There’s No Better Time To Proclaim That You’re a Culturist

After some years of batting it around in my head, bouncing it off folks here & there, I finally wrote a post about it just over 10 years ago (May 6, 2005). At base, its intent was to give people a legitimate means of reconciling thoughts and feelings that maybe seem racist—or just dis-preference of anyone not like them—but really aren’t. Deeply thinking people actually try to do this kind of shit, rather than just blather on about what everyone’s supposed to think and say.

I’ll give you the intro, then juxtapose it with some comments I’ve received lately. This is from 10 years ago, on this blog, in a post I titled Culturism. The intro.

Some years ago, I came up with that term (ask my wife), and according to Google and Merriam-Webster Online, it doesn’t exist as an English word. So, I’m claiming it and defining it; here and now.

What I mean by it is:

Culturism: 1. The judging of one or more cultures as superior to one or more other cultures; 2. The establishment of a hierarchy of moral standing from ideal to evil with respect to human cultures.

It’s nothing like the prejudgment inherent in racismculture does not depend on race. A person of any race can be born into any culture, but can later leave and adopt any other culture.

Here’s some comments I got on a post from a few days ago: Let’s Make No Mistake About What I Really Think About 7th-Century, Dirt-Scratching Savages AKA Muslims.

John says:
December 12, 2015 at 15:20

Fucking asshole. I hope they find you and rape you before cutting your head off.

TheJeebus says:
December 13, 2015 at 12:46

Adding two paragraphs at the end does not absolve you from the despicable garbage you wrote.

I’m not sure what’s worse, your genocidal ramblings or your utter lack of rational analysis.

Gabriele Nesta says:
December 14, 2015 at 09:44(Edit)

As a very casual observer of this site since it was first used to explain the paleo lifestyle, i just have to wonder out loud, having read so many angry outbursts here…….does this “paleo” diet (or whatever it is you follow) actually bring about this extremely hostile, negative, and insulting attitude and behavior? Something is wrong with a person who is compelled to ramble on and on about his personal beliefs, no matter how offensive or irrelevant, and then bash, with the most crude and vulgar language possible, anyone who disagrees. I haven’t been here in months and see that things have even gotten worse! I suggest an introspective look into WHAT exactly is making you so angry, rude and unhappy in your life. Few people care about your politics, especially when expressed with such vitriol and narrow-mindedness.

My reply:

December 14, 2015 at 10:00

Gabrielle, you’re just a typical, stupid cunt who doesn’t think for herself, “thinks” she’s making a point by typing what any quotidian fucktard would type so most people go “yea, just what I was ‘thinking.’” You’re simply too ignorant and stupid to come to the realization and grip of your own indoctrination that has made you such a fucking bore in your one shot at a human life.

It “proves” her point. Don’t all morons say that? It’s like Moron Rule #1:

Gabriele Nesta says:
December 14, 2015 at 10:28

You just proved my whole point. Something is wrong in your head. I would match my education with yours any day. You spew anger and hatred and your little groupies just lap it up. Look into your private life to see who or what is making you so miserable and then perhaps look into your diet, as you are obviously missing some vital nutrients. Either way, you have some serious shortcomings. That kind of psychotic anger is not healthy.

Anyway, I have invited her to pit her actuall brain power against mine in an actual fucking hard test, were average is about 30% correct answers.

Richard Nikoley says:
December 15, 2015 at 07:49

BTW, Gabriele:

Feel free to take the test and post the results (it’s most of the way down the post). With all that educatin’ I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

So…a little confession to make. That first comment, by John? I put him up to it via Facebook. Want more interesting? He is the one single person I know and know of, who did better than me in that crazy hard test way down in that link above. Whereas, I’m 98.5 percentile, he’s about 99.5.

Understand, there is not a word in all 36 questions. It’s a true brain test and you can’t game it. It’s all patterns. Geometry, and even squiggly shapes for those who grew up with no straight lines. It tests your ability to figure out fucking hard patterns, connections, relationships. Which basically describes my blogging all these years. I see patters, connect dots, synthesize—and when it conflicts with what the other 98.5% “think,” it’s a post I’ll be proud of, because there’s nothing better than irritating 98.5% of people.

