Low-Carb & Keto Diets Are Good At Managing Diabetes; But Is There a Cure?

Some more interesting findings recently, regarding a potential cure rather than the conventional management of diabetes (Type 2). It goes back a few years—at least, that’s when I first heard it—when someone noted that most patients who had undergone bariatric surgery for obesity experienced a sudden cure of T2DM.

But even earlier, back in 2008, I blogged about Dr. Gabriel Cousens putting a group of mostly obese and sick folks through 30 days of raw vegan eating, curing them.

Reading that post from seven and a half years ago makes me LOL at how easily I missed the boat and dismissed it because it wasn’t “paleo.” Nothing against effective management and some folks in both Paleo and Low-Carb do a damn good competent job at it.

But in all seriousness, what would you be willing to eat or not eat over the space of only a month or two to ultimately return to normal glucose and insulin function, even in the face of a regular intake of carbohydrate? Think of all the finger poking, drugs, insulin shots, and dietary restrictions that would go away and then stay away, provided you just ate sensibly of whole, real food going forward.

Angelo Coppola snooped out the latest: Reversing Type 2 Diabetes: The University of Newcastle Research with Diet Plan.

Promising research from a University of Newcastle team suggests that Type 2 diabetes can be cured in just eight weeks by diet alone. CURED. Their protocol is known to be effective in subjects who have had diabetes for up to 10 years, and they are optimistic about it working for some who have had the disease even longer.

The short term, very-low calorie diet was initially designed to mimic the rapid reduction of calorie intake that results from bariatric surgery—which is known to be effective in reversing diabetes very quickly. In 2011, the Newcastle researchers conducted their first study using the diet, and the results were impressive.

Participants who had diabetes for 4 years or less were placed on an 800-calorie diet. Daily food intake was limited to three liquid meal replacements (totaling 600 calories) and three servings of non-starchy vegetables (totaling 200 calories).

Connecting the dots, what’s the common denominator between bariatric surgery, raw vegan, and this diet? Well, here’s what I wrote in Angelo’s comments (edited slightly):

Well, ought it really matter hugely what one eats in terms of real food at 800 kcal? That’s less than half of requirements for even a small person.

I suspect they do it VLC to dimish the hefty BG spikes the first couple of weeks or so, and perhaps ethical considerations play a role. But the “first do no harm” slogan needs context. Even many life-saving drugs have harmful side-effects for many, but there’s a context and net benefit calculation involved.

I don’t see why it ought be any different here. That liver and pancreas fat is going to clear out on alomst any 800 kcal diet, so why not mimic more like you might be eating whole foods going forward, like with lots of potatoes as I’ll be doing? Yesterday I ate 1 full pound of potatoes after an 18-hr fast and lifting session (mashed w 1 TBS butter and 1/2 C whole milk). A few years ago when I had LC induced insulin resistance, and probably too much liver and pancreas fat, that would have put my BG to 220, but yesterday, it topped out at 163 an hour PP and at 1 1/2 hours, 129.

I still have more liver and pancreas fat to clear out, only day 11 of my 1,200 – 1,500 mostly potato diet. Ate another half pound of potatoes (roasted fingerling, tossed with fresh spinach & a bit of OO) for dinner, along with a chicken breast. An hour after the meal, BG was 127.

So, yep, doable, but I think the LC part is a gimmick. BG spikes for the fist few weeks aren’t going to cause long-term irrevocable damage, can be covered by insulin anyway, but perhaps more importantly, going much higher whole food cellular carb would allow both researchers and test subjects to actually observe the curing process with much higher and more valuable resolution over time.

So, to me, this is just various ways of doing significant caloric restriction, be it via a smaller stomach, a raw vegan diet that’s probably quite low in fat, or a straight-up calorie counting approach. And guess what other diet might just be excellent too? How about The Potato Diet? The Potato Diet Practicalities: Dropping Big Weight Fast With High Energy and Without Hunger. While 800 calories are probably tough, no matter what you’re eating, I’d be willing to bet that it’s going to be easiest on potatoes. And besides, 1,200 is not so hard, so perhaps you do it for 12 weeks instead of 8.

It’s important, however, to understand the fundamental thing going on, which is that this is rapidly clearing out the liver and pancreatic fat which seems to be what’s causing the diabetic symptoms. Hopefully, some of you out there will have the wherewithal to give this a shot.

