I’ve Dropped 13 Pounds In Four Days With No Hunger Or Cravings And I’m Going To Tell You Precisely How

I was in such disbelief when I weighed in on the same Balance Beam Scale I weighed in on Sunday at the gym that I stepped on and off it, checking everything three times, and made sure it balanced at 0.

Yep, indeed. Thirteen pounds since this time Sunday, four days ago. Never have I dropped that much so rapidly—not even LCHF with topped off glycogen…not even close—and not even with the rather uncomfortable 30-hr fasts twice per week I used to do, which usually netted 1-2 pounds weekly in my 2008-2009 endeavor from 245 to 175.

It was so much work and often, brutally painful. …Which is at least part of why I’ve bounced around about 195 +/- on average for a good while, now. But anyway, on Sunday I was a solid 203, probably 203.x. Today, I’m 190, four days later. And it was so damn easy. Not uncomfortable in the slightest, absolutely zero gnawing hunger, no untoward cravings, and often feeling pretty stuffed.

For sure way most of it is water weight, but it had zero whatsoever to do with low carb, ketogenic, high fat, or calorie counting. It was completely ad libitum eating like LCHF is touted, but this is actually more effective, far easier, less craving and no hunger if you don’t want it.

The complete unabridged story and how-to in the next post, coming up later today, more likely in the morning hours of tomorrow.

Until then, then.

Update: The Potato Diet Day 10 Update: Weigh-In, Meals, Workouts, and Blood Glucose Measures

1. Brian on February 25, 2016 at 16:03

Potatoes? ?

• Richard Nikoley on February 25, 2016 at 19:09

Yes, but with significant twists and tuns.

2. Alex on February 25, 2016 at 18:03

Fascinating.
    I’ve be considering trying the potato hack.
    I’m curious to hear how much water weight regain you experience.

3. Eric on February 25, 2016 at 19:23

Is 4 days the limit, or can you go longer and experience even more dramatic results, without risking some kind of malnutrition

• Richard Nikoley on February 25, 2016 at 21:10

No limit so far as I know. Populations have lived for years on nearly nothing but potatoes.

I’m riding this bus all the way to about 165 steady.

But it has convinced me that potatoes will fill a very sunstantial part of my diet from now on.

• laFrite on February 26, 2016 at 06:12

Add non potato items regularly like dairy, fish, nuts, fruits. No crazy amounts, just enough to kill the boredom a few times a week. You can live like this for quite some time with a very tight food budget. But make sure your spuds are organic at least. Better still, grow them yourself.

4. Brian on February 25, 2016 at 19:26

Give me a hint. I wanna start tomorrow…you tease

5. Mycroft Jones on February 25, 2016 at 19:35

You had my curiosity sir, but now you have my attention.

6. wallycat on February 25, 2016 at 20:14

Potato starch + probiotics + ??

7. Richard Nikoley on February 25, 2016 at 21:11

Ok folks, just wait for the post. Sometime tomorrow.

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 01:53

Now you can see why my 26 pound weight loss in 30 days (even with 6 days mixed in of eating whatever I wanted) is VERY doable.

As you’ve experienced – potatoes (and oatmeal) are very good at dropping inflammation in a HURRY. Thus the ‘water weight’ loss. BUT, so what if the first few days are mostly water weight……..the water weight has to come off too (first)!

Keep at it….165, here you come! This is actually kind of fun!!

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 02:10

And a very nice side benefit to this style of eating: my grocery bill from ‘Whole Paycheck’ (WF) has dropped by at least 50%.

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 03:32

How are you doing the beans? I tried some kidney beans, pressure cooked til soft, then ran them through the meat grinder, then put them in the mixer to blend them in with the mash potatoes. I felt really full, but can’t say I lost weight just from that two days batch. The beans and potatoes were about equal by weight. How are you doing the ratios of beans/potatoes?

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 04:31

I always make my beans in a crock pot, on low,throughout the day. I mix with a pint of organic salsa (plus water) and season to taste – then I put them in the refer.

The last time, I mixed some oven fries (cooled in the refer) in with my beans. I just heat the whole mixed mess up in the microwave…TASTY!

I prob used a pound of potatoes and no set amount of beans (a bunch).

Your mashed taters sound tasty.

The batch of beans I made yesterday, I just dumped 21/2 pounds of quartered taters in with my usual bean mix in the crock pot. They are in the refer – I’ll see how that tastes at my next ‘beans and taters night’.

