’m not about “empowerment.” I hate that fucking leftist bullshit meme. I’m about telling everyone else to fuck off.”

Empowerment is another one of those words which has changed its meaning over time. Empowerment back in the 1970s was what lefties used in order to tell everyone else to fuck off. Back then empowerment, like liberation was about being able to be your own person, living your own life and telling everyone else to get the fuck out of your way. And I’ll live with the consequences and do my own thing.

It is interesting that I used to be considered left of centre challenging the status quo. Now without changing any of my core beliefs I have discovered that these same core beliefs now make me part of the extreme right. So what has happened to the centre? It must have gone so far left that … well I don’t know, it has disappeared off my radar.

2. Steven on December 11, 2015 at 08:42

I was just reading about IQ and intelligence and the myriad of comments as to who is smartest: lefties, righties, conservatives, progressives (regressives really) and what I found most interesting in all the studies is that they never really cite what level of education a person has vs intelligence. I for one do not believe college makes anyone smart. It just enforces the K-12 indoctrination. I myself own an engineering/design firm and have 6 credit hours of community college. I have worked on the space shuttle, to airplanes to cars to toys to power tools etc…

The common thread between all of them was “liberalness”. How liberal was the person. Not the modern day definition but ye olde world definition. Those whom seek to be leaderless and free to express themselves as they see fit as long as they bring no harm to others. Basically what is seen as a modern day libertarian (I hate using the word personally as it really means nothing anymore). And then I had a thought: rugged individuals seek things for the sake of seeking… Thought provoking, mind moving interest seeking individuals.

You talk about Paleo community. At first it was that seeking type. People seeking answers. Once the unwashed masses joined in it became a massive marketing scheme. I remember the pic of the cookie you posted and ranted about how the cookie was “paleo” and the potato was not because of the paleo hegemony saying so.

What am I getting at? Well, I read your blog as it allows me to be lazy in my search for knowledge on certain fronts because I agree and trust what you say on so many fronts. It frees me up to engineer the world because what you do provide over anything is the endless seeking and a willingness to be wrong and then brag about how wrong you were.

That is the real liberal mind. That is real intelligence. That is what is lacking in the unwashed voting mass. That is why I come back often.

• Richard Nikoley on December 11, 2015 at 09:08

Thanks Steven.

You _almost_ choked me up there, a bit.

Yes, the essential message is that you always have to be looking. Looking for where you were wrong, examining how you got on a bandwagon or high horse and how that looks, in restrospect.

To my mind, if you aren’t regularly laughing at shit you used to pull, you are not becomming a better person and for me, there is nothing so rewarding as being right in this moment, when certain of how wrong you were in some instance, before.

The chief critisism I get that I dismiss is when–particularly in a post like this–is “oh, Richard is changing things up, AGAIN!” Well, of course, fool.

I watch too many, Loren Cordain perhaps being the Holy Grail of such behavior, establish some reasonable narrative and then soend the rest of their days defending it.

• Steven on December 11, 2015 at 09:39

Echo chambers always have given me a headache.

I must thank you for reminding me of that.

• sassysquatch on December 11, 2015 at 11:25

“regularly laughing at shit you used to pull”

Exactly. Sometimes laughing. Sometimes cringing. And sometimes thinking what a dipshit I was.

3. Matthew on December 11, 2015 at 11:22

On the contrary, I think semi-annual/annual changes in voice and focus are a tradition we all look forward to here at FTA 🙂 🙂 🙂

Same ol’ stuff over and over get’s boring no matter what the topic.

4. Hegemon on December 13, 2015 at 07:46

Hell yeah, Richard.

5. pzo on December 13, 2015 at 08:20

I’ll ratify your observations about what the paleo movement has become. Another religion. Complete with those who don’t explore and do the research (‘cuz many just plain can’t!) so they become supplicants to the new high priests.

My journey started in 2009 – I remember your podcast with Durian Rider – mostly on MDA. I’ve been looking at that forum again and I see the same problems that I eventually opened my eyes to: Same dumb questions, woo non-science presented as fact. So far I see only one poster still around from the old days.

“When you find yourself agreeing with the majority, it’s time to reevaluate your position.” Mark Twain