More detailed info and references at Angelo’s post.

1. Sidney on March 6, 2016 at 18:39

Have you read “The Starch Solution” by John McDougall, M.D.? He’s a big advocate of eating potatoes and other starches with a few veggies thrown in. He talks about how his patients lost a lot of weight following this diet.

• Richard Nikoley on March 6, 2016 at 19:40

Indeed, he has good points, but as vegan rather than omivorous, he’s to be dismissed beyind that as a dishonest person.

• Mike on March 8, 2016 at 05:14

Richard –

Isn’t it about personalization at the end of the day?

As a Type II with diabetes in resmission – I’ve tried eating a high starch diet and just couldn’t get it to work.

Went ultra low fat and even allowed the potatoes to chill – still had sky high glucose numbers.

High fiber carbs like legumes on the other hand – I responded to brilliantly. Even better than butter in my coffee.

Some people in the low carb universe (I consider myself to be one of them) need a way to get past the rigidty of eggs and bacon every day – for me, I’ve found that lentils (yellow dahl), black beans and kidney beans are amazing.

Good glucose response too, feel full and again – not stuck eating veggies and meat all the time.

2. Angelo on March 6, 2016 at 19:41

The Newcastle research appears to be more widely known in the UK than here in the US. Calorie restriction modalities are looked upon more favorably there, too. Anyway, if I had diabetes or a couple of risk factors, this 8-week cure would definitely be something I’d want to know about, and I’m sure I’d want to give it a try—eight weeks that can help avoid a lifetime of maintenance sounds well worth the attempt. Thanks for writing about it, Richard.

Btw, the theory that individuals may have a unique fat limit in the organs before diabetes is triggered could help explain studies showing that some people can be overweight and healthy. Those with higher fat limits and who exercise (higher muscle mass and better cardiorespiratory fitness) are probably the ones doing best.

3. Tim Steele on March 6, 2016 at 21:30

What struck a chord in me from the Newcastle study was that “losing less than one gram of [pancreatic] fat through weight loss reverses the diabetes.”

When I was fat and metabolically deranged, I had that stereotypical “beer belly” that sets apart those with metabolic syndrome. When I was in the military, they stopped weighing people because it was a poor indicator of health, and instead started measuring waists. A bodybuilder would be technically obese, but with a thin waist, whereas the typical lard-ass had no muscle and a big belly.

The real problem, and the Air Force seemed to understand, was that it wasn’t subcutaneous fat that is bad, it’s the visceral fat…the fat that builds around your liver, kidneys, and intestines. Particularly now, it seems, fat buildup in the pancreas can cause problems in insulin production.

I noticed when I got serious about diet and exercise, the belly (visceral) fat was the first to go, this observation is noted in many studies on visceral fat. It is indeed the first fat to disappear in dieting.

I think the Potato Hack is a good way to kickstart this type of fat loss because it seems to be the most rapid fat-loss method there is. The ample calories and food intake prevent any starvation mode signals from happening, and the antiinflammatory and other nutrients coupled with near-zero fat are a prescription for losing visceral fat in a hurry.

Seems to me a guy could do a lot of good with the “over-40 fat guy” crowd using the Potato Hack followed by Plant Paleo. Endpoint being rapid loss of visceral fat and reversal of MetSyn symptoms. It would certainly put a lot of doctors out of work, lol.

I do think it’s easier for guys, in this regard. Women generally have a host of hormonal issues as well that effect fat storage patterns, but the guy with a big belly and MetSyn more than likely just has too much visceral fat.

• Drini on March 7, 2016 at 05:54

Hi Tim, interesting comment.

Is there a way to tell if you to optically tell apart visceral fat from subcutaneous fat?

Drini

• Tim Steele on March 7, 2016 at 07:32

Sure, the fat that you can feel under your skin is subcutaneous fat. While unsightly and unwanted, this fat is not as bad as the fat that forms around your organs.

People that are quite obese most certainly have both types, but some people who genetically don’t grow large deposits of subcutaneous fat can still get visceral fat. These are the “skinny fat” people, with normal sized legs and arms, but a big belly.

