Last Post of 2015. My Big Blogging Focus Change for 2016: A Little Civilization; a Little Science

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve done more thinking than writing, since they’re mutually exclusive 🙂 What very little I spew has been primarily done on my Facebook profile. While it’s merely an outlet—a pressure relief-valve—ensuring that I don’t just litter this blog with each of a dozen outrages per day, it has proved somewhat useful.

It helped me to flesh out fresh meat on land, and blood in the water. I am by nature an iconoclast. I’m not happy unless you’re not happy. I see the world as a vast wasteland of bullshit that needs proper sanitation procedures and the fact that so many 2nd-handers lap up so much of it is worrisome…because they vote and otherwise influence public policy, which harms lots of people. …And not on the basis of discovery, facts, enlightenment, reason…but rather the opposite: alarmism, entrenchment, turf protecting, rent seeking, prestige, influence, grant whoreing, consensus driving, privilege, punishment and retribution for “deniers.”

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” — H.L. Mencken

I think the dietary wars, generally stated, have peaked. Average folk are enjoying their meat and fat again, obsessing less about cholesterol, and butter now trumps shelf space over whatever it is they call that fake crap. Perhaps I played a small role in that, going back to 2008 when I took it on and built a respectable readership; or perhaps, I just encouraged and promoted others who had more long-term designs on the project. I made many missteps along the way, got obsessed a few times too often, went after some targets I regret going after as I did. In the end, I guess I was bored and began looking inward to cure deficiencies I perceived within the general ranks, when I had always made a point of focussing my energies outward.

I didn’t even blog a word about that recent “study” that said bacon is worse than cigarettes (or was it cancer, or both…I forget). To me, it’s pointless. It’s like trying to take down a study that warns against weekends in Vegas. Bacon is about the dumbest target ever.

At any rate, I’m probably done with bothering to synthesize stuff having to do with saturated fat, cholesterol, high fat vs. low fat, low carb vs. high, etc. What I will do is blog about the joy of real food, and with treats being treated like treats—as everyone used to seem to understand, and so named them. It’s not “moderation in all things,” it’s presence of mind in all things, and that means you use your brain, get good food, usually cook it at home, relax, enjoy a life.

So, to sum that up, I really have no dog in the fight anymore over what particular style of real food you like best and work with the best. High fat or protein? Some of my meals and days are like that. High carb, low fat? I like the potato hack for a few days now & then. Ketogenic? I fast now & then. So I think the “war” is perhaps nearing an end as all-out war, and continuing battles are a distraction, for me.

There’s also the microbiome, of course, and a hopeful eventual book. But that science is pretty damn decent, has few detractors, and is moving along fine without my help or hindrance. I’ll touch on it and work behind the scenes mostly.

So what’s next as a primary focus, while I continue to hit on diet, food, microbiome, and iconoclastic metabolic science from time-to-time? I considered three targets, all rich in bullshit, but with plenty of red meat and the potential for blood squirting from slit jugulars.

1. The Social Justice Wars
  2. The Climate Change Wars
  3. The Civilization Wars featuring 7th Century, goat fucking and virgins-until-rapists males, all under a pig-vomit ideology

Well, you can include #3, as you’ve probably already guessed. My approach intends, at this point, to be historical. I’ve been reading a lot, from lots of sources. It turns out that it used to be the case that Muslims fooled no one. Certainly not Sir Winston Churchill. He had personal experience, see.

10462566_214591768873231_1656392016468870849_n-2

I’ve tested various forms of outrageous expression on Facebook, and while I truly adore the goat-fucking, virgin-until-rapist, pig-vomit dehumanization of Muslims approach, it appears people aren’t yet ready to share or click “Like” on that stuff, so I guess I’ll need to build up to it by juxtaposing historical happenings with the exact same happenings today. In other words, we confront a force hell bent on conquest and utter dominance, that’s essentially unchanged in 1,400 years: The True Muslims.

There’s blood in the water, here, when Arab, Indian, and Pakistani friends I’ve known forever tell me in hushed voices: “we have to nuke them!” …And even some older leftie Democrats I know. They’ve seen this kinda shit before, and where it can lead.

