The Biggest Battle In Curing Type 2 Diabetes is a War Over Wrong Ideologies Competing

Never let peace and good health stand in the way of a good war and health management.

I’ll make a prediction. In the coming months, you are going to witness an intensifying in the role of low carbohydrate and/or ketogenic diets to manage Type 2 diabetes, and then crickets. It is, arguably, the best management intervention ever, and it makes sense, since it goes to the source. The source is, of course, blood glucose, concomitant insulin response, et cetera, et cetera.

Management is the key that lost sight of the lock.

The business plan flows from pretty solid stuff. I recall as a lad in the 70’s, people in naturalistic-wholististic—we got raw eggs and milk from friends—were all on about the nefarious nature inherent in treating symptoms rather than curing foundational causes.

Damn my damn memory. So what causes Type 2 diabetes?

…Whilst one can short circuit blood glucose via carbohydrate restriction, its only true virtue is that it’s not a drug. One of the reasons the low-carbohydrate / Atkins community embraced the paleo community is that they were both whores, in a sense. They feed off one-another; and initially, it was wizbang and the general movement that paleo was brining to the table was too much for the LCers to resist and in exchange, paleo was like: see, fat gluttony!

Both movements are really mostly about [nutritionally vapid] fat gluttony.

It’s just that paleo showed the Low Carbers a marketing and promotional way that didn’t rely only upon a supermarket isle of processed shit in packages. In turn, LCers showed the opportunist Paleos how to market a supermarket isle of shit in packages.

In the end: ‘fat is OK, it’s good,’ was destined to turn into fat gluttony.

From my perspective now, it’s hopefully the last gluttony. Gluttony is probably not a good strategy for anyone ever, regardless of macronutrient mix.

We live in a world of Yins and Yangs….that’s what we got from those who saw Enlightenment a bit different.

I’ll deal with one potential argument, first:

Anyone can easily say that controlling BG by restricting carbohydrate is dealing at the source and that’s true. But there’s premise smuggling going on. It is the notion that humans can’t handle glycemic, insulin spiking foods.

A couch potato can’t handle a flight of stairs or a 30-minute stint on a treadmill at an 8-minute-per-mile pace.

Congratulations! You’ve managed exercise.

I previously blogged about the best Type-2 Diabetes solution here:

1. Low-Carb & Keto Diets Are Good At Managing Diabetes; But Is There a Cure?
  2. Type II Diabetes Reversal On 800 Calories Per Day

You’re completely welcome to continue for as long as you can tolerate—up to a point of your own outrage—managing your incurable affliction.

Here’s another one and you’ll be seeing more. D.M., an old SPX credit-spread options trading buddy who watched me make and lose as much money I saw him make and lose, just emailed me this:

New research raises possibility of reversing Type 2 diabetes

But MANAGEMENT is where the money, prestige, influence, and authority is at. This will be ignored up until the point it’s embraced. I’ll be interesting to watch how the merchants of fat gluttony and calories-never-matter pull their underpants from around their ankles when person after person flips them off, cured of diabetes in 8 weeks.

Keep pulling their underpants down around their ankles. It’s simply repetitive. We know that figuratively, they’re halfway there. They simply can’t manage their way around this. Make them fess up or at least, be the pussies they are, about it.

A cure puts a lot of people out.

…Oh, BTW, Glenn, part of that post in #2 above, just rang in on week six results on 800 kcal per day, potato-only version:

Week Six

Starting weight: 199.1
6th Week weight: 182.2

Starting fasting blood glucose: 242
6th week fasting blood glucose: 138

Monica – Yes I am primarily using potatoes only. I say primarily because I did try a rice and fruit a couple of times just out of curiosity. I also ate pizza once ‘just to see what would happen’.

Even though I am not through the eight week course, my number trend weight and glucose would suggest that if I were to drop further, I will certainly have better glucose numbers. That is a good thing and certainly doable.