If you spend any time in an airport or another “people-watching” spot, it’s easy to see the pattern of visceral fat, in men especially. It kind of goes back to when they were telling us an “apple” shaped person is less healthy than a “pear” shaped, pointing out that fat accumulation on the thighs and butt is subcutaneous fat, while midriff fat is most likely visceral.

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2016 at 08:11

Interestingly, Sumo wrestler fat is nearly all subcutaneous, not visceral.

Saw some documentary on it once. Basically, they work out very hard for hours, then totally pig out, including lots of rice and beer, then go to sleep on a full belly.

• T C on March 7, 2016 at 10:13

Those bellys that don’t jiggle. Like a basketball under their shirt. I’ve always identified that as the visceral fat.

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2016 at 10:41

Exactly right.

• Mike on March 8, 2016 at 05:19

Actually – some research is showing that even visceral fat is ok. It’s really the ‘ectopic fat’ that is the sick / toxic fat that builds up around the heart, in the pancreas and liver.

Taylor’s PSMF is technically a keto diet (he measured ketones to ensure compliance) – I think high protein with some weights is the way to do it for diabetics.

Wish I had the link – I think it was Bill Lagakos – but he speculated that a keto diet could be advantageous to burning off liver fat while general fat loss (calorie deficit) would be good for reducing pancreatic fat.

I’m an old fart – but am doing compound exercises twice a week in the gym to improve my carb tolerance.

• bonni on May 9, 2016 at 11:00

Can someone help me understand how those of us who lose weight/fat with LC, develop insulin resistance if we are presumably losing fat around the pancreas too? I’m trying to connect the dots but can’t seem to get a clear picture.

• Richard Nikoley on May 9, 2016 at 11:04

It’s a different sort of insulin problem. VLC insulin resistance is physiological, happens in muscles and other cells.

This is very minute fat around pancreas cells (we’re talking like 2 grams) that impede insulin excretion.

No, typical weight loss diets do not even touch that fat. That’s why the extreme, 800 calories. This was discovered when bariatric surgery patients suddenly had their T2 reversed. There was a lot of speculation, but it’s now pretty clear that it’s the extreme caloric restriction.

4. MikeT on March 7, 2016 at 14:15

Not sure if the Newcastle study is anything new. I have been following Jason Fung at ever since I stumbled across some of his videos while researching possible treatments for my mother who has diabetes and kidney disease. While he is one of the latest poster childs for LC, his main focus is on fasting or cr as the way to a cure.

• Hap on March 7, 2016 at 14:47

Hi

I recently read Dr Fung’s book. I thought it was on the whole very good. I did some research on a couple of the assertions using the sources listed. He was reasonably “on” although I did find some mistakes. It wasa good enough for me to start a one day /week 24 hour fast, which is working on the scale and on the glucometer. No access to serial insulin testing. I ditched some of the LCHF diet so I consider fasting a sort of semipermanent “hack” and I can hack with potatoes too. Effect likelyto be additive but who knows? I will check out his blog. thanks

• MikeT on March 7, 2016 at 20:59

I think Fund is a pretty sharp and he is dead on regarding the folly of treating T2D with insulin. As far as I can tell, the effectiveness of all approaches including LC, potato hack, fasting etc is calorie restriction and resultant lowering of insulin. The knock on effects are that this will cause you to burn stored fat regardless of what you are eating. Try them all out and see what works for you. I am generally LC as this seems to be much easier, some fasting IF and other days much higher carb mostly in proportion to any hard exercise. Mostly I try to minimize anything that comes out of a box.

5. Stephen on March 7, 2016 at 16:04

I’ve maintained a calorie deficit very easily with 2 lbs potatoes/day plus others foods. I’ve tried with more meat and less starch and have always failed with it. The sleep is better with higher starch. During a deficit, my sleep always suffered with the high meat/low starch. With high starch, it’s consistently good. I’m thinking the rs2 powder helps also.

6. Hap on March 7, 2016 at 09:55

According to dr fung in obesity code….hyperinsulism or insulin related dysfunction poorly understood. all macro nutrients produce 37 percent insulin response. 60 plus a persistent mystery. Need to start moving out of the mental box of bg management. Neuro enteric axis a start and reappraisal of the actions of metformin, the most successful medical treatment in history is another. We,ve become food extremists…..lost our way. Forgot what food is and what for.

