Long Time Low-Carber is Finally Successful Shedding Vanity Pounds on The Potato Diet

Yesterday was week three of doing lots of potatoes most days. It’s going well. Didn’t make the weigh in, as I was busy with other stuff, so perhaps I’ll just relax, keep eating potatoes, and drive it home for the 1-month result next Sunday. In the meantime, let’s check on a few other folks and extend some credit where it’s due, eh?

Brian says:

2-week update: down to 224 lb from 235. I’m 6’3″.

Crazy stuff. I’ve eaten more potatoes in these two weeks than have I have in two years. Biggest things I’ve noticed are:

1. less desire to have alcohol – I’m normally a 1-2 glass of red wine guy per night
  2. less desire to eat meat. I’m almost feeling like I’m vegan (omg…did I just say that)
  3. I used to do potato starch but it didn’t nearly have any effect on my appetite so I think I can write that off as cool experiment
  4. been also eating lots of lentils which I think the combo is mighty
  5. not thinking about food really at all. late night binge of a bowl of cereal, jar of PB, etc. are gone.
  6. wondering if the magic will continue or if this is just a temporary situation.

This weekend I’m cooking up a huge portion of Chickpea and Potato Curry from the Moosewood Cookbook. Would love to have others share their updates.

Jonathan keeps it pithy:

Went four days and lost 11lbs.

Now, here’s the click-bait post headlinerCoconutty:

Hello! I’ve been following the potato threads here and on MDA with great interest for at least a couple months now and have been meaning to weigh in, so here goes.

A little background. Female, peri-menopausal. Been doing LC on and off for about 15 years, mostly on. While this got and kept me out of land whale territory, it has definitely lost some effectiveness over time. I’ve been doing battle with the same 10 or so vanity pounds for years.

Is that a rather familiar story, or what? …And right along gender and hormonal realities…

I’d been wanting to do the test Kresser recommends on his website where you eat 8 oz of potato and test BG after one hour. Was aware that my FBG is always in the 70’s or low 80’s but wanted to know what would happen if I ate carbs for any length of time and/or if LC eating was masking a problem – T2 runs very strongly in my family. So I bought a couple bags of organic gold taters from TJ’s and a meter from Walgreens. Of course, in the back of my mind was that if my one hour BG result wasn’t outrageous, then I could eat the rest of those taters and do the hack. 🙂

Frankly, at first, it seemed y’all had totally jumped the shark, then it only seemed semi-nutty, then finally my curiosity got the better of me. Also, I began to recall how Atkins discussed low-fat eating in a not-so-unfavorable way in the very first edition of his book. Does anyone else remember that?

I sure do. In fact, it’s something I used to mention to people often when I read Atkins 1.0 in 1991. It seems to not be fat or carbs that are the problem when inversely proportional, but when both are high (do the math, though…it’s chronic excess calories owing to the energy density of fat).

…Not to put words in the late great Atkins’ mouth, but my vague memory is he said something to the effect that a very low fat, high carb diet wasn’t all that bad in his opinion as another strategy, where people get in all the trouble with CV problems, hyperinsulinemia, metabolic syndrome, and obesity is with a combo of high carb and high fat (especially garbage fats), especially if the diet is also high calorie. SAD in a nutshell. Then I also recalled some of Lyle MacDonald’s writings, particularly his Ultimate Diet book where when one carbs up before depletion workouts, it is kept low fat as possible. So it all began to make more and more sense to me as a possibility.

Yep, classic serious gym and body builder stuff. Lean protein and low-fat carbs. Someone in comments just a few weeks back mentioned how she used to work in a gym that catered to competitive body builders and when they did their cut before a competition, it was lean, dry, skinless chicken breasts and plain, unsalted, cold potatoes right from the fridge. They dropped scary amounts of fat rapidly.

Since my one-hour BG was 109 after 8 oz of plain spud, and I had the meter anyway, all systems were a go on a 2 day trial of the hack.