I think John struck just the right cord, to give a couple of regurgitating fucktards confidence to come out, knowing that there was at least someone else in my comments as reflexive as they, over hearing things most people are afraid to utter— even if they think or feel them. Stupid people, above all, take comfort in knowing that other stupid people are milling about.

…OK, here’s the rest of the 10-yr-old, unedited post about culturism, a dot I connected 13-15 years ago, blogged about 10 years ago, and billions of fucktards screaming “racism,” “hate,” and whatnot, haven’t even thought a second about any critical distinctions ever, and because most people are always caught up in what everyone else is “thinking” and uttering, so that they can pretend to be as smart as everyone else is pretending to be.

Unedited from 10 years ago, but you’ll know its wide application given current events, automatically:

Therefore, I can proclaim unabashedly that I am a “culturist.” That is, having lived in both Asian and European cultures for significant time, and having experienced all other mainstream cultures in my world travels, I judge that all cultures on Earth are to varying degrees inferior to the idealized American culture (according to my standard of value, which is conscious human life). Moreover, I judge some cultures to be predominantly evil, such as certain Middle-Eastern sub-cultures. I wouldn’t classify the greater Arab culture to be evil, but I would classify it as generally ignorant and primitive. The American ghetto sub-culture, populated predominantly by blacks, is stupid and self-destructive — through and through. The American redneck sub-culture is ignorant and trashy.

Consequently, I bear a certain prejudice (to varying degrees) against any adherent to any culture that’s not idealized American, including irrational American sub-cultures. This can vary from a simple air of superiority to outright disgust and hatred. But, as I said, anyone can at any time escape one culture and adopt another, so my prejudgment here is not based on anything that a person can’t change. That’s a critical distinction.

Another important identification is that it’s utter rot to suggest that race determines culture or that a person can’t escape the cuture into which he’s born and raised. This is just a way of making excuses when a person’s culture is toxic, idiotic, or evil. “Hey, man, your culture’s fucking stupid. If you’re not stupid, then do something about it.”

All that said, it’s important to point out that I do also appreciate cultural diversity. There’s a lot I love about Asian culture. I enjoyed living in France and traveling around Europe. After all, those are my roots. My wife is of Hispanic origin, and though her family is far more American than Mexican, I enjoy a lot of the diversity they’ve retained.

And, in fact, that’s what makes American culture the best culture. It’s capable of absorbing the best from all other cultures. In so doing, American culture is, on the whole, far greater than the sum of its constituent elements. It’s also why people from the world over want to come here. It’s not just the dream. It’s that the dream is part of an idealized culture, a culture big enough to absorb everything good.

I bring up this bit about culture now because Thomas Sowell (a black man and an intellectual) has an interesting theory about culture. Go read his article summarizing his new book about how modern Black sub-culture is a direct descendant of ignorant American redneck sub-culture.

I’ll add a tidbit here I didn’t in the original post. When I was First Lieutenant on USS REEVES (that’s the deck boss), I had 65 seamen without the skills for any technical or mechanical rating, so they’re all basically “deck monkeys.” And half of them were hip-hoppers and half rednecks, which is why Sowell’s piece really resonated with me at the time. I’ll add: I really loved those people. It was perhaps the biggest and most rewarding challenge in human management in my life. Someday, I’ll write about the blackest of black and the reddest of neck crying crocodile tears in my office, which was a knife to my heart.

…Now, I’ll put this just-now vid of Pat Condell up, again. Do note how he remarks about how bad it is, now days, for any white person to actually like his own culture and wish to preserve it.

And check this out because so many of you are so very fucking pathetically stupid: Milo Yiannopoulos: Silicon Valley Elites Speak Highly of Donald Trump, But Only In Private. Shit like that is the direct result of your refusal and now, inability, to think for yourself.