• Richard Nikoley on February 26, 2016 at 06:50

It’s way fun. So easy, effortless, to run a yuge caloric deficit without hunger and without compromising on nutrition.

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 07:17

I was in the same boat with the LC B.S. But without it, we wouldn’t be here where we are! It’s ALL a learning experience. And the combined input from FTA is what created it all.

I am VERY THANKFUL to all.

• LaFrite on February 26, 2016 at 09:09

@Richard
      Not to mention the ever elusive quest to find the best low carb bread recipe … fat bombs would be a better name if you asked me 😀 But it’s always fun to toy around new recipes in the kitchen … funny how all those experiments are now behind! I have not baked a low carb something for like 3 years or so! My food budget has been under tight control since!

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 14:28

sassysquatch: thank you.

Recipe as follows: 5 pounds of potatoes, half litre of beans. Beans are 10 years old, had to pressure cook them for an hour to make them soft. Adding a tablespoon of baking soda helped too. Set up the meat grinder on the Kitchen Aid, ground the beans into a paste. Peeled the boiled potatoes using my fingertips and fingernails, then put the mixing paddle on the Kitchen Aid and blended potatoes and bleans together into a paste. After reading what Richard wrote about moving the milk from oatmeal day to potato day, I put parmesan cheese into the mix, about 100 calories worth. Then melted a slice of havarti cheese over top afterward.

Today I did a radical experiment; I stopped trying to spice up the potatoes. I did just potatoes (5 pounds, pressure cooked then peeled) with salt (4 teaspoons) and thyme (1 teaspoon) and paprika (1 teaspoon) and 1 cup of water. Mashed it up with the mashing paddle in the Kitchen Aid mixer. Finally, mashed potatoes I could enjoy. I actually couldn’t tell the difference from when I used to douse it in large quantities of olive oil. It was tasty just as it was. I know it was tasty, because my son tasted it, then went and grabbed a bowl and helped himself to a whole bowl.

I have a tooth abscess. Since going on the potatoes last week, the abscess has subsided. No pain. It is still there, but it is much better.

I use a kitchen scale for everything, one for kilos and one for tenths of a gram. When you say “quantities” of beans, do you mind measuring? How many pounds of beans, how many pints of tomato sauce, etc. Rough ballpark numbers are fine.

Tomorrow I’ll start putting tiny quantities of borax into the potatoes. (1/3 of a gram) A quick experiment today shows that borax acts as a sweetener when combined with potatoes. I was surprised.

8. Mords Jay on February 25, 2016 at 23:59

Lipo?

• Richard Nikoley on February 26, 2016 at 06:53

Unlikely. If I was going to pay for that procedure, I’d have had them suck the whole 30.

9. Gordon on February 26, 2016 at 06:36

I may have missed the latest thinking on water weight. Is it a sign of adequate glycogen stores (good?) or a sign of inflammation (bad)?

• tc on February 26, 2016 at 07:07

I was wondering the same thing.

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 07:23

If you are an American, living in America – you can bet your ass it’s probably inflammation. But, whatever, it is unwanted excess.

10. EF on February 26, 2016 at 07:04

Yep – so I did a 4 day hack just before christmas.

Did not weigh myself but suit coat went from uncomfortably tight when buttoned to loose. I went pretty traditional- potatoes only with small amounts of ketchup, mustard, or vinegar. Always salt. I thought baked Yukons were the best. Always cooked cooled and reheated.

The weight loss I expected but the hunger suppression is truly remarkable. I am a bigger guy who likes to eat and I simply was not hungry. Never happened like that before. I will do another hack in the next few weeks.

11. Leah on February 26, 2016 at 07:12

I worked in a gym during college. Watching the legit body builders shred for contests usually only showed them eating 2 things: chicken breast and cold baked potatoes plain-straight out of the refrigerator. The amount of weight they would drop in no time was shocking.

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 07:46

Clarence Bass – a 78 year old former Body Builder and Olympic lifter, that used to write for Muscle and Fitness magazine – has eaten a diet of mainly beans, whole grains, milk, eggs, nuts, veggies and fruit for the last 40 years. The man is still R-I-P-P-E-D at 78. Probably carries 8% or less body fat. You can check him out at cbass.com

But the bulk of his diet is CARBS (plants), much like what we are talking about here.

