Just Let Life Get In Your Way And Embrace All Experiments

It’s safe to say that for me, the last year is probably filled with more upheaval in my life than ever—and I’m someone who has moved lock, stock & barrel—with cars (and a crotch-rocket) and furniture in overseas shipping containers—no less than four times…US –> Japan –> US –> France –> US.

In the interim since that final return in 1992, I started a 100% self-financed company in a spare bedroom that reached 30 employees in 7,000 sf office space, and I ran it with an iron grip for over 20 years, until I shut it down a few years ago. I might want to start a new company again, someday; but it will have to be something very special…something I can’t not do. The regulatory mess and red tape and bullshit make it less than appetizing for me. More trouble than it’s worth, really, and in spite of $15 million in paychecks signed by me, pride & joy thing. I don’t mind a fight, but I prefer battles that turn on character and will, rather than on thugs and force, with guns and badges. I got tired of paying fucking high-power, connected attorneys $250K per year as a business-license fee.

Fuck that noise.

About a year ago this month I went off for a week to Cabo San Lucas, to stay at a vacation rental I own and rent out in a new, top-rated resort worldwide (I also have a studio). Beatrice, my wife, came out to join me for a few days at the end. When I picked her up at the airport, she looked at me and said: “you need to live here.” So, with her support, I began looking into something to potentially establish an expat foothold where she and doggies might end up as well.

Those who read the history have a whiff of an idea as to what happened. While pussy boys (always pussy boys) chide me in both comments and email, it was simply a failed experiment—one that none of those pussy-boys have ever come close to. Pussy boys, being pussy boys, jeer from the bleachers of life…It’s how they go about attracting stupid women. Anyway, I had the temerity to question a bunch of rich, social-justice warrior cunts in the Lost American-Canadian Suburb (ideologically gated) of Los Zacatitos.

You see, this is a magical place where meteorology doesn’t suffice or necessarily hold true. This is Baja! Has to be Mexican meteorology. You can imagine how that played, with me.

…Far from being like all the other males being led around by attitude-cunts, habitually clicking Like on every heart-warming fart one of the rich bitches might happen to post on Facebook—’cause they feel so deeply about everything in which they have neither the wherewithal, temerity, spirit, will, drive, or ability to do fuck-all about except spend the money they do have, but never do, and only seek to force others—I was telling them that they’re idiots in various ways, alienating them too, ultimately. They knew where their bread was buttered.

The males of Lost Zacatotos never grasped that all the social-justice victim, better-safe-than-sorry crap at any expense—and more—was a function of spoiled brat women who rule the roost, there. Women who do nothing but spend their accomplished and successful husbands’ money in order to then use their faux prestige and pressured privilege to undercut the very gift horse feeding them, on levels of business, economics, and philosophy. It’s nothing new.

…Ironically, my best friend in the community—one of the biggest power-cunt lickers by far, wanting to be friends with influential women because he knew that’s what it takes—was on the anonymous run from his German-Canadian ex-wife, who while never having a hand in the trucking business he created and ran in Toronto, nonetheless sucked $3 million from him. He had zero troubles with vison-resolution on that score. He was simply incapable of discerning levels of the very same thing all around him.

Some men never learn the true essentials of what they’re dealing with.

In the meantime, I took what I learned there for off-grid living, came back, and found a sweet deal. I’ll let the pics talk.

IMG_0132

The grass was 2 feet high. Careful mowing around the solar panels.

IMG_0131

Built a fire pit from brick collected around the property. That was after the mowing, pre weed-whacker.

IMG_0130

Tree trimming too.

IMG_0129

Big space to mow, after the rains and a suitable dry off period.

At this point, I do not want you to freak out. Other than three dinners per week so the lean wife can otherwise get along, it’s potatoes, oats, and beans, mostly. This represents two weeks of those meals and includes a single dessert.

IMG_0328

Eggplant parmesan. Duh. Make sure you give yourself, at least, two hours to heavily salt the eggplant, and drain it out.

IMG_0340

While my favs are still pepperoni (with onions or olive), or, Canadian bacon with mushroom, and I dislike combination pizza, this was fun. Whole grain crust, balsamic reduced figs, and pickled and caramelized red onion with a few Italian kinds of cheese, no sauce. It’s the first non-meat pizza I’ve made at home or ate. Didn’t give me heartburn, and pizza does it more than any other food.