• Day 1 – Starting weight 144, size 6 jeans too tight for comfort, though wearable. Ate about 2.5 lbs cooked, cooled and peeled spuds, gently heated with salt, ACV, and/or some fat skimmed bone broth. I used the 2 teaspoons of allowed fat in teas using coconut oil as creamer along with a little Great Lakes gelatin (orange label) for froth. Nothing else but water and 10 BCAA capsules.
  • Day 2 – weight 143, ate about 2 lbs of spuds in a similar fashion to day one, except I had 2 T of TJ’s organic ketchup with one meal. Skipped breakfast, wasn’t hungry until about 2. Ate all my taters in a 7-hour window.
  • Day 3 – weight 141. Getting a bit bored of eating taters and besides the plan was just two days. But 141! Hard to argue with that especially since size 6 jeans fit perfectly, not overly snug. And there were a few spuds left in the fridge. As with day 2, not much interest in eating until later in the day; finished up last of the spuds which ended up being about 1.5 lbs peeled. Got a little hungry before bed so last meal was a can of boneless skinless salmon from TJ’s, 180 cal/0 g carb/39g protein/3g fat with 2T kraut.
  • Day 4 weight 140. Went back to how I was eating before more or less for the next week. Low-moderate carbs, moderate-high protein & fat, portion control, 2 meals a day. Maybe a few more carbs, didn’t obsess too much but generally stayed below 75g/day. Likely hit close to 100g carbs a couple of days.

Seven days post-hack – weight 138.5. Nice! Continued to lose a little w/o even trying, which is the exact opposite of this normally plays out. Size 6 jeans were loose and got into size 4 ‘tho a bit tight. Energy is up, feeling good, mood generally mellow. Time for some more tater days.

Hack #2 – two days, similar food items as before + BCAAs. Again, focus was on cooled RS taters to satiety, minimal condiments and fat. 2.5 lb first day, around 2 lb the second day. End weight 136. Size 4 jeans now fit perfectly, even slightly roomy in the waist. In deep ketosis (80mg/dl dark pink) on the morning of day three. Haven’t been able to achieve that in many years no matter how high fat or low carb I go. Frankly, felt a little lightheaded but wasn’t BG; tested and it was neither hypo or unduly high. Almost like I was losing too fast. Fluid and sodium intake was good in case you’re wondering.

Did you catch that? We’ve seen this before. LC and Keto dieters are trying the potato hack and finding, to their shock, that they’re in deeper ketosis! than when on The Real Thing. Of course, this is perfectly normal, because ketosis is primarily an adaptation to chronic undereating. It’s not an LC adaptation, per se. As I’ve said before, LC dieters have co-opted this physiological adaptation and doing so is a bit gimmicky in my view, to put it charitably.

Of particular significance to my mind is-

1. I haven’t been able to lose actual fat at nearly this rate for years. It’s been impossible no matter what I do OR it rapidly returns.
  2. WHR (waist-hip ratio) has dropped from almost .75 to .723. The last time I was at this weight and clothes size, my waist was over 1/2” bigger and that was about 8 years ago before I was peri-menopausal. Couldn’t be more pleased to see some of that belly fat go buh bye, both for health and aesthetic reasons.
  3. Energy was high, mood good and I wasn’t ready to gnaw my arm off unlike every other time an attempt at progress was made. Even exercised a fair amount – trail walking up steep inclines most days on hack and even some lifting the first day.
  4. Got me over the fear of carbs, which is somewhat irrational at this juncture. While I will still likely continue to eat a carbohydrate controlled diet for the most part, it’s great to have something else in the toolbox b/c the VLC tool has increasingly become a dead end.

Started another hack today, about 3 weeks have passed since the last one. Weight is still 136. Ate 2.5 lb straight outta the fridge today peeled as needed with some ACV and salt. Just going to do two days this go-around. Pretty much where I want to be or close, just want 3lbs of wiggle room. No rush for that last 3. Cheers!

Well isn’t that all just wonderfully informative? I hope it inspires others who think we’re all just batshit crazy around here. This woman is someone who clearly understands all the moving parts and pieces. You simply can’t just dismiss her as someone who’s not doing LC right.

I understand well that LC, VLC, and Keto work just fine for many; they like or enjoy it…whatever. But you must admit that by its very nature, it’s predominantly a diet about excluding and not including. It’s defined by what it’s not, and not what it is. It’s kind of like atheism. Rationally, there should be no such thing…but rather, only a word for people who believe in things not in evidence, and that goes far beyond imagined deities. I digress.

With that sort of philosophy baked into the cake—definition by negation or the non-essential—then naturally, everything else becomes heretical. But people being people, forbidden fruit becomes an issue and sinful delights, a problem.

Beyond Coconutty’s vanity weight loss and feeling better about herself, and having a great new hammer in the toolbox, here’s her most important lesson: “Got me over the fear of carbs, which is somewhat irrational at this juncture.”