War is coming. And, I predict this will be the last time someone who celebrates an inferior culture occupies the White House, until this stage of history has been forgotten. Read and chew on that italicized part again, and over and over, because it’s #1 the absolute truth and #2 makes him resoundingly the worst president in American history by negative exponents.

1. Rita on December 15, 2015 at 13:13

Yep, I love this post. My friends in Oregon don’t understand why I hate the Black Lives Matter “movement” after living in Louisiana for a few years now (I made the mistake of joining Teach For America). Also, I now understand my deep disdain of Kardashian Kulture.

• Richard Nikoley on December 15, 2015 at 13:40

See, Rita?

I’ve known you were smart for a long time. I try to keep tabs.

It’s you folks I really blog for, and thus, my market is shrinking.

2. Hap on December 15, 2015 at 13:14

I guess that I am “culturist” as opposed to “a culturist”….. Perhaps that means I prefer certain cultures or distinguish between them (for purposes of managing my life and making judgements) as opposed to just categorizing them (implying study for academic sake). Maybe that doesn’t make sense…Just trying it out. Willing to take heat.:)

However, I absolutely get your piece , which would be roundly roughed up in the Big U. No judgments about culture allowed unless ragging on dead (or not) white males.

• Richard Nikoley on December 15, 2015 at 13:48

Nope, no heat, Hap.

I’m not purist, so to the extent you can take the essential concept and frame it to either better understand, better match your way of expression, or better convey to others is what I’m about.

I think it’s high time whites and white males fought back with a vengeance that’s in keeping with the value of pretty much inventing everything everyone enjoys around the world, supported by a white social structure engineered by white women who knew a value when they saw one.

I’ve had enough of it. I’m really tired of the hatred of the good, for being the good (that’s an Ayn Rand quote, BTW).

• Bacchal on December 16, 2015 at 03:14

For all her foibles, Rand could wield one hell of a dagger in that pen of hers. I finally got that, after I stopped writing her off as a mere crank. It’s dawned on me that the visceral disgust so many harbor over her is based on little more than secondary knowledge of her work and little, if any, personal immersion into what she’s actually written. I was one of those, admittedly. Fortunately, my capacity for self-correction has grown.

I’ve been instinctively anti-war since my naive days as a fledgling red (in spirit, if not in practice), but I’ve always known that absolute pacifism is just one more pathological extreme, no less anti-life than murderous belligerence. If self-preservation is the most primal of instincts in an animal, to deliberately and completely stifle that in oneself in the presence of a one-hundred percent real, life-fucking threat reveals a perverse level of personal disregard unheard of in any other form of life. The Left idealizes “Nature” and then pisses on their own human variety to maintain their fairy tale feelings. More and more, it becomes clearer to me why, nearly a decade ago, I started smelling shit over on the left side, without really knowing why, initially. But I knew it wasn’t much sweeter on the right. After years of disassembly and examination and re-examination, I came to abide by that pronouncement made by the Bard of Hibbing to another pack of ideologues years ago: “There’s no black and white, left and right to me anymore; there’s only up and down and down is very close to the ground. And I’m trying to go up without thinking about anything trivial such as politics.”

These last few weeks of posts have been enlightening, to say the least, and have finally compelled me to break my four years of silent lurking. (Four years! I’ve earned my bachelor’s in Freeing the Animal. Ha.) I don’t want to see this country get sucked into another endless conflict, but these hornets need to be killed. While I hope it can be done with some precision and exactitude, I know it’s asking too much of this bumbling, bull-in-a-china-shop government to handle even the simplest of tasks with a modicum of finesse, let alone the routing out of a hornets’ nest.

With that said, happy belated anniversary. Free the Animal has been, to quote a Buddhist monk, of all people, an “ongoing lesson in the extent of my own stupidity.” Thanks for being a bright light in this dingy, dark intellectual catacomb we call the internet. 😀 I will happily carry the culturist flag — the blackest of them all, yes? My submission for that privilege: http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/Results.aspx?UserID=f9b010a3-a942-4015-9e7b-a754b9b2ad64

• Richard Nikoley on December 16, 2015 at 08:33

Well Bacchal (and Sheena too), you both made the front page today.

