Kinda Different Off Grid. Holiday River House.

Sorry. We’re in the midst of a week away…four nights here on the Russian River in Geurneville, CA, in a classic river house Beatrice found and rented on VRBO.

I’ve intended to blog a dozen or more times since we arrived Saturday afternoon. There are good reasons I haven’t.

IMG_0072

IMG_0073 IMG_0074 IMG_0075 IMG_0076 IMG_0077 IMG_0078 IMG_0080 IMG_0081 IMG_0082 IMG_0085 (1) IMG_0085 IMG_0086

Wednesday, we head out to a 10-acre horse farm we rented via AirBNB, in Placerville, CA, not far from my bro’s place, where we’ll spend the Holidays.

I’ll be back, of course. I’ve been crazy into weird music covers and politics, which you can follow on Facebook if you like.

1. Bacchal on December 22, 2015 at 00:19

Good reasons, indeed! Nice digs.

2. Matthew on December 22, 2015 at 06:24

So this is kind of open ended, but I’ve been asking everyone in *real life* so why not ask here as well.

Richard do you have any advice for first time home buyers? I’m navigating the process now and about to sign the contract, but I don’t feel as sure about it all as I thought I might…

• Richard Nikoley on December 22, 2015 at 08:29

Nothing in particular without details. Get a good deal, don’t regard it as an “investment” but instead a cost (Rich Dad Poor Dad is a decent book that explains the critical distinction), and make sure you’re not making yourself “house poor.”

• Hap on December 22, 2015 at 13:24

I wish I had been able to adhere to “house poor” before I purchased a small architectural masterpiece in the Hawaiian rain forest near Kilauea volcano. However, it is small, beautiful, peaceful, and mostly, but not entirely off grid. A lot of geological activity and history, but not yet geothermal for free.

OH well….my kids will probably like it when I am gone.

I really like the looks of where you are staying……and the food.

3. rrrracer on December 22, 2015 at 19:32

Gotta love a place that has multiple opportunities for fire. Cheers!

4. paleo police on December 22, 2015 at 20:02

Ahhh, just want to point out that there are some serious infractions of the paleo code going on here. Bread, crackers and hot tubs are not paleo dude. You may risk expulsion from club paleo should this continue.

• Hugh on December 24, 2015 at 21:11

What a fucking cunt comment.

That faggoty brand of pseudo-cleverness was gay six years ago and people are still saying this shit?

Jesus titty-fucking christ this is why I couldn’t run a website. To have the intellectual dreck of humanity constantly washing up against my shores would be too much to bare. Life’s hard enough as it is.

On a daily basis I witness people who can’t navigate a four way stop sign or god forbid a roundabout, so to think that those types could wantonly strut their stupidity in front of me without recourse is revolting. At least in the real world I can make a face and be like, “Learn to drive, dummy!”

But on the web, that fucking asshole is looooong gone, probably still patting himself on the back for the sick burn he delivered to those almond-flour eating paleotards.

What a fucking cunt.

• paleo police on December 25, 2015 at 00:09

I am still here cunt. I was wondering if there was some dumb fuck who would take the bait. Richard was smart enough not to but you weren’t, hey Hughsey?

Btw: sarcasm. Google it cunt.

Love always, The Paleo Police.

• Richard Nikoley on December 25, 2015 at 03:42

Hugh was just making sure there’s somone to police the police. 😉

• paleo police on December 26, 2015 at 03:43

Fair enough. If you come back Hughsey, you coward cunt, I would like you to know I am deeply offended by your use of the words ‘faggoty’ and ‘gay’. I would like a sincere apology for the offence you have caused sir.

On the other hand, I applaud your use of the words ‘jesus titty-fucking christ’, ‘cunt’, ‘fucking cunt’ and ‘almond flour eating paleotard’. Fine penmanship there sir.

• Hugh on December 26, 2015 at 06:17

I’m back, cunty! Glad you liked the penmenship. I like to craft a comment for Richard every year or so, and taking a shit on your already shitty brand of sarcasm seemed like as good an opportunity as any. I had just retired from Christmas dinner with the family so the fangs were already out and nicely sharpened as well.

5. Rita on December 23, 2015 at 08:02

Looks absolutely lovely. The hot tub by the river reminds me of a beautiful spot in Mt. Angel, Oregon, that has a natural hot spring by the river, so pretty & relaxing – enjoy your holidays!

6. Preston on December 23, 2015 at 10:14

The fireplace on the porch is a great idea. I’ll have to include that in my upcoming building project. Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on December 23, 2015 at 16:03

It’s a nice one, too. Originally equiped to run from a 4.5 gal propane tank underneath, they have it piped from the main several hundred gallon tank that supplies the house, so essentially endless.

7. More Happy Holidays In Pics | Free The Animal on December 27, 2015 at 07:46

[…] guess I’ll just pop up another picture theme post rather like the last one. Last Wednesday we left the river house in Guerneville, CA for a ranch house on 5 acres in the […]