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2016 at 10:34

I feel you, Hap.

In fact, for a while, Ive been advising folks to dump the tester. That kind of resolution is double edged.

Test now & then, but billions of people lived long, healthy lives without that sort of worry and nobody will ever know what levels their BG was at.

I firmly believe that the obsessive testing is part of the whole gimmick.

• Hap on March 7, 2016 at 11:49

You are on to it….but it’s not “good” for business:))

Sure , test now and then, vary a healthy diet (ditching processed shit), maybe “hack” it once in a while or semiregularly with whatever, including a short one day fast or potato blow out.

Maybe let the scale be your guide.

• Bob on July 21, 2016 at 11:06

Hap, I like that comment, “Forgot what food is and what for”.. If we viewed food like injecting insulin, we would only eat to maintain a very low body mass index…or to make it easy, our proper waist measurements based on various charts taking into consideration height and bone structure. 5 foot 8 medium to small bone structure should be a 31.2 measured waist. Weight….I don’t even consider it anymore. Eat too much, like insulin overdose, and we might die. Eat too little and the body now must eat not only defective muscle cells by way of God’s blessing of autophagy but good ones as well like the heart muscle and we can die. It is said that the love of money is the root of all evil. I would include that gluttony (which I define as long periods of eating above proper maintenance) is the root of nearly all diseases. By that measure most folks, doctors, the FDA etc, and myself once upon a time, have lost their way indeed. This is a cool, cool site.

7. Glenn Beeson on March 7, 2016 at 10:34

I am game to try.

Last year April, after landing in the hospital for a little CABGx4 action, I was further ‘awarded’ Type 2 Diabetes. Good times.

So – I am almost 1 year diagnosed with type 2 and even with VLC and paleo I have had a freakishly hard time controlling blood glucose; very erratic.

Spuds and rice, 800cal a day is worth a shot. Interestingly enough I have been hearing about this from several different places as of late. Interesting timing.

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2016 at 10:51

Please follow up and keep us informed, but only if meticulously true to the intervension protocal, please.

Fair enough?

• Glenn Beeson on March 7, 2016 at 10:52

Fair enough and can do.

• laFrite on March 7, 2016 at 11:40

Good luck! I have a friend who’s in the middle of it … it’s tough but I keep him motivated. He just went through a week of insomnia, that was rough. He is not in week 4 I believe. He is already no longer “pregnant” 🙂

He is exactly the type described here: little skin fat, muscular legs and arms and chest, protruding distended belly …

For the record, I am quite the opposite, a rather fatty skin and as far as I know, I’ve had a flat belly all my life. When I grew fat at some point, it was all over. Years of proper diet and training, physical activities, etc, made me look toned and lean 🙂 It’s a lifestyle now.

• laFrite on March 7, 2016 at 11:40

I meant to say: he is NOW in week 4.

8. golooraam on March 7, 2016 at 14:15

Hi Richard

As always, thanks for what you write – am I missing something here? When I think ‘cure’, I think that one is ready of a condition and that it won’t reappear no matter what (to a certain degree)… and I have no doubt that eating just green plants will fix a lot of things – but is this to say if one resumes on a SAD that they won’t be diabetic again? Now, I’m being a little tongue-in-cheek here as I know the point isn’t to ‘eat whatever you want’ and we all need to get a grip with food, hence the beauty of the ‘spud’ plan… I think it’s interesting that on some zero carb plans – I can think of one in particular, where the ‘cure’ is to simply eat plain meat when hungry… and that’s it… no fasting, no bacon bits or gravy on top… meat, that’s it meat… repeat… makes me wonder if it’s elimination of ‘tasty tasty tasty’ that is the real magic here… could one get to the same outcomes using different methods? further thought experiment, is one better than the other? is best some sort of combo the best of both worlds? I do find it interesting and curious if cyclical ketogenic diets could be done in this more ‘pure’ way – alternating ‘meat’ days with ‘spud’ days… just thinking out loud here (btw, thanks for your politics stuff lately)

• Richard Nikoley on March 7, 2016 at 15:40

Well, when you’re cured of a cold virus, it doesn’t mean you can’t get one again.

In this case, it would mean that so long as you don’t do what it takes for you to accumulate fat in and around your liver and pancreas again.