…The social justice wars just aren’t for me as a blogger. I’m way too prone to use the word “cunt,” and it just undercuts any message, no matter how insightful. I’ll touch on it maybe, from time-to-time, but keep it to ‘just the economics, ma’am.’ Besides, could there be anyone better than the flamboyantly gay, smart, witty, and funny young man, Milo Yiannopoulos, to take up that charge? There are others, but this guy sucks all air out of all rooms.

…And besides, when I see students at Yale possibly signing a petition to repeal the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in absolute sincerity, I lose all desire to help them or any other social justice warriors to see the error of their ways. I prefer they all find out the very, very hard way.

So, finally, we come to global warming climate change. Here is where my focus over the last few days has landed, and I was giddy last night at the prospects, because I see it roughly in the same way as I saw the dietary wars in 2009. It’s going to come crashing down. And probably, far harder than mere evidence of lots of butter on supermarket shelves and grassfed beef behind the meat counter. There will be lots of opportunity for gloating and ridicule, so this is a bet with a potentially big payoff, for me. Moreover and en plus, there’s the added potential satisfaction of denying the ideological communists another place to ply their utopian ideals. Where do you think they all went in the early 1990s, when their doctrinal Holy Grail of Lysenkoism failed of its own pseudoscience and consensus?

Actually, way back before 2008/9, when I shifted my blogging focus to health and diet, I used to blog now & then about the global warming movement. I was pointing out in 2006 that the whole thing rests, quite implausibly, on Co2 setting off a positive feedback (trapped water vapor), where nature is dominated by negative feedbacks.

Anyway, I’ll not let the cat out of the bag because my next post will focus on this. I trolled the Christopher Hitchens Appreciation Facebook Group. As it happens, it’s not particularly what one might expect, on a number of levels, but that’s neither here nor there. Anyway, I engaged this climate cowboy, Blair Ericsson, of San Francisco, who apparently “studied” at Carnegie Mellon University and used to be employed writing and directing for a film, Banshee Chapter, which I’m sure everyone has heard of.

12191452_10153183915826198_1405801542992544808_n

Turns out he’s rather perfect in terms of being representative of what you’re going to find in the climate debate, because it’s on-the-money what you saw in the dietary wars in various discussion outlets. He uses pretty much every logical fallacy in the book, never discusses facts, data, or hypotheses directly—to at least give you an idea he understands them rather then sycophantically regurgitate what people he agrees with told him.

You get to decide for yourself, of course and as always…no yes-men sycophants here, but the threads is: More Americans were killed in Christmas weekend storms this year than in Islamic extremist attacks since 9/11 (the conflation of the natural/physical with the man-made seems to have escaped rational notice, which upon reading, you may find as no surprise).

I haven’t checked thoroughly, but two additional post by me, along with comments, appear to have been removed from the group, which of course is VERY SHOCKING!

Alright, onto promoting pseudoscience and Alex Jones-syle conspiracy theory, up next post.

1. Yeaster Bunny on December 31, 2015 at 15:55

I have a love/hate relationship with your blog and I hope that doesn’t change. Halal New Year. Cunt….

2. Shameer M. on January 1, 2016 at 11:49

I definitely agree with the Churchill quote on Islam, but I surmise you can say that the influence of religion, in general, paralyzes the social development of those who follow said religion.

On that note, have a great New Year, and look forward to continue reading your blog through 2016

• Richard Nikoley on January 1, 2016 at 14:48

Shameer:

Let me see if I can rephrase your statement into something I agree with, and then you can see if we have synthesis from thesis and antithesis.

“I surmise you can say that the influence of religion, in general, RETARDS the social development of those who follow said religion.”

I think ‘paralyzes’ applies only to an important segment of islam (20% perhaps?, which is HUGE), but not overly important segments of other mainstream religion.

Agreed?

• Shameer M. on January 1, 2016 at 14:58

Agreed.

3. LaFrite on January 1, 2016 at 14:22

Bonne annĂ©e Ă  toi aussi 😉

So, you refocus on the real deal, that’s cool. I look forward to reading what you have to say, not necessarily because I agree but because I do not have the time to dwell on certain matters and places as much as you do and also how you do it (e.g. I have no facebook profile, I am mostly using internet for work reasons and occasional reading). So here, I get to find some kind of quick compilation of things that I would surely miss otherwise. Your style and opinions are yours and I don’t mind them even when I disagree, but your blog allows me to follow some interesting developments or pick up some bits that excite my interest as much as yours. I hope 2016 will be a Grand Cru in that respect 🙂

SantĂ©, vieille noix 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on January 1, 2016 at 15:04

“vieille noix”

Pfft!