1. Tim Steele on March 14, 2016 at 15:18

Great comment, Coconutty – What you noticed is exactly what lead me to the journey I have been on for the last 4-5 years.

I stumbled across a couple random, bizarre articles and blog posts from Chris Voigt, Guyenet, and some others who were discussing eating nothing but potatoes and losing weight, I decided to try, and it changed my life.

Of course, being a ‘science guy’ I had to take it to the extreme and coerce thousands of people into trying it via bogs and forums, and I’ve been digging deep into the science ever since I became aware that this “one weird little trick” actually works. Along the way, I found out about resistant starch and all sorts of other fun facts.

For most people that simply have trouble losing and maintaining their weight, they can use the potato hack to drop some pounds quickly and then maintenance doses to keep it off long term.

2. james proffitt on March 14, 2016 at 19:37

Another possible mechanism for this could be serotonin. In the mid 90s I took a form of fenfluramine known as Redux. It was strongly effective for appetite suppression. One of its side effects was dry mouth with an odd taste being left. I experienced this last year when I took potato starch. A psychopharmacologist I work with explained that the gut biome was creating a serotonin “dirty bomb” as opposed to a SSRI with more targeted effects. Now, oddly enough, I am having the same effect from eating five pounds of cooled and re-heated potatoes. Zero appetite with the odd taste and dry mouth.

• Tim Steele on March 14, 2016 at 22:14

“the odd taste and dry mouth.”

That’s also a well-described symptom of ketosis.

3. gucci on March 15, 2016 at 05:46

Hey Richard,
    Long-time reader, first comment. Thanks for the info you put out there; I find it refreshing that you’re willing to experiment, check out evidence and then change your mind/modify views if warranted (and without getting defensive about new orientations)!
    I was extremely lucky to have grown up with Korean parents who generally didn’t eat out when stellar Korean food was available at home. We made all our own kimchi back then (none to be had at the local grocery store in our little hick town) – Rubbermaid barrels full of Nappa cabbage and daikon radish that we buried in the back yard to winter us over. There was always rice and a variety of Korean soups available, and minimal ‘Canadian’ food in the cupboards.
    We discovered roast beef and chicken and pasta and pizza and salads over time for sure, but rarely ate boxed food simply because it was ridiculously expensive and no one liked it!
    I think I was 12 before I tasted Kraft dinner, and realized people actually ate white bread sandwiches of fried bologna and mayonnaise as a regular meal. I couldn’t believe people would want that over a steaming bowl of kimchi/pork belly soup with additional kimchi on the side!
    Anyway, the thing I find the most intriguing about the tater hack is that it IMMEDIATELY eliminates all the background shite that constitutes the mainstream juggernaut of ‘diet/healthy eating/supplement powder/well-being/lose weight/miracle supplement’ designed to bewilder consumers and lighten their wallets. As much as you can trash corporations for their deliberately deceptive marketing; disingenuous use of ‘science’ for spurious health claims; and lab-grown flavour chicanery meant to hook your palate on junk and keep it there; there’s no question that consumers can often appear to be unwilling to think for themselves about their own well-being. The need to follow ‘gurus’ or ‘health experts’ has always been around, I suppose, even if they’re selling dross.
    The staggering simplicity of eating nothing but potatoes for a period of time in order to recalibrate your system, get in some good gut bugs, and subdue the atply termed ‘dumb dog brain’, is an acute rebuke on all levels to the artificiality of the modern relationship between people and food. I imagine that’s quite a paradigm shift for a lot of people, and one they’d resist because it appears far too ‘simple’ and has absolutely none of the bells and whistles and lures of what most have come to expect (and desire) when it comes to yet another ‘miracle diet plan’.
    I’d read about the hack in the past on this blog, on Tim’s blog, Ray Cronise’s site, and was aware of Chris Voight’s potato experiment, so I tried it a couple of years ago. Worked like a dream for me, and all the elements were present: reduced appetite with no cravings, rapid fat loss, good sleep, good elimination. It’s a brilliant tool to have, especially when the science behind it is so solid.
    I’ve told many people about it, and the typical response is a kind of disbelief at its Spartan simplicity. And while I’m the last person to spurn a superbly-prepared meal + wine that represent the height of culinary refinement (especially in Europe), the fact of simple, non-processed food that actually meets our body’s nutritional requirements and allows our system to function optimally seems to get lost in the din of the profit-mad marketplace.
    At the end of the day, it’s true that you have to cobble together for yourself what works for YOU when it comes to good health/weight loss. There will never be a singular template for everyone. But for those who’ve discovered the potato hack and it worked, right on! Worth talking about.
    P.S. J’apprécie aussi ton attachment à la cuisine française et l’importance de bien manger tous les jours! (Wouldn’t be a good Canadian without reasonable French, eh??) Keep up the great blogging!