I exchanged emails with Clarence the other day and we talked about adding potatoes to his (and everyone’s) diet. He agreed with me that they are a great food.

I truly believe you can get shredded with a high starch diet. I can see improvements in my physique, daily. And I’m also an old fart (61).

• Leah on February 26, 2016 at 07:57

One guy would take two extra large cold baked potatoes and smash them semi-flat with the palm of his hand, salt them, and then put a baked chicken breast in between and eat it like sandwich. I had forgotten about the amount of cold potatoes they would eat–probably too many years of reading low-carb dogma. I am thankful for the reminder from Richard, Tater Tot and everyone else on this website for the reminder that starch is not evil. Rice and potatoes have made me feel so much better after years of LCHF.

• natty on February 26, 2016 at 10:19

Thanks for the Bass reference. Have been on his site for hours now.

• David on February 26, 2016 at 16:21

I think he’s right about the full fat dairy. I had positive results going from skim/2% dairy to organic full fat. (Mostly whole milk and yogurt)

• tatertot on February 26, 2016 at 17:31

Leah – I have been thinking about the bodybuilders eating just chicken and rice or chicken as potatoes, as you observed. A couple things: These are whole foods, nothing processed and no additives. These are very simple diets which lead to an explosion of gut bacteria diversity.

12. Austin on February 26, 2016 at 09:31

Perfect time for motivating me to try this again. I’ve slowly put on 40 lbs after starting paleo 4 yrs ago and slowly falling back into the SAD. I just started the beginners stronglifts 5×5 program so this will be good time for me to add it in. In the past I’ve done the potato only hack and it semi worked until getting bored of it. Looking forward to your method of keeping it interesting.

13. king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 09:47

My first thought was you took a 10 pound toilet break with a little water loss thrown in but of course, it must be potatoes.

How about potatoes and the odd bit of beef liver thrown in? That would prolong the length of the fast with the added nutritional profile would it not?

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 10:46

Was anything mentioned about fasting?

Just wondered why you mentioned it?

• Austin on February 26, 2016 at 11:12

I think it was mentioned just for comparison. After I started with paleo, fasting came up the next best thing so I gave it a shot with 24-36 fasts and only lost weight temporarily.

• king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 11:14

Sorry. Let me connect the dots for you. If you’re not eating, you’re fasting. So unless you’re eating non-stop, you’re fasting between meals (dot 1).

If you’re nutritionally satisfied, you’ll naturally fast longer unless you’re going to force feed yourself (dot 2).

• sassysquatch on February 26, 2016 at 11:25

Thanks for the dots.

Instead of IF, we can call it AF – always fasting, unless you are eating non-stop.

• king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 12:09

Glad I could help. I aim to please.

Always fasting (AF as you call it) is the same as never eating though. If you did that you would die much sooner than normal.

Always fasting unless you’re eating is a logical fallacy. The same as being a virgin unless you’re having sex.

• king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 12:14

Eat once and you’re no longer #always fasting. Have sex once and you’re no longer a virgin. See how it works??

• king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 12:52

The words dinner and breakfast both have their original meaning as “to break fast”. Look here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_breakfast

Sassy, you have been owned like a pair of Kanye’s Yeezey sneakers brother. Time for you to pay the piper boy.

• solver on February 26, 2016 at 13:11

Whao! Sassy. When a brother be paying $1,500 for a pair of Kanye Yeezys then trust me: he been owned!

14. solver on February 26, 2016 at 13:18

Where can I buy a meal planner for the potato hack diet?

Day 1: potatoes + salt;
    Day 2: potatoes + vinegar;
    Day 3: potatoes smoked in apple wood (date night);
    Day 4: sweet potatoes + cinnamon (cheat day!)
    Day 5: boiled potatoes (bowel cleanse)…

• tatertot on February 26, 2016 at 17:28

haha, love it!

15. Midgy on February 26, 2016 at 14:29

You talk about potatoes being so filling. I’m a 37 year old female. I dabbled with potato-ing a couple years ago, 5 days at a time. It worked well and I want to get back to it. But the reason I keep failing this year – the potatoes are filling while I eat them, but literally an hour later I feel STARVING (it was just as bad the other year). That annoying, won’t go away hunger that you can’t stop thinking about (so then I eat dark chocolate). I always eat cooked, cooled, then reheated to just warm (just salt and pepper). A bowl full, almost a pound worth. Just wondering if you have an idea why I get hungry so fast? (Im not diabetic either). Could it be just whacked out lady hormones from eating shit the past year (taco bell, etc). Do you think the hunger will improve? I would appreciate your input. I’d like to stick with it this time (without feeling hungry all day).