IMG_0336

Made a dessert last week, the only in two week’s time, so don’t go off the rails. Caramelized apple shortcake, and yes, I whipped the cream by hand. You should always whip the cream by hand. It makes you go blind, so your next self-indulgence will be days away.

IMG_0352

Pi day, shepherds.

IMG_0360

Panko crusted pounded chicken breast. The audacity of the accompanying greens speak for themselves. Oh, yeah. Did a horseradish aioli sauce for the chicken.

IMG_0374

A skin-on chicken breast with a mix of whole herbs & spices. A complex dish to cook. First, you saute the onion and fennel (set aside), then you sear the chicken breast, no oil, skin side down (5m). Toss some Yukon Gold potatoes with EVOO and S&P, and place them on a cookie sheet, along with your pan of mostly raw chicken (flipped over) and other root veggies. 15m at 450.

Alright, not sure yet whether to do the New England Pollock Chowder or Beef & Lamb meatballs tonight…nor whether to do the Cinnamon Rolls with blindness-inducing icing tonight, or tomorrow.

In all cases, pics some day coming.

Just go your own way out there, but make it your own. And use your fucking brain.

1. Tom on March 22, 2016 at 15:36

Richard, long time lurker. If you’ve written on this topic before , please point me to the article as I’ve missed it.

I’ve worked my whole career in the banking industry, 25+ years. Never in consumer finance nor as a debt-collector, but still my bread is buttered ultimately in the concept that “I promise to pay” holds meaning.

Possibly I’m biased because of my profession, but I’ve always thought that wrangling or trying to game the system to evade a financial obligation is at root unethical at best. Even more so in the past ten years, when I think of those poor souls who were forced at gunpoint to borrow money, and mortgage their zero-equity houses, nay, their very futures, at terms they didn’t understand and couldn’t possibly have been expected to understand .

So, I’m curious about how you view debt “renegotiation” vis a vis what it jeans to make a binding promise. Putting on my asbestos overcoat, but really am interested in your thoughts 🙂

No potato questions at this time.

• Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2016 at 18:40

Complex question.

First of all, “the promise to repay” indeed is a very valuable thing and must not be taken lightly. It’s the principle reason I have for decades not sided with all the gold bugs and other forms of commodity backed currency. Cat’s out of the bag. You can indeed bet and win on a promise.

We probably agree fully, there.

Thing is, you have to mean it both ways. If you’re going to be in the business of trust, then there will come times when you have to trust just as much that not paying you back, or only a little bit, is in both of your best interests. You also need to consider that if a person is trustworthy enough to promise they can repay, circumstances remaining relatively stable, and mean it which most do, that when they say they can’t, in vastly changed circumstances, then it’s just as trustworthy.

We did not deal in deadbeats. We dealt with people where there was a sudden unemployment and no recovery to near previous levels in a long time. Sudden onset of bad health problems, incapacity, disability, death. Kid causes major expenses (cars, booze, drugs, alcohol, etc.). Close relative problems (widely varied). Failed entrepreneurial endeavors. Etc.

That was the most of it. Never deadbeats.

Institutions are geared toward institutional disposition, i.e., bankruptcy. BK is a good thing (it has a private history as well) because it gives the creditor of measure of trust that the person really can’t pay and from just a business-pragmatic standpoint that’s a great value because even if a total loss, means you can walk away and not lose more, or lament that you might be leaving money on the table.

I simply tried to fill a gap between decent folk in bad circumstances and ultimate BK. So, we created raport over years with all the major CC lenders, the big collection companies and the big collection law firms. Pitch was simple: we’re telling you the truth. You can find out in the BK proceedings where you get zero (99.9% of BK is zero recovery to creditors), or, how about 30, 40, maybe 50% now, way early?

And this is why we could not afford to deal in anyone but legitimate hardship.

• Doug on March 23, 2016 at 05:59

Richard –
      “It’s the principle reason I have for decades not sided with all the gold bugs and other forms of commodity backed currency.”

Can you go further into what you mean?

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2016 at 09:23

Good question.

You can search the blog for more, but “gold bugs” and the like are hyper conservative in terms of financial matters. It’s like all my grandparents who went through the Depression were lifelong accumulators of tangible assets. Property, structures, tools, gear, guns, and all manner of things where value holds pretty well. You can always sell them pretty easily, unlike most throwaway crap people buy now.