• gab on March 15, 2016 at 16:20

‘lab-grown flavour chicanery ‘ LOL!

There’s an ongoing study happening in Israel. I think it’s relevent to the current potato hack because it shows that individuals respond differently to different foods.

• Fay on March 15, 2016 at 17:53

Thanks for sharing that link!

4. John Bafaro on March 15, 2016 at 08:30

Hello, curious as to whether it has to be boiled potatoes only. Are baked okay for this hack? Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on March 15, 2016 at 08:46

Sure. Boiled, baked, or roasted (no fat). You can also grill them. I get the variety bags of small red, yellow, purple, slice in half, lay on a preheated grill flesh side down, medium-low heat, covered for about 20 minutes, then turn and cover for another 5 minutes or so. Here’s what they look like:

• John Bafaro on March 15, 2016 at 09:12

Thanks. Don’t need to lose weight, have been doing fine on a LC / Paleo-ish regimen for some time, but thinking this would be good to make my body re-think things, a reset like you say.

• Richard Nikoley on March 15, 2016 at 10:04

Nice example of open mindedness, John. Thanks for sharing it with us.

5. Jamesmooney on March 15, 2016 at 10:18

I stopped after my canned potatoes ran out- one meal. Another thing you mentioned however sort made a light go off. I have been low carb, except for weekends for years. I also enjoy beer, wine and liquor on a daily basis, and not necessarily in moderate amounts. I went back to meat only with no alcohol…… Down 8 pounds! I will bring the potatoes out on the next stall. Pretty sure alcohol makes me fat.

6. Karen C. on March 15, 2016 at 11:37

Condensed story: Back in 2012, I lost much weight from CrossFit and eating lots of potatoes. I have IBS but digest potatoes well, so it was a way of sustaining my activity level. That summer was fueled by eggs with reheated potatoes each morning and a lot of your Paleo “Hamburger Helper”. I was intuitively eating and felt great: happy, well-rested, calm.

Then I got in a car accident and chose to quit CrossFit. When I went back, I let myself be coached into the Zone, then the full LC, then Paleo, on and on. I had never been heavier or more miserable, eventually quitting completely.

I am going to try this potato diet hack, as I know will likely work for me.

7. Jazzy on March 15, 2016 at 19:51

Not sure if I can link to blogs here but please look at Bill’s Lagakos’s latest post titled Amylin (and it’s association with Leptin). It could be one of the many reasons the PH works so well.

8. Marybeth Sullivan on March 16, 2016 at 10:06

I am not in need to do the potato hack as I can’t afford to lose weight. But I do keep a bowl of cold baked potatoes in the frig. I eat them at lunch cold with kimchi and sauerkraut or some leftover dals or a fried egg. I want the gut microbes. I also take the potatoes to snack on while playing golf.
    I have tried to introduce the potato hack to a few “white bread” Americans but they all have this notion that I am
    trying to tell them to eat high caloric starch. They don’t even try to understand the science behind it. Tant pis!

9. coconutty on March 16, 2016 at 14:17

I didn’t expect my first post to the blog to garner this much attention. :0 Nor did I expect hack #3 to be as productive as the other two, because from experience those last 2-5 pounds when I’m already fairly lean are just impossible. Three more pounds lost and half an inch off the waistline. The beginnings of batwings that no amount of triceps and upper body work would phase have also faded away. I’d pretty much given up on those, figured it was inevitable due to aging. Inner thighs have finally leaned out nicely as well.

Waist-hip ratio now .712 (26/36.5) and current weight at 133 (actually it was 134 morning after the hack but more on that later).

This time I did two days during which two bags of spuds were consumed – a 4 lb bag of organic gold from TJ’s + 5 lb bag of reds. Nutrition labels here: http://imgur.com/l9RHaC4

For anyone interested in the fine details, add to that 4 T ketchup, half of a med-large diced red onion, 10 cloves of crushed garlic, lots of Bragg ACV (not measured but at least ½ c), plenty of pink salt/rosemary/basil, 2 c fat skimmed bone broth, 30 g d-ribose, 16 g coconut oil, 35 g of Great Lakes orange label gelatin. Those last three I use in herbal and green teas and froth with a Magic Bullet. And water based on thirst.