• Fay on February 27, 2016 at 06:24

Midgy,

I have the same problem. Frustrating, isn’t it? I hope you get some responses, cause I am interested in hearing what others have to say. I wish one thing would universally work for everyone. But the individual differences in us make that impossible. That is what gets so discouraging at times – the quest to find what will work for me (when everything I try works for others, but I don’t get the same result.)

• Richard Nikoley on February 27, 2016 at 09:55

Midgy and Fay:

OK, new post is up.

See in particular the section on “your stupid dog brains,” which I added to the final draft this morning just for you too. No offense. We all have them.

I would suggest not reheating the potatoes. Set them out in the morning. Eat them at room temp and if that doesn’t whip your dumb dog brains into submission, then eat them cold, straight out of the fridge plain, no salt, seasoning, or anything.

Best wishes.

16. Brian on February 26, 2016 at 15:57

Mycroft Jones- you said something about adding borax to your potatoes. Isn’t that soap and aren’t you afraid of farting out bubbles like a Lawrence welk show?

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 16:19

Baking soda and table salt are also “soap”.

Countries with high boron content in the soil, have low arthritis levels. Boron deficient countries have high arthritis.

I tried to get several arthritis sufferers to try borax. Finally, an archaeologist friend gave it a try, 1/8 teaspoon of borax per day. Just like the article said, after a week, he noticed the pain considerably diminished. Then he stopped, and over the course of a week the pain came back.

Typical American gets 4mg boron per day; in France apparently it is 40mg. When I did my personal experiments with borax, I had some behavior changes consistent with an increase in testosterone. The French reputation for being oversexed, maybe there is a boron connection?

1/3 of a gram of borax gets you 40mg of boron. Pocket scale (aka “dealer scale”) costs $10, and measures things in tenths of a gram, so it is easy to get the right measurement for this. Richard is welcome to drop an Amazon affiliate link in at this point, to a product like the American Weigh Scales ACP-200 Digital Pocket Scale, 200 by 0.01 G

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 16:37

Here is a snippet from the link I just gave. I think the boron connection ties in with the iron and magnesium research Richard and the Duck Dodgers have been posting; all part of a bigger picture of inter-related pieces. Boron is also an anti-inflammatory and fungal.

The Arthritis Cure of Rex Newnham

In the 1960’s Rex Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D, developed arthritis. At that time he was a soil and plant scientist in Perth, Western Australia. Conventional drugs did not help, so he looked for the cause into the chemistry of plants. He realized that plants in that area were rather mineral deficient. Knowing that boron aids calcium metabolism in plants he decided to try it. He started taking 30 mg of borax a day, and in three weeks all pain, swelling and stiffness had disappeared.

He told public health and medical school authorities about his discovery but they were not interested. However, some people with arthritis were delighted as they improved. Others were scared to take something with a poison label on the container and meant to kill cockroaches and ants. Eventually he had tablets made with a safe and effective quantity of borax.

Within five years and only by word of mouth he sold 10,000 bottles a month. He could no longer cope and asked a drug company to market it. That was a major mistake. They indicated that this would replace more expensive drugs and reduce their profits. It so happened that they had representatives on government health committees and arranged that in 1981 Australia instituted a regulation that declared boron and its compounds to be poisons in any concentration. He was fined $1000 for selling a poison, and this successfully stopped his arthritis cure from spreading in Australia. (2)

Subsequently he published several scientific papers on borax and arthritis. One was a double-blind trial in the mid 1980’s at the Royal Melbourne Hospital which showed that 70% of those who completed the trial were greatly improved. Only 12% improved when on placebo. There were no negative side-effects, but some reported that their heart ailment had also improved, and there was better general health and less tiredness. (3)

Most of his later research was devoted to the relationship between soil boron levels and arthritis. He found, for instance that the traditional sugarcane islands, due to long-term heavy use of fertilizers, have very low soil-boron levels. Jamaica has the lowest level and arthritis rates are about 70%. He noted that even most dogs were limping. Next comes Mauritius with very low boron levels and 50% arthritis. The daily boron intake in these countries is less than 1 mg/day. An interesting comparison is between Indian and native Fijians. The Indians are estimated to have an arthritis rate of about 40% and eat much rice grown with fertilizer while the native Fijians with an estimated arthritis rate of 10% eat mainly starchy root vegetables grown privately without fertilizer.