The problem with your tongue in cheek is that there’s both a huge palatability (for most people) difference between just plain meat and just plain potatoes. Moreover, beef is about 50% fat.

1,200 calories of plain potatoes, even though a lot harder to get down, will ultimately fill and satiate you for longer than will 1,200 calories of meat.

• Hap on March 7, 2016 at 15:47

It will certainly light up your dopamine receptors , everywhere. At my age, something to be said for that.

• golooraam on March 7, 2016 at 18:59

great point Richard – that’s what I was thinking as well – I admit, I am a little new to this line of thinking that fat (on it’s own, not coupled with carbs) leads to fat deposits around the liver… I am finding still for me that I am applying your advice to not adding excess calories (topping off with say butter or sour cream) and that is helping shedding weight when I have zero carbs days – that being said I just boiled up 2 lbs of yukon gold taters to have plain (with salt and apple cider vinegar) for a starch day later in the week

• MikeT on March 7, 2016 at 21:04

I am the opposite, having done both hacks over a week, I find potatoes much more palatable than steak. I never count calories so it is ad libitum, but if I am eating nothing but meat for several days, it makes a 2-3 day fast very easy. Whereas, I can just keep eating spuds.

9. David on March 7, 2016 at 16:18

Has anyone considered a diet focused on mostly root vegetables? (Beets, carrots, yams, potatoes, tiger nuts etc.) Is there something special there?

• Hap on March 7, 2016 at 21:05

There isn’t a diet that’s ever been NOT considered. That should tell you something about diets.

10. George Phillips on March 8, 2016 at 03:43

!0 years ago My FBG was around 6.5 to7, I was carrying around 50lb ‘excess’.

In 2008 I used a UK commercial VLCD meal replacement plan. (610-800kcal/day) and lost 50lb in 4 months. FBG drooped to 4.5.

I have since kept the 50lb loss and my FBG remains around 4.5.

• Richard Nikoley on March 8, 2016 at 09:25

Nice, George.

And I’m quite confident many can see reversal or cure on VLC too (I think Steve Cooksey is another great example…but he also lost a ton of weight and kept it off).

A lot can’t including my mom. For whatever reason, just doesn’t do the trick. Plus, rebound can be brutal, which I see a lot in comments.

This is why I’m more down with the low cal “LC” approach, because theat puts the emphasis where it belongs…on intake low enough to get the fat off the organs, less important what meathod.

It kinda irks me when folks tout this stuff as a badge of honor for low carb when the fact is, it’s significant calorie reduction and, given the propensity of LCers above all to emphasize the calories don’t count on LC slogan, it strikes as disingenuous having cake and eati g it too.

• George Phillips on March 9, 2016 at 04:14

It works with support and requires no initial re-education. But rebound is a given unless the pre ‘diet’ eating habits are changed.

The gradual return to ‘normal’ food (the final steps of a replacement program) tends to identify ‘problem’ foods for an individual. (ie what tends to get stored) These can then be reduced.

Re education helps too. Ive been reading your blog for years since I got my weight under control.

11. Alex on March 8, 2016 at 13:56

I stumbled across something just as effective. Borderline diabetic, added potato starch(RS) in an attempt to improve my glucose readings, and RS helped a great deal, dropping me 30 points or so without changing my diet, and bringing me to a borderline normal reading, so I’ve been quite happy with it.

Then my work/school schedule in combination with some crappy sleep patterns made me eat out, since I was too exhausted to worry about cooking. So I’d hit a buffet or a taqueria or something, eat all I wanted and move on with my life. One meal a day, and getting blood readings in the 118 range one hour after a meal, 125 after two hours and 96 after three hours. It’s changed my life, and what turned out to be a change forced onto me by a busy schedule, ended up being something positive.

• TimothyD on March 8, 2016 at 14:52

Doing well on week two of the hack. (5 days on the hack- 2 days normal eating of whole foods). Here is a thought I had though: doesn’t resistant starch get converted by large intestine micro biome into some fatty acids such as butyrate meaning this technically encompasses the ingestion of all three macronutrients? Just thinking out loud. Thanks Richard for all the nutritional cognition over the past 8 years.

12. hap on March 10, 2016 at 17:53

I assume you saw that potatoes linked to lung cancer.

