Short & Sweet Super Bowl Notes

I do like football, even though the 49ers suck because of woefully stupid owners who have ambitions such that they’re willing to fuck a team and its fans in order to give ultimate impressions that they have a clue as to what they’re doing in terms of being a winning football team. They make lots of money, though. There’s that.

I digress.

Because we live off grid on solar and battery, we get most TEEVEE via Internet. We get a couple of the major networks via antenna. Not CBS, though, but we wanted to watch the SB. But, we didn’t want to go to a sports bar, didn’t want to go to an SB party. What to do? Well, because we’re vacation rental owners ourselves and grok the gig, Beatrice went on VRBO Saturday night and found a place for us and three Goddies, 45 minute drive away, in Aptos.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 9.23.59 AM

Notes on the game:

• Lady Gaga did about the best SPB I may have ever heard. It’s always nice when someone famous for superficial trappings can nonetheless actually sing. And sing she did. I recall Paul McCartney saying something once to the effect that no matter what, you have to sing the melody. And that she did, with a moving and emotional performance that still has me uplifted. Her style elements were present, but underrepresented, explicitly to do justice and respect. Thank you, ma’am. Wonderful.
  • I was rooting for the old guy. He’ll be 40 next month. I dislike pretty-boy Cam. I think I saw him chewing gum, once. Men do not chew gum. Men chew meat, drink whiskey, smoke cigars, wage warfare, and worship women.
  • Shootout games can be fun, but it’s only because they both have lousy defense. Defensive games can be boring, when they have lousy offense. This was a game where Denver had a better defense and NC, a better offense. But Denver’s defense just might be the best, error and penalty-minimizing defense in history. Manning wasn’t a Superman, but he was competent and error minimizing enough that the points he put on the board allowed the defense to do its job of just stopping the other team, and not rescuing the offense. In other words, Manning kept the morale of the defense high, and the importance of that cannot be overstated.
  • Beyonce has a fat ass and double thunder thighs now, and if she thinks she can get away with that, then she calculates her fan base as crass, dumb, and undiscriminating. Probably a good bet.
  • It was fun to watch the late and late late night shows live on the west coast. I’m not a watcher of any of them except on occasion, and now that Craig Fergusson is done, well…. But anyway, it was fun, though Colbert’s gig with the Jive Master-in-Chief was perfectly in keeping with the shallowness, insincerity, and irreverence of the left at the exact time and circumstance where such is inappropriate. But, best Ghetto President ever. There’s that.

Finally, James Corden of the Late Late Show and Elton John had me in tears of laf. Good job, mates.

1. mucky on February 8, 2016 at 10:48

He wishes he was a Ghetto Prez…

2. Karl on February 8, 2016 at 11:04

What’s a super bowl? A bowl of fries so huge even Michael Moore cannot fork it down?
    And why do American rugby players hide behind star wars outfits? Would like to see the All Blacks do their thing on them. Helmets could come handy for runny shit.

3. Peter on February 8, 2016 at 15:04

I pretty much dismissed Lady Gaga in her meat dress wearing early days, but she’s since shown that she has much to impress in her bag of tricks. She was adorable and talented in her gigs with Tony Bennett.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2016 at 15:56

Yea, my bro linked me a YouTube of her doing Lady is a Tramp with him. Nice.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2016 at 16:14

Then there’s always Chrisopher Walken reading the lyrics to Poker Face.

4. Corey on February 8, 2016 at 16:00

Maybe the most boring Superbowl in recent memory. Very sloppy, but glad to see Cam get his ass handed to him.
    I think Gaga’s music sucks, but she is definitely talented. Heard her on a Howard Stern interview several years ago during which she played a few songs while playing piano. She was very impressive.
    And I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought Beyonce looked dumpy. I never found her attractive, but she definitely is not headed in the right direction.

5. Geoffrey on February 9, 2016 at 06:22

Cam chews gum in lieu of a mouthpiece, I’d say that’s pretty hardcore.

6. golooraam on February 9, 2016 at 08:07

Hi Richard,

I missed the halftime show as I was driving to another Superbowl party – but what did you think of it? Evidently there was a lot of political hub bub about it… curious to get your thoughts if any, other than the performance aspects…

• Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2016 at 10:04

Just posted this to Facebook a few ago on that very topic:

“Holy shit. There was an underlying political message? To whom? If so, it would surely go WAY over the heads of her fanbase, who like viewers of “Ouch! My Balls!” in the film “Idiocracy,” were all just saying, “baby’s got back!”

“She certainly does. My theory is she’s trying to show up Jennifer Lopez, whose ass is getting bigger again by the week.”

7. Hap on February 9, 2016 at 11:13

Richard….for me your commentary was right on, everything I might have been thinking….soup to nuts. Although I had to work during half time, I saw clips of the worthless entertainment masquerading as social commentary. Lady Gaga?….a really nice surprise.

the game was a masterful demonstration of relentless and super fast NFL leading defense. I’ve never seen anything like this for a long time. Cam Newton had no idea what hit him (those many times). He showed he was not up to the task but can you really blame him? I don’t think anyone would have had a chance. I could blame the coaches who might have prepared better.

I am not a Bronco fanboy. Infact I hate Broncos as I am a perpetually dejected/beleaguered Charger devotee. But this Bronco team is tougher , faster, smarter than the rest and proved it again.

• Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2016 at 12:00

My motto is always bet on the old guy.

I say that with pristime virtuous honesty, no bias whatsoever.

• Hap on February 10, 2016 at 20:07

I did once. His name was Johnny Unitas and he played out his career a loser….with the chargers.

C’est la vie.

8. steveW on February 9, 2016 at 15:19

Rode my bike over to Levi to check things out. While riding on the relatively calm backside (Lafayette St.) a motorcycle cop sped through a red light and almost ran me over – next, 4 limos and several more motorcycle cops – stopping traffic and peds. Come to find out it was Beyonce on her way to do an anti-cop halftime show.
    How is it legal that cops can stop traffic and violate traffic laws for an entertainer. If she’d simply left her hotel 30 minutes earlier there would have been no need to speed.

9. Jeffrey Bergman on February 9, 2016 at 19:33

I think that the Baltimore Raven defense in 2000-01 Super Bowl was equal if not better then Denver’s. I agree completely about thunder thighs Beyonce.