On Day 2, all taters were consumed in a 5 hour window (2-7pm). A fair amount of hunger before bed but it was easily enough ignored and besides no more spuds left. I could have had a can of TJ’s boneless skinless salmon (low fat) before bed but abstained because those signals were obviously white adipose giving up the ghost. It was that ‘good’ honest real hunger feeling one gets when you *know* you’ve made some metabolic headway if that makes any sense. Five grams of d-ribose in some herbal tea sufficed nicely to take the edge off, and even if it hadn’t, no way was I giving in.

Morning of day three I woke up in deep ketosis (80 mg/dl*) with zero appetite weighing 134. FBG was in low-70’s which is typical for me *on a lower carb diet*. No hunger or eating other than teas and some water until about 9 pm or so, at which point I was ravenous and wolfed down a tin each of Wild Planet sardines and Crown Prince smoked oysters, both packed in olive oil – and yes, I drank every drop and enjoyed it immensely. Beverage was 6 oz of beet kvass with some fresh squeezed lemon, then to bed at 10:30. Slept well. Woke up today still in deep ketosis and another pound lighter (133). Any digestive distress (gas) was totally absent during this round for a change. Not a peep.

* The only time in my life that I’ve ever experienced ketosis this deep was when I first discovered Atkins and only for the first month or two. It’s usually trace or nil, maybe on the low side of small (15 mg/dl) and only if I go VLC/high fat/low cal and also watch the protein carefully.

Well, I guess that ends the journey since I’ve reached ‘goal’. Thanks for all the spuds and catch y’all tater hackers later.

Just kidding. I made a gargantuan pot of potato leek soup today and am looking forward to having some for dinner. 🙂

10. coconutty on March 16, 2016 at 14:49

In case it might have been unclear, the weights/amounts of the additional foods & condiments consumed were a total over the course of the two day hack, not per day.

Also, I ate about 55% of the two bags of potatoes (baked, cooled, and peeled) on the first day and finished the remainder between 2-7pm on the second day.

11. Jazzy on March 16, 2016 at 15:35

Thanks Coconutty. Our stories are very similar and I enjoy your posts. I have only those last vanity pounds that yo yo up and down, although I am also highly weight reduced as well. I’ve been on a recent wild binge and was too scared to weigh myself. Today I start my 3rd day of hack. I got the nerve to finally weight myself and I’m at baseline, so I have lost any binge gain, and from now on hopefully it will be fat loss.

It’s moronic that I would refuse to eat starch/fruits and then I would binge on huge amounts of the crappiest shite. I think I could prob eat a lot of potatoes, no sign of my hunger abating on the third day as some others experience. I can relate to that hunger you speak of, the deep gnawing in my gut at night and I just know my body is burning fat ie it’s the right kind of hunger. Also last I couldn’t resist my favourite diet soda as the PH results in a dry mouth. I took a sip and spat it out! It tasted so horribly revolting sickly sweet and I’ve never experienced that before with my diet soda. The magic of potatoes …..

I do have a few milky coffees but I have come from years of self forced deprivation and just refuse to do potatoes and water, but then as we both have less to lose maybe it’s different. Anyway, I just want to tame the dog and if I lose a few extra pounds it’s a bonus.

12. Carol Hi on March 18, 2016 at 08:44

I had my first migraine in first grade and have since then spent at least half of my adult life either in pain or heavily medicated. For the last few years, I’ve been an on-again-off-again VLC eater. On-again because it’s the only thing that eliminates (not manages, but eliminates) my almost daily migraines; off-again because after many weeks of doing it, I have trouble sleeping past three a.m. VLC works miraculously for the migraines but not so much for a good night’s sleep, at least for me. Add to that that my LDL, which had always been low, is now crazy high. And while I don’t buy into CW re cholesterol, I do think there is a point at which you have to take notice.

So today, equipped with every kind of organic potato Trader Joe’s had, my HC/LF potato hacking begins. Since I love potatoes in perhaps only the way someone of German/Scots-Irish descent can love potatoes, I don’t think this is going to be too hard for me; it just depends on whether or not the migraines come back. I tried your potato soup last week Richard, and I had no trouble at all finishing off the whole pot in one day. That’s all I had all day, and it’s all I wanted.