I hear breathing causes lung cancer

• Richard Nikoley on March 11, 2016 at 17:14

“I assume you saw that potatoes linked to lung cancer.”

Boiled & cooled, or deep fried in soybean oil with a double-bacon-cheese side dish?

13. Gabe Abed on March 12, 2016 at 13:07

T2 here, and have let myself go in the past few months. Even low-carb was tough, but really need to manage this weight/blood sugar thing. Toying with doing the 600-800 calorie protocol, as that mimics the study above as well as recommendations for those who have undergone bariatric surgery (600 calories a day for first 2 months, plus smart supplementation). Link here: https://goo.gl/uNGEuq

I think going keto + ultra low carb like this could be a recipe for disaster. I’ll hopefully be able to mix it up with lunch each day, to meet social obligations at work, and not stress too much about macros, except perhaps lay off the bread.

• Gabe Abed on March 12, 2016 at 13:12

*edit: I meant keto + ultra low calorie could be a disaster

14. Charles Nankin on March 12, 2016 at 20:19

lets see the data on unrefined carbs or properly prepared primordial grains or a carb diet without veg oils.

15. Glenn Beeson on March 15, 2016 at 02:46

Okay so first week is complete. Here are some comparo’s:

Starting weight: 199.1
    Current weight: 193.3

Starting fasted blood glucose: 242
    Current fasted blood glucose: 141

How about The Rules?
    800 calories a day based on boiled, cooled red potatoes. Condiments include light salt, ketchup, Texas Pete and sriracha (all used sparingly). Nothing else is placed in my mouth; no diet soda and no other foods. No alcohol either.

Not a bad start though I must say my blood glucose rollercoastered the past three days and that surprised me.

• Glenn Beeson on March 15, 2016 at 05:03

Forgot to mention The Meds
      2x Daily Carvedilol and Naproxen
      Baby Aspirin in the AM
      12u Lantus before bed

I have stopped Metformin and the short term insulin injections for now.

• Richard Nikoley on March 15, 2016 at 07:34

Pretty impressive improvement in such a short time.

Keep us updated please.

16. Glenn Beeson on March 22, 2016 at 02:46

Week two of The Potato Hack is complete.
    No change to the methodology or meds

Starting weight: 199.1
    2nd week weight: 191.1

Starting fasting blood glucose: 242
    2nd week fasting blood glucose: 177

Yep the blood sugar is aggravating to say the least. It is still very unstable – I am trusting in the process and being patient. It is still very early and obviously, my organs are still fat covered. No worries.

• monica on March 25, 2016 at 11:17

Sounds great Glenn, keep it up and keep us updated.

17. Glenn Beeson on March 22, 2016 at 05:42

Actively contemplating shifting gears and modus to the rice diet to possibly accelerate everything. On the fence as of right now though the debate rages in my head. I feel like two weeks on Potato may not be giving it enough time.

18. Glenn Beeson on April 4, 2016 at 03:25

Week Four.
    Starting weight: 199.1
    4th week weight: 187

Starting fasting blood glucose: 242
    4th week fasting blood glucose: 162

• monica on April 4, 2016 at 06:33

This sounds really interesting, Glenn. Your FBG dropped a lot after the first week, then it rose, and, with every week, it continues to go down. I wonder if you are taking the same meds in the same doses.
      Do you have only potatoes since the beginning or you are switching it up some days? I am rooting for you.

• Richard Nikoley on April 4, 2016 at 07:10

That’s getting really encouraging, Glenn.

I’m suspecting that the yuge key is dropping the weight and the VLC (very low calorie) hack seems to be the way, just as the research suggests.

Keep it up. Took way more than a month to get there.

19. Glenn Beeson on April 26, 2016 at 02:53

Week Six
    Starting weight: 199.1
    6th Week weight: 182.2

Starting fasting blood glucose: 242
    6th week fasting blood glucose: 138

Monica – Yes I am primarily using potatoes only. I say primarily because I did try a rice and fruit a couple of times just out of curiosity. I also ate pizza one ‘just to see what would happen’. And yes, I am taking the exact same meds as prescribed with no deviation.

Even though I am not through the eight week course, my number trend weight and glucose would suggest that if I were to drop further, I will certainly have better glucose numbers. That is a good thing and certainly doable.

