On Vitriol and How Hunter S. Thompson Never Gave a Flying Fuck What Anyone “Thinks”

Had to post this, just because. Via Mike Eades’ Facebook. Clicking the image ought to give you a readable one. Here’s a link with a large version too.

12418845_573461362818021_6811999220498615426_o

That’s pure art to me. Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

1. Allan Folz on January 12, 2016 at 21:52

And that is why I never miss a post.

2. LaFrite on January 13, 2016 at 02:15

I like the last “Sincerely” 😀 Can’t be more true!

3. sassysquatch on January 13, 2016 at 05:21

In 1971 I read Thompson’s classic book, ‘Hells Angels’. It is one of my all time favorite books. His description of a chopped Harley between your legs as a ‘King Kong equalizer’ is PURE GENIUS.

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2016 at 08:06

He got his ass beat for real during his research on that.

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2016 at 08:13

“As your attorney, I advise you to pass me the drugs.”

— Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

• sassysquatch on January 13, 2016 at 08:36

Where are you when we need you the most, Hunter?

4. Amy on January 13, 2016 at 07:29

My hair blew back a little from reading this. Thank you. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2016 at 08:39

It would be interesting. He never carried water for anyone, but I wonder what he’d think about the Muslim Menace.

• Amy on January 13, 2016 at 09:23

Hard to say. I honestly haven’t read much of him because he used to kind of get on my nerves. I think because he could be a bit too glib sometimes. But honestly, it’s been so long I can’t remember why anymore.

But from what little I know/remember, he was a pretty complex guy, fairly anti-establishment, and definitely infused with a goodly amount of the Beat/Boomer mindset. IMO a lot of the popular reverence for multiculturalism isn’t so much a real value of what other cultures have to offer as it is an avenue for pissing off and hamstringing the established White Western Male Hegemony. The “Muslim Menace” definitely does that, which is why so many liberals are okay with it even in the face of events like Cologne and Rotherham that violate their other sacred cows of feminism, child exploitation, and rape culture. Because pissing off Daddy always should always primary goal in life.

Anyway, this beautiful little bitch slap has piqued me to finally read more of Hunter S. I’ve matured since he last annoyed me so I’ll be giving him a read very soon (probably later today). So thanks for that, too! 🙂

• sassysquatch on January 13, 2016 at 09:24

“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.” Hunter S Thompson.

You’ve gotta love it!

• Amy on January 13, 2016 at 09:26

I can’t edit my comment above, but my main point was supposed to be that I think it’s hard to speculate where Hunter S. would land on the Muslim Menace, given the sensibilities that apparently informed his worldview. But with age often comes new perspective and wisdom, so who knows.

5. Dwayne Lunsford on January 13, 2016 at 12:11

Priceless! And gone much too soon…….

• David Wood on January 18, 2016 at 19:04

Actually, given his path, it was amazing he hung on as long as he did . . .

6. Bacchal on January 13, 2016 at 12:48

There’s a good documentary on NetFlix about him called “Gonzo.” Part of it covers his run for sheriff of Aspen, when he shaved his head so he could make reference to his “long-haired opponent.”

7. Woodchuck Pirate on January 15, 2016 at 11:34

Trump owes something to Thompson. Sadly not enough.

Woodchuck Pirate