I see everything. What I mostly see is intransigence.

I also see guilty people; gurus, managers, authorities. I’m going to be charitable, however. For now.

…But if you’re perceptive you will note. Many will opt for management attention over cure. And once you understand how that’s possible, you’re well on your way to red-pill digestion.

1. thhq on April 26, 2016 at 18:54

This worked for me. My doctor gave it to me after diagnosing Type 2.

Within two weeks my fasting blood glucose was down to 100. After 6 months my weight was down 50 pounds. My doctor said I no longer had Type 2 at my annual physical the next year.

Paleos and HFLCers say carb counting won’t work. They’re wrong about that. They also say it’s hard to follow. They’re right there. Most people don’t put up with it for very long, go back to their old habits, and fail…though they also fail at Paleo and HFLC for the same reason….

Being able to eat a wide range of foods, outside the ranges Paleo/fruitarians/vegans/HFLC/Atkins allow, seems more desirable to me for living a long and happy life. I only needed to fully comply with the carb counting methodology for a month or two. My weight loss continued when I put high glycemic carbs back into my diet, without affecting my blood glucose. As you’re finding out those high glycemic potatoes aren’t the devil once you understand how to use them.

2. Greg Bryson on April 26, 2016 at 17:47

As an acupuncturist I can help but notice “Yings and Yangs.” I think you meant Yins and Yangs.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment of the article. I’ve long thought Type II diabetes was manageable without drugs and probably curable in most. Love your blog. Keep thinking outside the box and prodding the rest of us to do the same.

• Richard Nikoley on April 26, 2016 at 18:08

LOL.

That must have been while channel. Been telling he it’s “yin” not “ying” forever.

3. Tim Steele on April 26, 2016 at 21:40

I think it’s time that everyone ditch the term “Paleo” and just start calling it the “Whole Food” diet, or something similar. From the pdf that thhq linked above:

“Healthy eating also means watching your portion sizes and
    choosing foods that are not processed. (Processed foods are any
    foods that have been altered from their natural state. Processed
    foods may contain added salt, sugar, or fat. Examples include
    breakfast cereals, deli meats, and microwavable meals.”

This is a very difficult concept for most people to grasp. Probably 90% of the foods most people eat are processed, unless you really get out of your comfort zone and learn how to buy and cook real food. Frozen burritoes, pizza, bacon, lunch meat, Pop-Tarts, cereal, breads and pastries, Hamburger Helper… I found that ditching these type foods was easy, but cooking is no longer convenient. You have to plan a bit more, and things may not be as tasty as manufactured foods are.

• Dan Almasan on April 26, 2016 at 23:09

Tim, they call it Paleo because it gives you the feeling of belonging to a tribe. And people love to belong to a tribe. Eating whole foods does not sound sexy. Eating like a caveman does.

And one more thing about concept of eating whole foods. Even the most innocent processing (removing the shells from the nuts for example) makes people eat too much. Eating one nut at a time versus ” a handful of nuts” (which is never a single handful, for me it’s at least 2-3 :)) sounds familiar?

And I love your book. You did a great job!

• thhq on April 27, 2016 at 07:07

Whichever way you go you need to stick with it for months to years. It helps if you have a muse. For some people it’s Paleo, for others it’s Atkins, and others it’s Pritikin. They all work. It’s irritating that people think that their path is exclusively true because it turns civil discussion into conflicts. I take the bits I like from all of them. It’s regrettable that a vegan can’t eat Hangtown fry, or a Paleo can’t eat ajiaco.

But that’s not my problem and I’m not going to debate it with them.

• Joe Blowe on April 27, 2016 at 08:52

“I think it’s time that everyone ditch the term ‘Paleo’ and just start calling it the ‘Whole Food’ diet…”

This used to be called, “Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.”

“Eating whole foods does not sound sexy. Eating like a caveman does.”