4. […] lovely to deal with ignorance. First, you have the cowboy I gave mention to in my end-of-year post. Apparently, those who just take other people’s word […]

5. Daniel F on January 2, 2016 at 15:19

It has been instructive to see the number of comments go down as Richard has shifted away from diet to other topics. This says much more about the readership than it does about Richard. People who got giddy over being able to talk about eating fat and meat suddenly had nothing to say when the discussion turned to philosophy, government, personal responsibility, metaphysics, human conflict and other topics from a man who gives no fucks and pulls everyone out of their complacency and comfort zones. Personally, Richard has been one of the greatest teachers I have ever had. I’m extremely grateful to have come across him and that I have always decided to stick around rather than “feel offended” (who gives a shit?).

I hope Richard does take on the SJWs. Milo is good but he gets old and doesn’t have the depth of a Richard Nikoley. I still encourage to take a look at Vox Day’s two books from this year:SJWs Always Lie and Cuckservative. Some inspiration there for Richard to join that fight and not leave it to Milo. There are in my view some great opportunities for cooperation by Richard with Vox Day, Mike Cernovich, Milo and others.

Happy New Year!

6. Edster on January 3, 2016 at 14:29

This pretty much sums up why FTA is my favourite blog and go-to place for reasoned discourse:
    “The difference between the critical thinker and the un-critical one is not a difference in IQ, or mental strength, or some sort of genetic privileges of the brain. It is a difference in practicing questioning, versus little questioning, or not questioning at all, or taking life as a face value.
    The critical thinker is always in the mental gym, exercising. The un-critical thinker is not very fit. But not very fit people are not necessarily ill. They get by in different ways, usually in some disadvantage.
    The critical thinker is restless. Like the gym goer or the daily jogger, he or she has butterflies in the stomach as soon as not exercising. These are mental butterflies, signs of restlessness, feeling uncomfortable with the status quo, the un-questioned life, if you want to get a bit philosophical.”

Looking forward to another “critical” year and plenty of fresh air!

7. John on January 3, 2016 at 21:01

I think my own critical thinking may have begun when I was around 8. I had heard from someone at school that vegetarianism was healthy and “good.” I decided I was going to be a vegetarian. My dad said no. I was perplexed – why would he deny me the opportunity to do something healthy? He said “vegetarianism is not healthy, I don’t care what you’re hearing at school. You will eat steak.”

Granted, that wasn’t the most evidence based explanation, but it was my first memorable experience with ideas that run directly counter to a popular narrative. Dad is always quick to reject things that “sound like bullshit” regardless of the source. His common sense approach often means he spends very little time worrying about minutia, and is typically pretty correct when all the evidence settles and the dust clears.

I ate more steak growing up with my dad than probably 99.9% of people in America in the late 80’s and 90’s.

• Richard Nikoley on January 4, 2016 at 07:17

“Dad is always quick to reject things that “sound like bullshit” regardless of the source. His common sense approach often means he spends very little time worrying about minutia, and is typically pretty correct when all the evidence settles and the dust clears.”

This is crucial. We have limited time to live our lives and there is absolutely no obligation spending it running down every single rabbit hole that comes along, just in case it might turn out right.

Often, good enough is good enough.

8. Jane Karlsson on January 4, 2016 at 06:37

I can’t wait for your posts on climate change. The anti muslim rants horrified me. I thought I’d never read FTA again. But I did …

• Richard Nikoley on January 4, 2016 at 07:27

“I thought I’d never read FTA again. But I did
”

Nice premise checking.

• Rob on January 6, 2016 at 09:08

They weren’t “anti-Muslim rants” as much as anti-Islam rants. There is a difference. What we are seeing in the West now is too much pearl-clutching, too much concern for virtue-signaling over what we see before our eyes.

• Jane Karlsson on January 7, 2016 at 05:15

‘Dirt scratching savages’ means muslims, not Islam.

At least some of the atrocities recently attributed to muslims were false flags. The CIA is the real terrorist organisation, and it knows how to turn ordinary people into mind controlled killers. It may well have taught ISIS how to do it.

• gab on January 7, 2016 at 14:04

What on earth? What does ‘too much concern for virtue-signaling’ mean?