I’ll keep y’all posted. And I’d be interested in your thoughts on the importance (or not) of eating organic potatoes, especially since I’ll be eating so darn many of them. I’ve done some googling around and for now think I should, for the most part, stick with organic potatoes.

• Jazzy on March 23, 2016 at 23:07

WTF what is this voodoo!! I’m shocked at the change in my body comp during this bout of potato hacking. I have firmed up, mainly in the trunk and thighs, flab gone. I’ve wasted so much time and effort over the last few years going lower and lower in carbs and protein plus more good fats etc. I definitely feel as if I’ve lost fat and gained lean mass. I can feel hard bits under my gut I never knew were there 🙂 I wonder if those of us in particular coming from lengthy LCHF regime could be experiencing such amazing results due to the severe carb restriction over the years ie homeostasis. Who would have thought..potatoes… I don’t agree that it’s just the calorie restriction, there is a change in body comp that no other form of calorie restriction has had this effect. I’ve had LCers mocking me that I’m going to get fat and diabetic on my “peasant diet”; but I can say the results so far have been truly amazing.

13. lori a on March 24, 2016 at 22:05

I did the 10 pounds of potatoes a week diet. I thought, hey, a gluten/lectin sensitivity, nice fried, grilled, steamed, baked, whatever potatoes. Best style, the little red potatoes in a spicy curry. Then reality smacked me, lectin sensitive types of people can also have problems with nightshades. I already had problems with peppers. Then it showed, the potato diet. Hollows under the eyes, an inexplicable weakness, it was a nightshade sneaky problem too. So, the potato diet, I shifted gears out of that.

14. Laura on April 6, 2016 at 03:35

Recently returned to VLC ketogenic diet (with IF to get into ketosis) to lose weight and deal with insulin resistance. About 6 weeks in, I feel angry and semi-violent (of course not acting on this). Not sleeping, which is not helping. While I love that I’ve gone down at least 2 sizes in 6 weeks, I cannot stand feeling this way. I’m going to try the potato hack with testing to see if I can get back to sleep, improve my mood, and still move forward with improved body composition.

I really hope this works, because I’m at my wits end trying to get a metabolism that is sustainably healthy. I tried upping carbs in the past (Paul Jaminet style) with disastrous results – hunger and 35 pound weight gain. So far the only thing that results in weight loss is LCHF w/IF. Hope potatoes can rescue me from this personal hell.

15. GME on December 12, 2016 at 22:09

This is the only blog I have ever come across that has claimed that ketosis is a response to reduced calories. Not only does no one that I have ever read make such a claim, but it is demonstrably not true. It is certainly not true in my personal experience. I have never gone into ketosis simply by reducing calories. In fact, although I have lost over 100 lbs on a low carb diet and kept it off for the past 10 years or so, but I’ve never gone into ketosis when my carbs have been over 40g or so a day, regardless of how low my calories have been.

In my experience, as well as what most people that have written on the subject of ketosis (including medical professionals) ketosis is directly related to whether the body has carbs provided as a fuel source or not. No knowledgeable individual writing on the subject of ketosis in any of the many books or hundreds of articles I have ever read on the subject has ever claimed it has anything to do with the number of calories ingested, nor has anyone ever said it had anything to do with being a “starvation response” as the author tries to assert.

There is a distinct difference between losing weight, even when fasting, and starvation. It is incorrect to refer to losing weight or having any kind of caloric deficit as “starving” in any way. It is no such thing. Medically speaking, starvation only begins when there is no further fuel available to the body, and internal fat reserves have been depleted. Only at that point does starvation begin.

So, two points of misinformation being spread here, one being what initiates ketosis, the other being what starvation is, neither assertion being based on any kind of informed basis, but simply being conjecture on the part of the author, and mistaken conjecture at that.

• Richard Nikoley on December 13, 2016 at 07:36

GME, your comment is too much of a mess to bother with.

Ketosis is a survival adaptation brought on by starvation. It can be induced by means of a diet low enough in both carbohydrate and protein….i.e., mostly fat, but that it not how people typically eat. It’s a therapeutic measure.

In the natural world, ketosis is most commonly the necessary metabolic state when there is none or too little food. You can be in deep ketosis on a 100% sugar or potato diet (and many have done exactly that on the latter). All you need is for intake to be consistently at least 600-800 cal too low.