The US, England, Australia and New Zealand generally have average soil-boron levels with an estimated intake of 1 to 2 mg of boron and arthritis rates of about 20%. But Carnarvon in Western Australia has high boron levels in soil and water, and the arthritis rate is only 1%. It is similar in a place called Ngawha Springs in New Zealand with very high boron levels in the spa water which is curative for arthritis. Actually all spas reputedly curing arthritis have very high boron levels. These are also high in Israel with an estimated daily boron intake of 5 to 8 mg and only 0.5 – 1% arthritis.

Bone analysis showed that arthritic joints and nearby bones had only half the boron content of healthy joints. Equally, synovial fluid that lubricates joints and provides nutrients to the cartilage is boron deficient in arthritic joints. After boron supplementation bones were much harder than normal and surgeons found them more difficult to saw through. With additional boron bone fractures heal in about half the normal time in both man and animal. Horses and dogs with broken legs, or even a broken pelvis, have fully recovered.

Borax is also effective with other forms of arthritis, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Juvenile Arthritis, and Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus). For instance Dr Newnham saw a young girl aged 9 months with juvenile arthritis. He was able to cure her in 2 weeks.

He wrote that commonly people can get rid of their pain, swelling and stiffness in about 1 to 3 months. Then they can reduce treatment from 3 to 1 boron tablet (each 3 mg) per day as a maintenance dose so that they can avoid any future arthritis. He also stated that patients with rheumatoid arthritis commonly experienced a Herxheimer reaction and that this is always a good prognostic sign. They must persevere and in another 2 or 3 weeks the pain, swelling and stiffness will be gone. (4,5)

I found this statement not only interesting but also surprising. The Herxheimer reaction is an early aggravation of symptoms with increased pain. It is commonly due to toxins released by killed Candida and mycoplasma. This is very common with antimicrobial therapy, and borax definitely is an exceptionally good and strong fungicide. What surprises me, however, is that this fungicidal effect is already present at this rather low dose of 75 to 90 mg of borax. Equally surprising is the finding that also up to 30% of those with osteoarthritis experienced a Herxheimer reaction, suggesting that the border between osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis is rather fluid.

• SteveRN on February 27, 2016 at 08:20

Thanks Gemma, I will check that out. I think upping intake from food as much as possible is probably the way to go, but, if you are cutting calories at the same time, can be tricky without supplements at times.
      By traditional supplements, I mean something in a pill form, like this……………… The bottle lists it as a different form of Boron than the form you mention above. I know with Mag, you kind find a ton of disagreement of the most useful form to take.

• SteveRN on February 27, 2016 at 03:22

So, I only had time to skim this, but if I read it right, the only reason to use Borax rather than a traditional supplement, is cost? I am tempted to try and get my wife to try it, she has bad arthritis, but I think just using the supplement alone might be a hard enough sell (she is a natural skeptic, I love to jump on band wagons, but will get off them just as quick!) but I think getting her to take Borax may be a much harder sell. If it seems to help, then maybe I can get her to give it a try, she loves to cut costs where she can. If not, my gun collection would be much nicer. 

• Mycroft Jones on February 27, 2016 at 06:18

If you can find a traditional boron supplement, then good. I had a hard time finding it in Canada, and it is even harder in Europe. But borax is cheap and easily available in North America, so far. Europe has really clamped down on it.

If I were you, I’d talk to her; borax in such small amounts, you put it in your mash potatoes or whatever, and you can’t taste it at all. A less ethical person could slip it into the food unnoticed. And the unscented borax is very pure and safe.

• Gemma on February 27, 2016 at 06:32

@SteveRN

“the only reason to use Borax rather than a traditional supplement, is cost?”

Define traditional supplement.

Interestingly, the kidnes stones study linked above used sodium tetraborate as boron source (= borax).

“During treatment period, he received 20 mg boron supplement (2*10 mg capsule) per day. The capsules were formulated and provided by a pharmacist colleague, using sodium tetraborate (Merck- Germany) as the source of boron.”

• Mycroft Jones on February 27, 2016 at 06:35

Gemma, thanks for the links, interesting stuff.

