Camille Paglia: “This generation of young people have been trained throughout middle school, high school, and college to be subservient to authority.”

Call it a Sunday diversion, but I’ve been both an atheist, an anarchist, and a “principlesist” for nearing 30 years without a single reflexive regret and I’ve dealt with leftists and commies (redundancy) all that time and their arguments are always defensive.

Here’s a leftie, a lesbian, a fan of Bernie…who nonetheless takes you on a voyage of art  and culture as history, talking the modern college campus. It’s the rare species of an honest leftie. First one I’ve ever encountered.

You see, Camile Paglia—whom I’ve been catching here and there since 1991—shows you exactly what it means to be objective in regard to your view of art, history, cultural revolution, sex, and all sorts of stuff she’s spent her life gaining deep insight into.

I typically don’t watch long videos but when Reason insisted with a different tact post, I thought I might put in the 30 minutes.

It was worth it.

Today’s College Students Worship Authority and That’s Destroying American Universities

Listen and weep, leftist worms.

1. Hap on May 23, 2016 at 09:34

Always interesting to hear from Camille………and absolutely on target. Religion=art? Not so sure about that.

Hope she continues to fight…..and write.

Spitballs at a battleship.

2. gab on May 24, 2016 at 13:54

Somehow I’ve managed to live my life without hearing this woman’s voice or seeing her face. Now I can’t undo it.

3. pzo on May 31, 2016 at 06:37

Hey, I’m an honest leftie, too! Like Paglia, I don’t climb on board all of the approved leftist rants.

I’ve been a Paglia fan since Sexual Personna (???), so many years ago.

I need to come back and watch the video, but per your headline, I want to say that our generation, Camille’s and mine, were MUCH more likely to hew to authoritarian demands and perspectives, at least until we became hippies and put up those “Question Authority” posters. LOL.

4. pzo on May 31, 2016 at 14:25

OK, I’ve watched it now. I took the subtitle here as meaning something different than what she talks about.

Duly chastised.

Still agreeing with her after 26 years on 99% of what she says. Within that interview, especially about so many women being miserable because they refuse to acknowledge their biology’s. They’ve been told since Steinem that they can have it all; when the evidence is otherwise, they blame everyone and everything other than the messengers who lied to them.

There is a great conversation between Bill Maher and Camille Paglia many years ago here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-chbRF8z-c He’s a great fan of hers, too.

See? There are more than one or two of us lefties that are independent thinkers and can reject the Official Dogma of the Left.

• Richard Nikoley on May 31, 2016 at 15:12

You seem defensive, PZO.

Always a sign of trouble. Better keep checking your left shoe size.

• Richard Nikoley on May 31, 2016 at 15:39

Maher had his moments back then and Paglia is as she’s always been. The “date rape” bit is gold.

At any rate, Paglia has maintained her integrity, largely whereas, it’s tough for me to draw a distinction between Maher the 60-80% leftie and Takei, the 100% leftie.

Leftism is a fucking cancer eating away at minds.