• monica on April 26, 2016 at 06:01

Sounds awesome, Glenn, I am happy for you. I guess the insulin makes it harder for you to lose weight, but it seems you will get there nevertheless.

20. Glenn Beeson on May 3, 2016 at 02:27

Week Seven
    Starting weight: 199.1
    7th week weight: 180.3

Starting fasting blood glucose: 242
    7th week fasting blood glucose: 133

• LaFrite on May 3, 2016 at 02:44

Hey Glenn,

Good job!
      I don’t know if you want to keep on with spuds only but I suggest you try legumes, especially lentils, and see how they affect your fasting blood glucose. Just an idea, feel free to try.

21. bonni on May 22, 2016 at 08:11

Any idea why those with stomach banding surgery recover from T2 within days, certainly they haven’t lost their pancreatic fat by then?

• Richard Nikoley on May 22, 2016 at 09:57

Haven’t looked at it closely enough to pick out differences but I do know this diet is designed to mimick what happens there.

It could be as simple at a reporting emphasis on the shortest cures for the surgery, verses an emphasis on the 6-8 week cures on the diet in order to show that it’s not altogether too tough of a process given the upside.

But I don’t know for sure.

• monica on May 22, 2016 at 19:57

From my experience with water fasting, even if I cannot possibly lose a lot of fat in 24-72 hours, I can tell the difference in my waistline, and in my blood sugar almost overnight. Apparently, the bad fat around the internal organs is the one to go first, and even losing a small amount of it makes a big difference in blood sugar control.

• bonni on May 23, 2016 at 05:02

I am a petite woman who maybe runs 5 lbs overweight at most, but I have high a1c. I realize that it doesn’t mean that my pancreas doesn’t have a layer of fat causing me trouble, but losing 5-10 lbs doesn’t seem to touch it. (Of course I realize it could have an entirely different cause.) Here’s the thing I had been considering: based on my daughter who saw many doctors but was finally mom-diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), when I first read about stomach surgery patients who immediately recovered from T2, I assumed it was because the “bad” bacteria that researchers claim is prevalent in the obese was effectively removed with the portion of the small intestine that gets removed in some of these surgeries. It would be interesting to break down if those with stomach and sm int surgery recover from T2 at higher rates than those with only stomach surgery/banding.

22. […] Low-Carb & Keto Diets Are Good At Managing Diabetes; But Is There a Cure? […]

23. Benjamin David Steele on December 9, 2018 at 06:48

“Nothing against effective management and some folks in both Paleo and Low-Carb do a damn good competent job at it.”

Many people on paleo, ketogenic, intermittent fasting, and low-carb diets have been able to go off their insulin shots. I don’t know if it is meaningful to say they are ‘cured’ of diabetes in the absolute sense. But certainly they are functionally cured. For certain, they aren’t merely managing their diabetes. But you make the claim that these diets can only manage diabetes.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Many diets potentially can be beneficial. But why do you think that paleo and related diets wouldn’t be able to similarly reduce fat in the liver and pancreas?

For many, the paleo diet means caloric decrease, as ketosis cuts out cravings. On top of that, many paleo dieters use intermittent fasting and reduced eating time periods. For example, my paleo diet consists of eating in a 4 hour period for three days, fasting entirely one day, and eating all day long for the other three days. I don’t count calories, but I’m certain my caloric intake is way down and so has my weight, whatever that might indicate about fat around the liver and pancreas.

Some paleo advocates even speak of carb cycling. Maybe a day or two a week, they recommend eating higher levels of carbs. This could include potatoes, if that floats your boat, but most paleolist would prefer a sweet potato to a white potato. Another way of doing carb cycling is on a larger scale such as mimicing the seasonal diet of northern hunter-gatherers by eating more carbs in the warm part of the year.

However one dices it, I’m just not seeing the argument for the paleo diet being limited to diabetes management. The main points you talk about here can also apply to the paleo diet and for many paleoists it is how they do their own diet. But based on your stated views, I have to assume that you were doing a high caloric and severely carb restrictive paleo diet. I’d just point out that such a way of eating is just one possibility among many within the general guidelines of paleo recommendations.

Then again, maybe I’m misunderstanding something about your argument. That is always a possibility.