But this is also how relatively impoverished societies operate. Makes sence, but it does not really make for a robust, competitive economy where money can move at the speed of light. For that, you need metaphors of money, like promises and trust. Yes, the whole thing is based upon trust.

Think of it as a trust standard instead of a gold standard.

Gold bugs have a decent rebuke. When trust goes out the window, the medium of exchange collapses and I can still sell my gold. It’s likely worth even more. True.

But this is why you need to accumulate both. Tangible assets because, primarily, they are always useful. Tools and guns and working vehicles like pickup trucks are great for that. Precious metals for when shit really goes bad, but the majority, in my view, ought be financial assets backed by the promise of other human beings to do their damn level best for the simple reason that things usually aren’t hitting the fan all the time and financial assets give the average person more opportunity, ease, and efficiency in compounding them over time than anything else.

2. king of the one eyed people on March 22, 2016 at 15:46

So are you in the house or the trailer?

Back to Zactos? Crazy. If not, my advice? Keep the location secret and keep it something special for you and the wife.

• Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2016 at 18:23

The RV. 30ft. Us and 4 dogs. Monitoring all the goings on with reconstruction (used to be a 4-story monster house).

3. gab on March 22, 2016 at 16:38

Lamb and beef meatballs………..yum.

You bin busy!! I washed the windows and thought I’d accomplished something…HA! Glad you have all that energy, Richard. Booyah!

• Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2016 at 18:47

I’ll toss up a Scoutpic next time, Gab.

4. wallycat on March 22, 2016 at 17:08

Wish I liked the sun. We got cheated of winter and all I can do is whine-whine-whine.
    I need a REAL winter home 😉

5. king of the one eyed people on March 22, 2016 at 17:46

Martin Berkan of Lean Gains fame is taking new clients again. Martin likes lots of potatoes with his meat. Maybe this time he can get you shredded? I won’t give up until I see Nikoley shredded.

6. Trou on March 22, 2016 at 18:45

We have the same two options (thanks to you) and did the beef and lamb. It was fucking awesome.

7. art on March 23, 2016 at 10:40

Rich
    Is the delightful sausage who threatened to bury you in the desert still pressing ahead with his legal nonsense?

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2016 at 15:44

Haven’t heard a word since I called bluff and doubled down with two more posts.

8. Journeywoman on March 23, 2016 at 12:03

This has nothing to do with this blog post, but I came to browse, found some topics I want to research, and found there was no search function. Anywhere.

Or am I blind? This is far from my first visit, and I know I’ve used that function before…

Help! Good information here and want to learn more! Just want the research to be easier than having to go through EVERY blog post to find what I’m looking for.

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2016 at 12:45

The redesign put the spy glass up at the top right corner.

Let me know if you can’t find it.

• Jim on March 23, 2016 at 14:27

Looks like you have to click the horizontal bars at the top center. An index drops down, and you can scroll to the last (bottom) item which includes a search field.

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2016 at 18:34

I’m working with the designer to make search a bit more conspicuous.

9. Corey on March 23, 2016 at 12:45

Goddamn I’m jealous of your cooking ability. That food all looks great. I just don’t have the skill to do that stuff. It would take me hours just to get one of those together, and I’d probably screw it up.

• Journeywoman on March 24, 2016 at 13:58

Thank you Jim and Richard…I was beginning to think I was mentally challenged. (The jury is still out! LOL)

10. Todd on March 25, 2016 at 08:14

I went with a VRBO in Maui for my honeymoon and I couldn’t help but think it sounded like a lucrative investment on the surface. Most of the condos were booked up months out, and when I looked at local listings in the area the sale prices seemed fairly reasonable to cover with renting them out. The couple who’s condo I decided to go with were listed on VRBO, but you didn’t have the ‘book it now’ option. I had a nice conversation with the owner when I was booking it, who happened to be a realtor, I asked if it was a solid investment and he said they just kill you on taxes (13.5%) and other stuff over there. So maybe Hawaii isn’t the best place to turn a little coin while having a vacation spot, but it’s still an intriguing idea. I can’t see people losing on VRBO, because otherwise why would you do it?

11. thhq1 on March 29, 2016 at 12:21

Jeez that food looks good. You could grow some big pumpkins there. And read Eat Well and Stay Well if you ever find a copy.

I’ve wondered whether Mexico could function as a stand-in for Naples. You can’t live in a Blue Zone unless you leave Minnesota (in Ancel Keys case), or North Dakota in yours. The upper midwest is a forbidding habitat in so many ways.