The only remaining things to add from my personal experience is, it is really tough to convince people to try it, even though they have crippling arthritis pain. The archaeologist only tried it because of mutual respect, and he has had his own success with figuring out medical stuff that went against received wisdom.

Also, although boron is a fungicide, it did NOT cure my athletes foot and it did not clear up my yellow toenails. That has responded to soaking the feet in copper sulfate solution. Although it SHOULD be safe if you don’t ingest it, I can’t recommend it because I don’t know enough chemistry.

• Gemma on February 27, 2016 at 06:44

@Mycroft

I’m curious… How long have you been using borax?

@SteveRN

Foods high in boron include poppy seeds, dandelion root, prunes, raisins, honey…

See Tables 9 and 11

• Gemma on February 27, 2016 at 08:34

@SteveRN

Your product lists Calcium Borogluconate, 3mg of B / capsule.

Another available form would be calcium fructoborate – naturally found in fruits etc.

The therapeutic dose seems to be much higher than 1 capsule (3mg/day) though…. think 10mg, 20 mg of boron.

17. David on February 26, 2016 at 16:00

What was your keto-meter reading for the 4 days?

• king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 16:58

Lol! You are a very funny man David.

• Richard Nikoley on February 26, 2016 at 19:55

Lol. I have a big section on that topic in the next post. The whole keto thing is a huslle and I’ll show you why.

• Martin on February 27, 2016 at 07:00

Well, if you reduced total calories enough, you’d get ketotic, on any macro intake. I’m sure a calorie reduced potato-only diet could be ketogenic. The question is if it matters?

• Richard Nikoley on February 27, 2016 at 07:51

Ha, Martin, wait til you read the next post. I address that in depth. It’ll be up within an hour. Just final touch ups.

18. Marc on February 26, 2016 at 16:40

Richard,

“To think of all those years squanderd on LCish stuff, 50%+ fat intake, shooting myself in the foot….”

That’s a BS comment…. You wouldn’t be here today without it.

Can’t wait for the post . I dropped 15 pounds in 2 .5 months …got to calorie reduction by most nights during the week having one glass of red wine no dinner. No hunger at night from my meals,during the day even though they were light on the calories. Wll tell you what it consisted of when I read your next post 🙂
    I’m very curious…

• Martin on February 28, 2016 at 12:50

Marc, Richard’s story is out. What’s yours? 🙂

19. king of the one eyed people on February 26, 2016 at 16:59

Tomorrow is here already. Stop holding out on us Richard.

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 17:32

Shhhhh. The maestro writes when he is good and ready.

20. wallycat on February 26, 2016 at 18:42

Mycroft, the boron info is right on for bone health (prune study showed 10 prunes/day can increase bone mass; calcium, zip). Here is a caveat…estrogen dependent cancer folk may need to watch boron intake–it increases estrogen levels.

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 20:10

Good caveat. Is that type of cancer very common?

• Marybeth on February 29, 2016 at 16:38

Breast cancer is estrogen sensitive.

• Gemma on March 1, 2016 at 00:35

Re boron, estrogen and breast cancer: big picture, please.

Boron Compounds in the Breast Cancer Cells Chemoprevention and Chemotherapy (2011)

• Marybeth on March 1, 2016 at 06:02

@Gemma, I should have done my research before posting, as I came across the same PDF article. Thank you!

@Mycroft Jones and Gemma
      I would like to try boron for my RA. I had read about the formula of mixing 1 teaspoon borax (20 Mule Team brand)
      with a litre of water. Use 1-3 teaspoons a day depending on health. Any remarks?

• Gemma on March 1, 2016 at 22:30

Marybeth

No, I don’t “supplement” with boron, I always prefer whole, natural sources – for anything. For instance I found that a local mineral water with proven heakth effects is high in boron (plus other minerals). But if I had a condition that is shown to benefit from increased boron intake, I would seriously consider a supplement. Borax reacts with stomach HCl and gives boric acid, which is the normal form of boron in the blood. However, the above linked papers suggest that once inside the cell, boric acid works differently than boron bound compounds (fructoborate etc) from fruits and veggies. Who knows. So maybe mixing the forms would be preferable.
      I cannot advice you on the dosing, not only because I have no idea how big your spoon is, perhaps you should visit forums where people with similar conditions discuss borax dosing. The link should have served for you to see that there is roughly 10% boron in borax, so you can easier weight and calculate.