3. Michelle on December 15, 2015 at 15:09

Thanks for posting this. It’s nice to hear SOMEONE saying something. I’m another Oregonian howling in the wilderness. They will still all be cucking and shucking all the way up to when war arrives on their doorsteps.
    Keep fighting the good fight.

4. John on December 15, 2015 at 15:35

I made sure the comment was ironic – calling you an asshole for being racist and hoping for the most grotesque stereotypical actions to happen.

You say war is coming. I feel the societal tension in my bones – ideological differences are about to erupt. I don’t see war in the physical sense, but the mental. The “vocal minority” has been spouting irrational demands and accusations and gotten their way for too long. They have minimal critical thinking skills and are not prepared for when their cries of victimhood and ad hominem rebuttals are met with ridicule instead of pandering.

To prepare I am spending as much time as I can reading, learning, and refining my thinking and debate skills – particularly on the issues of culture. It is amazing what a debate will do to reveal your own shortcomings of thought. No matter how confident I feel in my ideas, an intelligent person can expose a weakness I need to revisit. I’m a better thinker not by the month or week, but by the day and hour.

Perhaps with online discussions I’ll get to the point of telling people who bring nothing to the table “fuck off,” but for the time being I’m happy to develop my skills, and I hope someone wakes up if even just a little.

In the following Facebook exchange, someone said this to me:
    ” I believe that because you are white, you are incapable of understanding how multilayered and intricate this issue is to Black people.

This is something you can’t culturally comprehend.”

And when I told the person that was racist, I was chastised by feminists that I was out of line, and accused of “mansplaining” et al.

This exchange I had is what made me realize “culture” is really just “justification for evil”: https://www.facebook.com/lizzstraight/posts/10153066923257282

It is lengthy, but it shows so much (including how I spent too much time in that instance explaining!).

Who is privileged – the person who wins with baseless accusations and rhetoric, or the one who loses with reason?

5. steve W on December 15, 2015 at 15:47

Culture is simply a collective form of gene expression. Personality is as genetic as testosterone levels.

6. mucky on December 15, 2015 at 17:06

i can see where, in certain instances, multiple cultures could co-exist. However, when the singlarity of a certain culture is to overthrow and extinguish all other cultures, that culture needs an airing in the broad daylight.

7. Gordon on December 15, 2015 at 18:38

Happened to read a sort of “letter to immigrants” at
    http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2015/11/welcome-aliens.html just before coming here and reading your post.

An excerpt:
    “…We have a rich and ancient national culture, which you will have to wholeheartedly adopt and to help us develop it and safeguard it from bad influences…you must understand that if you are to live with us, it is our culture that has to come first. Therefore, you will have to abandon any elements of your old culture that are incompatible with ours. If you fail to do so at any point, then you will be asked to leave…”

Thank you for these ideas. Very helpful.

8. pzo on December 15, 2015 at 20:18

Cultures clash. Always have, always will.

That some cultures are able to survive side by side, or one within another, takes a lot of energy, time, and good intentions.

A nation like Japan doesn’t waste the billions of hours of dialogue, law suits, etc. we have to endure here in America. Heterogenity doesn’t seem to have hurt their adaptability or competitiveness.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is bull shit. OTOH, our economy is so international, global, that the more we understand about other cultures, interacting with other cultures in education and work, is probably for the better.

And despite being a card carrying FDR Democrat, that doesn’t mean that I can’t hear my own drummer and march differently. It’s obvious that some cultures are superior and some inferior. I think there are objective standards:

In terms of evolution, it’s a real simple bottom line: The culture that is wiped out or disappears for, say, military reasons, is inferior to the one that killed it.

Somewhat more nuanced is how successfully a given culture can give its people food, shelter, and health, especially in the face of changes. Adapt or die (out.)

My third criteria is definitely a child of living in a technological, Enlightenment culture: Innovation, which can be the obvious technical, but also political, business, and even the culture itself.