No one wants to eat like grandma…

• LaFrite on April 28, 2016 at 00:52

TBH, it does not take that long to cook something from scratch. The real disease in all this is lazyness coupled with passivity.

4. Robin on April 27, 2016 at 06:51

Richard –

I don’t know who in the LC world is advocating that it can’t be reversed or cured. Richard Bernstein, Jason Fung and others have all said you can reverse it with fat loss. It just doesn’t work for everyone because of glucose toxicity.

Bariatric surgery patients reverse diabetes but the diet they have to follow is forever high protein and moderate carb/fat. It’s never back to high carb eating for them.

That study you link to with Roy Taylor and New Castle is a PSMF / Ketogenic diet. The Doc measures ketones to ensure adherence. He only is able to hit 40%.

My point is that a lot of people with Type II will get better with fat loss but they may still have to manage / moderate their carb intake.

Take a listen to what some folks Dr. Bernstein are saying about this – they agree that if Type II is caught early it can be reversed.

I’m all for everything you are saying – whole foods, legumes, healthy potatoes etc. But I think for the diabetics – this LC thing is probably here to stay.

Robin

• Thhq on April 27, 2016 at 13:20

Based on my experience, lowering high glycemic carbs was PART of an effective non-drug/no-surgery intervention strategy to cure Type II. But losing 50 lbs by exercising and eating less was the long term treatment of the underlying prolem of too much visceral fat. LC works right away on the high blood sugar symptom but does not necessarily need to be continued. I developed Type II between annual blood tests at age 53, and was pronounced cured at age 54 after weight loss. Someone who does not reduce their visceral fat could very well have to stay on a LC diet indefinitely.

• LaFrite on April 28, 2016 at 01:01

High blood sugar in type 2 is most likely due to glucagon that keeps telling the liver to spit out glucose from glycogen stores. Insulin is supposed to have a paracrine effect on pancreatic alpha-cells so that they stop secreting glucagon for a while (sorry for the pedantic bit here). So in this condition, when you eat carbs, exogenous glucose adds up to the already high endogenous circulating glucose. To restore healthy pancreatic function, you need to eat little for a few weeks. The liver takes a few days to be cleared according to studies looking into the so-called Newcastle diet. Get the ectopic fat cleared away for good and you should be fine. Adopt an adequate lifestyle afterwards for everybody has a different threshold when it comes to ectopic fat. E.g. people with a lot of subcutaneous adipose tissue are less at risk for the skin fat store is where excess energy intake will most likely be trapped (not very aesthetic but better than screwing up your visceral organs).

5. Jeff D on April 28, 2016 at 09:42

“The real disease in all this is lazyness (sic) and passivity.” Perhaps. I have been following a “whole foods” lifestyle for over 10 years now, cooking at home for most of my meals and eating restaurant food and processed foods less than 10% of the time I’m sure. As a male in my mid40’s I have never struggled with weight and my fasting BG is in the 80’s so the issue of T2D isn’t my concern except that I’ve always been curious about what I might do should I be diagnosed with any of the diseases of modern civilization. But following that lifestyle is a bitch, especially in today’s society with work demands, kids, etc. etc……. I have, at increasingly common times, grown weary of preparing all this food for myself. It’s a pain in the ass. So I wouldn’t attribute buying processed food to laziness per se, but it’s just a symptom of our busy way of life. For instance, one would hardly expect a long-haul trucker to prepare home cook meals for himself every day. He’s going to eat truckstop food. That’s just one example. The great thing about the potato diet or beans, rice et al is that it goes along way toward freeing one of the tyranny of thinking about food all the time. One can be really healthy with so much less work and time involved.

