Cooking In An Off Grid RV With Plated And Blue Apron

I have zero grid-electricity or water pressure (gravity feed from collection tanks). The Internet is via radio, solar, and batteries. I have to take tanks down to fill the gas; and a guy comes by to empty the shit tank every week.

Still, I manage to cook, instead of do what people who live in mansions often do and get fatter and fatter.

While we eat rather peasant style the rest of the time, I try to do three over-the-top meals every week. Plated and Blue Apron have helped, especially because I have a micro kitchen, yet with stove, oven, pots and pans.

I do three meals per week for two, and here’s what it looks like last few weeks.

IMG_0365

IMG_0439

IMG_0360

IMG_0349

IMG_0340

IMG_0336

Alright.

Blue Apron ought to be delivering soon.

1. RHull on April 19, 2016 at 13:48

Hi Richard,
    Those look delicious! Since you’ve wandered in the blue zone land of centenarian peasant food, I’m wondering your thoughts on beans. I’m getting that you’re good with eating them more often now than in a paleoish past, and that it’s probably a complainlypants tendency to care too much about those phytates and lectins. But what about that one bean, you know, that one with the most protein but phytosterols and even more lectins? Is eating soy more often (edamame or the matured bean) pushing the bean envelope too far? I thought to ask you about it because I couldn’t tell if there was edamame in your topmost picture or if those green dots were peas.
    Are you still against too much soy or will we be peasently surprised (see what I did there?) with some soy approval?

• Richard Nikoley on April 19, 2016 at 13:59

Green peas.

I had a pod or two of edamame just last week, over miso soup and a plate of maguro, saki, and unagi.

I have a pot of pinto beans on the stove right now, cooked in a quart of beef stock plus enough water.

Bea brought home made tamales, home made masa and all. Pork, chicken, and cheese (with jalapeño). So, rounding that out essential like.

2. Cathy on April 19, 2016 at 16:45

Which of these pics are blue apron and which are plated? A friend gave me a free week of blue apron. I looked at their websites as well as hello fresh and though blue as pron , visually, edged out plated. I’d be interested to know how you think they stack up.

• Richard Nikoley on April 19, 2016 at 19:47

Most are plated. Only on the 2nd week of BA.

Both are fantastic. Since there is no solid subscription, you can just skip a week any time, so I pick the menu I like best, skip the other.

Plated has way more options, like 10 regular items, and you can pick any you want, in any mix. BA essentially has six, three omnivore and three veg, and mix is limited. Picking something might exclude others as an option. That said, BA always has three solid protein dishes.

The other thing with plated is they have upgrade options. So you can pay $12 more and get a great salmon filet dish, rack of lamb, etc. And they always have two dessert ad-ons. $8. You see two of them up there, the cinnamon rolls (took the pic before the glaze) and the carmelized apple shortcake (the whip cream is hand whipped).

Plated is $70 per week for the six meals and BA is $50. Plated is a bit more elegant and complex, and the protein portions a slight bit more substantial. I give the edge to Plated but not by much.

I love them both and it really comes down to the best menu for the week.

3. solver on April 20, 2016 at 03:09

Modern life is a trap that has caught so many and made them slaves. So many simple fools who cannot think for themselves aspire to the most pointless achievements. It’s so good to see that you are not. I can tell you this. Keep it up. Be a cunt. Follow no one. And never, never ever let anyone touch your sphincter with their thumb.

• Hegemon on April 20, 2016 at 17:21

While I still strive to better myself, I have learned some of the lessons of which you speak. Years back I wanted to be a high up in a company, and as I have gotten closer to getting that title that would mean I “made it”, I realized it isn’t what I want. So I’m presently mulling over my future and plan to plunge into something completely new and entirely out of my element by the end of this year. I may fall flat on my face, or it may be the best thing I’ve ever done. Either way I will learn and grow, and i plan on having a hell of a good time doing it!

• Richard Nikoley on April 20, 2016 at 21:27

Very cool. Love both comments. In particular, I now have an additional caution to guard against as concerns my sphincter.

And you can’t be too careful about that. Just watch dogs. They have an entire appendage wholly devoted to sphincter protection. And when it’s not doing direct guard duty, it’s trying to wag and woo and charm anyone and everyone off putting a thumb or paw on it.

Protect your sphincters, people! Otherwise, the terrorists have won.

4. ramon on April 21, 2016 at 07:20

Dishes look great.
    What are the black items inthe first dish with the peas? Mushrooms, black pasta?

thanks
    ramon

• Richard Nikoley on April 21, 2016 at 07:41

That is cuttlefish ink pasta. Crazy good. I got it perfectly al dente and the leftovers next day right out of the fridge were wonderfully chewy.

5. Woodchuck Pirate on April 21, 2016 at 10:16

Hi Richard,

Congratulations on your continuing simplicity. I’ve got 7 chickens (Rhode Island Reds), approaching 5 weeks old next Sunday. If you ever evolve toward less transient lifestyle you might enjoy raising some layers. I can’t explain properly how much I see within the eye of a chicken; friend and food. They are constantly entertaining and it’s awesome to watch them free range with no fences. It returns thought to the physical and mental fencing that needs to be removed from human livestock. The myth of sustainable civilization remains stamped upon the foreheads of humans around the globe. The so-called farm folk here are equally delusional.

Nearly all farm land here has idled for decades, as entitlements and free shit army public school indoctrination seals the commitment to extinction en masse. Two of the three school districts in this valley of approximately 20 thousand people, saw teacher unions strike simultaneously this week. One union folded 2 days later after discovering the lack of humor present in property tax-payer mindset. I’m way ahead of the curve and have definite plans to turn them out.

I’ve got an extra house I don’t need in the 3rd district still working. If they strike I’ll likely send a letter carbon copied to the newspaper giving formal notice that I’m ceasing all tax bill payments assessed on that property. I bought the place for 30 grand 26 years ago. I recently obtained realtor comps with consensus of present fair market value fallen to same 30 grand. Tax burdens are insane here and assessments are now double fair market value. One town (Chemung where my farm is) suspended this year’s en masse reassessment efforts. Apparently they realized assessments would decline, and tax rates rise simultaneously in the face of mathematical reality. Nah, such creatures would expire if exposed to deadly sunlight. They have not own. They’ve simply postponed their demise.

Me, I visited the bank 4 years ago in anticipation of property value erosion and accepted their opinion of 64 grand appraisal. I promptly drew out 45 grand on an interest only HELOC, no closing costs. When faced with the inevitable march of zombie banks and zombie gov’t employee unions, I transfer the fight. Let the taxman and banker fight, I’ll cheer with the chickens. I don’t hold paper money, and they’ll never find coin on my person. Me and the chickens didn’t start this fight but we’ll always be better at it. Whoever is long dollars (paper assets) is guaranteed to lose. Far and wide all the chickens see are losers, but then they got no concept of fences. I see to that, and learn from it. Eventually every employee gets eaten.

Enjoy your day.

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

6. Pork Chops and Fruit, Home Chef Version on August 4, 2016 at 15:43

[…] I wrote some time ago, I’ve been—and very enthusiastically continue to be—a big fan of the chef-it-yourself […]