Almost EVERYTHING that most humans want and value, from self governance to iPads are the result of our Enlightenment values. And, within that, mostly from men. As Camille Paglia succinctly notes, if women ran the world, we would still be living in mud huts. I know, I know, many women have been creators (outside of the arts); Madame Curie, a neighbor of mine was in the ground floor of computers with Admiral Grace Hopper. The origin of “There’s a bug in the computer.” Look it up.

Eighty percent of music copyrights are held by men.

But compared to men, not so much.

My mother and her mother were fiery feminists of the best kind. Grandma was the first licensed woman driver in Brazil. My three daughters are all STEM graduates and have worked in Dell, Motorola, and cutting edge biotech.

So to call me misogynist just because I accept certain realities would be wrong.

Richard, I think you already know of http://www.judgybitch.com .

• Richard Nikoley on December 15, 2015 at 20:52

Yep, pzo, know of her well, though I think her approach is too narrow. I’m very resistant to specialization.

Anyway, great to read a comment where someone just gets it.

9. Sean II on December 16, 2015 at 08:52

Richard,
    I’m still perplexed by the ambition of non-violence. In nature there are storms and there are calm seas.
    In the case of MLK and Mahatma Gandhi I see two different reasons non-violence worked. In the US you had one side of the equation already accepting that violence is not the answer so the civil rights movement was not gunned down. In India, there were just too many people to mow down.
    We have examples in history of populations that have been disseminated through force either by choice or by lacking the technology to overcome their opponents.
    I agree with much of your philosophy but I keep getting stuck on this Vulcan fantasy. We are human and we will get violent when resources are stake.
    There is an interesting take on Bonobos vs Chimps. Bonobos live in an environment where food is abundant and therefore strength plays a small part in securing food. Their society is run by the women. Chimps live where you have to work hard for your food and hence the stronger men run the society.
    Technology has basically guaranteed food is on the table of every family without they having any idea of how it got there. Are humans in developed societies becoming more Bonobo like? If so, what happens when a Chimp thinking society spots that as a weakness.
    When an Arab ship was lashed ashore in a storm in India, the crew got help from the locals to get back home and was able to report that India had no navy or fighting army to talk of. They came back in fleets and the rest was history.
    Besides the reliance on high IQ to maintain peaceful anarchy, what do you see as the check valve for violence on a global scale?

10. Tim on December 16, 2015 at 13:39

Took that test and just felt like bragging a bit.

It’s a very tough test indeed.

• CL on December 16, 2015 at 15:37

I took it too and got a 146, 99.9 percentile. It was tough but actually pretty fun.

11. Onlooker on December 16, 2015 at 14:25

Right on Richard. So much of what is called racism these days is just people discriminating (gasp!) based on how people act, talk, live, etc.; i.e. culture. How the hell else should we judge people? And yes, we should judge others. That’s how people maintain civility in a society. But too many people (especially the left) characterize that as racism. And bully others into believing the same, or at least cowering before it.

There’s probably really very little actual racism in our society these days. It just can’t hold up when there are so many clear examples to refute it.

I am absolutely not racist. I don’t dislike/hate/prejudge black people, for example, but I hate the predominantly black ghetto culture (and hip hop, gangster rap, etc.) Hate it! (As do a whole lot of black people who are called race traitors and the like; a despicable practice.) It’s poisonous, pernicious and just downright awful. And I hate it whether it’s blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asian, or whoever, manifesting it. And the same should be said for other poisonous, awful cultures from around the world (ignorant red necks, mindless religion-followers, etc.)

This practice of calling any judgment of others racism just has to stop. This obviously goes right along with the lack of critical thinking skills amongst almost everybody these days. And that leads to the mindless parroting of political memes by dumbasses everywhere.

Don’t be dumbasses people!

12. John Press, Ph.D. on January 1, 2016 at 21:50

I have written a book on culturism. An African-American gentleman did the same! Please learn more at http://www.culturism.us

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2016 at 09:31

Hi John:

Hell, at $4.61 Kindle price, I’ll give it a read. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like your reviews are either 5-star or 1-star. That can often be a good sign. Love & hate are two sides of the same coin of passion.

We’ll see.