Dr. Mark Hyman On Resistant Starch

Really decent short introduction to Resistant Starch by the doc. I didn’t really know much about him, but plugging around this morning leads to me conclude that Hyman’s dietary recommendation are pretty damn sensible.

But wait, you say, don’t carbs contribute to insulin resistance, heart disease and other health concerns?

Some do, but the truth is more complicated. You see, “carbohydrates” encompasses a huge category. A hot fudge sundae and cauliflower both fall into the “carbs” category, yet they are entirely different foods.

Nor is a potato a can of Coca-Cola.

He even plugs taking 2 TBS of Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch.

1. Lasse on May 2, 2016 at 11:17

Hi Richard.

Regarding resistant starch, I listened to a recent Paleo Solution podcast with Grace Liu:

She mentions all kinds of bad effects from human consumption of raw resistant starch such as potato starch, and that she has changed her opinion about it drastically. What is that all about? Is it a bad idea to use raw potato starch?

• Richard Nikoley on May 2, 2016 at 11:32

I am not of the opinion that Grace Liu knows what she’s talking about on this matter. Essentially, it’s a “woman scorned” thing, and that’s about it. She’s being dishonest, in my opinion.

• Richard Nikoley on May 2, 2016 at 12:08

Also, see Tim’s post on this.

“Thus far, there is only one lone voice in the wilderness speaking against PS. Claiming it “feeds yeast” and “leads to colon cancer.” I call BS. There are thousands of research articles extolling the virtues of resistant starch, potato starch is just one form of RS. It’s cheap, effective, and minimally processed, unlike the fiber bars and powders available as fiber supplements on supermarket shelves.”

• Nenad Kojić on May 2, 2016 at 22:37

Well, if you wan’t to be sure, than just cook it and cool it. Even the “goddess” is on board with RS3.

• Lasse on May 3, 2016 at 02:42

Oh no. Once again one has to choose who to trust. guess I have to go with my gut on that one 😉

Does the cook and cool trick also apply to isolated potato starch and not just whole potatoes, Nenad Kojić?

• Nenad Kojić on May 3, 2016 at 03:19

Personally I’m not a fan of “starch powders”. I like whole potatoes very much. 😀

But if you like it isolated, I don’t see why it wouldn’t retrograde if you make it into something. Like a pancake for example. I have actually tried making “starch pancakes” once or twice and putting them into the freezer. They come out pretty dry, so I’d say a good portion would have “water squeezed out” and had retrograded back into RS3.

2. Nenad Kojić on May 3, 2016 at 03:22

Regarding the “trust”… “Goddess” is saying human’s should not eat “raw starch” because it feeds “hamster bugs”. Well, I call bullshit. Real life hunter gatherers eat raw starch and don’t look anything like hamsters to me.

• Richard Nikoley on May 3, 2016 at 08:21

And humans and ancestors were chowing down on tigernuts for 4 million years. Baboons eat them to this day. They don’t look like hamsters either.

Grace just has to vye for attention.

3. Alejandro on May 3, 2016 at 15:10

Can’t believe you cited this opportunistic charlatan.

He was a dean ornish, then came out with a book about fat.

Trend hopper. Essentially the new asprey.

• Richard Nikoley on May 3, 2016 at 16:44

“Can’t believe.”

That’s when I knew you were going to lie to me.

4. Prof. Ayers on May 4, 2016 at 16:17

Isn’t he one of Dr. Oz’s food felons?

5. miasmo on May 21, 2016 at 10:41

I followed the advice of this website and ate potato starch everyday. My belly started to get fatter. I stopped a few months ago. I just listened to the podcast in question, and Grace’s explanation makes sense and seems to be backed up by data from her own practice – testing the gut biome of patients who were eating potato starch. You guys can stick to your guns if you want to, but I think you should take her critique more seriously and address it with more than just “woman scorned” personal insults.

• Richard Nikoley on May 21, 2016 at 10:46

OK, you’re the 1%. I have thousands of comments from over 130 posts, and over 10,000 purchases of Bob’s during that time from my Amazon links that tell the story of the 99%.

Grace’s “testing” is bullshit. Verified many times, even myself. Two samples from the same shit stair submitted the same time, vastly different testing results.

Hope your fat belly from no appreciable calories gets fixed. Hope water doesn’t start giving you a fat belly.

• Nenad Kojić on May 21, 2016 at 12:19

Funny how confident you are it was a potato starch that made you fatter. Besides, in what context? Still eating slabs of butter with your stakes? No carbs?

And really, we have talked about potential drawbacks. Maybe shoveling loads of raw starch to a carnivorous/dysbiotic gut is a problem and not potato starch per se.