• Gemma on March 1, 2016 at 07:41

Marybeth

There is about 11% of boron in borax, in weight, see here:

So you can calculate how much you want to take.

• Marybeth on March 1, 2016 at 12:49

Gemma,
      Thanks for the link and I guess I have a lot to figure out. The quick glance made me think I was looking at something way over my capacity. But I am going to give it a try to see if I can make heads or tails of it. Do you use boron as a supplement?

21. Mike Wismer on February 26, 2016 at 19:12

My social life equals Friday night contemplating eating laundry detergent while waiting for a blog post about potatoes. If my younger self could only see me now :p

• Mycroft Jones on February 26, 2016 at 20:05

I showed your comment to my kids. They laughed as hard as I did. Richard sure is a master of suspense. I’m sitting here on a Friday night, sipping a beer, and clicking the refresh button too.

I started the potato hack 2 weeks ago, did it well for 5 days, lost 1 notch on my belt. Ate whatever I wanted for the next 3 days, then sort of got back to beans and potatoes, and I’m back up 2 belt notches. Just weighed myself; I’m back up to 218. My ideal weight is 165. I don’t know if the salt is the culprit, but I’m going to stick to boiled potatoes, salt, and NO oil for the next few days. Depending on what I read when Richard makes his post… might add in the banana/oats days too. I grew up on big breakfasts of oats, with lots of bananas, milk, and brown sugar. I sweetened those oats until they were like candy bars. I was lean and trim. I didn’t start gaining weight until I stopped eating oats for breakfast. Stopped eating breakfast entirely.

22. Richard Nikoley on February 26, 2016 at 20:08

The new post will be out in the morning. Almost done. Plus, I’m going to have Tim take a look at it before I publish.

I’ll let you all know the moment I send it to him so you can proceed to pester him.

• Nicole on May 5, 2018 at 10:58

Where is the new post on the borax weight loss?

23. Richard Nikoley on February 26, 2016 at 22:54

Ok, the draft is done. A monstrosity at 4,267 words with lots of graphs and pics.

It’s in Tim’s hands now. So bug him. 😉

But seriously, I’ll integrate any input I get from Tim, give it a couple of reads, and hit publish in the morning hours, Pacific time.

24. Sean on February 27, 2016 at 00:42

What do you drink during times of potato unfamine? I presume coffee, tea and water but what about things like milk, diet soda and other stuff like that?

25. Martin on February 27, 2016 at 07:04

I think many of remember the time we discovered LC diets. Weight went down fast, initially lots of water and then fat. It worked like a miracle, tor a while. Then it seemed to stop working. So we started experimenting with other factors. In the end we realized certain interventions work initially and then they stop. Why would it be any different this time? Why are you so sure that the hunger suppression effect of potatos will be valid mid- and long-term, why would it last any longer than is the case with e.g. coconut oil?

• Richard Nikoley on February 27, 2016 at 09:48

How about you argue against yourself and speculate about why?

Try making some critical distinctions. Are you taking an actual position? If so, simply saying “it’s food, so it’s going to be the same, because it’s food and I dare you to disprove my negative” isn’t very convincing. Certainly not worth my time.

• Martin on March 1, 2016 at 04:51

I will refrain from any theoretical analysis and will simply try it. I don’t have much weight to lose but I’m truly interested in the appetite suppression effect. Started the experiment today.

Now, many people who read your stuff do expect a miracle. Some of them might get disappointed, consider e.g. the guy who went paleo and gained 40lb. It is not difficult to abuse any diet. From reading some of your recent posts I take you started working on a mindful approach to eating. This might be the key here as well…

As said, I’ve started the potato intervention today. Got a couple of cold potatoes for my noon breakfast. 2 hours later I’m still not ravenously hungry, let’s see how it goes 🙂

26. Richard Nikoley on February 27, 2016 at 08:30
  27. Sean on March 1, 2016 at 13:07

Put me on the list of those with joint stiffness with potato hack. Could hardly write with a pen last night; handwriting was atrocious. Sleeping was a bit off since I had to keep adjusting since it kinda ached.

I wasn’t *exclusively* potato (there were a couple of sweets thrown in but nothing egregious) but that’s pretty much it.

28. Richard Nikoley on March 3, 2016 at 12:54
  29. […] I’ve Dropped 13 Pounds In Four Days With No Hunger Or Cravings And I’m Going To Tell You Precise… […]