• LaFrite on April 28, 2016 at 12:23

But that’s precisely what I mean: one does not have to cook EVERY SINGLE DAY! make big batches of simple foods during half a day (week-end time or one evening), and feed on that for many days. It is simple. The other issue I did not mention is that there is this odd idea that we should eat different stuff at every meal “or it gets boring”. This is (in my opinion) nonsense. My wife keeps saying that we should vary every day. I don’t subscribe to this, we are not kings and queens of old. If I were single without wife and kids, I would be on the simplest diet that would still keep me healthy and sane with an occasional hedonistic day (not every single day!). If I had to invent a new meal every time I am cooking, I would go crazy!

The laziness I am talking about is that which makes you NOT interested in WHAT you ingest.

6. Amy on April 28, 2016 at 13:09

Glenn, go, BF, go! What a great freaking-A result!!! :thumbsup:

Low fat, starchy carbs, and choline/acetylcholine are the keys to diabetes cure. I am currently on my fourth day of a very low fat (VLF) classic “Rice Diet” (google it). I’m not potato hacking because I’ve been too lazy to peel the potatoes, which I have to do because too much potato skin makes my joints hurt. Throwing rice in a pot is much easier. Also not potato hacking because the classic Rice Diet allows for more variety of food (like skim milk and fruit), and I’m pretty much past the point where my tastebuds need to be reset to that degree. I don’t want cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes any more, although a variety of low fat, healthy food is welcome.

Anyway, I’ve had hyperglycemia for years (130’s-140’s). If I’d been under strict doctor supervision I would have been diagnosed as diabetic long ago. Then several years ago, fasting glucose spiked to almost 200 for over a year after an iron transfusion.

Then I took a nootropic stack to increase acetylcholine and got sick from it after a month or so. But after I got well from this “choline flu” my glucose had come down permanently into the 120’s-130’s (better than before the transfusion). That’s where it’s been for the last 1.5 years or so. When I potato hacked or fasted it would come down transiently but go back up again as soon as I began to eat normally (which means a meaningful amount of fat).

Recently I started jacking around with acetylcholine again via acetyl-l-carnitine, phospholipid powder, and acetylcholinesterase inhibitors like huperzine. My blood sugar fell 20 clicks within a couple weeks, to the low 100’s to 110’s without changing my diet.

Now I’m 4 days into the Rice Diet thing plus still doing my acetylcholine regimen, and my fasting glucose has been under 100 every morning since I started.

Point is that choline supplmentation can help significantly with reducing blood sugar *even without a change in diet*. When I did that first stack that made me sick, my diet was utter shit, and it still helped me. This second go-round with choline/acetylcholine and my diet was much better, even though high-ish in fat. Even with the fat, it helped.

So acetylcholine supplmentation + very low fat/high carb diet like Potato Hack or Rice Diet is the diabetes KILLER. I no longer consider myself an “undiagnosed diabetic”. I think I’ve licked the beast.

There are sides that can go with choline supplementation so researching and starting carefully is advised. Achieving my “choline flu” state is probably not advisable, as hindsight shows me it likely was a sign of too much acetylcholine. Undesirable in the main, even if it did seem to do me some good.

I also don’t understand exactly why choline/acetylcholine works yet, although I’m trying to piece that together. I hope to write something up on it soon. A lot of interesting, tantalizing info out there. Of course it has to do with the liver. I’m convinced now that those old left-field, bark-eating beatniks and hippies from the early- and mid-20th century were correct: everything redounds to the liver, even gut health.

This is just an FYI post, not a “how-to” or “why it works” post. Choline deficiency is often present in the elderly, so it might be something to think of for your mom, Richard. It’s a relatively easy, inexpensive hack that has potential to yield stunning results.

Peace and groovy vibes to all! 🙂

7. Jeff D on April 28, 2016 at 18:52

Ah yes LaFrite. Now I see. It has just taken me a long time to figure out what you are saying. Now if I could just convince my wife to eat leftovers….

• LaFrite on April 29, 2016 at 01:18

Yeah, same here. This week, I have been on the same dish for like 3 days in a row, she can’t stand it and has to prepare something different for herself 😀